[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 14 - Temple of Terror

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 14 - Temple of Terror

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Important note: Since the spoiler tags are not working correctly as of tonight, some of my posts in this thread will be a little difficult to read. So I hope that everyone can bear with the clutter while the issues are getting resolved.

Cover
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Howdy everyone. Again I have the opportunity to start a new FF Let’s Play, which I am excited to take, since the subject of this particular Let’s Play will be book #14 and nobody seems to have done that one yet. In addition to book #13, I acquired a copy of book #14 at the same time, which I feel is the more promising book of the two. Anyone wishing to join in is welcome. The plan is to update this series on a twice per day basis, with the exception of Sundays, where I will try to update more frequently on these days. However, my varying work obligations will sometimes necessitate adjustments to this proposed schedule, which I hope that everyone understands.

Preface
The dark twisted power of the young Malbordus is reaching its zenith. The elves who raised him have set him one final task: to retrieve the five Dragon artefacts hidden for centuries in the lost city of Vatos, somewhere in the Desert of Skulls. Only when he has these in his grasp will he be able to rise up and engulf Allansia. Each day that passes brings him closer to them and only YOU can stop him!

YOUR mission is to cross the searing desert sands, find the mysterious lost city and destroy the treasures Malbordus seeks before he can reach them. But beware! Each step you take leads you closer to your doom ...

Ian Livingstone, co-founder of the highly successful Games Workshop and editor of White Dwarf, has created a thrilling adventure of sword and sorcery, complete with an elaborate combat system and an adventure sheet to record your gains and losses. All you need is two dice, a pencil and an eraser.

Many dangers lie ahead and your success is by no means certain. It’s up to YOU to decide which route to follow, which dangers to risk and which adversaries to fight!
Fighting Monsters
Before embarking on your adventure, you must first determine your own strengths and weaknesses. You have in your possession a sword and a shield together with a rucksack containing Provisions (food and drink) for the trip.

You must use dice to determine your initial SKILL and STAMINA scores. On pages 20-21 there is an Adventure Sheet which you may use to record the details of an adventure. On it you will find boxes for recording your SKILL and STAMINA scores.

You are advised either to record your scores on the Adventure Sheet in pencil, or make photocopies of the page to use in future adventures.
For the purposes of this thread, the Adventure Sheet will be hand-made and will be periodically displayed.

Skill, Stamina, and Luck
Roll one die. Add 6 to this number and enter this total in the SKILL box on the Adventure Sheet.

Roll both dice. Add 12 to the number rolled and enter this total in the STAMINA box.

There is also a LUCK box. Roll one die, add 6 to this number, and enter this total in the LUCK box.

For reasons that will be explained below, SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK scores change constantly during an adventure. You must keep an accurate record of these scores and for this reason you are advised either to write small in the boxes or to keep an eraser handy. But never rub out your Initial scores. Although you may be awarded additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points, these totals may never exceed your Initial scores, except on very rare occasions, when you will be instructed on a particular page.

Your SKILL score reflects your swordsmanship and general fighting expertise; the higher the better. Your STAMINA score reflects your general constitution, your will to survive, your determination and overall fitness; the higher your STAMINA score, the longer you will be able to survive. Your LUCK score indicates how naturally lucky a person you are. Luck – and magic – are facts of life in the fantasy kingdom you are about to explore.
Making the appropriate rolls and modifications yielded the following initial scores:
SKILL: 12
STAMINA: 16
LUCK: 12
So the character has godlike Skill and Luck, but mediocre Stamina. In my opinion, these are excellent rolls and will give our hero a very good chance of winning this adventure!

Battles
You will often come across pages in the book which instruct you to fight a creature of some sort. An option to flee may be given, but if not – or if you choose to attack the creature anyway – you must resolve the battle as described below.

First record the creature’s SKILL and STAMINA scores in the first vacant Monster Encounter Box on your Adventure Sheet. The scores for each creature are given in the book each time you have an encounter.

