[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 20 - Sword of the Samurai

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 20 - Sword of the Samurai

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Important note: Since the spoiler tags are not working correctly as of tonight, some of my posts in this thread will be a little difficult to read. So I hope that everyone can bear with the clutter while the issues are getting resolved.

Cover
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Welcome, everybody. The book that I will starting a FF Let’s Play of has a special history. It was the very first Fighting Fantasy gamebook that I read, which got me hooked with the “Choose Your Own Adventure” gamebooks. That book is, of course, book #20. Since nobody has done that book yet, and I just managed to obtain a copy for nostalgic safekeeping, I feel very much compelled to run a Let’s Play on it. Back in the winter of 2010, I came across a copy of this book in the library when searching for other novels. After a brief look, I decided to check out the book out of curiosity, since the only “Choose Your Own Adventure” book that I read was Susan Saunders' “The Green Slime” that my sister had since 1999. And boy, was I hooked, as I very much enjoyed combining RPGs (another thing that I was an addict of at the time) with books. A good part of this was because being able to play an RPG without the need to set up a board or have access to the internet was very attractive. I soon found myself printing blank copies of the Adventure Sheet as I tried to complete the mission. After 15 attempts, I finally made it to the happy ending with the unique pride that you can only feel after failing to succeed so many times before. Since then, I have been on and off playing gamebooks, which included many Fighting Fantasy gamebooks that I checked out of the local library and the first five Lone Wolf books thanks to Project Aon.

As always, anyone wishing to join in is welcome. The plan is to update this series on a twice per day basis, with the exception of Sundays, where I will try to update more frequently on these days. However, there is a good chance that my work duties heat up and cause adjustments to this proposed schedule, which I hope that everyone understands.

Preface
Summoned to the Shogun’s presence, you learn that your land of Hachiman is in grave danger. The Shogun’s control is slipping – some lords are breaking away and plotting treacherous deeds. Bandits roam the land freely and barbarian invaders have begun to raid across the borders. All this because the Dai-Katana, the great sword, Singing Death, has been stolen from the Shogun.

YOU are the Shogun’s champion, a young Samurai. You have followed Bushido, the Way of the Warrior, and are a master of Kenjutsu, the Way of the Sword. Your mission is to recover the wondrous sword from Ikiru, the Master of Shadows, who holds it hidden deep in his mountain fastness, Onikaru, the Pit of Demons, guarded by his dreaded warrior ghosts ...

Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need to embark on this thrilling adventure of sword and sorcery. You have a choice of warrior skills – Kyujutsu, Iaijutsu, Karumijutsu or Ni-to-Kenjutsu – and your choice will affect the outcome of your mission. There are Honour points to be won and lost, too.

Many dangers lie ahead and your success is by no means certain. It’s up to YOU to decide which route to follow, which dangers to risk and which adversaries to fight!
Introduction
Before embarking on your adventure, you must first determine your own strengths and weaknesses. You have in your possession a sword and a backpack containing Provisions (food and drink) for the trip. You are a Samurai, always prepared for any heroic mission.

To see how effective your preparations have been, you must use dice to determine your initial SKILL and STAMINA scores. On pages 16-17 there is an Adventure Sheet which you may use to record the details of an adventure. On it you will find boxes for recording your SKILL and STAMINA scores.

You are advised either to record your scores on the Adventure Sheet in pencil, or make photocopies of the page to use in future adventures.
For the purposes of this thread, the Adventure Sheet will be hand-made and will be periodically displayed.

Skill, Stamina, and Luck
Roll one die. Add 6 to this number and enter this total in the SKILL box on the Adventure Sheet.

Roll both dice. Add 12 to the number rolled and enter this total in the STAMINA box.

There is also a LUCK box. Roll one die, add 6 to this number and enter this total in the LUCK box.

For reasons that will be explained below, SKILL, STAMINA, and LUCK scores change constantly during an adventure. You must keep an accurate record of these scores and for this reason you are advised either to write small in the boxes or to keep an eraser handy. But never rub out your Initial scores. Although you may be awarded additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points, these totals may never exceed your Initial scores.

