[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 23 - Masks of Mayhem!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 23 - Masks of Mayhem!

Post by SGamerz »

COVER:
Finally, the renovation work at my place is done, and I can run this LP which apparently received some interest from players, judging by the votes in my poll topic. I hope the interest is still there!

Back cover blurb:
"Morgana, the fell sorceress of Krill Garnash, is poised to let loose her dreaded Golems, which none will be able to resist. For she has equipped them with the Masks of Mayhem, which give them power over all things. Only YOU can end her evil designs - but beware: peril and treachery await you at every turn, and help is hard to find."
For some reason, there's zero mention of the PC actually being the king of his own kingdom. Even the introduction texts at the front (which sometimes add some further background to the PC character or the plot) adds absolutely nothing for this book and just jumps straight into the generic rules.

And by generic rules, I mean it. This is one of the books without any additional mechanics, so everything is just your Standard FF Boilerplate Rules:

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result.

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result.

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Eating a meal restores up to 4 points of STAMINA; you may only eat one meal at a time.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.
As the last few LPs I've run, I'm going to retain my policy of rolling 4 dice and allowing players to assign the values to our stats by their votes.

Combat:
SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.
There's pretty much no new stuff at all in the rules. Even the Equipment section goes back to the old school tradition of basic starting equipment and the choice of a magical potion out of 3:

We start with a sword, a leather armour, a backpack, enough Provisions for 10 meals, and 1 potion - either of Skill, Strength or Fortune. They each restore one of our stats, SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK to max score respectively. The Potion of Fortune also adds 1 to our Initial score before the restoration (again, as is traditional in FF).

Yes, despite being the ruler of our own kingdom, we don't start with any gold for travelling expenses. You gotta wonder how impoverished our kingdom must be. It'll probably self-destruct soon without Morgana having to do anything.

So, that's it, not much to add except to go straight into the Background:
You are the just and noble ruler of Arion in northeast Khul. Your people prosper and the land flourishes, but trouble is brewing.

One day your court wizard Ifor Tynin summons you. Though you are the ruler, he is your equal, because of his knowledge of sorcery. Each of you relies on the other for the governing of the land. But you can never quite overcome a suspicion of anyone involved in the sorcerous arts.

Ifor Tynin comes straight to the point: "You have heard, of course, of Morgana, the sorceress whose abode is the five peaks of Krill Garnash in the northern mountains. I have travelled in my astral body to her lair to watch over her evil designs.

"There are twelve forms, the sigils which hold the keys of power over all things. This has long been known to those who pursue the righteous side of my ancient art; without this knowledge we would be unable to assist the thriving of the world.

Morgana has acquired this knowledge, though the Council of Elders bands such as her from it. She has made masks of eleven of the sigils, and fitted them on undead Golems, creatures of stone. She lacks only the twelfth, which binds the others together and makes them effective; then power over all creation will be hers, to do what she will - and she will unleash her Golems over all the world. They will be irresistible, because they will be the essence of all things, and nothing can resist its essence. She plans to create havoc with her undead creatures, and has imbued the masks with the power of mayhem, which awaits only the twelfth to be made actual.

"You must slay Morgana. You are the noblest ruler and the boldest fighter of the land. Only you can succeed."

You interrupt: "But why can't your Council do something about her?"

His reply is grim: "Because in such a magical battle, the forces that would be released may cause almost as much damage as the full set of twelve Golems. Only one such as yourself, armed with purity of purpose, is impervious to most of our magical arts, whether good or evil. Yes, it must be you for our plan to succeed."

His words have filled you with dread and eagerness. Your preparations are swift, and you depart early the next morning.
Even the quest background gives a pretty generic reason for why a wizard sets a warrior on a quest and declares why he can't be doing it himself (standard stock answers include: 1) the enemy wizard will easily detect the presence of a wizard in his territory, and 2) a clash between wizards will cause too much damage to the world, the balance, the existence, blah blah blah..., 3) the enemy is in some zone where magic doesn't work except his own...) At least Yaztromo would have given us the chance to buy some magic trinkets. Can't Tynin give us some magical protection even if he can't do the quest himself?

Hell, even the wizards in Master of Chaos (FF41) gave their sucker PC 2 pathetic gold pieces stored in his boots to start him off! The ruler of Arion begins his quest poorer than a galley slave!

And can we at least bring a couple of non-magical personnel as retainers and (if required) meatshields. Spoilers: no we don't!

So, before we proceed further, let's at least determine exactly how skilled/fit/lucky the "boldest fighter of the land" (which we apparently are, although I guess Tynin may just be lying to the gullible ruler to get him to agree to the quest).

Rolling 4 dice, we get:

6, 2, 3 and 1!

