[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 21 - Trial of Champions

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 21 - Trial of Champions

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Important note: Since the spoiler tags are not working correctly as of tonight, some of my posts in this thread will be a little difficult to read. So I hope that everyone can bear with the clutter while the issues are getting resolved.

Cover

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Welcome, everybody. Just a few days ago, I managed to get a copy of book #21 out of nostalgia, which was another one of the first Fighting Fantasy gamebooks that I read. And oh boy was that a tough son of a bitch to finish. It took me at least 30 tries before I was able to win this one on my own. Since nobody has done this book yet, it will thus be the subject of this Let’s Play. Anyone wishing to join in is welcome. The plan is to update this series on a twice per day basis, with the exception of Sundays, where I will try to update more frequently on these days. However, my work duties heat up will probably cause adjustments to this proposed schedule, which I hope that everyone understands.

Preface
When your small boat was rammed and crushed by an ominous-looking galley, you had no choice but to climb aboard. Faced with a crew of hardened cut-throats and their evil, scarred captain, it would have been useless to struggle.

Since that cursed day, you have been chained to a bench – just another galley-slave – rowing to the point of collapse, towards an unknown destination. Then, at last, you reach land, and are dragged from the ship out into the glaring sunlight. You have landed on Blood Island, and are now the unwilling slave of Lord Carnuss, evil brother of Baron Sukumvit, creator of Deathtrap Dungeon! The warped and twisted mind of Baron Sukumvit has completely redesigned the deadly labyrinth of Fang. New traps and terrors, mazes and monsters, await you at every turn. But even before you can enter the dungeon, you must endure your evil new master’s bloodthirsty gladiatorial games. Can you survive this Trial of Champions and free yourself from slavery?

Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all YOU need to embark on this thrilling adventure, which is complete with its elaborate combat system and a score sheet to record your gains and losses.

Many dangers lie ahead and your success is by no means certain. It’s up to YOU to decide which route to follow, which dangers to risk and which adversaries to fight!

Ian Livingstone was born in Cheshire in 1949. He is the co-founder (with Steve Jackson) of the hugely successful Games Workshop chain, which specializes in fantasy games and war games of all kinds.
Introduction
Before embarking on your adventure, you must first determine your own strengths and weaknesses. Use dice to determine your initial scores. On pages 16-17 there is an Adventure Sheet which you may use to record the details of an adventure. On it you will find boxes for recording your SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores.

You are advised either to record your scores on the Adventure Sheet in pencil, or make photocopies of the sheet to use in future adventures.
For the purposes of this thread, the Adventure Sheet will be hand-made and will be periodically displayed.

Skill, Stamina and Luck
Roll one die. Add 6 to this number and enter this total in the SKILL box on the Adventure Sheet.

Roll both dice. Add 12 to the number rolled and enter this total in the STAMINA box.

There is also a LUCK box. Roll one die, add 6 to this number and enter this total in the LUCK box.

For reasons that will be explained below, SKILL, STAMINA, and LUCK scores change constantly during an adventure. You must keep an accurate record of these scores and for this reason you are advised either to write small in the boxes or to keep an eraser handy. But never rub out your Initial scores. Although you may be awarded additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points, these totals may never exceed your Initial scores, except on very rare occasions, when you will be instructed on a particular page.

Your SKILL score reflects your swordsmanship and general fighting expertise; the higher the better. Your STAMINA score reflects your general constitution, your will to survive, your determination and overall fitness; the higher your STAMINA score, the longer you will be able to survive. Your LUCK score indicates how naturally lucky a person you are. Luck – and magic – are facts of life in the fantasy kingdom you are about to explore.
Normally, I would make the appropriate rolls and modifications to generate our hero’s Skill, Stamina, and Luck. However, characters without maximum Skill will get slaughtered by the plethora of high-skilled opponents in this adventure, so I will do everyone a favor and set our hero’s Skill to 12. I will still make rolls to determine initial Stamina and Luck scores, however.

After making the appropriate rolls and modifications, our hero has the following initial scores:
SKILL: 12
STAMINA: 21
LUCK: 11
Fate gave us excellent Stamina and Luck scores to go with the maximum Skill that our hero has. Which is badly needed in order to have a fighting chance to survive this adventure.

Battles
You will often come across pages in the book which instruct you to fight a creature of some sort. An option to flee may be given, but if not – or if you choose to attack the creature anyway – you must resolve the battle as described below.

First record the creature’s SKILL and STAMINA scores in the first vacant Monster Encounter Box on your Adventure Sheet. The scores for each creature are given in the book each time you have an encounter.