Your SKILL score reflects your swordsmanship and general fighting expertise; the higher the better. Your STAMINA score reflects your general constitution, your will to survive, your determination and overall fitness; the higher your STAMINA score, the longer you will be able to survive. Your LUCK score indicates how naturally lucky a person you are. Luck – and magic – are facts of life in the fantasy kingdom you are about to explore.
Making the appropriate rolls and modifications yielded the following initial scores:
SKILL: 12
STAMINA: 20
LUCK: 8
Fortune decided to be very generous for this special Let’s Play and provide our hero with extremely high Skill and above average Stamina. The low Luck is a setback, but will not be too much of an issue for this adventure, as 12 Skill makes a lot of the combats very easy to win.

Battles
You will often come across pages in the book which instruct you to fight an opponent of some sort. Battles are conducted as follows.

First record your opponent’s SKILL and STAMINA scores in the first vacant Monster Encounter Box on your Adventure Sheet. The scores for each opponent are given in the book each time you have an encounter.

The sequence of combat is then:

1. Roll both dice once for your opponent. Add its SKILL score. This total is your opponent’s Attack Strength.
2. Roll both dice once for yourself. Add the number rolled to your current SKILL score. This total is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is higher than that of your opponent, you have wounded it. Proceed to step 4. If your opponent’s Attack Strength is higher than yours, it has wounded you. Proceed to step 5. If both Attack Strength totals are the same, you have avoided each other’s blows – start the next Attack Round from step 1 above.
4. You have wounded your opponent, so subtract 2 points from its STAMINA score. You may use your LUCK here to do additional damage (see below).
5. Your opponent has wounded you, so subtract 2 points from your own STAMINA score. Again you may use LUCK at this stage (see below).
6. Make the appropriate adjustments to either your opponent’s or your own STAMINA scores (and your LUCK score if you used LUCK – see below).
7. Begin the next Attack Round by repeating steps 1-6. This sequence continues until the STAMINA score of either you or your opponent has been reduced to zero (death).
Fighting More Than One Opponent
Sometimes you will find yourself under attack from more than one person or creature. When this happens, each will make a separate attack on you in each Attack Round, but you must choose which one you will fight. Attack your chosen target as in normal battle. Against the other, you must throw for your Attack Strength in the normal way, but even if your Attack Strength is greater you will not inflict a wound. Just count this as though you have parried an incoming blow. However, if your Attack Strength is lower, you will have been wounded in the normal way.
Luck
At various times during your adventure, either in battles or when you come across situations in which you could either be lucky or unlucky (details of these are given on the pages themselves), you may call on your LUCK to make the outcome more favourable. But beware! Using LUCK is a risky business and if you are unlucky, the results could be disastrous.

The procedure for using your LUCK is as follows: roll two dice. If the number rolled is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you have been lucky and the result will go in your favour. If the number rolled is higher than your current LUCK score, you have been unlucky and you will be penalized.

This procedure is known as Testing your Luck. Each time you Test your Luck, you must subtract 1 point from your current LUCK score. Thus you will soon realize that the more you rely on your LUCK, the more risky this will become.

Using Luck in Battles
On certain pages of the book you will be told to Test your Luck and will be told the consequences of your being lucky or unlucky. However, in battles, you always have the option of using your LUCK either to inflict a more serious wound on an opponent you have just wounded, or to minimize the effects of a wound your opponent has just inflicted on you.

If you have just wounded your opponent, you may Test your Luck as described above. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound and may subtract an extra 2 points from your opponent’s STAMINA score. However, if you are Unlucky, the wound was a mere graze and you must restore 1 point to your opponent’s STAMINA (i.e. instead of scoring the normal 2 points of damage, you have now scored only 1).

If your opponent has just wounded you, you may Test your Luck to try to minimize the wound. If you are Lucky, you have managed to avoid the full damage of the blow. Restore 1 point of STAMINA (i.e. instead of doing 2 points of damage it has done only 1). If you are Unlucky, you have taken a more serious blow. Subtract 1 extra STAMINA point.

