[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 58: Revenge of the Vampire

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which Fighting Fantasy Mini Adventure should I do a Let's Play of after this Let's Play?

Prey of the Hunter
No votes
Bones of the Banished
No votes
Queen of Shades
25%
Vengeance at Midnight
No votes
Descent of Darkness
No votes
Six-Gun Friday
75%

Total votes: 4

Beroli
Prince

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 58: Revenge of the Vampire

Post by Beroli »

This gamebook is a sequel to Vault of the Vampire, and lists the same author, Keith Martin. This is rather baffling to me, for reasons I will go into when we get there.

The protagonist, however, is quite explicitly not the protagonist of Vault of the Vampire, but a random unrelated Allansian adventurer. You can imagine that the previous protagonist is living happily ever after with Nastassia, is on another and unrelated adventure, or has been horribly killed by some of the incidental villains of this book, as suits your fondness for grimdark.

From the back cover:
Count Heydrich, Vampire, is back from the dead!

A half-forgotten evil has arisen from the grave to stalk the Old World in search of fresh blood and new victims to enslave. Count Reiner Heydrich, undead Vampire Lord, is ancient beyond the reckoning of mortals. This time, however, there is someone on his trail, a brave hero who is determined that he shall not succeed in his evil plans. That someone is YOU!
Standard FF Boilerplate rules:
Skill, Stamina, & Luck
[spoiler]SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. We roll a 2 and get 8.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result. We roll a 6+6 and get 24.

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. We roll a 6 and get 12.

That would be ridiculously good if the 2 had been one of the middle two dice. As it is, we'll see, won't we? I will be rewinding if we die, and if it becomes apparent that we're dying because of the low Skill and no other reason, will likely reroll as well.

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to test Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.
[/spoiler]

Combat
[spoiler]SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Often you will have to fight more than one opponent at a time. Sometimes you will treat them as a single opponent; at others, you will be able to fight them one at a time; and sometimes all of them will be able to attack you, while you defend yourself and may attack only one of them. Specific instructions will be given whenever you meet more than one opponent.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.[/spoiler]

Like in Vault of the Vampire:
Faith score:
[spoiler]Roll one die, add 3 to this number and enter the total as Your Faith score. We roll a 3 and get 6

Your Faith score indicates your purity of heart and the strength of your belief in the forces of good. A high score enables you to force certain evil creatures to flee from you when they sense and fear your valor; but it also means that they are more likely to notice you and be hostile towards you!

Your Faith may be shaken by certain perils during your adventure, but it may also be increased when you are victorious in very dangerous battles and when you find certain objects or relics of Good.

Your Faith score CAN be increased above its Initial value.[/spoiler]

Some new or new-ish stuff in this book:

Magic: It exists and has its own heading in the introduction. If we find any form of magic we can use we'll be instructed on how to use it.

Special Hazards: Curses, Plagues, and Poisons:
[spoiler](This is essentially the same as the Afflictions section of the Vault of the Vampire introduction, but both longer and more dangerous-sounding.) If you are poisoned or cursed, or pick up some terrible affliction from the bite of an infected creature, you will be in serious danger. You may even die swiftly if you cannot find an antidote, some healing, or magical help. (It continues in this vein, no pun intended, for two-thirds of a page.)[/spoiler]

Blood Points:
[spoiler]This starts at 10 and tracks your ability to weaken Count Heydrich. The higher it is, the better. Delay will cause it to decrease as he grows more powerful. It has neither an upper nor a lower boundary; this does mean it can become a negative number.[/spoiler]

Equipment and Provisions:
[spoiler]A sword, leather armor, a shield, a backpack, a lantern, and 12 Meals. Eating a Meal restores up to 4 points of STAMINA; you may only eat one Meal at a time. In this book you may eat whenever not in combat. And you may occasionally be told "you have just enough time to stuff food into your mouth before the enemy attacks, if you choose." You will sometimes be told "you must eat a Meal"; when this happens, you don't gain Stamina from it, just deduct the Meal. If you're told that and you have no Meals, take 2 points of damage.

