[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 33 – Sky Lord

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 33 – Sky Lord

Post by Thaluikhain »

Step beneath, I guess.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Step beneath.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Jang Mistral will step beneath the ring.

You feel giddy and close your eyes. When you open them, you find yourself standing alone in a cylindrical tube, ten feet high and four feet wide. As you study it, touching its walls, the transmat cylinder gently revolves, revealing a thin, rectangular opening. Stepping through, you alight upon a long-spanned causeway located several miles above the floor of an immense, ovoid chamber. Around you, in mid-air, elegant diamond, snowflake and cuboid lanterns drift lazily past, mingling rich tinctures of ochre, magenta and puce. Slender canals and rainbow rivers with fine bridges of shining metal leap through spaces, straining between horizons. Deserted manors, museums, libraries and temples of fanciful design adjoin gardens, wondrous sculptures and sparkling holograms. You have entered Vault 5, the principal domicile of Old Aarok. Radiation levels here are still quite high. Miles away to the north-west, you discern the colourful Dome of Marvels, its base veiled in mist. The planet’s defence centre is installed in Vault 6, directly beneath the dome. Unfortunately, your causeway runs southwest to north-east, passing high to the right of your target. You deliberate for some time before setting off. Will you march along the causeway north-east (turn to 318), or south-west (turn to 202)?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 14 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 6 Initial Luck = 12
RATING: 6
CREDITS: 8 Initial = 10
OXYGEN SUPPLY POINTS: 10 Initial = 10
NOTES AND ITEMS:
6 Provision Tablets
Flask of Strong Acid
Bottle of Acid
RESURRECTIONS: 2[/spoiler]

Space Combat Sheet:
[spoiler]STARSHIP: STARSPRAY
DATA: 4 HIGH POWER LASERS L
8 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

South-west.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Southwest sounds good.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, southwest.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Jang Mistral will march along the causeway south-west.

For several hours you follow the causeway: beyond esplanades overlooking oceans of space, past apartments with crystal walls and ivory colonnades, over streams of liquid gold. During all this time, colourful lanterns ascend towards the roof, changing hue and casting smaller, dark shadows across your way: mid-day approaches. Pausing for refreshment, you review your position. The dome is now about ten miles to your north: somewhat closer than before but, with your own path continuing southwest beyond sight, no more accessible. You sigh and, deciding to return north-east, turn your back on the dome. Nearby, upon a huge glass pontoon, golden chrysanthemums, white star-dews and crimson thunderheads bloom upon the banks of a sweetly smelling lake. How odd! Only now do you perceive the significance of the immaculate gardens and terraces you have been passing all morning. They have all been tended by someone – or something! Sense-sharpened by this though, you suddenly detect a movement among the willow-reeds. A bright yellow eye unexpectedly appears. Almost simultaneously, a voice screams, ‘Drop your weapons, four-arms, or you’re charcoal!’ Will you relinquish your weapons (turn to 252), or dive for cover, firing your laser (turn to 19)?

Please vote before 9:00 PM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'm reluctant to relinquish our weapons to lightly. I vote to dive for cover.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, dive for cover.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Keep our weapons, diver for cover.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Diving for cover received 3 votes, so Jang Mistral will do that.

There is a loud blast from the reeds, and you are hit by molten steel, glass and plastic. Deduct 3 points from your STAMINA. With no other choice, you surrender. Turn to 252.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Wriggling through the reeds is an exotic, striped thing with a slug’s head and torso, two stumpy forearms, leathery flukes and fins. It examines you in a somewhat pernickety manner while menacing you with a multi-barrelled blunderbuss. Eventually it grins toothily. ‘So you’re a real, then! Sorry, but one must be careful nowadays. Oh, for the good old days!’ The beast returns your weapons and strikes up a conversation. Apparently it was manufactured by L’Bastin when he first arrived on Aarok. ‘Many weird things came out of his tubs in the early days,’ the creature reminisces. ‘I had good friends among them. We were just part of his grand experiment, of course: small steps towards the discovery of his “perfect” life-form. But I was a failure. He said I was too sensitive, and cared too much for the trees and shrubs. Sambuch the Snail he called me.’ It snickers. ‘Please, call me Sam!’ One day, Sam accidentally overheard a conversation between L’Bastin and a servant. ‘When I heard that I was to be returned to the pot, I decided to escape. So here I am, though not out of trouble yet, I may add.’ Sam pauses abruptly, rubs his stalked eyes, then chooses his words carefully. ‘You seem a generous soul to me. Perhaps you would be kind enough to help me out of, er, a minor predicament?’ Something in his remarks disturbs you. Has he been telling you the truth? If you decide to help him, turn to 144; otherwise, turn to 218.