Remember that you must subtract 1 point from your own LUCK score each time you Test your Luck.
For the purposes of this Let’s Play, the attack rounds will be resolved all at once. I will generally only consider using Luck in battles if the character has less than 7 STAMINA points. For such battles, I will ask whether Luck should be used to improve the odds of winning the fight.

Restoring Skill, Stamina, and Luck
Skill
Your SKILL score will not change much during your adventure. Occasionally, a page may give instructions to increase or decrease your SKILL score.

Stamina and Provisions
Your STAMINA score will change a lot during your adventure as you fight and undertake arduous tasks. As you near your goal, your STAMINA level may be dangerously low and battles may be particularly risky, so be careful!

Your bag contains enough Provisions for ten meals. You may rest and eat at any time except when engaged in a battle. The text will not tell you when you can do this: it is up to you. Eating a meal restores 4 STAMINA points. When you eat a meal, add 4 points to your STAMINA score and deduct 1 point from your Provisions. A separate Provisions Remaining box is provided on the Adventure Sheet for recording details of Provisions. Remember that you have a long way to go, so use your Provisions wisely!

Luck
Additions to your LUCK score are awarded through the adventure when you have been particularly lucky. Details are given on the pages of the book. Remember that, as with SKILL and STAMINA, your LUCK score may never exceed its Initial value, unless specially instructed by the text.
Special Rules
As a Samurai, there are certain skills at which you may be expert. Depending on which skill you choose, you will be told in the text when you can use it, or else the skill will effect combat in some way. Choose one skill from the following list.

Kyujutsu (Archery)
This skill allows you to start with the Samurai bow and a set of twelve arrows, consisting of three willow-leaf arrows (2 STAMINA damage), three bowel-rakers (3 STAMINA damage), three armour-piercers (2 STAMINA damage, but required for use against certain opponents) and three humming bulbs (1 STAMINA damage, but makes a frightening noise). You must keep a record of the number and type of your arrows on your Adventure Sheet. When you are asked if you wish to fire an arrow, choose the arrow you wish to use and cross it off your list. Sometimes you may be lucky enough to regain an arrow or find some more. To see whether or not you hit a target, you will have to roll a number on two dice less than your SKILL. You will be told when to use an armour-piercer or a humming bulb.

Iaijutsu (Fast draw)
This skill enables you to draw your sword and strike all in one fast motion. This means you will always hit your enemy, no matter what his SKILL rating, in the first round of combat only, doing 3 STAMINA points of damage.

Karumijutsu (Heroic Leaping)
This enables you to make fantastic leaps and acrobatic jumps. You will be told when you can use this.

Ni-to-Kenjutsu
This is the skill of fighting with two swords, the wakizashi (shortsword) and the katana (longsword). All Samurai carry both swords, but not all have this special skill at using them simultaneously. With this skill, if you attack an opponent and roll 9 or more, you may make another attack, before your enemy has the chance to fight back. (If you roll 9 or more on your second throw you cannot have yet another attack!)
Honour Points
As a Samurai of the Shogun of Hachiman, you are bound by giri (duty) and Honour. You begin the adventure with 3 Honour points. Certain actions will increase Honour, others reduce it. If your Honour is ever reduced to 0, turn to paragraph 99, no matter what you are doing at the time. Also, your Honour will have a bearing on whether or not you can do certain things in the adventure.
Please keep all spoilers covered out of respect to those of us who want to have a blind experience. Any ties will be broken by me based on my personal instincts.

Since our character has extremely high Skill, I will be prohibiting resurrections for this book to balance our experience. So, if our hero dies, it is Sayonara, baby. After all, you do not get to rewind and get another chance in the real world. I can tell you from my personal experience playing the book that this adventure is highly winnable with a Skill 12 character, and I very much want all of us to take this Let’s Play seriously. However, I will make any reasonable adjustments if we run into any writing errors that I believe Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone made.