You do not start with any kind of potion.[/spoiler]

Special Note:[spoiler]This gamebook, alone among Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks as far as I know, is buggy and unwinnable even with perfect rolls. I will be editing the bug. I will not mention when you get to that point; for one thing, saying "you originally actually couldn't..." would effectively tell you what you need to do there.[/spoiler]

Name: Suggestions welcomed.

BACKGROUND:
There is little call for the services of a warrior at this time of year in the town of Gummport, it seems. The eastern coastline of the Old World has been all too peaceful for some months.The people there grow fat and lazy, and they're not your type of folk at all. Bored and restless, you sit in a tavern in a miserable little village outside the town, wondering whether to return to Allansia or to seek more interesting and dangerous lands in the Old World. Then your eyes turn, as everyone else's do, to an old man who's been helped to a table beside a crackling log fire. He is tall, thin and stooped, with a livid scar running down his neck, and his hands shake a little as he puts a blackthom stick down beside the wooden chair into which he lowers himself painfully. He doesn't take off his heavy brown cloak and even next to the fire he seems cold. As his face glows in the reflected firelight, you see that his eyes are opaque and milky: the old man is blind. He seems to be entirely alone, for he was helped to his seat by the landlord's son, and now no one sits with him. In the tavem, a couple of shifty-eyed, rat-faced men--evil-looking sorts--are already gazing at him, and you guess they see him as a soft target. He may well end up in a back alley with a knife in his back if they get their way. Scowling at them so that they back away like the cowards they are, you walk over with the last of your meal and sit down beside him.

He is glad of your company and is happy to talk to you. After you have introduced yourself, he says his name is Henrik van der Termlen, from Mauristatia - as if his accent didn't give that away. He is on his way to visit a friend, a fellow scholar in one of the monasteries which throng the shores of Lake Libra. 'lt will be good to see old Sewarth again,' he says, 'although I wish the matter concerning us was not so evil, and time not so
short.'

He falls quiet,and sips his ale.

You ask him why he is travelling alone in these rough lands. 'l was not alone until yesterday,' he says quietly. 'But then Otto, my old friend and servant, did not wake from his bed. His body was cold and his face frozen into a terrible scream.' His hands fidget as if he was running them over his old friend's face again. 'He was murdered, poisoned. Clearly my enemy does not want me to reach my destination.'

For a moment you consider the possibility that he might be mad but he hasn't far to go and you feel sorry for him, so you offer to accompany him to the safety of the monastery. His face breaks into a smile. 'You are a good friend, I think,' he says happily. 'l will be glad of your company.I am tired and need to sleep now; however, I shall see you here in the morning. Though you have not asked,I have a little gold with me, and you will be rewarded for your kindness.' Before you can protest, he gets up and shuffles towards the bedrooms of the tavern, his stick tapping against the wall. You finish your supper and tum in yourself.

In the morning, there is no sign of Henrik at breakfast, so you go to his room. You knock twice on the door, but there is no reply. Uneasily, you open the door and, entering, you are appalled at what you see. The old man has been killed. A heavy-bladed knife protrudes from the crumpled body lying on the blood-soaked bed. Horrified, you reel away and your foot catches on a small wooden box sticking out from under the bed; as you trip over, the lid falls open and some papers and gold pieces spill on to the floor.

You pick up the papers and look at them: they are notes addressed to Sewarth and, though you don't mean to pry, you can't help glancing through them.
Much of what is written here makes little sense to you, but it is clear that Henrick has been hunting an evil fugitive from Mortvania whose name is Count Reiner Heydrich: Henrik documents his terrible life and his eventual slaying. The man was a monster: Henrik tells of the murders of hundreds of peasants by impaling, the draining of their blood and much worse. Then your eyes take in the following words.