The sequence of combat is then:

1. Roll both dice once for the creature. Add its SKILL score. This total is the creature’s Attack Strength.
2. Roll both dice once for yourself. Add the number rolled to your current SKILL score. This total is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is higher than that of the creature, you have wounded it. Proceed to step 4. If the creature’s Attack Strength is higher than yours, it has wounded you. Proceed to step 5. If both Attack Strength totals are the same, you have avoided each other’s blows – start the next Attack Round from step 1 above.
4. You have wounded the creature, so subtract 2 points from its STAMINA score. You may use your LUCK here to do additional damage (see over).
5. The creature has wounded you, so subtract 2 points from your own STAMINA score. Again you may use LUCK at this stage (see over).
6. Make the appropriate adjustments to either the creature’s or your own STAMINA scores (and your LUCK score if you used LUCK – see over).
7. Begin the next Attack Round by returning to your current SKILL score and repeating steps 1-6. This sequence continues until the STAMINA score of either you or the creature you are fighting has been reduced to zero (death).
Fighting More Than One Creature
If you come across more than one creature in a particular encounter, the instructions on that page will tell you how to handle the battle. Sometimes you will treat them as a single monster; sometimes you will fight each one in turn.
Luck
At various times during your adventure, either in battles or when you come across situations in which you could either be lucky or unlucky (details of these are given on the pages themselves), you may call on your luck to make the outcome more favourable. But beware! Using luck is a risky business and if you are unlucky, the results could be disastrous.

The procedure for using your luck is as follows: roll two dice. If the number rolled is equal to or less than your current LUCK SCORE, you have been lucky and the result will go in your favour. If the number rolled is higher than your current LUCK score, you have been unlucky and you will be penalized.

This procedure is known as Testing your Luck. Each time you Test your Luck, you must subtract 1 point from your current LUCK score. Thus you will soon realize that the more you rely on your luck, the more risky this will become.

Using Luck in Battles
On certain pages of the book you will be told to Test your Luck and will be told the consequences of your being lucky or unlucky. However, in battles, you always have the option of using your luck either to inflict a more serious wound on a creature you have just wounded, or to minimize the effects of a wound the creature has just inflicted on you.

If you have just wounded the creature, you may Test your Luck as described above. If you are lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound and may subtract an extra 2 points from the creature’s STAMINA score. However, if you are unlucky, the wound was a mere graze and you must restore 1 point to the creature’s STAMINA (i.e. instead of scoring the normal 2 points of damage, you have now scored only 1).

If the creature has just wounded you, you may Test your Luck to try to minimize the wound. If you are lucky, you have managed to avoid the full damage of the blow. Restore 1 point of STAMINA (i.e. instead of doing 2 points of damage it has done only 1). If you are unlucky, you have taken a more serious blow. Subtract 1 extra STAMINA point.

Remember that you must subtract 1 point from your own LUCK score each time you Test your Luck.
For the purposes of this Let’s Play, the attack rounds will be resolved all at once. I will generally only consider using Luck in battles if the character has less than 7 Stamina points. For such battles, I will ask whether Luck should be used to improve the odds of winning the fight. In battles where escape is an option and the character has less than 7 Stamina points, I will also ask whether the character should escape from the battle, and if so, under which conditions to do so.

Restoring Skill, Stamina, and Luck
Skill
Your SKILL score will not change much during your adventure. Occasionally, a page may give instructions to increase or decrease your SKILL score. A Magic Weapon may increase your SKILL, but remember that only one weapon can be used at a time! You cannot claim 2 SKILL bonuses for carrying two Magic Swords. Your SKILL score can never exceed its Initial value unless specifically instructed.

Stamina
Your STAMINA score will change a lot during your adventure as you fight monsters and undertake arduous tasks. As you near your goal, your STAMINA level may be dangerously low and battles may be particularly risky, so be careful!

Unlike other Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks, you do not start your adventure with Provisions. However, during the course of the adventure, there will be opportunities for you to regain STAMINA points in various ways.

Remember also that your STAMINA score may never exceed its Initial value unless specifically instructed on a page.

Luck
Additions to your LUCK score are awarded through the adventure when you have been particularly lucky. Details are given on the pages of this book. Remember that, as with SKILL and STAMINA, your LUCK score may never exceed its Initial value unless specially instructed on a page.
Please keep all spoilers covered out of respect to those of us who want to have a blind experience. Any ties will be broken by me based on my personal instincts.

