PBEM Fantasy Wargame [pre-alpha] [recruiting]

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

PBEM Fantasy Wargame [pre-alpha] [recruiting]

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

After a long explorative journey, I've decided I want to try designing and running a PBEM fantasy wargame. I'm intrigued by the genre, but all the stuff I've seen has been some combination of antiquated, arcane, or overly-monetized. I have an ever-growing list of ideas that I want to work in, but before I sink a huge amount of energy into this, I just want to try out some of the basics and see how they work, and for that I need actual players who are willing to put up with an admittedly in-process design.

If you're interested in playing, let me know, and what sort of faction you might like. Questions are welcome.

Initial Thoughts
• The game will be hero-based, with the vector of play being orders given to characters.
• For now I'm using the GURPS Mass Combat system to resolve battles. In my experience, the system puts a premium on command ability and troop variety; just stacking numbers has sharp diminishing returns.
• I want to emphasize working with what you have. A lot of these games focus on preparation (recruitment, research, training, etc.) rather than action.
OgreBattle
King

Re: PBEM Fantasy Wargame [pre-alpha] [recruiting]

Post by OgreBattle »

what's PBEM? This is play by post?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Play by e mail, I think.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The games that intrigued me were almost all originally play-by-(snail)-mail, which is obsolete now unless you're really committed to including props and things. In any case, they have fog-of-war as a big part of their whole deal, which doesn't fit well in play-by-post if the players are every-man-for-themselves. It'd work fine as a co-op game, either PVE or against another team of non-forum players. I'd be on board for that.