Background
The world of Titan has three main continents – Allansia, Khakabad and Khul, the Dark Continent. It is on the eastern coast of Khul that the land of Hachiman lies; the sea on one side and mountains on all the others cut Hachiman off from the rest of the continent.

The capital of Hachiman is Konichi and its ruler is Kihei Hasekawa, the Shogun. You are a young Samurai, the Shogun’s champion, and said by many to be Kensei or ‘Sword Saint’. You have faithfully followed Bushido, the Way of the Warrior, and are a master of Kenjutsu, the Way of the Sword.

One day the Shogun summons you to his presence and tells you a dreadful tale:

‘Hachiman is in grave danger. My control is slipping – some lords are seeking to break away and declare their estates independent; others have already done so, and plot against me. Bandits roam the land freely and barbarian invaders have begun to raid across our borders, knowing that Hachiman is weak. All this because the Dai-Katana, the great sword Singing Death, has been stolen from me.’

Singing Death is a wondrous sword, said to bestow great powers on its keeper, and to be the soul of Hachiman. ‘He who wields Singing Death and uncovers the secret of the sword will rule Hachiman,’ the Shogun continues. ‘Many lords say I now have no right to rule; some seek to take the sword for themselves, others have already changed their allegiance to he who now holds the sword. And no keeper could be worse: it is Ikiru, Master of Shadows, that soulless dog who cowers in his mountain fastness, Onikaru, the Pit of Demons. Now that he has the sword, Bakemono-Sho and Shikome are flocking to his banners, and he summons Shura, warrior ghosts, from the pit to aid him. Soon, if he uncovers the secret of the sword, he will overrun our beautiful land of cherry blossoms.

‘You have senki, war spirit, and to you I entrust this mission. Go, my champion, to Onikaru, slay Ikiru and bring me Singing Death. It will not be easy. To slay Ikiru and defeat his infernal allies you will have to uncover the secret of Singing Death. I cannot tell you the secret, for it is written that he who freely reveals it will be damned forever to the nether regions, and Singing Death will disappear from the world of men. You will have to solve the puzzle yourself. I will pray to the Kami of the Heavens for your success, and may Hotei god of Luck smile on you. Here, take this, the Seal of the Shogun. It will give you safe passage through those areas still loyal to me.’
Turn to 1.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
You gather your weapons, your katana (longsword) and wakizashi (shortsword), your battle armor and Provisions. The guards salute you as you leave the main gate of Konichi. You follow the road north through the beautiful countryside surrounding the capital; soon you come to a fork in the road. Will you go west and north, to the Forest of Shadows, Hagakure Bridge and on to the Shios'ii Mountains (turn to 10), or east, to the ford, through the Mizokumo Fens and thence to the mountains (turn to 29)?

What name do you want to give our hero? Which skill do you want for this character out of the four available? And should we choose to follow communism or fascism to start this adventure? Please make your decisions before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 20 - Sword of the Samurai

Post by SGamerz »

I personally vote to go east simply because that's the route I'm not 100% familiar with, so I'd be able to vote more freely if we go that way. It IS, however, the more difficult path, so it might not be to the benefit of players who really want to complete this one, especially since we're not getting second chances in this playthrough. North is recommended if you want a higher chance of winning, although it means I won't be participating much in the voting.

If we go east, I vote Fast draw for our skill. If we end up going north, then I vote Archery.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Interesting choice of gamebooks! Looking forward to how this one turns out, especially since you had to play it 15 times to win.

I'm in favor of Kyujutsu, since having a ranged weapon always seems safer to me. As for choosing communism or fascism, we're serving a Shogun, which sounds kind of fascist to me, so I'd go with this.

And I nominate our hero be named after my favorite Japanese character, Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill. Yes, Gogo is a seventeen-year-old psychotic killer, but she's good at what she does.

West and north, or east? I'm choosing west because the Forest of Shadows sounds interesting.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

I vote for Karumijutsu, and for heading west and north to the Forest of Shadows.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, it's by the Duelmaster, Falcon and Way of the Tiger people. Apparently, Oliver Johnson, who was/is also connected to those people, when needing inspiration for a fantasy name, looked at a cartoon of fruit juice and came up with the name Fujusei, so I vote for our name to be that.