. . . though Heydrich was slain, he could not be destroyed for ever. Somewhere, his life force is contained in a magical artefact which will protect him, although I have not yet learned what this is. I do know that destroying it will be vital, otherwise the Vampire will be invulnerable. He longs for revenge after he was vanquished in Mortvania. Now, he can become far stronger than ever he was in that wretched land.

You are stunned. Henrick was a Vampire hunter, it seems! The last of the notes begs Sewarth to research the Soul Jewel and discover its nature. These must be copies of letters sent by Henrik to the scholar-monk. If the latter replied, Henrik doesn't have the letters with him.

What should you do now? Henrik is past human aid. You are angry at the cowardly murderers who slew a helpless blind man, but you do not know who they are and you cannot find them and bring them to justice. All you can do now is to take these papers to Sewarth and hope that Henrik's research will come to fruition. A Vampire - the most feared of all the undead, a leecher of life and blood,an appalling evil! Yes, you will take Henrik's letters to the monk. That, at least, you can do.

You hesitate as you look at the gold on the floor. If you leave it, in all likelihood the thieves of the tavern will soon take it. You have a choice at the start of your adventure. If you want to leave here at once and head for Lake Libra,tum to paragraph 1. If you decide to take the gold, turn to paragraph 51. Please vote by midnight EST to be sure it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]
Name: ???
Skill: 8/8
Stamina: 24/24
Luck: 12/12
Faith: 6
Blood Points: 10
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Backpack, Lantern
Provisions: 12 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Gold Pieces: 0
Special Notes:
[/spoiler]

Description of Fighting Fantasy Mini-Adventures

Prey of the Hunter: A futuristic law enforcement agent, you are stranded on a backwater planet and hunted by a powerful, sadistic alien. You must survive long enough to escape.

Bones of the Banished: The chieftain of your tribe has died without an heir. With the other young warriors, you must venture out and hunt for trophies; the one who brings back the most impressive trophy will become the new chieftain.

Queen of Shades: A female Sightmaster and worshiper of Libra, Goddess of Justice in Khare, you find your recent actions have earned a deadly curse. Can you survive long enough to see it lifted? (This is set in the same world as the Sorcery! tetralogy.)

Vengeance at Midnight: Rumors suggest that a new supervillain has deadly plans in Titan City. Jean Lafayette, the Silver Crusader, must prevent them. (This is a sequel to Appointment with F. E. A. R., which has a current Let's Play being played here now.)

Ascent of Darkness: The Caarth horde threatens your home, but you fight them with the power--and the epic failings--of Perseus, Heracles, or Odysseus. However, a letter telling you of your father's death calls you home to deal with a more mysterious threat.

Six-Gun Friday: In the Old West, you are the Marshall of the town of Bent Reed when the infamous band of outlaws, the Friday Clan, begin terrorizing your town. Defeating one member of the gang is more than any lawman has yet been able to do, but you are determined to stop them all permanently.
Last edited by Beroli on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 58: Revenge of the Vampire

Post by Thaluikhain »

I bet if we take the gold people will come in and think we killed him for it, but the gold might still be important so take it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.

Since Blade Belmont von Alucard is away, I suppose our character should be named like Morris Belnades van Helsing.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Revenge of the Vampire is an interesting one, and it's been a very long time since I have played it. I don't remember much, but I do think that 8 SKILL (ouch) makes this game next to impossible to win.

My votes are to take the gold, and name our character Eric Cross Brooks, as I feel that there has been enough Castlevania references and would like to show the Blade trilogy some love.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Yes, let's take the gold.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You pick 6 Gold Pieces up off the floor and bundle the papers into your pocket, then you head downstairs to leave the tavern. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, tum to 1. If you are Unlucky,tum to 105.

(Cannot fail this.)