Now this adventure is one of the hardest out of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks to complete. So I will permit our hero to have up to 6 boons from the following list to make things fair:

Rewinds: If our hero dies from any cause other than Stamina loss, the story will be reverted to the previous choice, with the Adventure Sheet being modified to what it was at that point in the story. You may use as many rewinds as you wish upon said death, with a rewind being used for each choice that you wish to go back to. For example, if our hero starts with 4 rewinds, we can rewind to a maximum of 4 choices before said death. This mechanic is to ensure that we remain careful in our decisions, as rewinds are not able to take our hero too far back from death.

Restorations: If our hero’s Stamina falls to 0 in any way, it will be restored to its initial score after reducing initial Stamina by 2. This penalty is to ensure that we act sensibly when it comes to maintaining Stamina should our hero take a restoration or two.

Extra Gold Rings: Upon entering Baron Sukumvit’s labyrinth, our hero will be on the lookout for Gold Rings. Without spoiling too much, a certain number of Gold Rings is needed to survive a certain point in this adventure, which Extra Gold Rings may be used to fulfill. Any Extra Gold Rings that our hero has which are not used to fulfill this quota will be converted to other secret benefits upon reaching the point where the Gold Rings are needed.

Background
It is another fiercely hot day, and the temperature in the sticky gloom below decks is unbearable. The air is thick with the acrid smell of sweating bodies. Nobody is allowed to speak, and the only noise to be heard above the monotonous creaking of the ship is the regular sharp crack of a whip and the agonized cry which follows it. ‘Row harder you dogs!’ shouts the one-eyed overseer, as he cracks the whip once again. ‘Enjoy this pleasant voyage while you can, because you’ll wish you were back on board after a day or two where you are going!’ Chained to a bench and straining hard at the long oar which you pull with two other galley-slaves, your mind drifts back to that unfortunate day one week ago when you were captured.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You had left Port Blacksand in a small boat to sail south down the coast to Oyster Bay. As ill luck would have it, a galley appeared on the horizon heading in your direction. It drew steadily closer and it was not long before your boat was crushed under its bows and you were forced to dive into the sea. There was nothing you could do except climb up a rope that was thrown down to you, as your boat had become no more than a few pieces of broken wood floating aimlessly on the sea. It was useless to struggle as a crew of twenty hardened cut-throats surrounded you.

A gruff voice from behind them ordered them to part, and an ugly, scarred man appeared, grinning and spitting juice from chewing tobacco on to the deck. His teeth were chipped and blackened, and a foul stench wafted in the breeze from his unwashed clothes. ‘Captain Bartella always delivers the goods. You’ll make up for the one who died from the flogging yesterday. Saves me having to kidnap a landlubber. Must be my lucky day, but I wouldn’t say it was yours.’ The captain let out a laugh which was like a long, wheezing exhalation, and then barked out an order to his mate: ‘Take the rat below to meet the rest of the vermin.’

Since that cursed day, you have been chained to your oar, rowing to the point of collapse towards an unknown destination. Suddenly you hear a shout of, ‘Land ahoy!’, and begin to wonder what evil awaits you. An hour later, you feel the ship bump against a jetty and there is much shouting until the ship is finally moored. You are dragged from the ship with the other slaves, and see in the glaring sunlight that you are on a small island. A sombre-looking castle sits on top of the island, and next to it there is a semi-ruined amphitheatre. A man wearing black chainmail armour hands Captain Bartella a bag of coins. Satisfied with his payment, the wheezing captain orders his men back to the ship and you watch them set sail. The man in black armour steps forward, saying, ‘You are now the property of Lord Carnuss. It is your honour to die for his pleasure in the Arena of Death here on Blood Island. Only one of you will survive, and he or she will represent Lord Carnuss in Fang for the next Trial of Champions. Baron Sukumvit has modified his deadly labyrinth and is now offering 20,000 Gold Pieces to anybody who gets through it. Of course, Lord Carnuss will keep the prize if you get through, but you will be spared your life. Baron Sukumvit’s reputation suffered greatly last year when somebody succeeded in getting through the labyrinth, but he now boasts that nobody can survive his new dungeon. Lord Carnuss would like one of you to make Sukumvit eat his words. You must understand that he hates his brother’s fame. Now follow me.’

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You are led up the hill to a castle, where you are locked in a cell in the depths of the lower chambers. Sharing the dark cell with you are four others: a stout dwarf, a man-orc, a sinewy easterner and a bald, muscle-bound man. The mood is grim and few words are spoken as each of you ponders the impending combat. Forty-two slaves arrived by ship and only one will survive. The dubious reward is entry to a deadly dungeon.
NOW TURN OVER

At dawn the following day, you are woken by the sound of heavy footsteps approaching down the corridor. A key turns in the lock of the cell door and two guards wearing black chainmail enter, carrying trays of food. ‘Eat well,’ says one of them, ‘as you will need all your strength to survive the day. By the end of it, you may all be dead.’ The guard then turns to you and offers you some bread and a bowl of soup. If you wish to take the food, turn to 49. If you would rather try to overcome the guard and make an escape, turn to 292.