How do we assign the stats?

And which of the 3 potions (Skill, Strength, and Fortune) do we bring with us?
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

That pic is a bit big, could do with spoilering.

I suggest putting 1 and 3 for stamina, and lean towards 6 for skill and 9 for luck.

EDIT: My numbers are all over the place, I meant 1 and 2 for stamina, and maybe 6 for skill and 3 for luck

(Also, seemingly unlike Magehunter, this threatens the entire world. Always wondered if you'd be halfway through an adventure and find out that some other adventure has failed a luck test somewhere else, and some other evil magicians has destroyed everything)
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

6 for SKILL, 3 for LUCK, 1+2 for STAMINA, Potion of Fortune.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:6 for SKILL, 3 for LUCK, 1+2 for STAMINA, Potion of Fortune.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Oh goody, Masks of Mayhem. I remember that book as being hard for all the wrong reasons and a complete frustration that relied on passing a LOT of luck tests to even get far.

Because the monsters are definitely hard as hell if the player doesn't have a good SKILL, I vote to assign the 6 to SKILL. Since we're going to need decent LUCK, I also vote to assign the 3 to LUCK. That should leave the 2 and 1 to STAMINA. On that note, I also vote to take the Potion of Fortune, as the addition of 1 to our Initial LUCK score before the restoration is really going to be useful here. So our character should have 12 SKILL, 9 LUCK, and 15 STAMINA.

Oh, and I vote to name our character Arthur, since this definitely feels like an Arthurian Legend story with the existence of a sorceress named Morgana.

And finally, I vote to go to the hills when the adventure starts, as I remember the forest being a terrible place to start for this particular book, and also because I distrust forests in Fighting Fantasy out of principle.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:That pic is a bit big, could do with spoilering.
Done.

So, the King of Arion is a great swordsman, but years of luxury at his court has worn down his physical conditioning (and probably drained his treasury to the point where he can't afford to take any coins for travel expenses for this important quest), so his STAMINA is mediocre.

His LUCK average, and to make up for that, he takes a magical Potion of Fortune.

Now, the ill-equipped ruler prepares to set off...
Before setting off, you enter the armoury. Kevin Truehand, your trusted but now aged arnourer, has been honing your sword and burnishing your helmet, with its strangely simple device. This helmet has been handed down from generation to generation of rulers of Arion, and legend has it that if it were ever to fall into the wrong hands, chaos will stalk the streets of your city.

As you put on the helmet and buckle your sword to your belt, Truehand whispers to you, as if afraid that someone might hear: "Majesty, seek first the castle of Hever, lord of Fallow Dale. For you are bound for Krill Garnash, where evil dwells, and Hever has a horn which strikes terror into any evil heart. Therefore I say: seek the halls of Hever, and win from him, however you can, this precious horn."

With that he turns aside, and you set out, through the paved streets of Arion, and out of the northern gateway - the Gate of Skulls.
So, the ruler of a kingdom sets off, with no companions or guards, mediocre equipment, and not even a send-off party before he leaves. At least we get a nice helmet, I guess...which gives us no combat bonus, so it's just ornamental? And if the legends about not allowing it to "fall into the wrong hands" are true, shouldn't it be kept here under heavy guard instead of being brought along by the lonely, ill-guarded and possibly doomed ruler (and being brought into close proximity of the evil world-threatening sorceress)?
Truehand's advice seems sound. Not far north of Arion is the vast Lake Nekros; just north of the lake lies Fallow Dale. From there you could head north and slightly east over Pikestaff Plain, leaving Marsh Vile to the west, and through the foothills and mountains, until you came to Krill Garnash itself, with its five ice-capped peaks lost in the clouds.

After a few days of easy travel, with springs and game so plentiful that you still have all your original Provisions, you reach the southern shore of Lake Nekros, and the end of civilization and you know it. Beyond this, the ways are unknown to the people of Arion.

Within memory Lake Nekros has never been crossed. People speak of unfathomable depths spawning hideous monsters, and of strange and mysterious winds and currents which turn the chill, still waters into whirlpools and ungovernable waves. Nevertheless, your most direct route is across it. Will you, bold hero that you are, build a raft and embark across the lake, or strike out around its eastern edge, through rolling hills, or around its western edge, through Affen Forest?
Affen Forest is actually the home of Eldenurin (or Dickolaus Von Scrotunheim), the PC in FF28, which we played through on this forum not too long ago, although this book was written before that one.

Which way do we go?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 15/15
LUCK 9/9
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Backpack, Potion of Fortune (+1 to Initial LUCK, restores LUCK to new Initial value), Helmet
Provisions: 10
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

JourneymanN00b wrote:Oh, and I vote to name our character Arthur, since this definitely feels like an Arthurian Legend story with the existence of a sorceress named Morgana.
Too bad "Merlin" doesn't provide us with any badass magical weapons...
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

While I shouldn't judge, dumping a bunch of silly fantasy names at the outset like that makes me cringe.