Please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
STAMINA: 11 Initial Stamina = 24
RATING: 6
NOTES AND ITEMS:
6 Provision Tablets
Flask of Strong Acid
Bottle of Acid
RESURRECTIONS: 2[/spoiler]

Space Combat Sheet:
8 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Help random slug monser.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Might as well help him (and face his sudden but inevitable betrayal afterwards).
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Help out Jabba the Hutt Sam.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Help him.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Jang Mistral will help him. And sorry for the delay, as this morning was hectic.

‘Wonderful!’ Sam exclaims. ‘You see, L’Bastin sent a diabolical creature, a Kanberran Mogs monster, to kill me. It would have got me soon, too, but for your generous offer of help.’ Sam now leads you to an old iron barge hidden among the reeds. ‘The Mogs monster dwells on a barge, somewhat similar to this, in the middle of the lake. If you take this boat out now, you may catch it unawares. Of course, I would do this myself except, well, I lack the heart for fighting. It was not built within me, so to speak!’ Somewhat flustered, you heave your craft into the lake, preparing for your assault. Turn to 353.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Your ship is a ridiculous contraption: all popped rivets and buckled plates, and leaking like a sieve. Crouching uncomfortably behind the tiny wheelhouse, you manoeuvre the vessel, and yourself, into deep water. Slowly, and in jerks, you approach the enemy craft: a sleek white cutter bristling with lasers – not at all what you had expected. Your chances appear slim. Will you fire a salvo into her starboard side (turn to 146), or steam at full speed across her bow (turn to 170)?

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, I will have Jang Mistral steam at full speed across her bow.

Passing before her bow, you fire the lasers at the wheelhouse. A direct hit results, smoke billows, and molten metal flies in all directions. Mogs, screaming with rage, appears on deck, to leap behind a twin-barrelled laser.

MOGS’ CUTTER RATING 9 LASERS 2 SHIELDS 10
YOUR OLD BARGE RATING - LASERS 3 SHIELDS 7

If you win, turn to 69.

The fight:
[spoiler]Mogs’ Cutter shoots first since its rating is higher than the player’s (6).
Round 1: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 1, Player Shields: 5;
Player Attack Roll: 3, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 10
Round 2: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 5, Player Shields: 5;
Player Attack Roll: 4, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 10
Round 3: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 1, Player Shields: 3;
Player Attack Roll: 4, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 10
Round 4: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 5, Player Shields: 3;
Player Attack Roll: 3, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 10
Round 5: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 1, Player Shields: 1;
Player Attack Roll: 2, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 8
Round 6: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 1, Player Shields: -1;

Player is killed, 1 resurrection used to restore player’s Shields.

Player Attack Roll: 1, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 6
Round 7: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 2, Player Shields: 5;
Player Attack Roll: 4, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 6
Round 8: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 4, Player Shields: 5;
Player Attack Roll: 3, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 6
Round 9: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 2, Player Shields: 3;
Player Attack Roll: 2, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 4
Round 10: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 2, Player Shields: 1;
Player Attack Roll: 4, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 4
Round 11: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 5, Player Shields: 1;
Player Attack Roll: 6, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 4
Round 12: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 1, Player Shields: -1;

Player is killed again, 1 resurrection used to restore player’s Shields.