The sequence of combat is then:

1. Roll the two dice once for the creature. Add its SKILL score. This total is the creature’s Attack Strength.
2. Roll the two dice once for yourself. Add the number rolled to your current SKILL score. This total is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is higher than that of the creature, you have wounded it. Proceed to step 4. If the creature’s Attack Strength is higher than yours, it has wounded you. Proceed to step 5. If both Attack Strength totals are the same, you have avoided each other’s blows – start the next Attack Round from step 1 above.
4. You have wounded the creature, so subtract 2 points from its STAMINA score. You may use your LUCK here to do additional damage (see over).
5. The creature has wounded you, so subtract 2 points from your own STAMINA score. Again you may use LUCK at this stage (see over).
6. Make the appropriate adjustments to either the creature’s or your own STAMINA scores (and your LUCK score if you used LUCK – see over).
7. Begin the next Attack Round (repeat steps 1-6). This sequence continues until the STAMINA score of either you or the creature you are fighting has been reduced to zero (death).
Fighting More Than One Creature
If you come across more than one creature in a particular encounter, the instructions on that page will tell you how to handle the battle. Sometimes you will treat them as a single monster; sometimes you will fight each one in turn.
Luck
At various times during your adventure, either in battles or when you come across situations in which you could either be lucky or unlucky (details of these are given on the pages themselves), you may call on your luck to make the outcome more favourable. But beware! Using LUCK is a risky business and if you are unlucky, the results could be disastrous.

The procedure for using your LUCK is as follows: roll two dice. If the number rolled is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you have been lucky and the result will go in your favour. If the number rolled is higher than your current LUCK score, you have been unlucky and you will be penalized.

This procedure is known as Testing your Luck. Each time you ‘Test your Luck’, you must subtract one point from your current LUCK score. Thus you will soon realize that the more you rely on your luck, the more risky this will become.

Using Luck in Battles

On certain pages of the book you will be told to Test your Luck and will be told the consequences of your being lucky or unlucky. However, in battles, you always have the option of using your luck either to inflict a more serious wound on a creature you have just wounded, or to minimize the effects of a wound the creature has just inflicted on you.

If you have just wounded the creature, you may Test your Luck as described above. If you are lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound and may subtract an extra 2 points from the creature’s STAMINA score. However, if you are unlucky, the wound was a mere graze and you must restore 1 point to the creature’s STAMINA (i.e. instead of scoring the normal 2 points of damage, you have now scored only 1).

If the creature has just wounded you, you may Test your Luck to try to minimize the wound. If you are lucky, you have managed to avoid the full damage of the blow. Restore 1 point of STAMINA (i.e. instead of doing 2 points of damage it has done only 1). If you are unlucky, you have taken a more serious blow. Subtract 1 extra STAMINA point.

Remember that you must subtract 1 point from your own LUCK score each time you Test your Luck.
For the purposes of this Let’s Play, the attack rounds will be resolved all at once. I will generally only consider using Luck in battles if the character has less than 7 STAMINA points. For such battles, I will ask whether Luck should be used to improve the odds of winning the fight. In battles where escape is an option and the character has less than 7 STAMINA points, I will also ask whether the character should escape from the battle, and if so, under which conditions to do so.

Restoring Skill, Stamina, and Luck
Skill
Your SKILL score will not change much during your adventure. Occasionally, a page may give instructions to increase or decrease your SKILL score. A Magic Weapon may increase your SKILL, but remember that only one weapon can be used at a time! You cannot claim 2 SKILL bonuses for carrying two Magic Swords. Your SKILL score can never exceed its Initial value unless specifically instructed.

Stamina and Provisions
Your STAMINA score will change a lot during your adventure as you fight monsters and undertake arduous tasks. As you near your goal, your STAMINA level may be dangerously low and battles may be particularly risky, so be careful!