In addition to the above choice, what name do you want to give our hero, and how many boons of each type should we take? Please make your decisions before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 21 - Trial of Champions

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, I vaguely remember this book...never finished it fairly, but it has some good bits.

Eat the food (we aren't going to escape and skip the whole book).

Might suggest Ben Richards (the hero from Running Man) as a name.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Baron Sukumvit’s reputation suffered greatly last year when somebody succeeded in getting through the labyrinth, but he now boasts that nobody can survive his new dungeon.
Well, that somebody wasn’t Errol Flynn. I’m guessing it was the Ninja.

Eat the food.

I’m not sure how useful rewinds will be because with the exception of Island of the Lizard King, Livingstone (like UK Steve Jackson) usually has game overs happen because of wrong choices made really early in the book. But I suppose since it’s a Nightmare Mode sequel to Deathtrap Dungeon that it’s likely there are instadeaths throughout anyways. So take 2 of each boon, since we’re going to need healing and extra plot coupons because Ian Livingstone.

As for names, I vote for Dirk D. Dungeoncrawler in the honor of past high stats Ian Livingstone protagonists.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have registered your votes, and our hero will take the food. I will leave voting for names and boons open until the next update, as there is only one vote for boons, and one vote for Ben Richards and Dirk D. Dungeoncrawler for names.

The soup is thick with chicken and vegetables and tastes delicious. You devour it greedily and mop up the last drops with the bread. You have not eaten well for a fortnight and now feel fit and ready for the coming ordeal. When you have all finished eating, you are led away to begin your first day in the Arena of Death. Turn to 22.

You are in the middle of the procession of forty-two slaves, which wends its way along various corridors, until you reach the amphitheatre. The sun is already beating down, making the sand in the arena uncomfortably hot to your bare feet. Seated high in the stands is a dark, hooded figure surrounded by guards. You watch him rise to his feet and lift his arms into the air, commanding silence. ‘You know why you are here,’ Lord Carnuss begins. ‘It is my wish to be represented in the Trial of Champions. Some of you will die today, some tomorrow and more the following day, until only one of you is left. Those about to die, I salute you.’ Lord Carnuss sits down again and nods his head to signal the start of the proceedings. The slaves are split into seven groups of six, and you find yourself in a group accompanied by an elf, two northmen, a dwarf and an ogre. Your group is chosen first and you are told that the first event is a race to test strength and stamina. A crude sack, containing several heavy rocks, is strapped to your backs. You watch as burning coals are brought into the arena and poured over a section of the makeshift racetrack. The six of you are then lined up at the start, each carrying your burden, and are told to race round the track until one of you is lapped or collapses. Then you are off, and you all jostle for position on the way to jumping the first pile of burning coals. If you wish to set the pace, turn to 310. If you would rather stay at the back, turn to 107.

Please make your decisions on what to do and which name and boons to take before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]???
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 21 Initial Stamina = 21
LUCK: 11 Initial Luck = 11
NOTES AND ITEMS:
BOONS:
???[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think we want to let the others just wear themselves out running with their loads of rocks on hot coals. So stay at the back.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, stay back for now.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Okay, so I registered your votes to have our hero stay at the back. Since nobody else cast any votes for boons, 2 Rewinds, 2 Restorations, and 2 Extra Gold Rings will be provided to comply with Darth Rabbit’s vote. I will leave name voting open until 9:00 AM PDT tomorrow to try to break the existing tie.

One of the northmen takes the lead, setting a fast pace. Round and round the arena you run, gritting your teeth harder each time you jump over the burning coals. After twenty minutes, nobody has been left behind and the northman increases his stride. Throw two dice, adding 3 to the total if you were flogged by the guards. If the total is the same as or less than your SKILL score, turn to 360. If the total is higher than your SKILL score, turn to 250.

Fortunately, our hero was not flogged by the guards. Rolling the dice yielded a 9, which is less than our hero’s Skill.

The northman increases his lead over the rest of you, but you feel you still have a lot in reserve should he come close to lapping the pack. When he gets within ten metres of catching up, everybody decides to sprint. There are only two runners ahead of you, but you do not look back. Suddenly there is an agonized cry followed by a shout which calls an end to the race. The dwarf lies prostrate in the sand, having collapsed just as the northman caught up with him. While you are led back to your cells, the dwarf is quickly put to death before the start of the next race. Turn to 136.

