[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 33 – Sky Lord

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 33 – Sky Lord

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Okay, since there are no second votes among the four items selected, I will have Jang Mistral take the tibia bone and the jar with pickled brain. And I will also have Jang Mistral jump through the hole into the first room, since both votes listed that as the next place to go.

You enter a long thin gallery. Violet windows, sweeping the entire length of the hall, give you a grand view of your spaceship, still moored against the air-tube. Suddenly, you become aware of a hungry orange blob which is rolling towards you. As blobs are notoriously difficult to kill, you decide to flee to the opposite end of the hall. On the way, your shoulder brushes against an object; it is a human skeleton, one of the blob’s former victims. The twisted finger-bones still clutch a couple of items, and a plastic pouch lying on the floor contains a few more. You just have time to scoop up two of the following items:

flare pistol
     chain
     compressed-air canister
     wrist-watch
     club
     chewing gum

When you have decided which two objects you collect, add them to your Adventure Sheet, then turn to 332.

Please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 24 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 12 Initial Luck = 12
RATING: 5
CREDITS: 10 Initial = 10
OXYGEN SUPPLY POINTS: 10 Initial = 10
NOTES AND ITEMS:
10 Provision Tablets
Tibia Bone
Jar With Pickled Brain
RESURRECTIONS: 4[/spoiler]

Space Combat Sheet:
[spoiler]STARSHIP: STARSPRAY
DATA: 4 HIGH POWER LASERS L
12 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Seconding the acid bottle for sure.

My second pick would be the hypodermic syringe if we knew it was filled with some sort of knockout drug, but we don't, so I'll guess I'll go with the grease gun.

Ah, JN posted as I was about to vote (not sure if my above vote can be counted as a tiebreaker). Take the flare pistol and compressed air.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Agreed, compressed air and flare pistol seem the most useful (unless the blob likes chewing gum, and in a book this random, it's possible).
SGamerz
King

Re:

Post by SGamerz »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:40 am
(unless the blob likes chewing gum, and in a book this random, it's possible).
I'm willing to bet that is the case.

Therefore I vote compressed air and chewing gum.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted, Jang Mistral will take the flare pistol and compressed air-canister, since these two items received the largest amount of votes.

You outdistance the blob and reach a transit cylinder at the other end of the hall. However, when you enter it you are confronted by an axe-wielding humanoid who has been driven insane and now believes you to be one of the blobs! You must defend yourself against his attack.

INSANE CREWMAN SKILL 5 STAMINA 6

If you win, turn to 390.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Insane Crewman Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Insane Crewman Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Insane Crewman Attack Strength: 9, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Insane Crewman Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 24
Round 3: Insane Crewman Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Insane Crewman Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 24[/spoiler]

As expected, Jang Mistral flawlessly dispatches against the insane crewman.

You leave the transit cylinder and enter a bubble-shaped dome. About you are computer terminals, consoles, scanscopes and the like, all clicking noisily and flashing in some deranged manner. Clumsily you rest your elbow on a green button, causing a speaker to announce: ‘Alert, alert! Unauthorized intruder! Cyborg anti-intruder defences activated!’ Steam whistles from several holes in the console, badly scalding you. Deduct 3 points from your STAMINA. You hear the metallic pounding of a cyborg’s feet, approaching the dome. You decide hastily to exit through a hatch on the opposite side of the dome. Will you pass through a round hatch (turn to 9), or a square hatch (turn to 167)?

This will be my last post before I am out of town for the weekend and lack reliable access to the Internet. Please vote before 4:00 PM PDT on Sunday to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
STAMINA: 21 Initial Stamina = 24
NOTES AND ITEMS:
10 Provision Tablets
Tibia Bone
Jar With Pickled Brain
Flare Pistol
Compressed Air-canister

Space Combat Sheet:
12 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

This seems like another random choice, so round hatch for no reason?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure. Round. Why not.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Why not indeed. Round.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

This has turned into playschool. Round window, watch out for brightly coloured blobs.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Managed to get brief access to the internet, and since there are 4 votes to pass through the round hatch, Jang Mistral will do that.

You enter the space station’s sports complex: a wide concrete area containing dumb-bells, parallel bars, tennis courts, a space-ball arena and much, much more. Momentarily distracted by the equipment here, you decide to test your prowess at one of the games. Will you try your skill at snooker (turn to 77), or space-ball (turn to 113)?

Please vote before 4:00 PM PDT on Sunday to guarantee that it will be counted.
Queen of Swords
Prince

We're being pursued by a murderous blob and we just fought off an insane crewman so we decide to stop and play a game.

Snooker. As random a choice as any other we've made so far, maybe less because at least I know what snooker looks like.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sure, snooker, why not?

Well, other than the fact that it makes more sense to keep running, but there's no option to do so.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, I remember this bit...for some reason, (possibly because of stopping running away to play a game) and opposed to most everything else.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Snooker is a funnier sounding word (and as previously mentioned, an actual game) so go with that.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Spaceball, because snooker is an actual game and thus less likely to give us anything useful in this bizarre universe.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted, Jang Mistral will try his skill at snooker, since that option won over space-ball by a 3-1 vote.

