Best Retroclones

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Dean
Duke

Best Retroclones

Post by Dean »

Hey gang. If I wanted to play a game that is essentially AD&D with some updates and improvements what would be the names and games to check out for that? Something that does obvious things like getting rid of Thac0 or expedites the treasure rolling process so it doesn't take half the night.

I have a group of people who I know would get a lot of enjoyment out of those 2nd Ed vibes so if you know of a decent one send it my way since I've basically ignored that entire genre of games until now.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

There are two 2e-based retroclones which seem to fit your requirements. Of those, For Gold and Glory is cheap as free on DrivethruRPG. The other one is Myth & Magic, which has a similar pitch but is not cheap as free. I've not played either.
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

Well, if “essentially” AD&D is the goal, take a look at this exceptional pet project by Chris Perkins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scruffygro ... ition/amp/

It’s a clone of a clone (Castles & Crusades) that hues as closely as possible to AD&D.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

The Nightmares Beneath got reviewed on here a while back, and though it's not aesthetically identical to 2e, I thought it seemed like a cool OSR game!
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

Harshax wrote:Well, if “essentially” AD&D is the goal, take a look at this exceptional pet project by Chris Perkins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scruffygro ... ition/amp/

It’s a clone of a clone (Castles & Crusades) that hues as closely as possible to AD&D.
This clone has a complete PH, DMG and MM and if you ask around, you can find a pdf of his Unearthed Arcana that adds psionics, drow and a bunch of other bits.