When all the races are finished and the survivors are back in their cells, you discover that the bald man does not return; now there are only three others left in your cell. Although exhausted, you find it difficult to fall asleep: your mind is occupied with what challenge the next day will bring. In the morning you are fed, and then one by one the slaves are led away to the arena. Eventually your turn comes and when you reach the door to the arena, you are told to choose weapons – broadsword and shield, or trident and net. Make your choice and turn to 275.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please make your decisions on what to do next and what name to give our hero before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice gets a 3-vote majority to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]???
LUCK: 11 Initial Luck = 11
NOTES AND ITEMS:
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations
2 Extra Gold Rings[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I'll go with trident and net.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, I remember this bit, (totally forgot everything before this), so no comment.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So this is an old school gladiatorial pair: secutor vs. retiarius. You get plenty of opportunities to use swords and shields in these books, so let's use the net and trident.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, taking the trident and net. Since nobody else provided any name votes, I will choose Ben Richards as our hero’s name to break the tie.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
A guard opens the door to the arena and you step out on to the hot sand, which is now stained red with the blood of fallen combatants. Suddenly another door in the arena wall opens and out steps the dreaded Bonecrusher beast, its tough, leathery skin glistening in the sun. Its ugly head is small and houses two narrow, near-blind eyes, a flat nose and tendrils hanging over its taut mouth. Its torso, however, is massive, and its long arms are dauntingly powerful. If you are to fight it with a broadsword and shield, turn to 56. If you are to fight it with a trident and net, turn to 175.

Our hero is to fight it with a trident and net.

You allow yourself a faint smile, as you have chosen a good weapon with which to fight your adversary. Edged weapons cause little damage to the iron-like hide of a Bonecrusher. There is only one way to slay a Bonecrusher and that is to make it fall to the ground, whereupon its delicate balance will be totally destroyed, and it will be impossible for the Bonecrusher to get to its feet again. You move forward cautiously to snare it with your weighted net. Roll one die. If the number rolled is 1-3, turn to 31. If the number rolled is 4-6, turn to 189.

Rolling the die yielded a 3.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The Bonecrusher sniffs the air and, sensing where you are standing, moves nimbly to its left just as you release the net, which catches nothing but sand. Lose 1 LUCK point. Roll two dice. If the total is the same as or less than your SKILL score, turn to 66. If the total is greater than your SKILL score, turn to 334.

Rolling the dice yielded a 6, which is obviously less than our hero’s Skill score.

Your dexterity allows you to gather up the net while avoiding the sweeping arms of the Bonecrusher. Once again you take aim and hurl the net. Roll on die. If the number rolled is 1-3, turn to 255. If the number rolled is 4-6, turn to 189.

Rolling the die yielded a 3.

You curse as your net once again floats harmlessly to the ground. Lose 1 LUCK point. Roll two dice. If the total is the same as or less than your SKILL score, turn to 66. If the total is greater than your SKILL score, turn to 334.

Rolling the dice yielded a 10, which is obviously less than our hero’s Skill score.

Boy, are the bad die rolls striking hard again. Rolling the die in our second visit to 66 yielded a 6, which finally allows us to go to 189.

Your throw is on target, and lands on top of the near-sighted Bonecrusher. As it thrashes around, it becomes more and more entangled and lets out an enraged howl. Before it can break free, you tug hard and pull the beast to the ground. The Bonecrusher lies helpless and defeated. Panting with relief, you are taken back to your cell. Turn to 113.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
By the end of the day, only one other person returns to your cell. It is the mean-looking easterner, a man who looks as though he would murder you for two copper pieces. As the light quickly fades, a guard shouts out an unexpected command. ‘There are now two of you left in each cell. I only want one to come out in the morning for tomorrow’s combat. Sleep well.’ The guard bursts out laughing at his joke, and even before he has finished, the easterner dives at you, brandishing a long, sharp pin which was concealed in his headband. Unarmed, you must fight to the death.

EASTERNER SKILL 10 STAMINA 8

If you win, turn to 237.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Easterner Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Easterner Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 19
Round 2: Easterner Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 22;
Easterner Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 19
Round 3: Easterner Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 24;
Easterner Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 19
Round 4: Easterner Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Easterner Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 19
Round 5: Easterner Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Easterner Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 19[/spoiler]

Unlike our last fight between a Skill 12 hero and a Skill 10 opponent, the dice was much fairer, and the Easterner only deals 2 damage to Ben Richards before getting his neck broken like a twig.

