Watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Re: Watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

What they wanted to do was "print money". In the short term, that goal was achieved. In the long term...?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I mean, I don't think the viability of the SW brand has been harmed in any real, long term way. Disney is still printing money with it, and probably some of that is that "fans" have specific people to blame (Kathleen Kennedy if you're alt right, Abrahms if you're not). The fact that the various small screen things are doing really well probably helps with that.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

There was like, nothing I enjoyed about the 8th movie. I have to imagine the worse sales of the 9th movie were people who were done with the franchise after number 8.

I only went to see #9 because my son really wanted to see it. I didn't love it, and it didn't rekindle any love for the franchise, but it wasn't so aggravating and boring to watch as the other. If they make another trilogy then the only reason I'd watch it is if my kids insisted. Hopefully they will be old enough to watch it on their own by then tho.

I am pleased by the raving for Ghostbusters and am now more enthusiastic to watch it. I didn't really like reboot that much. The acting was fine but I didn't care for the villain, and I dunno, the visuals seemed more bright and shiny than I'm used to for Ghostbusters. I would have preferred for it to have existed in the same setting as the originals, which would have been a very different movie.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

As someone who saw Answer the Call, and saw their current self in the new ghostbusters, and their past self in the villain... I might have a very specific enjoyment of that movie.

(stupid autocorrect)
Last edited by Prak on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Afterlife is to Ghostbusters as The Force Awakens is to A New Hope.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:00 pm
Afterlife is to Ghostbusters as The Force Awakens is to A New Hope.
I don't know if you can make a comparison like that. Ghostbusters is a fine movie, and I quite enjoy it; it was a box-office success and it spawned successful merchandise. I remember seeing 'Ghostbusters' (not the real ones) in a local holiday parade. But Star Wars was a genuine phenomenon.

Even if you feel that both movies largely rehash the same ground, there's a big difference between a galaxy-spanning conflict and petty New York politics. Rehashing the same ground in a story that has the epic scope of Star Wars is a crime; since the Ghostbusters was much more limited it's actually FINE to visit the same people/relationships in a the way that it's not okay to make everything in the Star Wars universe revolve around a single family.
-This space intentionally left blank
erik
King

Post by erik »

I feel like it's a crime that the first two movies laid a groundwork for a setting that indisputably has real ghosts, magic, portals to other realms, maleficent beings... and you can fight them with nuclear powered energy weapons or animated giant mecha statues... and the possible repercussions and altered society that would result from this wasn't really explored.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

erik wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:41 am
I feel like it's a crime that the first two movies laid a groundwork for a setting that indisputably has real ghosts, magic, portals to other realms, maleficent beings... and you can fight them with nuclear powered energy weapons or animated giant mecha statues... and the possible repercussions and altered society that would result from this wasn't really explored.
Weren't the ramifications of the first movie ignored for the second original one anyway?
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:04 am
erik wrote:
Weren't the ramifications of the first movie ignored for the second original one anyway?
It's been awhile since I saw the 2nd movie, but I think I remember they tried to "fix it" by saying that after the 1st movie, people were gaslit into believing it was all fake, done with lights and special effects and hallucinogenic gas and all that. That's why the Ghostbusters are doing kids parties to get by when the 2nd movie starts. "Who you gonna call ?....HE-MAN!!!"
Thaluikhain wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:04 am
Watching the sequels again, I like TLJ more. Sure, it failed, but it tried (somewhat) and failed. ROS failed without any trying to do anything other than be a failure.
Red Letter Media said something similar. I guess a comparison could be made that TLJ is like DnD 4th and RoS is like 5th...
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

You are correct that by the start of the second movie people were convinced that it had been a 'mass hallucination'.

In the first movie, the Environmental Protection Agency guy was already accusing them of using hallucinogenic drugs to induce the effect in the population. The first movie also took other steps to logically explain why there wasn't a larger impact on society. The events took place entirely in New York, and while the larger world was aware of the events in the news, they didn't see it themselves. The Vatican had an official policy of 'we have no policy' because of the ramifications of contact with grandma's ghost meant for religion.

There's a lot of inertia toward 'keep things as they are', so Ghostbusters might be one of the most realistic films in that regard.
-This space intentionally left blank
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

erik wrote:
there were entire series and nothing like that happened.
and comic books. the movies were the exception, but the
franchise itself was squarely aimed at kids to sell toys . . .
sadly.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.