Wizards informally announces 5.5 edition

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Whatever Jr.
Apprentice

Wizards informally announces 5.5 edition

Post by Whatever Jr. »

https://old.reddit.com/r/dndnext/commen ... _dnd_will/

Someone transcribed the relevant portions of the video (none of which I've watched):
"I can actually reveal today that we have earlier this year - we began work on the next evolution of Dungeons and Dragons - new versions of the Core Rule Books, which will be coming out in 2024 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Dungeons and Dragons ... with the surveys we have been giving out ... the next evolution of the game ... we are doing the best to give you the version of the game that you really want; so we can't really say much more yet about what our plans are, as we are still making them; but you are gonna see more surveys like that .... next year - the timing is next year, so next year we will have plenty more to say about those books and what they mean for D&D .... one thing by the way I can assure you these new versions of the books are gonna be completely compatible with all those 5th Edition products that you already own and love and all those products that we will release between now and then .... so next year we will have more to say."
Expect lots of changes and absolutely zero fixes.
JonSetanta
King

Re: Wizards informally announces 5.5 edition

Post by JonSetanta »

Yep I spent 50 USD on the PHB and don't look forward to "improving the 5e gaming experience".

I just hope they fix the warrior multiattack problem in the very least, when a character has like 4 levels of Fighter and 1 level of Barbarian, they still get 1 attack... Because it's stupidly hardcoded into the class progressions rather than something like Base Attack Bonus.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Wizards REALLY hate tying things to character level. They really fuckin' hate it a lot and they will never, ever go back to doing that. Because that would be not-stupid, and they don't like doing things that are not-stupid.
Unironic question: what in 5e scales with character level besides your proficiency bonus? Cantrips?
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

Players will more than likely need all their existing 5E resources and all their 3.5 resources to make the game at all complete.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm
Wizards REALLY hate tying things to character level. They really fuckin' hate it a lot and they will never, ever go back to doing that. Because that would be not-stupid, and they don't like doing things that are not-stupid.
Unironic question: what in 5e scales with character level besides your proficiency bonus? Cantrips?
Id at least read and try a level-less D&D, but it would most likely be item based, or something like Shadowrun but with d20s.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Is it even D&D if it doesn't have level-based character advancement?
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

Someone has failed a sarcasm Saving Throw.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Harshax wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:19 am
Someone has failed a sarcasm Saving Throw.
I was serious.

But it's such a far fetched concept, Wizards of the Cost would never have it.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It will just be an empty book cover. You can tear your favourite pages out of existing books from any edition you like and stick them in the cover in whatever order you like.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

Koumei wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:41 am
It will just be an empty book cover. You can tear your favourite pages out of existing books from any edition you like and stick them in the cover in whatever order you like.
Growing up with a trapper-keeper, I might actually buy that.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

JonSetanta wrote:I just hope they fix the warrior multiattack problem in the very least, when a character has like 4 levels of Fighter and 1 level of Barbarian, they still get 1 attack... Because it's stupidly hardcoded into the class progressions rather than something like Base Attack Bonus.
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm
5E D&D has to tie things to class levels because multiclassing is already a no-brainer option more than it was in any other edition. The only time multiclassing is a bad idea for martial characters is exactly at levels 5 and Paladin level 6, and even then it suddenly becomes a good idea again at character levels <5 and 7+. Barbarian 2 / Fighter 3 is slightly worse than Barbarian 5 or Fighter 5, but Barbarian 2 / Fighter 5 is way better than Barbarian 7 or Fighter 7. And Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 is way better than Fighter 4 or Barbarian 4.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:12 pm
5E D&D has to tie things to class levels because multiclassing is already a no-brainer option more than it was in any other edition. The only time multiclassing is a bad idea for martial characters is exactly at levels 5 and Paladin level 6, and even then it suddenly becomes a good idea again at character levels <5 and 7+. Barbarian 2 / Fighter 3 is slightly worse than Barbarian 5 or Fighter 5, but Barbarian 2 / Fighter 5 is way better than Barbarian 7 or Fighter 7. And Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 is way better than Fighter 4 or Barbarian 4.
I understand the mechanical reasons behind it, but much like Concentration, it just... isn't fun to actually play with. I'm playing a Fighter 1 / Wizard 3 and everyone else just got their stat boosts/feats while I'm lagging behind. Granted, I'm easily pulling my weight, but just... gimme my stats. I've got 19 STR and 17 CON, my balls are looking like blueberries.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:08 pm
I understand the mechanical reasons behind it, but much like Concentration, it just... isn't fun to actually play with. I'm playing a Fighter 1 / Wizard 3 and everyone else just got their stat boosts/feats while I'm lagging behind. Granted, I'm easily pulling my weight, but just... gimme my stats. I've got 19 STR and 17 CON, my balls are looking like blueberries.
No one made you play Fighter 1 / Wizard 3 when Cleric 1 / Wizard 3, Hexblade Warlock 1 / Wizard 3, and Bladesinger Wizard 4 were RIGHT THERE. You get no sympathy from me, sorry.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I wanted plate armor, dammit! I'm just trying to play a fucking Githyanki raider but there's not even any psychic powers for me to use! Who ever heard of a Githyanki cleric? Do I look like the Lich Queen's bitch?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Then suffer for your roleplaying choices. Again, you get no sympathy from me, sorry.

