Stupid NY politics

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: Stupid NY politics

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I see your reasoning, but I believe George Santos is fair game, considering he was the result of Jay Jacobs’ deep incompetence of learning from the total failure that he brought upon Democrats in Long Island races back in the 2022 midterms. Not only is Jay Jacob’s refusing to do the right thing by stepping down from the New York Democratic chairmanship, but he continued to make the same mistakes and bringing more unnecessary drama that caused Democrats to also have a poor showing in the 2023 local elections in Long Island.

Just my thoughts.

By the way, I heard that Tom Suozzi will probably get the Dem nomination in the special election. I am not too happy about this, as he should not have retired from the House seat in the first place for his pointless gubernatorial campaign. I would not be surprised if that along with Jay Jacobs’ incompetence causes the Dems to lose this special election as well.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I mean the Cuomo judges who struck down the NY state legislature map costing the Democrats the house in 2022 is NY state politics, and then various state party officials making bad running decisions, but I don't think Santos getting kicked out of the house is really related to that It's mostly just about how funny it is that Santos did a bunch of crimes, which, again, is not really a state NY issue any more then Bob Menedez taking bribes in gold bars is a NJ state issue.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

It's been a few months since the retail alliance admitted that 100% of their shoplifting claims were false so now its time for NY governor who keeps cutting public defender funding to roll out a 40 billion dollar initiative to pay cops to loiter in stores and assault black people for shopping.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

In the ongoing war against "fare evasion" which is less then we spend on fare cops, MTA will be changing all the Emergency Doors to require a 15 second wait before they open.

Can't wait to find out who the first literally dead person will be for this important "fare evasion" prevention measure.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

This is what Joe Biden has done to democrats. This is a quote from the NY03 special election:

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, tough restrictions on AR-15s are the answer then?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:13 am
Oh, tough restrictions on AR-15s are the answer then?
Well that's the thing, congress can't pass a restriction on AR 15s because at the founding there was a rich history and tradition of people walking around with AR 15s.

So that quote is the democratic representative in NY (who is polling way to close in what should be any easy seat) arguing that if the gop rep is elected they will vote against a bill illegally banning all asylum seekers from entering the country where the dem rep promises that as a Democrat, he will vote for the democratic party policy of banning all asylum seekers from entering the country.

Edit: for the record this is George Santos's former district, hence the special election, so it wouldn't be an amazing new thing to go gop. But it was an amazing thing when it did for Santos, and it should be easily winnable, but I'm not sure "I'll vote to ban migrants because that's what democrats are all about" will be the message that does it.

If they wanted a republican they could simply vote for one and if you say the most important issue is a border bill that the gop have been right about for the last 30 years but now biden will do what they've been calling for, it's probably not going to convince many people.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My prediction for the special election in question with one hour to go before polls close: Suozzi wins by 1-5 points. Election Day numbers are not good for Pilip, despite Jay Jacobs’ mismanagement and refusal to course-correct over the past several years in Long Island.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The current margin is 7.8% with 93% reporting. It is expected to narrow, but a win by more than 5%. The best polls showed a Democratic victory by 4%; a recent poll showed a Dem win by 1%. While the lead will narrow, a final margin of 7%+ seems very likely. There will be a lot of ink spilled analyzing this election in the broader context of 2024 - even the voters in NY-3 don't broadly reflect voters nationally - so it doesn't make sense to take it as any type of definitive portent. BUT, outperforming expectations anywhere is a good sign. Consistently outperforming expectations is a very good sign.
-This space intentionally left blank
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The official position of the governor of NY is that genocides are good and everyone should do genocides:

Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

Post by Neo Phonelobster Prime »

Its amazing, you cannot convince these people that say, your nation should grant an innate human right to healthcare, you cannot convince these people anyone deserves ANY innate right for just being human, even on national rights you cannot convince them other nations even have a right to autonomy.

But this right to defend your nation through exterminatus is like second nature to them. God damn fascist imbeciles.
- The rarely observed alternative timeline Phonelobster
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Slightly broadening the scope of this thread to include NJ politics.

NJ is having many conventions, which are often secret ballot and pre decide the primary before the primary and before the people of NJ get a say. This is the normal practice because as I discussed before, possibly in another thread, possibly in this one, NJ has a primary system where the ballot lists someone under "the democrats" in the first row, in the democratic primary, and that's decided by political committees in advance, and then everyone else gets put on other blank lines further to the right, as if they are not real democrats. The first column of the ballot is worth 38% of the vote.

Currently the most significant contested decision about the ballot is the primary position for the senate primary. The committees literally vote to decide basically who gets to win. The main contenders are Andy Kim (a mediocre dem congress person) and Tammy Murphy (the republican wife of the democratic governor of NJ).

