Review: AFF: Blacksand!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Review: AFF: Blacksand!

Post by Thaluikhain »

Blacksand! (not "Blacksand", the exclamation mark is important) was published in 1990, written by Marc Gascoigne and Pete Tamlyn, illustrated by Russ Nicholson and dedicated to Jervis Johnson. I'd have to hunt around to find more things I currently own that have Pete Tamlyn's name on it, but the others have done lots of GW, FF or Dragon Warriors stuff I'm familiar with. I've had this book for ages and it's held together with sticky tape and nostalgia. I thought it was really cool when I was a teenager, have to see it it holds up.

Russ Nicholson always goes some nice artwork, so there's that. Not always great, but generally never bad. Um, take my word on this, because google doesn't bring back Blacksand! (not Blacksand, or blacksand) pictures beyond the cover, so there goes my list of pics and one random magic tea party illustration. Which would have been funny, take my word for that as well.

First off, the title could be better. What's a Blacksand! anyway? Is it a giant two headed green person? That's what's on the cover, after all. They don't have a depiction of a coastal city infamous for its corrupt rulership and piracy, which is what Blacksand is. Not Blacksand!, because the book also has rules for towns in general and other rules not really related to towns at all. As an aside, I honestly thought this was called Blacksand: City of Thieves until I looked at the front cover for the first time in years. Guess I was confusing it with Khare - Cityport of Traps, FF's rather forgettable rip off of...FF's existing setting of Blacksand.

Anyway, Blacksand! is the 2nd book in the Advanced Fighting Fantasy series. It is not to be confused with Blacksand, a book from the 2nd Advanced Fighting Fantasy series. The book helpfully points out that it would be better to read the first book before the second, as there's stuff in the first that won't be reprinted in this book due to space. Together with the writing style, I'm not sure how Advanced they were expecting their audience to be. I'm not sure how much you actually need the first book if you've played a FF gamebook and heard of RPGs before, this almost works as a stand alone book mostly just fine. Sure, the rules for special skills aren't in here, but I think the consensus was they were badly handled anyway.

And...they have this weird thing were they pretend this is a movie. The GM is called the Director, NPCs are split into Bad Guys and Extras, they address the readers as film-fans. And this isn't just any movie, but the most record breakingest movie evah. Ok, maybe they were trying to be funny or something, but it comes across as rather cringeable nowdays. The year after this book was V:TM, which was to become something of a big deal. The year before this Taylor Swift was born, and she broke lots of records and was in films for real (not so much at the same time, admittedly). I grew up with this book and forgot what the name was.

Anyway, as well as them pretending that this is a movie, it's also the way the game should be played. As in, if you're not imitating a film, you are doing it wrong.
Lord of the Rings. Your game should not be like this, because it's a book, boo!

Disney's Descendants. Your game should not be like this, because while it's a movie, it's a Disney film aimed at kid's and thus has way too much moral complexity. The Heroes have a song about being Bad Guys, and we can't have that. Also, the main cast wasn't born when this book was written and I feel old and you should too.

Soviet Lord of the Rings. It's a movie, all good.
And, oh yeah, films and RPGs aren't really that similar. You can easily come up with lots of important differences, I'm just going to mention that rolling six sided dice determines results of things and there's a bunch of Heroes not (nominally) directly controlled by the Director. And I feel vaguely embarrassed having to type that, but the book seems to overlook that. Maybe the previous book says "Forget all this rubbish, we're just saying this over and over to sound cool" somewhere, but I doubt it. Maybe they thought it was so obvious it didn't need saying. A GM Director quoted the being a movie thing when I objected to some of the stupidity that caused when I was a teenager, and I'm guessing that didn't just happen to me, so it kinda did.

The book is split up into 4 parts, the first being New Rules. This includes additional special skills such as Animal Lore and Battle Tactics that weren't put in into the previous book because they only become relevant in a cities. Um...ok. You're allowed to admit that you didn't put stuff in the first book because of space, or because you hadn't thought of it yet. You've got all of 2 books at this stage, it's not a big deal to hunt through the entire library to find a rule. Anyway, the phrase "at the Director's discretion" comes up a lot here. There's also general notes about how you can have Lore in anything, so I wonder why the needed specific examples.

There's an interesting idea about reversing spells. If, for example, you don't know the Light spell, but do know the Darkness spell, you can cast Darkness backwards (at 1 more Stamina cost) and get Light, (lasting as long as the Darkness spell would have, which apparently is different to Light). They have some cool spells as well, I like Personalise which has no game mechanics, but allows you to make your other spells visually seem different (changes the "special effects") in some way you specify. I knew someone who favoured running their enemies over with a truck. The attack spell they used works exactly the same, but instead of the Director saying "You shoot a fireball at them" they say "A Mack truck hits them". Ok, fine. Some spells seem OP, most seem garbled or require more text, and if I'm reading the create magic item thingy correctly, I'm not sure why mages don't create one use items twice a week all the time.