All of those skills look cool, but suggest either Kyujutsu or Karumijutsu, as they look like things that open options, rather than just help in combat.

I vote west and north, as forests are better than fens, IMHO.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I’m in favor of either Kyujutsu or Karumijutsu, and going northwest.

I’m also more apt to lean towards a Kill Bill reference so Gogo Yubari works for me.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have counted your votes, and our hero will be named Gogo Yubari, as that vote won by a 2-1 vote over Fujusei. She will be an expert in Kyujutsu, as that skill was chosen over Karumijutsu by a 2-1 margin out of the definite votes cast. And finally, she will follow communism by going west and north to the Forest of Shadows, as that route won over going east by a 4-1 vote. Gogo Yubari begins her journey against fascist ways with this music playing in the background.

You journey on through the lands of Hachiman. Wherever you pass, people bow with respect, recognizing either the Shogun’s champion or the Shogun’s seal. This close to Konichi the land is as it ever was, peaceful and happy. After a few days, habitations become more sparse. You are travelling through the domain of Lord Tsiesin when you notice a plume of smoke on the horizon. As you draw near, you can see it is a burning village. You shake your head sorrowfully at the state Hachiman is in, when raiders can strike into the heart of one of the lords’ territories. A dusty track leads from the road to the village. Will you investigate the village (turn to 34), or decide your mission is too important and press on (turn to 24)?

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Gogo Yubari
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 20 Initial Stamina = 20
LUCK: 8 Initial Luck = 8
NOTES:
Possesses Katana and Wakizashi, Battle Armour, Backpack, Bow, 3 Willow-leaf Arrows (2 STAMINA damage), 3 Bowel-rakers (3 STAMINA damage), 3 Armour-piercers (2 STAMINA damage, required for use against certain opponents), 3 Humming Bulbs (1 STAMINA damage, makes a frightening noise)
HONOUR: 3
PROVISIONS REMIANING: 10
SPECIAL SKILL: Kyujutsu
[/spoiler]
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Investigate the village. Honour is not found in ignoring people who might need help.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Yes, see if we can do anything to help.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Gogo Yubari will investigate the village.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
You stride down the dusty track, but break into a run when screams of pain come to you from the burning village. You can see horsemen, presumably bandits, charging in among the fleeing villagers. A grove of trees obscures your view for a moment, and as you round it, a horseman gallops up the trail from the village towards you. It is a Samurai, with a long spear in one hand, and dressed in the green and blue lacquered armour of Tsietsin, the lord of this area. Will you run towards him, show him the Shogun’s seal, and order him to tell you what is going on (turn to 44), or wait for him to come to you (turn to 56)?

Please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice gets a 4-vote majority to guarantee that it will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Wait for him to come to us. His description is ominous.
Queen of Swords
Prince

"Run towards him" might result in him thinking we're a bandit and spearing us before we get to show the seal. So, wait for him to come to us.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Wait for him.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

If he's coming to us, may as well wait.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Waiting for him to come to her received 4 votes, so Gogo Yubari will do just that.

The Samurai rider starts at the sight of you. Then he shouts, ‘It is that milksop, the so-called Shogun, Kihei Hasekawa’s lackey! Long live the new Shogun, Tsietsin-Sama!’ He levels his spear and charges at you. Lord Tsietsin has turned traitor. If you are a master of the bow and wish to fire an arrow, turn to 80. If not, you will have to receive his charge: turn to 92.

Once again, please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice gets a 4-vote majority to guarantee that it will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Shoot him.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

We took arrow shooting to shoot people with arrows, he's a people, so shoot him.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Shoot him down.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Shoot him.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Gogo Yubari will fire an arrow from her yumi.

The Samurai rider is wearing heavy battle armour. You will have to use armour-piercer arrows against him. You may fire your bow twice before the rider reaches you. Roll two dice for each shot: if the result is less than your SKILL, then the arrow draws blood and your target loses 2 STAMINA points.