Half vote for the hills.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

0.5 vote for raft, though I respect NOOB's earlier advice for hills and would be happy if the consensus was there.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

If we had maximum Luck, then I'd say build a raft. But since our Luck is middling, I'll vote for the hills.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I don't think a feudal ruler is likely to have the manual labor experience for building rafts, and that forest was full of terrible. Eastern edge.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, let's head for the hills. A lake called "Nekros" probably earned its name.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You set off through the hills on the first stage of your hazardous journey. Tiny animals disturb the grass and sorrel; the few trees have been bent into grotesque shapes by decades of wind. You can put some sorrel in your pack, if you want.

The sun sinks gradually below the forest-shrouded hills on the far side of the lake as you continue northwards. Will you camp here by the lakeside, or carry on through the deepening dusk?
Besides voting on whether to make camp or continue walking, please also indicate whether you wish to take some sorrels with you.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Camp by the lakeside, and take some sorrel.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Don't travel during the night, but do take random stuff when offered.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Walking at night leads to twisted ankles, and since Arion is apparently so commie that the people are prospering but the ruler doesn't own a horse, that would be a game over. Camp.

Also, take the random shit, having potential key items is very rarely bad.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My vote is to get some sorrel and camp here by the lakeside. I think the sorrel could be useful, if this story follows the rules of what happens when we have the option to take random stuff, and I do not think traveling by night is a good idea, since King Arthur does not have a lantern or even a torch to light his way.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Camp and take stuff
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

There is little wood around to make a fire, even though you've got flints and tinder. You chew on some harsh berries and wash the taste out of your mouth with water from your flask. Will you refill your flask with water from the lake, or settle down to sleep straight away?
Do we want a taste of water with a source named "Nekros".

Btw, while the PC's name isn't mentioned, by Titan's canon, Arion was founded by Brendan Bloodaxe and inherited by his descendants, so if anyone were to second the one suggestion for our PC's name thus far, he'd be Arthur Bloddaxe.

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 15/15
LUCK 9/9
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Backpack, Potion of Fortune (+1 to Initial LUCK, restores LUCK to new Initial value), Helmet, sorrels
Provisions: 10
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Historically, Bloodaxe was a byname and not a surname, so I think we'd have a byname too, probably one that highlights our most prominent characteristic: stupidity self-reliance. No retainers or steeds for this guy, nor even money (because money only buys things from other people). So 'alone-ruler' (Anric).

I think we should take the death-water, partly because there could be a non-drinky use for it later, but mostly to see if the text even acknowledges that possibility or if it assumes that we just thoughtlessly pour any liquid we might be carrying down our gullet and instagibs us.
Queen of Swords
Prince

All we have to eat are "harsh berries". Guys, I think we're doing rulership wrong.

I also suspect something bad will happen if we try to get lake-water, which is why we should do it.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, get the water...if it was more than a name we should know about it.

OOC that logic might not hold, though.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Get the lake water ... though I have no idea what the author is trying to get at with this choice. You, the ruler of a kingdom bordered by this lake, would know if it was poisonous, right?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

"Nekros" has a lot of references to death, according to this source. So getting water is a bad idea.

My vote is to settle down to sleep straight away.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You lie down on the bank and dip your flask into the water of a small inlet. All seems fine at first, but when you next come to drink from your flask, you will find that the foul water of the lake has rotted it and made it useless. Until you can find another flask, your Provisions will restore only 3 STAMINA points instead of the usual 4. You settle down to sleep, in blissful ignorance of your misfortune.
Not an instagib, at least.
You sleep as deeply as if you had no cares in the world. But in the small hours of the morning, something disturbs the quiet of the lake. Test you Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 135; if you are Unlucky, turn to 280.
Dice roll = 5 (Lucky).
The Unlucky result here IS an insta-gib!
Your dreams abruptly change, and you suddenly sit bolt upright, crying, "Kevin! No!" But the memory of your nightmare evaporates when you see, by the moonlight, that the slimy tentacles of a Kraken are sliding out of the lake towards you. You can run or fight.
We dream about our Armourer of all people? I guess it's not that strange, considering he's the only one who cared enough to give us a sendoff.

Do we stand and confront the horror of this classic hentai anime villain tentacled thing?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 15/15
LUCK 8/9
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Backpack, Potion of Fortune (+1 to Initial LUCK, restores LUCK to new Initial value), Helmet, sorrels
Provisions: 10 (only restores 3 STAMINA each until new water flask is found)