Player Attack Roll: 1, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 2
Round 13: Mogs’ Cutter Attack Roll: 5, Player Shields: 7;
Player Attack Roll: 1, Mogs’ Cutter Shields: 0[/spoiler]

Boy, did Jang Mistral get unlucky here with his rolls. Combined with the fact that he was the Defender in this combat-weapon fight, both of his remaining resurrections were used to survive it.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

With heel’s smoking, the Mogs bounds across the deck, into the lake. Its ship, now defunct and glowing a curious shade of rose, bursts into tiny embers. Triumph! Steering back to shore, you are greeted by the jovial Sam. ‘Superb! Wonderful!’ he cries. ‘Words cannot express my relief. I did not really believe you would … er, I mean, I hadn’t expected your return quite so soon. And now, as a token of my appreciation, I give you a great treasure: a fabulous power-jewel!’ From a leather pouch he produces a milky crystal, wrapped in silk. ‘Take care! Examine it at arm’s length and squint, or its rays may damage your eyes.’ Bidding you farewell, Sam hastily disappears into the reeds. What a strange creature! And what a strange jewel, you think. It looks just like a piece of common rock-salt. Curiosity getting the better of you, you draw it closer and closer. Now you taste it. It is rock-salt! (Add this to your Adventure Sheet.) Leaving the gardens, you storm angrily away, back towards the north-east. Turn to 318.

You press on for miles, passing beneath arches of streaked marble and swirling agate, beyond houses, shrines and conservatories, silent for over three hundred years. The Dome of Marvels is still several leagues to your west when the lanterns’ hues change to maroon, cobalt and tired grey. High above, the first of many tiny lamp-lights flicker and sparkle into life – specks of brilliant white and gold, shining like stars. It is evening. At this time you see, a mile or so ahead, the glow of a small, hand-held lantern swaying gently back and forth. Its owner, a tall, lean, sinister figure, appears to be swaggering slowly towards you. Will you await his arrival (turn to 349), or, hiding in a nearby shrine, allow him to pass (turn to 267)?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
STAMINA: 11 Initial Stamina = 24
RATING: 7
NOTES AND ITEMS:
6 Provision Tablets
Flask of Strong Acid
Bottle of Acid
Piece of Rock-salt
RESURRECTIONS: 0[/spoiler]

Space Combat Sheet:
8 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Await his arrival.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Await.

(And parts of the text seems to say Mogs was the monster's name, other parts that it was a Mogs monster, odd)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sorry for the delay, as I overslept. I have registered your votes to have Jang Mistral await his arrival.

As the figure approaches, he appears to shrink considerably and grow wider in the girth. What you mistook for a tall, dark, sinister figure was only this man’s shadow, cast by his lantern’s light. Now looking up at you is a dumpy old man with thick, pursed lips, drooping eyelids and a balding pate. Like yourself, he has four arms, which are wrapped snugly into the folds of a voluminous green habit. His footsteps are cushioned by his fluffy orange moccasins. ‘Hail, stranger, and welcome!’ he exalts, raising a pudgy hand. ‘All is fine! A most enchanting evening is before us, is it not? But I see that you are weary. You have had many struggles, yet?’ He peers a little closer: ‘I have a special remedy to cure all your troubles. Yes, indeed! Perhaps you will join me for refreshment – my home is not far away.’ If you wish to avail yourself of his generosity, turn to 5; if you wish to travel on alone, turn to 395.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, follow random person distracting us from the main quest again.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

One of these side quests might give us something essential to victory since this book is so damn random. So follow.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I have not seen a trap this obvious since that elf wanted to show us his 'magic candle.'
Queen of Swords
Prince

I could deal with something random happening on every page as long as it was interesting. But the worldbuilding here is just ridiculous, right down to the fluffy orange moccasins.

Sure, go with him. We also have a special remedy to cure all his troubles, and it's called a laser sword.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you for your votes. The overwhelming consensus is to have Jang Mistral avail himself of his generosity, so that happens.

The old man leads you on. He is Marsatu, ‘An Ensulvarian by assemblage,’ he says, ‘and a trader by repute.’ Pondering the meaning of his words, you climb a rap and, skirting a terrace, arrive at the entrance to his hovering mansion. Marsatu rings a chime and, after a pause, the door is opened by an absurd, trout-headed footman, dressed in a scarlet tunic. Marsatu introduces him to you: ‘This is Bok, my servant. Bok, we will be having a distinguished visitor for supper. Fetch our best porcelain tankards, and warm the mead!’ Bok scuttles off while Marsatu leads you via a maze of oak-panelled passages to a roomy, octagonal parlour. Here, you make polite conversation until Bok returns, carrying two large bowls. One of these is filled with a green liquid, the other with a blue liquid. Marsatu gestures vaguely to you. Will you drink the green liquid (turn to 155), or the blue liquid (turn to 61)?