Your backpack contains enough Provisions for ten meals. You may rest and eat at any time except when fighting, but you may eat only one meal at a time. Eating a meal restores 4 STAMINA points. When you eat a meal, add 4 points to your STAMINA score and deduct 1 point from your Provisions. A separate Provisions Remaining box is provided on the Adventure Sheet for recording details of Provisions. Remember that you have a long way to go, so use your Provisions wisely! Remember also that your STAMINA score may never exceed its Initial value unless specifically instructed on a page.

Luck
Additions to your LUCK score are awarded through the adventure when you have been particularly lucky. Details are given on the pages of the book. Remember that, as with SKILL and STAMINA, your LUCK score may never exceed its Initial value.
Equipment
You will start your adventure with a bare minimum of equipment, but you may find other items during your travels. You are armed with a sword and are dressed in leather armour. You have a rucksack (haversack, backpack) on your back to hold your Provisions and any treasures you may come across. You also carry a lantern which lights your way.
Hints on Play
Your journey will be perilous and you are likely to fail on your first attempt. Make notes and draw a map as you explore – this map will be invaluable in future adventures and enable you to progress rapidly through to unexplored sections.

Not all areas contain treasure; many merely contain traps and creatures which you will no doubt fall foul of. You may make wrong turnings during your quest and while you may indeed progress through to your ultimate destination, it is by no means certain that you will find what you are searching for.

It will be realized that entries make no sense if read in numerical order. It is essential that you read only the entries you are instructed to read. Reading other entries will only cause confusion and may lessen the excitement during play.

The one true way involves a minimum of risk and any player, no matter how weak on initial dice rolls, should be able to get through fairly easily.

May the luck of the gods go with you on the adventure ahead!
Please keep all spoilers covered out of respect to those of us who want to have a blind experience. Any ties will be broken by me based on my personal instincts.

Since our character has high Skill and Luck, I will be prohibiting resurrections for this book to balance our experience and make us take this Let’s Play seriously. So, if our hero dies, that is it. The player is history. That is real life for you, as you do not get to rewind and get another chance in the real world. However, I will make any reasonable adjustments to any writing errors that I believe Ian Livingstone made.

Background
Perhaps it was because he was born during a full moon, with wolves howling around his mother’s forest hut, that Malbordus’s nature was evil. Perhaps it was something more sinister than that. But it is certain that, after his mother abandoned him, Malbordus grew up in Darkwood Forest in the care of Darkside Elves. He was taught the Elves’ wicked ways, and also discovered powers of his own. He could make plants wither and die simply by snapping his fingers; he could make animals obey him with his piercing gaze. The Elves urged him on and helped him develop his powers, so that they could teach him the arcane and evil magic of the ancient Elf Lords – magic so vile and powerful that it kills unworthy users. In pursuit of such evil powers, Malbordus grew into manhood. In order to prove to the Elves that he was ready to receive the Elf Lords’ knowledge, he first had to pass a test. He was ordered to journey south to the Desert of Skulls to find the lost city of Vatos. In the city were hidden five Dragon artefacts which he would have to find and collect. A simple incantation would bring the Dragons to life to serve the forces of evil. Malbordus would then instruct them to fly him back to Darkwood Forest, where a massive army would be assembling. He would receive the ancient powers and lead the hordes of chaos across Allansia in an unstoppable wave of death and destruction.

It was only by a stroke of luck that these terrible plans were discovered. On the edge of Darkwood Forest lived a strange old Wizard named Yaztromo. Something of an eccentric, he lived alone in his tower, practising simple magic and communicating with animals and birds. He was always willing to sell small magic items, so that he could afford to have brought to him delicious cakes from all over Allansia. His sweet tooth was the cause of his only link with the outside world, as he rarely left his tower. It was therefore much to everyone’s surprise that he came huffing and puffing into the village of Stonebridge. What could possibly have forced old Yaztromo to venture through Darkwood Forest to Stonebridge? All the Dwarfs who lived there were eager to find out, and a message was sent to Gillibran, their king.