You slump back against the cell wall after the fierce fight with the easterner, and fall asleep from exhaustion. When all the survivors are assembled in the arena in the morning, there are only twelve of you left. The first test of the day involves a deadly machine; you will need lightning reactions and steel nerves to survive it. It is made of a pole fixed to a heavy base. Two sharp blades stock out from either side of the pole, one at head height and one at ankle height. One of the slaves is made to stand by the pole, which is promptly spun around by one of the guards. The slave alternately has to duck under one blade and jump over the other to avoid being badly cut. Your turn comes last and there are nine survivors so far, the two others having had their throats cut. You stand by the pole, adrenalin pumping through your veins. The guard spins the pole and you start to jump and duck. Roll two dice. If the total is the same as or less than your SKILL score, turn to 94. If the total is greater than your SKILL score, turn to 324.

Rolling the dice yielded a 10, which is obviously less then Ben Richards’ Skill, so he manages to survive, Spartacus style.

You get into a steady rhythm of ducking and jumping and slowly the pole spins to a halt. You have survived another ordeal. The next test begins immediately: you and the rest are split into two groups of five. You watch the first group of a dwarf, a man-orc, a woman warrior, a barbarian and a dark-skinned southerner stand silently as a spiked ball and chain is lashed to each of their sword-arms, and a small shield is lashed to their other hand. They are then blindfolded and ordered to commence battle against one another until there is only one left standing. It is a sickening spectacle to watch, as the fighters tread warily around the arena, swinging their balls and chains. The dwarf falls first, quickly followed by the warrior woman. In the end, the southerner stands triumphant and his blindfold is removed. He is led away and then each member of your group is armed in the same way. You can feel your heart pounding in your chest as the order is given to commence combat against the four unseen adversaries. Barefoot in the sand, nobody makes a sound. If you wish to step to your left, turn to 297. If you wish to step to your right, turn to 9.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
STAMINA: 19 Initial Stamina = 21
LUCK: 9 Initial Luck = 11
NOTES AND ITEMS:
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, I will have Ben Richards step to his right.

You step slowly to your right, and almost immediately hear an agonized cry followed by the dull thud of a body falling to the ground to your left. You walk on without making a sound. A chill runs down your spine when your outstretched shield arm comes into contact with something, but it is only the arena wall. You turn around and walk towards the centre of the arena. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 166. If you are Unlucky, turn to 73.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Luck roll yielded a 6, meaning that Ben Richards was Lucky. :D

Unknown to you, there is a body lying in the sand directly in your path, and you are fortunate not to trip over as you pass by. You decide to stand still for a moment and listen. You hear the whooshing sound of a ball and chain being whirled through the air directly in front of you. Will you:

Stand your ground and swing your own ball and chain? Turn to 183
Step back? Turn to 349
Lie down in the sand and trip up the person who is advancing? Turn to 316

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice gets a 3-vote majority to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
LUCK: 8 Initial Luck = 11
NOTES AND ITEMS:
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations
Queen of Swords
Prince

Let's try standing our ground.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Why even roll dice for SKILL tests at all when the PC obviously cannot fail normal SKILL tests? Would the PC have succeeded earlier if you'd taken 1 of those rolls for the attempts to net the Bonecrusher instead? :tongue:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

SGamerz wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:45 am
Why even roll dice for SKILL tests at all when the PC obviously cannot fail normal SKILL tests? Would the PC have succeeded earlier if you'd taken 1 of those rolls for the attempts to net the Bonecrusher instead? :tongue:
It's a force of habit to make sure that I do not skip anything when typing out updates, which can be long. If I do not remain consistent, I often end up making mistakes. Sorry if that bothers you.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Doesn't bother me, especially since I haven't even been playing. Just plain curiosity, especially on the question of whether the players could have succeeded earlier if you'd used those dice rolls for the net test instead. Considering the harsh difficulty level of this book, I'd look for any sort of excuse to reduce the penalties imposed on players including that 2 LUCK points that were lost. :tongue:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

SGamerz wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:54 am
Doesn't bother me, especially since I haven't even been playing. Just plain curiosity, especially on the question of whether the players could have succeeded earlier if you'd used those dice rolls for the net test instead. Considering the harsh difficulty level of this book, I'd look for any sort of excuse to reduce the penalties imposed on players including that 2 LUCK points that were lost. :tongue:
The boons are meant to partially offset the book's difficulty. I am also considering further adjustments to certain scenarios that our hero could encounter.

I have registered the sole vote to have Ben Richards stand his ground and swing his own ball and chain. There is a lot of content to the next decision, which is why there was a delay for the next update.

Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 218. If you are Unlucky, turn to 387.