Leaving the village behind you, you make for Lake Libra, following the riverside road. You get a lift on a cart from a friendly farmer, and soon find yourself at the lakeside,the papers tucked safely inside your shirt. Then you realize that many monastic settlements throng the lakeside,and you do not know which one Sewarth lives in! So you knock at the front door of the first monastery you come to and ask the young monk who opens it if he knows where Sewarth can be found. He shakes his head,but then he says that the monks of the Hamaskian Monastery willknow. There,the monks of the god of leaming will tell you where to find Sewarth - for a small donation. If you have 1 Gold Piece and are willing to pay them, they tell you where Sewarth is to be found. If you can't - or won't - pay, then you have to keep asking around and you are delayed; lose 1 Blood Point.Turn to 351.

Sewarth, you learn, is one of the Elders of the Halls of the Stars and lives in a small building with a splendid glass dome. Gossip tells you that the monks of this place are rather eccentric, even by monkish standards, and keep themselves to themselves. They have a reputation for very odd and obscure studies, and no one is certain exactly what it is they do most of the time. You approach the monastery and rap the small gargoyle door-knocker on the front door. A weedy young man in grey robes opens the door a fraction, and clearly he doesn't much like the look of you. You
manage to stick one foot in the door and wave Henrik's papers in his face, saying that they must be delivered to Sewarth urgently. 'Wait a moment,' the youth says,determinedly forcing the door shut despite the obstacle of your foot.

Inside a minute, two rather older monks are staring at you round the reopened door. You explain yourself, and one of them says, 'Very well, you'd better come in. Sewarth is away at the moment, but perhaps we can help.' They admit you into their hallway and lead you into a spartan room. You explain how you came by the papers you are carrying.

'l am Endrell,' the taller and older of the monks says, 'and this is Marcus. We are two of the four Elders here. Our colleagues, Sewarth and Sandar, are away for a short time, though we expect Sewarth back soon. May I look at the papers you have brought?'

If you are happy to hand over the papers to him, tum to 257. If you don't want to do this, tum to 205.

If you have any other name suggestions or a preference between the names Morris Belnades van Helsing and Eric Cross Brooks, now's the time to mention them. Also, please vote on whether to sacrifice 1 Gold Piece or 1 Blood Point to reach this entry, and finally, whether to hand the papers to Endrell or not. Please vote by noon EST to be sure it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Morris Belnades van Helsing/Eric Cross Brooks/???
Luck: 11/12
Blood Points: 9/10
Gold Pieces: 5/6
Special Notes:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My votes are to pay the monks their Gold Piece, as Gold Pieces are meant to be spent in situations such as this, and not to hand the papers to the monks, as I have a feeling they should be for Sewarth's eyes only.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pay the monks; we picked up the gold for a reason. Don’t show the papers to the monks until/unless Sewarth shows up.

Also I’m down with Eric Cross Brooks.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Pay monks, keep papers, yeah.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

'l feel I should give them to Sewarth in person,' you say. 'They must be important if the man carrying them was killed because of them.'

Endrell raises his eyebrows but makes no objection. 'Very well, then, you must wait until Sewarth returns,' he says grudgingly. 'We can offer you such hospitality as we possess.' You are shown to a plain bedroom with a hard pallet bed and a couple of blankets which seem to have been woven from the roughest wool in all Titan. After some bread, a bowl of thin soup and a mug of water, you pull the blankets over you and settle down to sleep. Tum to 74.

Sleep doesn't come easily: the bed is very hard and it gets cold at nights.The blankets may be rough but they don't keep you warm - they actually help to keep you awake, they're so ticklish. You toss and turn fitfully. Will you:

Try to get back to sleep? Turn to 326
Find Endrell to talk some more, if you haven't done so already? Tum to 132
Find Marcus to talk further,if you haven't done so already? Tum to 356
Get up and explore the monastery? Tum to 232
Please vote by midnight EST to be sure it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Eric Cross Brooks
Gold Pieces: 5
Special Notes:
Last edited by Beroli on Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to get up and explore the monastery.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I don’t actually think Marcus has said anything to us, so I’d be curious to talk to him.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Breaking the tie in favor of going to talk to Marcus.