After the rigours of a recent quest, you are resting in Stonebridge, enjoying the merry company of the Dwarfs. Your wounds are almost healed and the local blacksmith has honed the blade of your sword as only Dwarfs can. Resting on a porch with your feet up on the railing, you are intrigued by the commotion in front of you in the village square. Followed by a throng of inquisitive Dwarfs, Yaztromo climbs the stone steps of Gillibran’s house and is warmly greeted at the top by the king. The crowd falls silent when Gillibran raises his hand, and Yaztromo turns to speak. You slide out of your chair and join the crowd to hear what the Wizard has to say. With a glum expression, his face almost as long as his beard, Yaztromo relates the bad news concerning Malbordus. The Dwarfs look up apprehensively as though expecting the five Dragons to descend upon them at any moment. He calls on them to show courage, saying, ‘Friends, look on the bright side. At least we are warned of our impending doom, thanks to my pet crow who overhead the conversation between the Dark Elves and Malbordus. What we must do now is find somebody who can reach the lost city before Malbordus and destroy the Dragon artefacts. We need a fearless young warrior who is willing to risk life and limb to save us all. Is there one among you who would volunteer?’

Each Dwarf looks around to see if another has dared to accept the challenge. Standing there watching the worried Dwarfs, you realize that there is only one thing you can do. With a wry smile on your face, you raise your arm in the air and offer your services. Yaztromo sees you and says, ‘Haven’t I seen you somewhere before? Never mind, you look like the kind of person we want. Make way for our brave volunteer. We must leave for my tower immediately. Come along, let’s be off. You have a lot to learn, but I cannot teach you much until we are safely through Darkwood Forest and inside my laboratory.’

You hardly have time to cram your belongings into your backpack before the impatient Wizard leads you out of Stonebridge towards his tower on the southern edge of Darkwood Forest.
NOW TURN OVER

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
For an old man, Yaztromo is surprisingly sprightly. You cross Red River and the ploughed fields beyond, and soon reach the edge of the forest. Yaztromo still doesn’t stop. He takes a narrow path leading into the dark wall of trees. The light fades; branches and knotted roots obstruct the twisting path and make the walk very tiring. You ask Yaztromo why he seems unconcerned at the possibility of being attacked by forest monsters. He chuckles and tells you that his magic is well known and respected by all the creatures for miles around – none would dare challenge Yaztromo! After spending a peaceful night in the forest, you reach Yaztromo’s tower by mid-morning the next day. You follow him up the spiral staircase to a large room at the top of the tower. Shelves, cupboards and cabinets line the walls and are filled with bottles, jars, books, boxes and all manner of strange artefacts. Yaztromo slumps down into his old oak chair, by now looking quite tired from the long journey. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a fragile pair of gold-rimmed spectacles. After placing them on his nose, he peers at you over the top of them, and you feel quite unnerved by his piercing gaze. Finally he says, ‘Anybody who would hope to defeat Malbordus must certainly know a little magic. You look bright enough to learn some, but I don’t think you have time to absorb the ten spells I would like to teach you. By the way, I would like you to know how privileged you are to learn my magic. But a crisis is a crisis. Now, let’s get on with it. Which spells shall I teach you? You have the choice of Open Door, Creature Sleep, Magic Arrow, Language, Read Symbols, Light, Fire, Jump, Detect Trap, and Create Water.’ To make your choice, turn to 34.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Choose any of the following spells. You will be sent back to this reference after having learned a spell. As soon as you have learned four spells, turn to 180. You think about the task ahead, before telling Yaztromo your choice.

