[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 21 - Trial of Champions

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 21 - Trial of Champions

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Ben Richards will run quickly through the archway.

Keeping your head down, you run through the archway as fast as you can. If you are wearing a purple cloak, turn to 16. If you are not wearing a cloak, turn to 101.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ben Richards is wearing a purple cloak.

The heat from the flames is intense, but the fireproof cloak protects you completely. Once through the archway, you find yourself in a cross-passage. Looking to the right, you see nothing of interest down the long tunnel, but to your left you see something hanging down from the ceiling. You decide to investigate: turn to 88.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

As you get closer, you see that a rope loops through a hook in the ceiling and that a wooden box is suspended by it, well out of reach. The other end of the rope loops through a hook in the floor and back up to a wooden block where it is fastened by iron bands. An axe is sticking out of the block and an inscription on the blade reads ‘Ropecutter’. Will you:

Cut the rope with your axe? Turn to 41
Cut the rope with your sword? Turn to 149
Ignore the rope and walk on? Turn to 388

Please make your votes before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Also, I would like to make an updated request for missing Crypt of the Sorcerer (Book 26) content: I am now looking for the content of just section 15, and would highly appreciate anyone who could show me the wording for that section, as well as the sections that it points to. After some very deep diving, I managed to find a source for sections 14, 16, and 17, but still cannot find section 15. If anyone is able to provide me this, then I will run the book with some modifications that I feel appropriate to make the adventure reasonably winnable. Thank you.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

I will, give me time to type.

Edited: Ah. It points to nothing.

You hack your way through the dense undergrowth for nearly two hours until you stop to have a rest in a small clearing. You lie down with your head resting against a log and look up at the dark grey sky, consumed with sombre thoughts. 'Hey!' shouts Borri suddenly. 'That tree moved! And another one--look, over there!' You look up and see for yourself that the ring of trees around the clearing is slowly closing in on you. You draw your swords and, standing back to back, valiantly attempt to stave off the encroaching trees. But the Tree Men are far too strong, and one by one you are crushed to death.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thank you so much Beroli! I can now run Crypt of the Sorcerer without any obstacles in the near future!

Since nobody voted, Ben Richards will cut the rope with his sword.

One blow from your sword cuts the rope in two. The wooden box crashes to the floor and breaks apart. Lying inside the broken box you find two brass hands from a clock. Hoping that they might be of use to you, you place them inside your leather pouch and walk on. Turn to 388.

Walking along, you are surprised to hear a squeaky voice above you shout, ‘Hello!’ You look up and see a small face staring down at you from a grille in the ceiling. ‘I’m hungry!’ the little man says. ‘Give me some food and I’ll tell you a thing or two about somebody you’re bound to meet.’ He drops a cotton bag down on a piece of string in hopeful anticipation. If you wish to give the little man some nuts and berries, turn to 309. If you would rather walk on without giving away your precious food, turn to 58.

This is a mistake in the book's part, as it does not take into account the possibility that the hero did not visit the place where the nuts and berries were located. For the purposes of continuity, please assume that we were given some nuts and berries by the first Trialmaster upon passing his tests.

Please make your votes before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice gets a 3-vote majority to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
SKILL: 8 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 11 Initial Stamina = 19
LUCK: 4 Initial Luck = 11
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Leather Pouch
5 Gold Rings
Bone Medallion
Phial of Red Dust (turn to paragraph 238 to use)
Boots of Speed
Magic Broadsword
Glass Balls
Iron Key
Mirror
Wooden Whistle
“There is a door behind the pile of stones.”
Cursed Copper Bracelet
“Set one, 249”
Bottle of Blue Dye
Purple Cloak
Brass Clock Hands
BOONS:
1 Rewind
1 Restoration
2 Extra Gold Rings[/spoiler]
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

If the Trialmaster was generous enough to give us food, we can share too.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Give non-existent berries.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Ben Richards will give the little man some nuts and berries.

You drop a handful of nuts and berries into the bag and watch it disappear through the grille. The little man smiles and says, ‘The hunchback is a liar.’ Then he disappears, and you are alone again. Wondering who the hunchback might be, you set off once again. Turn to 58.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Walking along, you step on a stone which triggers an unseen trap. Iron bars drop down from holes in the ceiling in front of you and behind you. You strain to lift them, but are unable to move them, and they are too thick to bend. If you are carrying a file in your pouch, turn to 106. If you do not possess a file, turn to 396.