The Luck roll yielded a 4, meaning that Ben Richards was Lucky. :D

Your spiked ball finds its mark and crashes into the temple of your unfortunate opponent. He drops to the ground and does not stir again. Listening intently, you step warily to the left. Turn to 120.

You walk very slowly, as you know there are bodies lying in the sand. You stop to listen, but hear nothing. You decide to turn around and walk in the opposite direction. Suddenly you hear a gruff voice cry out, ‘If there is anybody else, I’m over here.’ You decide to accept the bold challenge and walk in the direction of the voice, swinging your ball and chain. You clash head on with your unseen opponent in a blind fight to the death.

FIGHTING SLAVE SKILL 8 STAMINA 8

If you win, turn to 61.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Fighting Slave Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Fighting Slave Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 19
Round 2: Fighting Slave Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Fighting Slave Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 17
Round 3: Fighting Slave Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 22;
Fighting Slave Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 17
Round 4: Fighting Slave Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 22;
Fighting Slave Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 17
Round 5: Fighting Slave Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Fighting Slave Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 17[/spoiler]

Ben Richards kills the Fighting Slave, although he loses 2 Stamina in the process due to a lucky blow from the Fighting Slave.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

A cheer goes up as your opponent drops to the ground. You hear guards enter the arena and soon your blindfold is removed and your weapons are untied from your wrists. You are led away to your cell, realizing that only the southerner stands between you and victory. That night you are well fed and your wounds are bandaged. Add 4 STAMINA points. In the morning, the familiar ritual of being led into the arena is repeated, but this time you are made to stand face to face with the southerner. You are each handed a dagger and a studded glove. At the command of Lord Carnuss, the final arena battle commences.

SOUTHERNER SKILL 10 STAMINA 10

If you win, turn to 261.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Southerner Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Southerner Stamina: 10, Player Stamina: 19
Round 2: Southerner Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Southerner Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 19
Round 3: Southerner Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Southerner Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 19
Round 4: Southerner Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Southerner Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 19
Round 5: Southerner Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Southerner Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 19
Round 6: Southerner Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Southerner Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 17
Round 7: Southerner Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Southerner Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 17[/spoiler]

Fortunately, fate played fair for this Skill 10 battle as well. Ben Richards kills the Southerner and only take 4 Stamina damage in the process. He is now the sole survivor of the 42 slaves and has successfully finished the first part of this adventure!

As the southerner drops to his knees clutching his stomach, he manages to utter a few words with his dying breath. ‘Good luck in the dungeon, stranger. But if you get a chance to be alone with Carnuss, remember those of us who died in his arena.’ The southerner grimaces with pain and falls silent. You vow to yourself that you will avenge your fellow slaves’ deaths, and kill Lord Carnuss if you survive the deadly labyrinth of Fang. That night you are the honoured guest of Lord Carnuss and indulge yourself in your every whim. You gorge yourself on delicious food and enjoy yourself long into the night. After a week of luxurious living, you return to full fitness. Restore your STAMINA score to its Initial total. Then, locked in chains, you set sail with Lord Carnuss and thirty of his guards, and ten days later arrive in Fang, the venue for the annual Trial of Champions. The town is swarming with people intrigued by the trial and eager to celebrate. However, there is no time for you to enjoy the hospitality of Baron Sukumvit, as it is late in the evening of 30 April and the trial begins at dawn the next day. You spend the night in a tavern under the watchful eyes of the guards, and at dawn are led to the entrance of the deadly labyrinth. It is supported by ornately carved stone pillars depicting demons, deities and writhing serpents. You see Baron Sukumvit shaking the hands of the other contestants – a chaos champion wearing dark spiked armour, an eastern warlord in full battle costume, an elven prince and a dwarf noble. This year the prize has attracted illustrious contenders. You take your place alongside them, and are then asked to draw a bamboo stick from the hand of the Baron. The number 2 is etched on the stick: you are to enter the dungeon second, after the dwarf. To the cheers of the exultant onlookers, you pass between the pillars, armed only with a magnificent sword given to you by Lord Carnuss. Without a backpack, food or armour, you feel ill-prepared for the coming ordeal, but at least you have this fine sword, and a leather pouch at your belt. The sound of the crowd quickly dies away as you walk on down the dimly lit tunnel. What horrors lie before you, it is impossible to imagine, but you know that Baron Sukumvit has spent the last year modifying his deathtrap dungeon so that it is now reputedly lethal beyond comprehension. But your desire to avenge the deaths of your fellow slaves makes you determined to succeed. The tunnel leads straight ahead for fifty metres, and then you come to a doorway in the left-hand wall with a ‘Keep Out’ sign written on it in dried blood. You hear scratching and sniffing sounds coming from the other side of the door. If you wish to draw your sword and open the door, turn to 374. If you would rather keep walking down the tunnel, turn to 82.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please make your votes before 1:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
LUCK: 7 Initial Luck = 11
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Sword
Leather Pouch
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, Ben Richards will draw his sword and open the door.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The door opens easily and you step into a small room. Before you have time to look around, a huge black Hellhound leaps at you with flame shooting out from its cavernous mouth. You must fight this savage beast to the death.