Open Door Turn to 12
Creature Sleep Turn to 58
Magic Arrow Turn to 136
Language Turn to 194
Read Symbols Turn to 391
Light Turn to 223
Fire Turn to 264
Jump Turn to 301
Detect Trap Turn to 342
Create Water Turn to 367
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Which four spells do you want to learn? In addition to that, what name do you want to give this character? Please make your decisions before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that they will be counted.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 14 - Temple of Terror

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Open Door, Read Symbols, Detect Trap, Jump seem the most likely to get us places and keep us from instadeath. I'll try to think of a name when I'm less tired.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Open Door, Detect Trap, Jump, Create Water.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Open Door, Detect Trap, Read Symbols, Create Water.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Language and Read Symbols sound good for exposition (and might got well together). Jump and Open door sound good for not getting stuck.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have registered your votes and will have our hero learn Open Door, Read Symbols, Detect Trap, and Jump, as Open Door had 4 votes, and the others had 3 votes. Create Water and Language only had 2 votes and 1 vote respectively. I will keep voting open for our hero’s name for the time being.

Yaztromo explains that his Open Door spell will open any locked door. He tells you the incantation necessary to cast the spell and says that it will not drain your energy too much; only 2 STAMINA points will be lost each time you use it. Return to 34, after writing down the spell and its STAMINA cost on your Adventure Sheet.
[spoiler]Image[spoiler]

Yaztromo explains that his Read Symbols spell will allow the user to read any runes or magic symbols. He tells you the incantation necessary to cast the spell and says that virtually no energy is required to cast it; only 1 STAMINA point is lost each time it is used. Return to 34 after writing down the spell and its STAMINA cost on your Adventure Sheet.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yaztromo explains that this Detect Trap spell will forewarn you of any dangerous trap which might be laid before you, although you will still have to overcome the problem using your own initiative. He tells you the incantation necessary to cast the spell and says that each time you use it, you will drain 2 STAMINA points of energy. After noting down the spell and its STAMINA cost on your Adventure Sheet, return to 34.

Yaztromo explains that his Jump spell will enable you to jump over walls or across pits at will. He tells you the incantation necessary to cast the spell and says that the energy required to use the spell drains 3 STAMINA points each time it is used. After noting down the spell and its STAMINA cost on your Adventure Sheet, return to 34.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The old Wizard looks at you solemnly and says, ‘Every minute is vital: you must begin your journey immediately. Without doubt, Malbordus will learn of your mission to thwart him and may send an assassin or two after you. My crow will lead you as far as Catfish River. From there you can either take a river vessel to Port Blacksand and then a sailing ship south, or journey overland to the Desert of Skulls. A grim task is ahead of you, but our thoughts will be with you.’ Yaztromo leads you back down the spiral staircase and out into the open. Suddenly he gives a shrill whistle; a large crow immediately swoops down from the top of the tower and settles on his shoulder. ‘Now, crow, guide our friend as far as Catfish River and make sure you keep a good lookout. The last thing we want is an ambush on our own doorstep.’ You shake hands with Yaztromo and reassure him that you will destroy the Dragons of Vatos before Malbordus can attain his evil goal. He smiles and hands you a pouch containing 25 Gold Pieces. He then commands his crow to fly south. The crow squawks and flies off. You hurry after it, turning just once to wave goodbye to old Yaztromo. Walking through the tall grasses, a shiver runs down your spine at the thought of Malbordus’s assassins coming after you. You travel steadily south, only deviating twice to circumvent danger spotted by the crow. Three hours later, you arrive at the banks of Catfish River at a point where it is spanned by a rope-bridge. An old barge is moored to a jetty beneath the bridge, and you see several rough-looking characters unloading sacks. If you wish to cross the bridge, turn to 23. If you wish to buy your passage on the barge to Port Blacksand, turn to 213.

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]???
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 16 Initial Stamina = 16
LUCK: 12 Initial Luck = 12
ITEMS OR EQUIPMENT CARRIED:
Sword
Shield
Leather Armour
Rucksack
Lantern
GOLD: 25
SPELLS:
Open Door (-2 STAMINA)
Read Symbols (-1 STAMINA)
Detect Trap (-2 STAMINA)
Jump (-3 STAMINA)
PROVISIONS: 10 [/spoiler]
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Cross the bridge. Port Blacksand is a much easier place for assassins to hide.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, let's cross the bridge.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, crossing the bridge.

