[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 42: Black Vein Prophecy

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 42: Black Vein Prophecy

Post by SGamerz »

Harmonization must be the plain stupid option because we know it cancels out Mutation. Casting 2 spells that cancel each other out is literally a waste of energy.

Yeah, we haven't used Izkhao all book, he'd probably be wasted if we continue to not use him for the archenemy encounter. Open the brooch!
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to call upon Izkhao since that option hasn't been used all adventure, and it probably is the key to finishing off Feior here.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Call upon Izkhao.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Izkhao appears at once. As soon as he sees Feior, his normally jovial face becomes serious. He shoots through the air, grasps your opponent by the heel and drags him back to you, dumping him in an untidy heap at your feet. Feior has finally conquered the Mutation spell, but the effort has left him drained. He is no longer a threat to you; he looks up at you with eyes that you know are just like yours.

Finish him off?
Spare him?

[spoiler=Adventure Sheet]
Name: Maior
Skill: 10/10
Stamina: 16/19
Luck: 7/7

Greatsword
Jeweled dagger
Haversack
Provisions: 5
Brooch with Izkhao
Filthy clothes
Chang whistle
Feior's battle-plans
Jar of orange syrup
[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

He's no longer a threat to us, so spare him (and hopefully this doesn't mean "give him a chance to stab us in the back").
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to spare him, as I have a feeling that Feior might have a trick up his sleeve if Maior tries to finish him off here.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Show mercy.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You descend from the mountain with your prisoner. The battle is won. Merzei rushes to congratulate you, but you can think only of poor Credas, who gave his life in the battle to defeat Feior. Merzei begins to supervise the remaining forces, so you return to the top of the mountain to survey the battlefield, now that you have finally won.

A shriek rends the air and a huge cloud of inky blackness rises before you. Two burning globes hang in it and, staring into them, you know: your father has returned. He cannot harm the people of this land, for the Triurge banished him beyond the physical realm. But part of him lives on in you, and through you he may still have his revenge.

Use a spell?
Flee?
Stand your ground?

Stamina: 16/19

Greatsword
Jeweled dagger
Haversack
Provisions: 5
Brooch with Izkhao
Filthy clothes
Chang whistle
Feior's battle-plans
Jar of orange syrup
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote for Maior to stand his ground. I don't think any of the spells he knows will do him good here, and fleeing is just asking his father to finish him off in the most gruesome way possible.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, standing our ground seems to be the best option here.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If "part of him lives off" in us, then we're not going to be able to flee from him, or destroy him with a spell. This is going to be something like the mental/spiritual struggle for dominance of our body or whatnot. Stand our ground.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

The black cloud swirls about you. It forms a series of bizarre patterns, then combines into a crude face with gaping eyes. Slowly the features sharpen until you recognize your father. He speaks your name. 'To think,' he hisses contemptuously, 'that one of my blood should oppose my will. I did not sacrifice my city and my life to preserve a traitorous misfit.' The cloud changes, forming the shape of a writhing snake. 'When I laid you to rest in the seventh plane I hoped that I had planted the seeds of a new order that would return and crush my enemies, not side with them against me.' The snake weaves hypnotically in the air before you, its gaze upon you all the time.

You are struck violently from behind. You topple and plunge into the chasm below. The ground hurtles towards you, and you lose consciousness.
Last edited by Beroli on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You wake up with a jerk. Huddled within your silken sheets, you peer out into the bedchamber, half expecting the evil face in your nightmare to materialize again. But there is nothing--only the toy soldiers and the clothes you left scattered the night before. Feior's precious wooden sword lies near a pile of your spell books and practice slates. Normally, your brother never lets it out of his sight, and you wonder where he can be. You check the adjoining chamber and find his bed empty. It is early, but, outside your door, servants are rushing to and fro. Then you remember--Father's trip! All thoughts of the nightmare disappear as you think of the excursion the king has planned for you and Feior. The court has been dull without soldiers to play with, and your last week has been spent confined in the keep. Someone begins to unlock your door, and you dive back into bed and under the sheets.

Will you feign sleep?
Or let on that you are awake?

Stamina: 19/19
[/spoiler]
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

As a kid, we'll probably learn more if they don't think we can hear them. Feign.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to feign sleep in order to keep the element of surprise.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, pretend to be asleep.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You hear the distinctive voice of Babbalha, your old nursemaid, as she bustles into the room. 'The little horror!' she mumbles under her breath, 'just look at the state of this place.' You blink a look at her as she busies herself at her tidying.

A second voice speaks. 'Please, Babba--they are ready for the boy downstairs. Shall I get his drink?'

'No. He's sleeping good enough. We'll let the priests sort him. I'll be glad to get the wretch off my hands. Nothing but trouble, that one, since the day he came into this world.'

'Poor boy. That's no way to speak of him, specially where he's bound for.'

The servants end their gossiping and leave. You wait for the key to turn, but instead they walk off: the absent-minded Babbalha has forgotten to lock you in.

As you sit, alone, in your chamber, you catch the distant sound of drums.

Prise open the heavy shutters?
Venture out into the hallway?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to venture out into the hallway so that young Maior can escape while the opportunity exists.
Queen of Swords
Prince

There's a risk of bumping into someone if we go into the hallway, so I'd rather prise open the shutters and get out that way.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Look outside.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Open the shutter, I'm expecting some weird sight outside.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We don't know how high the building is, and we're apparently back in our childhood, so I don't think the little kid would be able to leave by the window. Leave by the door before the nurse remembers to come back and lock us in.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Opening the shutters wins 3-2.

You prise the bar free and kick the shutters open. Dawn is breaking and beyond the harbour walls you see the lights from a multitude of boats; they are all magnificently decorated with colourful flags. High above them, burning like fireflies in the mist, are three glowing spheres. Splashes of coloured light spark from them as they move towards the city, skimming across the water. Delighted, you stand transfixed. The first bolt of colour approaches the city wall, and it is then you notice that a great many of your father's soldiers have collected along the ramparts. They too stand silent, fascinated by the display. The bolt smashes into the wall, obliterating it completely and sending a shock-wave that blows you backwards into the bedroom. Terrified, you close the shutters and climb back into bed, hoping the screams and shouts will go away.

Try to block out the din with your pillow and go to sleep?
Go looking for aid or comfort?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Go looking for summat.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Get out of there. We're not likely to find "aid or comfort", but going back to sleep will be a game over.