Then he closes in, his spear aimed at your throat. Turn to 92, but remember to deduct any STAMINA loss you inflicted on the Samurai with your arrows.

Rolling the dice for the two togari-ya shots yielded a 7 and an 8, both of which is less than Gogo Yubari’s Skill. The two togari-ya thus deal a total of 4 Stamina points of damage to the Samurai rider.

The spear-head hurtles towards you. Roll two dice: If the result is less than or equal to your SKILL, you have successfully parried the thrust. If not, it gashes your shoulder and you lose 3 STAMINA points.

In any case, the Samurai wheels his horse round and stabs down as you try to cut him from the saddle.

SAMURAI WARRIOR SKILL 8 STAMINA 9

If you win, turn to 72.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Skill roll yielded a 9, meaning that Gogo Yubari has successfully parried the thrust.

The fight:
[spoiler](The Samurai Warrior has 5 Stamina points at the beginning of the battle due to being previously hit with two armour-piercing arrows)
Round 1: Samurai Warrior Attack Strength: 10, Player Attack Strength: 14;
Samurai Warrior Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 20
Round 2: Samurai Warrior Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Samurai Warrior Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 20
Round 3: Samurai Warrior Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Samurai Warrior Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 20
Round 4: Samurai Warrior Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Samurai Warrior Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 20[/spoiler]

Gogo Yubari manages to flawlessly cut the Samurai Warrior from the saddle and subsequently, his life.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
With a powerful scything blow you cut deep into the rider’s leg. He gives a shout of pain and topples from the saddle. Before he hits the ground, you have struck his head from his shoulders with one sweep of your katana.

Lord Tsietsin is a traitor, you realize: about ten of his Samurai are running amok in the village, looting and killing the defenceless villagers. Will you leave the village to its fate, deciding your mission is more important (turn to 104)? Or will you run into the village and attack the nearest Samurai (turn to 116)? Or will you run into the village and shout out that you are the Shogun’s champion and you challenge anyone to an honourable duel (turn to 128)? Or, if you have the skill of Kyujutsu, will you enter the village and dodge from house to house, picking off the raiders as you go (turn to 140)?

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Gogo Yubari
STAMINA: 20 Initial Stamina = 20
NOTES:
Possesses Katana and Wakizashi, Battle Armour, Backpack, Bow, 3 Willow-leaf Arrows (2 STAMINA damage), 3 Bowel-rakers (3 STAMINA damage), 1 Armour-piercer (2 STAMINA damage, required for use against certain opponents), 3 Humming Bulbs (1 STAMINA damage, makes a frightening noise)
HONOUR: 3
[/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think we should use our Kyujutsu skill.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

We've max skill and almost max stamina, so I vote for an honourable duel.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Challenge anyone to an honorable duel.
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Goading the attackers into an honourable duel is the most Dudes Rock honourable response to this situation.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Gah, work yet again kept me much later than expected. I have counted your votes, and Gogo Yubari will run into the village and shout out that she is the Shogun’s champion and challenges anyone to an honourable duel, since that option won over dodging from house to house while picking off raiders by a 3-1 vote.

You run into the village and then shout the challenge at the top of your voice. Many of the Samurai turn and stare as you tell them who you are. One of them steps forward and says, ‘We no longer owe allegiance to Kihei Hasekawa, and follow the new Shogun, Tsietsin, but we are still Samurai. Come then, let us duel.’ He steps forward, drawing his sword. He stands before you, sword raised over his head, its tip pointed at your throat. You must fight three of these Samurai, but they come at you one at a time, in an honourable (but biased) fashion.

First SAMURAI SKILL 7 STAMINA 9
Second SAMURAI SKILL 9 STAMINA 8
Third SAMURAI SKILL 7 STAMINA 9

If you kill all three of them, turn to 190.