Ben Richards does not possess a file.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Like a caged lion, you pace between the bars, getting angrier and angrier. But you are trapped and there is no escape. Minutes later, you hear a hissing sound overhead as poisonous gas is released into the air to end your challenge.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rewinding back a decision will not help our hero get the file that is needed to continue this adventure. As a result, Ben Richards’ trial officially ends in a tragic failure, the deaths of Lord Carnuss’ slaves will go unavenged, and Baron Sukumvit will probably keep his 20,000 Gold Pieces for at least one year.

Bonus death entry:
”Wow, this sucks. This sucks hard. I just cannot get a goddamn break in this life,” thought Ben Richards, as he swears at himself for getting himself trapped. “If only the stupid galley had not crushed my boat, I would not be in this entire mess in the first place. Well, if Fate wants me to die this way, it was a terrible life anyway.” As Ben Richards notices the poisonous gas, he holds his breath to try to buy himself a couple of more moments of life. However, even that attempt fails, as enough gas enters his system to destroy his lungs and bring out a massively painful death. With a final curse to himself and the world, Ben Richards’s soul zooms out of the current universe and eagerly awaits his next life.

Well, that was a cheap way to die. As it turns out, we made a critical blunder by opening the door to the room of teleportation right before we faced the Trialmaster. As a result, we missed out on facing the Liche Queen, which was a source of a Gold Ring. The room of teleportation also prevented us from reaching a necessary Giant Spider battle, as the reward was another Gold Ring. Proceeding from there would have taken us to a rat horde, which would have given us the iron file, a hammer, and a rope that was needed to climb down the pit. Finally, the pit was a place of getting two more Gold Rings, the nuts and berries that the little man wants, and a required set number, which seals the deal on how bad the room of teleportation put the player in an unwinnable state that may not be noticed until much later in the adventure.

I have no awkward life lesson for this one, as I am sure that all of us can agree that the gamebook design was unfair and that the winning path was far too counterintuitive to figure out. I will soon begin a new thread for the next gamebook that I plan to run, which will be Crypt of the Sorcerer. While it is an understatement to say that the book is also very hard, I will be running it with quite a few edits to make that adventure fairly winnable. Thank you all for playing, and I hope to see you in my next Let’s Play.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Ben Richards
SKILL: 8 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 11 Initial Stamina = 19
LUCK: 4 Initial Luck = 11
NOTES AND ITEMS:
Leather Pouch
5 Gold Rings
Bone Medallion
Phial of Red Dust (turn to paragraph 238 to use)
Boots of Speed
Magic Broadsword
Glass Balls
Iron Key
Mirror
Wooden Whistle
“There is a door behind the pile of stones.”
Cursed Copper Bracelet
“Set one, 249”
Bottle of Blue Dye
Purple Cloak
Brass Clock Hands
BOONS:
1 Rewind
1 Restoration
2 Extra Gold Rings[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Is this book any longer than the OG Deathtrap Dungeon, or is the gladiatorial combat just eating up the actual dungeon itself? Since it feels a lot narrower than Deathtrap.

I'm reminded how fond Ian Livingstone is of "you better have picked up a few different plot coupons that require you to have taken a few very specific actions significantly earlier in the book."
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Still 400 entries. Gladiatorial section takes the place of part of the first dungeon. Need 9 rings; three pieces of paper with combinations for the rings (Set One, Two, and Three); and a file.

Now that I'm clearer that a rewind is only one decision back, I will vote against taking any in future gamebooks.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Thanks for running this, but yeah, stupid insta kill based on a missed thing ages ago.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:46 am
stupid insta kill based on a missed thing ages ago.
It's standard Livingstone fare with the exception of Forest of Doom. And his next book (which JourneymanN00b will be running now) is arguably the most extreme example of that.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:01 am
Give non-existent berries.
Quantum bear-ies?

Briefly speaking of which, I was looking at an RPG book and it had a sidebar that warned about quantum bears.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.