Writer CVS? Help?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Writer CVS? Help?

Post by Prak »

So... whoever runs the Modiphus twitter invited me to send in a CVS.

Um. I have an actual game writing credit, and a ton of stuff I've done for my own purposes, but... what the fuck is a CVS/how do I make one?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Harshax
Knight

Re: Writer CVS? Help?

Post by Harshax »

A cv is Brit for resume.

Curriculum Vitae (CV) is Latin for "course of life." In contrast, resume is French for "summary."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Huh. Cool.

I barely know how to do a resume for, like, a normal job. What the hell should I do for a game design one?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Well, what's the game writing credit? Good place to start.

If you've only got one credit, yeah, that's much material. I don't suppose you've had long term employment in some at least vaguely related field? I've no knowledge of the gaming designing industry, but might suspect that something like working with a team in an office environment doing something, meeting targets and all might help.

Pinch of salt with my advice, though.
Whatever Jr.
Apprentice

Post by Whatever Jr. »

A CV should be comprehensive, so include everything and write a cover letter that highlights the most relevant parts for the specific position you're applying to.
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

Your academic record. Your professional employment. You’re drafting a narrative that leads the reader to understand how these things relate to the subject at handle: employing your for a writing gig. So, don’t mention jobs or activities that don’t reinforce the premise that you’re a writer.

They’re probably going to want writing samples, something that illustrates your grasp of the language and your ability to use grammar and not be an editor’s nightmare.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

CVs are used in academia in place of resumes because they can list articles and contributions. They don't all have to be published in print form. Reviews, articles on mechanics, etc. can also be included.

This
might help get you started.
-This space intentionally left blank