The fights:
[spoiler](First Samurai)
Round 1: First Samurai Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 16;
First Samurai Stamina: 9, Player Stamina: 20
Round 2: First Samurai Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 18;
First Samurai Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 20
Round 3: First Samurai Attack Strength: 10, Player Attack Strength: 21;
First Samurai Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 20
Round 4: First Samurai Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 14;
First Samurai Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 18
Round 5: First Samurai Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 21;
First Samurai Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 18
Round 6: First Samurai Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 19;
First Samurai Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 18
Round 7: First Samurai Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 21;
First Samurai Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 18

(Second Samurai)
Round 1: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Second Samurai Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 16
Round 2: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Second Samurai Stamina: 8, Player Stamina: 16
Round 3: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Second Samurai Stamina: 6, Player Stamina: 16
Round 4: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Second Samurai Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 16
Round 5: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Second Samurai Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 16
Round 6: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Second Samurai Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 14
Round 7: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 20, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Second Samurai Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 12
Round 8: Second Samurai Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 19;
Second Samurai Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 12

(Third Samurai)
Round 1: Third Samurai Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Third Samurai Stamina: 7, Player Stamina: 12
Round 2: Third Samurai Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 23;
Third Samurai Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 12
Round 3: Third Samurai Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Third Samurai Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 12
Round 4: Third Samurai Attack Strength: 17, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Third Samurai Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 10
Round 5: Third Samurai Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 14;
Third Samurai Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 10
Round 6: Third Samurai Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 15;
Third Samurai Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 10
Round 7: Third Samurai Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Third Samurai Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 10[/spoiler]

Phew, was the series of duels exhausting for Gogo Yubari. The First Samurai gets a lucky blow that deals 2 Stamina damage before dying, Gogo Yubari loses 6 Stamina in the Second Samurai battle, and the Third Samurai lands a single strike of 2 Stamina damage against Gogo Yubari before being sent to the pearly gates.

The last one falls dead at your feet. You expect another to step forward and take his place, but none of the other Samurai makes a move. The villagers cower in their homes, watching the proceedings with fear and hope in their eyes. One or two of the Samurai shuffle back uncomfortably. They have been awed by your swordsmanship.

One of them says, ‘You are a master of the sword and you have won great honour here. As you have fought so well, we will leave now and spare your life.’ His words sound courteous, but you sense it is fear of facing you rather than the desire to honour you that is making them leave. They leave the village as fast as they can; you feel too tired to pursue them. Gain 1 Honour point for your challenge and your defence of the village. Turn to 176.

The villagers run out of their houses and their hiding-places, some shouting joyfully, others weeping over lost friends and relatives. As many villagers see to dousing the fires, a number of elders approach you. Bowing low, one of them says, ‘I am Ninji, the headman. We cannot thank you enough for your noble act. Hachiman has fallen on bad times, but at least someone still follows the old ways. Here, my lord, please accept this gift.’ And he hands you a silken red headband pattered with a black three-spoked wheel. ‘This is the headband of Shinmen, the legendary hero of Hachiman, who came from this village. This headband has been with us for centuries.’ You feel honoured – Shinmen was a great hero. Gain 1 Honour and 1 LUCK point.

Just then a commotion starts near by: there are cries of anger and hate. A group of villagers have found a wounded Samurai raider and are dragging him towards you. They are chanting, ‘Kill, kill, kill, kill.’ The headman bows to you and says, ‘Please rid us of this vile murderer, lord.’ The Samurai lies before you, defenceless, a slim young man with a bloodstained head bandage. He looks at you defiantly, resolved not to show fear. Will you kill the Samurai as the villagers wish (turn to 238), or spare his life (turn to 250)?

Please vote before 9:00 AM PDT or a choice gets a 3-vote majority to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Gogo Yubari
STAMINA: 10 Initial Stamina = 20
NOTES:
Possesses Katana and Wakizashi, Battle Armour, Backpack, Bow, 3 Willow-leaf Arrows (2 STAMINA damage), 3 Bowel-rakers (3 STAMINA damage), 1 Armour-piercer (2 STAMINA damage, required for use against certain opponents), 3 Humming Bulbs (1 STAMINA damage, makes a frightening noise), Headband of Shinmen
HONOUR: 5
[/spoiler]