You watch the crow fly back towards Yaztromo’s tower before stepping on to the rope-bridge. The crew of the barge are not concerned by your sudden appearance and continue with their various tasks. After crossing the bridge, you continue south across the scrubland. After an hour or so, you see smoke rising in the east. If you wish to investigate the source of the smoke, turn to 316. If you would rather continue south, turn to 159.

In addition to the above choice, please make your votes on the character’s name before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that your votes will be counted.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

A 12 Skill, 12 Luck hero of an Ian Livingstone book is worthy of the name Dirk (much like Dirk von Facestabber III, Dirk O’Killitwithfire and the unfortunate Dirk McMurderhobo.) Perhaps Dirk Slayington?

Regardless, investigate the smoke.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Dirk isn't bad.

Sure, investigate the source of the smoke.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Yes, let's investigate.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

East is left of south, but I would have said investigate anyway.

(As we seem to be an established hero, how about Captain Dirk Slayington?)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Captain Dirk Slayington works for me.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, our hero shall be named Captain Dirk Slayington, and will investigate the source of the smoke.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
You soon discover that the smoke is rising from the burning roof of a wooden hut. Two Dark Elves in their familiar black, hooded cloaks are firing flaming arrows at the hut. Suddenly a man appears at the door, forced out by the choking smoke. Armed with a sword and a shield, you watch him run towards his attackers. Before you can help, he is cut down by two arrows. The Dark Elves step out from behind cover and walk towards their dead victim. If you wish to attack the Dark Elves, turn to 113. If you would rather not get involved and head south, turn to 285.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Captain Dirk Slayington
Sword
Shield
Leather Armour
Rucksack
Lantern
GOLD: 25
SPELLS:
Open Door (-2 STAMINA)
Detect Trap (-2 STAMINA)
Jump (-3 STAMINA)
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Being a coward is rarely rewarded. Attack the Dark Elves.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We have a SKILL of 12, we should be able to kick some Dark Elf ass.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Ack! Work caught me again today, so I was not able to get to my computer until now. I have registered your votes to attack the Dark Elves.

You draw your sword and run towards the murdering Dark Elves. Fight them one at a time.

First DARK ELF SKILL 5 STAMINA 6
Second DARK ELF SKILL 6 STAMINA 5

If you win, you find 2 Gold Pieces among the Elves’ belongings, and you may take one of their bows and the two remaining arrows. After burying the poor man who was killed by the Elves, you set off south again (turn to 285).

The fights:
[spoiler]First Dark Elf:
Round 1: First Dark Elf Attack Strength: 9, Player Attack Strength: 20;
First Dark Elf Stamina: 4, Player Stamina: 16
Round 2: First Dark Elf Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 19;
First Dark Elf Stamina: 2, Player Stamina: 16
Round 3: First Dark Elf Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 19;
First Dark Elf Stamina: 0, Player Stamina: 16

Second Dark Elf:
Round 1: Second Dark Elf Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 17;
Second Dark Elf Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 16
Round 2: Second Dark Elf Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 22;
Second Dark Elf Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 16
Round 3: Second Dark Elf Attack Strength: 12, Player Attack Strength: 16;
Second Dark Elf Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 16[/spoiler]

Dirk Slayington flawlessly dispatches the Dark Elves in his first victory against fascism.

Although the scrubland is quite barren, you are surprised to see a patch of ground which is totally black. There is a smell of decay in the air, which appears to be coming from the black patch. Holding your nose, you walk over to inspect the patch and see that there is a bronze medallion lying in its centre with the letter M etched deeply into it. Could the medallion have been dropped accidentally by Malbordus? If you wish to pick up the medallion, turn to 226. If you would rather leave it where it is lying and walk on south, turn to 159.