Picking up a cue, you roll the white ball into the reds, splitting them and knocking a red into the top left-hand pocket. Next, you aim at an orange ball, intending to put it into the centre pocket. Orange ball? You realize that snooker does not use an orange ball. Cautiously, you touch the ball with the end of your cue, only to see it wobble about and wriggle up the stick: it is a baby orange blob! Now, from the corner pocket oozes its mother – a much large blob. Breaking away from the table, you prepare a hasty departure from the hall, as the mother blob re-forms on the floor and comes rolling towards you. During your flight, however, you do have time to pick up any two of the following items, which may prove useful later on.

snooker cue
     dumb-bell
     cricket bat
     medicine ball
     skipping rope
     darts

When you have chosen two items, add them to your Adventure Sheet. Now, will you flee on an exercise scooter (turn to 266), or slide down a transit pole (turn to 103)?

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT on Sunday to guarantee that it will be counted.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen of Swords
Prince

So if the blobs haven't appeared, would Jang Mistral have just remained there for however long it takes to finish a game of snooker solo?

But since Mommy Blob prodded him back into the chase, our hero must select two items. Cricket ball and skipping rope, I guess. And flee on an exercise scooter, just in case we slide down the pole straight into Daddy Blob's mouth.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Snooker cue and medicine ball.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'd go with snooker cue and medicine ball. It mentioned that we touched the blob with the cue, so maybe that'd make a difference during the next encounter.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted, Jang Mistral will take the snooker cue and medicine ball (as these two items got the most votes), and will flee on an exercise scooter.

With a squelch, you run the jellified creature over, then reverse the scooter through the swinging doors, into a vast chamber. Within, tall trees grow on large pontoons: whole groves of oranges, lemons, peaches and other fruits. You have entered the space station’s hydroponic gardens where all the fresh food is produced. Luckily, the bruised blob has not followed you; you dismount and examine the gardens at leisure. Will you turn your nose towards a run of strawberries (turn to 362), or try an unrecognizable, sweet-smelling fruit (turn to 197)?

Please vote before 8:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
STAMINA: 21 Initial Stamina = 24
NOTES AND ITEMS:
10 Provision Tablets
Tibia Bone
Jar With Pickled Brain
Flare Pistol
Compressed Air-canister
Snooker Cue
Medicine Ball

Space Combat Sheet:
12 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

What? Each time the blobs are not actually in our hero's line of sight, he promptly forgets about the danger and starts playing games or picking fruit?

Sigh. Strawberries, since I'm concerned the unrecognizable fruit will turn out to be a blob.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Strawberries.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Jang Mistral will turn his nose towards a run of strawberries.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You strip a whole row of its delicious contents and eat them greedily. Unfortunately, they had been sprayed with a pesticide, so you have just poisoned yourself! Deduct 3 points from your STAMINA. If you are still alive, you scout around and observe several items lying about which may prove useful later on. Choose two from the following list and add them to your Adventure Sheet.

pot plant
     strawberries
     shovel
     weed-killer
     broom
     plastic hose

When you have chosen, you decide to follow a corridor heading from the hall. Turn to 103.

You proceed via several passages and air-elevators, until you reach a drone launch-away tube. Within it is a spherical, iron-clad drone, suitable for carrying out minor repairs on the station. You enter the drone and lock its hatch; then, placing the craft on manual control, you launch yourself into space, gradually manoeuvring towards the Starspray. Suddenly, you are distracted by a moan coming from behind the drone’s console. Then a bony-faced man appears, only half conscious. ‘Heh, heh!’ he coughs at you. ‘You, I bet you’re a blob, aren’t you? You nasty great jellybean! Well, I may be the last of the crew, but you can eat me, too – if you care to die: I’ve poisoned m’self!’ He swings an old revolver in your direction. You must defend yourself.

LUDO KLUDWIG SKILL 7 STAMINA 4

If you win, turn to 85.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Ludo Kludwig Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Ludo Kludwig Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 18
Round 2: Ludo Kludwig Attack Strength: 9, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Ludo Kludwig Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 18[/spoiler]

As expected, Jang Mistral slaughters the insane Ludo Kludwig.

You grapple with the demented man, but he dies in your arms. Now, locking the drone to your own ship, you prepare to leave. First, however, you may go through the belongings of the deceased. You may choose any two items from the following list.

revolver
     peak cap
     poison
     can of beer
     axe
     box of cigars

When you have chosen two items, add them to your Adventure Sheet, then turn to 40.

Please vote on what items to take from the row of strawberries and the dead man before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Jang Mistral
STAMINA: 18 Initial Stamina = 24
NOTES AND ITEMS:
10 Provision Tablets
Tibia Bone
Jar With Pickled Brain
Flare Pistol
Compressed Air-canister
Snooker Cue
Medicine Ball

Space Combat Sheet:
12 FORCE SHIELD PODS S
YOUR VEHICLES:
None[/spoiler]
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We were picking strawberries, so definitely take the strawberries. And then feed them to the blob when we next see it.

Also take the plastic hose. Maybe we can somehow get the blob into it and pump it into space or something.

Pick up the poison. If the thing doesn't like strawberries, we can hopefully put poison in the shin bone and the pickled brain and feed them to it. Or, at the very worst, do what the crazy guy did and poison ourselves before it eats us, thereby gaining some revenge or (if the thing is too smart to eat poisoned food) preserving our body.

And last but not least, get the beer. After all that, Jang Mistral probably needs a drink badly.

EDIT: Is this the first FF gamebook that gives players the option to pick up cigars?
Queen of Swords
Prince

Strawberries, weed killer, poison and box of cigars.