There's new Minor Magic. When this goes wrong, the caster loses 1-3 Stamina points. You don't roll, the Director decides. When this goes really wrong, something else happens. No idea, the Director decides and there aren't even guidelines or advice for this. Sigh. The spells have lots of "at the Director's discretion" and advising that victims may or may not roll to avoid effects, and this could be against Skill or Luck.

There's also new priest spells, and an explanation that this wasn't given before because big temples are usually in big cities like this book is about, and that priests don't usually go on adventures except for those priests that go on adventures. Oddly, you can be a renegade priest and keep all your spells, but if you convert to a new religion you lose them.

The spells are, again, something of a mess. They have a lot of "at the Director's discretion". And some are really nasty. Do you want to see if you can sense zombies in the abandoned building? Director says a demon detects you using your magic, roll to see if you get possessed. Priests can't counter mage spells and mages can't counter priest spells, which...ok. Odd, but if you like. Priests can get some evil spells, but the heroes never, ever should play with them cause if they do they are playing the game wrong. This is something that teenaged me thought was stupid the first time I read the book and my mind has not changed.

There's also a (very) brief rundown of a bunch of deities. On the side of "Evil and Chaos" (and the book uses the word "side") is Death, Decay and Disease, who are 3 separate deities, and all the evil deities in this book. There's 1 neutral god who is a crazy clown that likes to balance good and evil because you are obliged to do that. Everyone else is good. The warrior girl (not warrior woman) who's dedicated to grace is good, the god of knowledge is good, the god of warriors is good, or sometimes neutral, but can be worshipped by evil people, because the game doesn't get very far if the Bad Guys aren't allowed to be warriors. Bad enough that they aren't allowed knowledge or grace. On the plus side, the bare bones information they give is the most vital information, so, there's that.

All in all...there was a lot of potential there, but they didn't make it gel together very well at all. Alright as a first draft, but needs a rewrite and to be expanded a lot.
Thaluikhain
King

Re: Review: AFF: Blacksand!

Post by Thaluikhain »

Part 2 is about cities and having adventures there. And it's decent. Nothing exciting, but if you followed the advice for creating a town you'd not go far wrong. It's all very obvious common sense stuff, for example, how you can re-use maps of generic inns and if a town is going to be important you should work out an in-universe reason for it existing and it needs a water source. Nothing groundbreaking, but maybe some of it might have skipped your mind, fair enough.

There's a bunch of table and charts about population sizes and wealth and businesses that look decent enough...not sure if you need a random NPCs Extras chart, but people like putting them in these sorts of books. Also not sure why things like "Clumsy" are listed in appearance unless you're creating the love interest in a teen romance and think that's cute.

There's also a new monster section. Notable is the hypnotic octopus headed humanoid. Called a "Brain Slayer". If they'd called it an Octoman, it'd have been fine (the Octoman doesn't seem to be a FF monster until about the year before I'm writing this) it'd be just another mix and match critter like the Rhino-Man later on in the book (there was a Rhino-Man in Citadel of Chaos, and a citadel is kinda like a city, so I guess?). The FF wiki does give them the "live deep underground" blather that Mind Flayer's have, which wasn't in Blacksand! and would disqualify them from living in cities on the surface. Unlike the Flayer, one of which was in Khare, and has no arms, but is still octopus headed. Why have so many (or any) barely legal Illithid rip-offs anyway? What's the point?

I'm not game enough to do an image search for "barely legal Illithid"

There's no (at the moment) living deep underground, putting tadpoles in people's faces that change the number of fingers they have, coming from the future or spelljamming (actually, Spelljammer would probably work better in FF than D&D). D&D hadn't introduced most of that yet, though. Not sure what the point of them is. The other monsters aren't terribly memorable, but, ok, stick some new monsters in, there's next to no description there so they don't take up much space.

There's also some brief stuff about how adventuring in an urban environment is different from adventuring in a dungeon and advice on how to gently slide your adventure into a city and get the players used to the place. Also some stuff about prodding players in doing stuff if they end up sitting around wondering what to do next. Again, nothing in-depth or revolutionary, but helpful for Directors who've run out of ideas, I guess.

This was a short part, and I've not that much to say, as it was neither particularly good nor bad. Next up, the city-state of Blacksand itself is describe in length.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

I kinda want to play this, only so I can annoy the MC by always pronouncing Blacksand! with gusto, even though the name of the city doesn't have the bang.

Were I to run it myself, I'd probably just steal the setting and the concept that the players are somewhat self aware action movie characters and run it in 3.Tome rather than dealing with all this "D&D with the serial numbers filed off".

Now that I mention it, that actually seems like a good way to get some of my buddies who've been reluctant to try all this "overpowered homebrew". It's easier to swallow the idea that all warrior types deserve anime fightan majick if you're a Michael Bay character rather than Tolkien.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

This was one of the first RPG books I owned as a tender newbie to RPGs at 11, over two decades ago. I read the book and ran the adventure over and over again with my friends until the book fell apart.