Do we take the bow and two arrows? Do we pick up the medallion? Please make your decisions before 9:00 AM PDT to guarantee that your votes will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Dirk Slayington
Sword
Shield
Leather Armour
Rucksack
Lantern
Bow(?)
Arrows (?) (x2)
GOLD: 27
SPELLS:
Open Door (-2 STAMINA)
Detect Trap (-2 STAMINA)
Jump (-3 STAMINA)
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Take the bow and arrows, but half vote for not picking up the medallion, for fear it's the cause of the black decay.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Take the bow and the arrows...and not the medallion, because "could it have been dropped ACCIDENTALLY by Malbordus?" sounds super-suspicious to me.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed, leave the medallion. Take the bow and arrows, though.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take the bow and arrows but not the probably cursed medallion
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dirk Slayington will take the bow and two arrows, and will leave the medallion where it is lying and walk on south.

The day wears on and you make good progress over the flat scrubland. When it is finally too dark to walk any further, you find shelter in a cluster of boulders. Roll one die. If you roll a 1, turn to 398. If you roll any other number, turn to 15.

The roll yielded a 2.

The night passes without incident; you wake at dawn feeling refreshed. Add 2 STAMINA points. You sling your backpack on to your shoulders and set off again (turn to 305).

Up ahead in the sky, you see something flying towards you. As it gets closer, you see that it is a creature with the body of a large bird of prey, but the upper torso of a woman. It begins to emit a piercing shriek, which you instantly recognize. You frantically plug your ears with cloth that you rip from your shirt, so as not to hear the mesmerizing call of the dreaded Harpy. If you can and wish to cast a Magic Arrow spell, turn to 184. Otherwise you must fight the Harpy with your sword (turn to 75).
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Dirk Slayington does not have the Magic Arrow spell and must fight the Harpy.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The vicious Harpy swoops down to attack you with its razor-sharp talons.

HARPY SKILL 8 STAMINA 5

If you win, set off south again, keeping a watchful eye out for other hostile creatures (turn to 86).

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Harpy Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 23;
Harpy Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 16
Round 2: Harpy Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 20;
Harpy Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 16
Round 3: Harpy Attack Strength: 14, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Harpy Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 16[/spoiler]

As with the Dark Elves, Dirk Slayington flawlessly kills the harpy.

As you walk along, a leather pouch suddenly drops out of the sky on to the ground in front of you. You open the pouch and find a note inside, written by Yaztromo. It says: ‘Friend, I have learned of bad news. Malbordus is already ahead of you. But look up, for help is at hand to enable you to catch up.’

Obeying his instruction, you look up and at first think another Harpy is above you, but then you see that it is a giant eagle, gliding through the air. The eagle circles above you and then lands with effortless ease close by. Pleased that old Yaztromo is concerned for your life, you climb on to the back of the eagle. You are soon riding through the air, travelling quickly towards the Desert of Skulls. However, your good fortune is quickly brought to an end when you hear an ominous screeching above you. Like a giant diving gannet, a hideous Pterodactyl swoops down to attack the eagle. If you are carrying a bow and arrow, turn to 132. If you can and wish to cast a Magic Arrow spell, turn to 36. If you do not possess a missile weapon, turn to 363.

Dirk Slayington does have a bow and arrow.

The diving Pterodactyl is a difficult target to hit, and you aim carefully before releasing the arrow. Roll two dice and add 3 to the total. If the total is the same or less than your SKILL, turn to 104. If the total is greater than your SKILL, turn to 254.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Rolling the dice and adding 3 yields an 8, which is less than Dirk Slayington’s Skill.

The arrow hits its large target, but does not kill the Pterodactyl. It squawks and turns away, but then dives down to attack again. If you wish to fire another arrow at the giant reptile, turn to 199. If you would rather let the flying giants fight it out, turn to 311.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Dirk Slayington
Sword
Shield
Leather Armour
Rucksack
Lantern
Bow
Arrows x1
GOLD: 27
SPELLS:
Open Door (-2 STAMINA)
Detect Trap (-2 STAMINA)
Jump (-3 STAMINA)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We’re still riding the Eagle right? Then we definitely want to shoot down the pterodactyl over letting it attack our mount.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, we started with exactly 2 arrows, use the other one.

Also, the Harpy's voice is both piercing and mesmerising?