You don't know for certain where Marcus's rooms are, but luckily you guess correctly: his study room is just across the corridor from Endrell's. You knock gently on the door and hear a bolt being drawn back. The door opens just a fraction and the monk's clearly frightened face peers out at you. Surprised by his look, you say that you very much want to talk to him, for you are worried about Sewarth. He nods and lets you in. <spoillerific options elided>

You don't really have much in the way of grounds for suspicion, but you say you are surprised not to have been told where Sewarth is, or exactly how long he will be away. Marcus scratches his brow with worry. 'He left without telling anyone why,' he says. Questioning him,you learn that it was Endrell who told Marcus about the departure of the other Elders; they didn't tell him themselves. Marcus is clearly worried. You decide that you don't want to confront Endrell with this, so you pump Marcus for more information. All he has himself are misgivings, but he does say that he has noticed that Endrell is often not in his bedroom at nights. You have your own suspicions about Endrell now, so you decide to do some exploring in the monastery. Turn to 232.

You gaze up and down the passages briefly to get your bearings. From outside your bedroom door, passages lead east and west. Eastwards are the rooms of the Elder monks and some other chambers you don't know about. To the west, the doors to the dining hall face the main doors, and further along there are more doors - again, you do not know where these may lead to. If you want to explore to the east, tum to 265. lf you want to head westwards, tum to 197.

Please vote by noon EST to be sure it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
Special Notes:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Eric Cross Brooks is not a ruler, so there is no good reason to go the fascist route here, especially since there is still too much fascism in the world today. My vote is to head westwards.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'd like to check out the rooms of the Elder monks, especially if Endrell isn't there.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Breaking the tie in favor of exploring the east rooms:

In the east wing of the monastery there are several doors. There is one to the north, which must lead into a sizeable room, judging by distances. To the south, there are two pairs of doors facing each other, to the east and west. You know the first door to the west is Endrell's room, and you guess that the one facing it must beknow from having talked to him there that the one facing it is Marcus's room. The others you do not know about. Finally, there is a door to the south. You should explore somewhere you have not visited before. Will you open:
The door to the north? Turn to 375
The door to Marcus's room, if you haven't spoken with him already? Turn to 356
The second door to the west? Turn to 107
The second door to the east? Turn to 181
The door to the south? Turn to 135

Please vote by midnight EST to be sure it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
Special Notes:
Queen of Swords
Prince

We can't peek into Endrell's room to make sure he's tucked in comfortably?

Okay, try the second door to the west then.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to go to the second door to the west to get our hero away from the fascist path.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Second door to the west is as good as any.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second door to the west, sure.

Stupid unmarked door choices. I guess it's supposed to be a slow burn tension increasing thing, but still...
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

You push openthe door of an unused guest room. If you wish to do so, you can make a brief search; Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you find 3 Gold Pieces in a pouch carelessly left behind. If you are Unlucky, you find nothing. If you don't want to Test your Luck, you don't have to do so. Now you must search the east wing further (turn [back] to 265) or make for the west wing (turn to 197).

Vote on whether to search for gold and whether to stay in the east wing or head for the west wing. If you choose the east wing, also vote for the north door (375), the second east door (181), or the south door (135).

Please vote by noon EST to be sure it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
Special Notes:
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My votes are to Test our Luck and hope we do not get any goddamn whammies by rolling a 12, and go to the west wing to take a stand against fascism.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

That sounds good to me. How useful extra gold varies heavily from book to book. Not having read this one I have no idea whether this is one where a few gold pieces early on is the difference between winning and losing or whether it’s chump change. Since we have luck to spare I figure it’s worth going for the gold in case this book is a case of the former.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Search for gold and finish checking rooms in the east wing. Might as well be methodical about it, so second door.