Northern/Eastern Europe RPG Renaissance?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Northern/Eastern Europe RPG Renaissance?

Post by Prak »

CD Projekt, Paradox Interactive AB, Archon Studio (Dungeons and Lasers)

I've noticed that we're seeing more RPG stuff coming from Northern/Eastern Europe, specifically stuff that has more recognition than "(Insert Random Indie Hipster Thing)." Is there actually a growing trend of RPG/Gaming stuff coming from that region, or am I just noticing a few standouts in the overall globalization of everything?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Longes2
NPC

Re: Northern/Eastern Europe RPG Renaissance?

Post by Longes2 »

Game industry has existed outside the US and Japan for as long as computers have existed. There are European companies with long and storied histories and games that have been popular and influential in their regions. Owlcat Studios, which made Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous, mostly consists of ex-Nival employees. Nival being a company that's been making RPGs since 1996, including one MMO. Paradox has been making games since 2000. Piranha Bytes in Germany has been releasing a new RPG every two years since they've released Gothic in 2001.

What changed is that Steam made distribution overseas easy, and overseas markets attractive, so a lot more games are made accessible for the English-speaking audience. Furthermore, tools like Unity made game development much easier, so there is a fuckton more games now than there were a decade ago.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I was thinking more the tabletop end of things, but admittedly, the first two examples are more in the video game arena. I was expecting it to be more of a "globalized markets and comm tech make things more heard of" thing, but noticing it in a specific region did make me wonder.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Prak wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:05 pm
I was expecting it to be more of a "globalized markets and comm tech make things more heard of" thing, but noticing it in a specific region did make me wonder.
It may also be that now videogame publishers are mining tabletop for IPs, looking for something to turn into The Next Big Thing, because we live in an exhausted century and the chucklefucks in charge think that contemporary creators can no longer come up with such splendor anymore (when the truth is that brilliance and splendor is still everywhere, it's those chucklefucks that are no longer willing to take risks, thus nothing new will ever happen again until modern Rome is but an entry in the history books).