HELLHOUND SKILL 7 STAMINA 6

After each attack Round roll one die. On a roll of 1 or 2, deduct 1 additional STAMINA point from your score as a result of being burnt by the Hellhound’s flame. If you win, turn to 52.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Hellhound Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Flame Roll: 2, Player takes 1 damage from the Hellhound’s flame
Hellhound Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 20
Round 2: Hellhound Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Flame Roll: 1, Player takes 1 damage from the Hellhound’s flame
Hellhound Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 19
Round 3: Hellhound Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Flame Roll: 4
Hellhound Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 19[/spoiler]

Ben Richards perfectly lands blows against the Hellhound, but loses 2 Stamina from the Hellhound’s flame attacks.

The room is empty apart from a pile of straw and old bones in the far corner. If you wish to rummage through the straw, turn to 36. If you would rather leave the room and walk along the tunnel, turn to 82.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please make your votes before 3:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Sword
Leather Pouch
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations
Queen of Swords
Prince

Leave no straw unturned.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We didn't open the door just to leave after killing its occupant.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Ben Richards will rummage through the straw.

You find a gold ring lying on the stone floor under the straw. You place it in the leather pouch on your belt and then leave the room to continue along the tunnel. Turn to 82.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The tunnel soon comes to an end at a T-junction. If you wish to head left, turn to 229. If you wish to head right, turn to 304.

Please make your votes before 5:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Sword
Leather Pouch
1 Gold Ring
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Since nobody voted, Ben Richards will head right.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

In the distance you hear the sound of running water and soon the tunnel ends at the edge of a pit. A rope bridge straddles the pit and beyond it the tunnel continues straight on. There is a wooden box tied to the bridge and a sign above it which reads, ‘Pay gold to cross.’ A rope hangs down from the bridge. Peering down into the gloom of the pit, you can just make out a fast-flowing river far below. Will you:

Drop a gold object into the box and walk across the bridge? Turn to 27
Walk across the bridge without paying? Turn to 152
Climb down the rope into the pit? Turn to 355

Please make your votes before 8:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Sword
Leather Pouch
1 Gold Ring
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations
Queen of Swords
Prince

We hold on to that ring like Gollum would, and climb down the rope into the pit.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Climb down the rope.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Ben Richards will climb down the rope into the pit.

Your feet find a ledge protruding out over the river. You release the rope, walk along the ledge and find that it leads to a completely black cave mouth. Suddenly two bony arms shoot out of the darkness and try to push you off the ledge into the river. Roll two dice. If the total is the same as or less than your SKILL score, turn to 100. If the total is higher than your SKILL score, turn to 338.

Rolling the dice yielded an 11, which is obviously less than Ben Richards’ Skill. Big surprise.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Only your lightning-quick reflexes save you from being knocked into the river. You teeter on the ledge, but regain your balance. You draw your sword to attack your enemy. From out of the dark cave steps a creature which has the appearance of a stooped, starving man with long arms touching the ground and gaunt, brown leathery skin. You recognize it as a Strider, a cunning hired killer. The Strider is armed with an iron pole which has blades at either end. It is a fearsome weapon in the hands of the dextrous Strider.

STRIDER SKILL 9 STAMINA 9

If you win, turn to 19.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Strider Attack Strength: 21, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Strider Stamina: 9, Player Stamina: 17
Round 2: Strider Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Strider Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 17
Round 3: Strider Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 23;
Strider Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 17
Round 4: Strider Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Strider Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 17
Round 5: Strider Attack Strength: 19, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Strider Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 15
Round 6: Strider Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Strider Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 15
Round 7: Strider Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Strider Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 15[/spoiler]

Ben Richards destroys the Strider, but loses 4 Stamina in the process due to the Strider getting 2 very lucky blows.

The Strider has no possessions, apart from a bone medallion hanging around its neck. If you wish to put the medallion around your own neck, turn to 70. If you would rather climb back up the rope, turn to 328.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice gets a 3-vote majority to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
STAMINA: 15 Initial Stamina = 21
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Sword
Leather Pouch
1 Gold Ring
BOONS:
2 Rewinds
2 Restorations