It looks like Andy Kim will end up getting the primary position on the ballot in most counties. But of particular note, when the conventions vote with secret ballots, the whip counts in advance are drastically wrong in Kim's favor, like 20-40% swings in votes. So basically very few people in the democratic party committees really want to give Tammy Murphy the free win in the election, but whenever they are personally identifiable with they vote, a lot of them do vote for that. Almost like there is someone they are worried about punishing them for voting against her, if he knows they did it!

So yeah, NJ politics is fun! We have so much open corruption that now we are counting on our secret corruption to cancel out the open corruption to produce an outcome where the primary that the committees decide in advance before the voters get a say at least puts a democrat in the US senate instead of a republican with a D in front of her name.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Kathy Hochul has sent the national guard into the subway to stop and frisk people. Apparently on the principle that stop and frisk may be unconstitutional, but that's just because it was COPS doing it, but if you have the national guard do it that makes it better somehow.

This came almost completely out of nowhere with no build up and incitement by the usual crime panic weirdos, and even the crime panic weirdos hate it.

Some people just love fascism too much to not want a bunch of photo ops of people in military uniforms searching people apparently (and in NY those people are democrats.)

PseudoStupidity
Master

Post by PseudoStupidity »

I saw the national guard thing, why the fuck did they deploy the national guard to get handsy with folks on the subway? Did something happen in New York subways that I completely missed? We had that psycho who murdered a man on the subway for being poor, but from what I saw the government loved that.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

PseudoStupidity wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:49 pm
I saw the national guard thing, why the fuck did they deploy the national guard to get handsy with folks on the subway? Did something happen in New York subways that I completely missed? We had that psycho who murdered a man on the subway for being poor, but from what I saw the government loved that.
There were 3! Murders in the subway! Over three months! During that time over 500 people died from being run over by a car, but that's the price of doing business.

So Kathy hochul decided to have the national guard search people "at random" to "create nervousness in criminals" which is literally the exact explanation for stop and frisk by guiliani.

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

The message they got from taking Santos's seat is basically to just implement the same playbook as Republicans. I can't wait for people to say I'm 10 years how this is just all ok and would be forgotten because the people pine for the boots to be placed on their neck! Just look at how many people said they don't like crime in 2023/4!
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

There was a shooter on the NYC subway. The people at the station had to flee by leaving slowly single file through a turn gate because the emergency exit was locked.

Because absolutely all those fucking cops and national guard are not in the subway for anyone's safety. They are there to fuck poor people the thing they actually care about. As seen by the fact they lock emergency gates because they are mad about fare evasion.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

https://www.thecity.nyc/2024/03/29/ai-c ... -business/

Truly the dumbest fucking people. An AI chatbot to give people advice officially run by the government. It immediately tells them to do crimes. The people doing the crimes might very well be able to get off with this on reliance grounds (because they are rich people, you won't get off).

PseudoStupidity
Master

Post by PseudoStupidity »

The AI "revolution" is so goddamn fucking stupid and the perfect technocrat piece of idiocy available. I just got back from a big conference where folks were pushing AI and that shit is riddled with errors. I saw a fucking live presentation where their big special AI product did a horrible job generating and then Photoshopping a gnome into an existing picture, it literally grabbed chunks of background and put grass on a beach because of how bad this shit is. Live! At a conference where they were trying to get us to buy their shitty AI product!

The AI revolution is going to make everything worse while C-suites clap like seals because they get to fire more people. I guess it's no surprise the government is getting in on it too, because the government and C-suites are literally the same fucking people.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Kaelik wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm
An AI chatbot to give people advice officially run by the government. It immediately tells them to do crimes. The people doing the crimes might very well be able to get off with this on reliance grounds (because they are rich people, you won't get off).
Sounds close to being a feature, rather than a bug. From a certain point of view.
Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

The biggest danger of the AI revolution is that it is an excuse for the stupid people in charge of our economy to make more stupid decisions without taking personal responsibility.

If you recall part of my elaborate origin story is that I am a Computer Scientist. 30 years ago, 20 years ago, even 10 years ago, this exact technology existed. It was AI adjacent, but we did not call it AI. It hasn't really gotten much better since then. I mean this stuff could do facial recognition with MAYBE coin flip accuracy 20 years ago. Any changes in the key reliability and accuracy aspects since then are actually mostly just advertising spin.

But something changed that required them to call it AI. That change was the collapse of crypto. What tech do the spin doctors elevate next? They are hoping for Elon's brain chip... but its really bad...
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I think Brain Chips are generally a bad idea, but I guess a quadriplegic was able to play Civ VI all night.

Article So in very limited cases, not all bad???
-This space intentionally left blank
Neo Phonelobster Prime
Knight

I woke up one day to suddenly discover I had a brand new device implanted in my brain. It was all very exciting.

But I wouldn't recommend it as something to sell to people as a means of playing late night civilization on the PC. I had brain surgery and an implant LESS invasive than Elon's chip and the risks involved were too much for anything short of an emergency.

The most exciting entertainment value mine ever had was that one evening where it squeaked like a dog toy every time I raised my eyebrows.