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I won't! I'm a wizard, so I don't suffer anyway. It's still a pain in the ass, though.
Letting people play character concepts from previous editions is really hard, after all.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:15 pm
I won't! I'm a wizard, so I don't suffer anyway. It's still a pain in the ass, though.
Depends. It's pretty easy to fuck up your wizard's efficacy in 5E D&D even if you make the correct basic-bitch choices like maxing out your INT ASAP and going for save-or-sucks over other kinds of spells. It's not a 'get to level 7, win the game forever' class like it is in 3E or 4E D&D.

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I'm an abjuration wizard in plate armor, I know how to fuck up playing a magic-user.
I was so bored during my last 5e game that I just... restatted my character using the Spheres of Power. Wish I could play this guy instead so I could actually have the freedom to realize my character concept. 5e is so painfully limited.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If you want to play something different than a usual God Wizard yet still play an A-tier or even S-tier character, I wrote two guides that will help you out.

DPR-focused Wizard
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CR2 ... 8Qzww/edit

Bladesinger Wizard
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O6v ... gZWXQ/edit

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I'm confident that D&D 5.5 will be a little like various versions of Magic: The Gathering.

Ie, you'll have a 'modern' block that only allows use of the books from 2024+. You'll have a Core Version that lets you use the core 5th edition books + one supplement. You'll have a 'legacy' version that lets you make a character using any single system.
-This space intentionally left blank
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:03 pm
If you want to play something different than a usual God Wizard yet still play an A-tier or even S-tier character, I wrote two guides that will help you out.
I want to play something that isn't vanilla 5e. Alas, here I am, eating shit.
deaddmwalking wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:23 pm
I'm confident that D&D 5.5 will be a little like various versions of Magic: The Gathering.

Ie, you'll have a 'modern' block that only allows use of the books from 2024+. You'll have a Core Version that lets you use the core 5th edition books + one supplement. You'll have a 'legacy' version that lets you make a character using any single system.
This actually sounds insane to me, but I never got into M:TG. Isn't this just what trying to find a game on Roll20 is like anyway?
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Yes, but this way Wizards makes more money. I have a sneaking suspicion Hasbro is getting tired of their shit and is telling them "either monetize DnD or fire everybody who's not working on MtG."
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Honestly, we're just overdue. Seven years is as long as it's ever been between D&D edition releases; three to four is the average.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Agreed on overdue. You can see that they have a lot of changes they would like to make, but haven't in the name of compatibility. Things like no racial +2 to str, and instead letting everyone assign +2 to one, and +1 to another, or subclasses that are the same as a core subclass only better.

My assumption is that whatever they do, it will have some form of subscription or microtransaction element to it, like MTG, so they can generate some reoccurring revenue from the game, instead of maybe a one time book purchase and then hoping licensing gets them some profits.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Krusk wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:45 pm
My assumption is that whatever they do, it will have some form of subscription or microtransaction element to it, like MTG, so they can generate some reoccurring revenue from the game, instead of maybe a one time book purchase and then hoping licensing gets them some profits.
I fucking hate modern society so goddamn much for this bullshit.
Not like I ever gave Wizards my money anyway, so I guess it's irrelevant.