General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Re: [OSSR] Pathfinder Kingmaker

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

ColorBlindNinja61 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:54 am
Next, is the artifact the Lich had and gives a pretty lengthy list of perks. You do have to tear out one of your eyes to use it, but the benefits are nice. True Seeing once a day as a free action, Greater Scrying 3/day, Planar Binding once per week (Abaddon natives only, like the Soul Eaters the party was fighting), mass charm person once per year (1-mile range), and Familiar Farsight at will. Of course, Paizo can’t just let the party have such a nice magic item.
Kingmaker wrote:The oculus of Abaddon is powerfully neutral evil and possesses a limited and hateful intellect of its own. While not capable of communicating directly with its owner, it refuses to activate its powers for any user who is not neutral evil.
If you have a neutral evil PC in the group, it’s yours to abuse. Have fun spamming Planar Binding every week during the years of downtime Kingmaker gives you!
Fun fact: In the PC game, the Oculus of Abaddon doesn't do ANY of that except for True Seeing. Oh, and it also casts Extend Spell on every spell you use, forever. You don't even need to rip your eye out - just toss it on your belt. I don't even think you need to be Neutral Evil, just Evil.
Given that my main character's a straight-classed Magus, he greatly appreciated having 30-minute long Shields and Long Arm. It's probably the only magic item I've gotten in the game that makes me feel like it was worth it - shame I can't use it to mind control my citizens like Vordakai did. The guy is even my magic advisor, I could just ask him how to use it. We're friends now. Really.
Longes2
NPC

Post by Longes2 »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:11 am
ColorBlindNinja61 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:54 am
Next, is the artifact the Lich had and gives a pretty lengthy list of perks. You do have to tear out one of your eyes to use it, but the benefits are nice. True Seeing once a day as a free action, Greater Scrying 3/day, Planar Binding once per week (Abaddon natives only, like the Soul Eaters the party was fighting), mass charm person once per year (1-mile range), and Familiar Farsight at will. Of course, Paizo can’t just let the party have such a nice magic item.
Kingmaker wrote:The oculus of Abaddon is powerfully neutral evil and possesses a limited and hateful intellect of its own. While not capable of communicating directly with its owner, it refuses to activate its powers for any user who is not neutral evil.
If you have a neutral evil PC in the group, it’s yours to abuse. Have fun spamming Planar Binding every week during the years of downtime Kingmaker gives you!
Fun fact: In the PC game, the Oculus of Abaddon doesn't do ANY of that except for True Seeing. Oh, and it also casts Extend Spell on every spell you use, forever. You don't even need to rip your eye out - just toss it on your belt. I don't even think you need to be Neutral Evil, just Evil.
Given that my main character's a straight-classed Magus, he greatly appreciated having 30-minute long Shields and Long Arm. It's probably the only magic item I've gotten in the game that makes me feel like it was worth it - shame I can't use it to mind control my citizens like Vordakai did. The guy is even my magic advisor, I could just ask him how to use it. We're friends now. Really.
The bigger downside is that Tristan needs to die for you to get the Occulus, and that's a loss of a party member and advisor. IMHO, not worth it.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Well, I didn't like him anyway. He stole my hard-earned artifact and keeps whining about "the people's welfare".
Then I didn't have ANY advisor who could fill his role and that made me extremely butthurt, so I gave myself 100,000 gold to create a mercenary to do his old job. Now Mistress Gizzle the goblin spiritualist is in charge of maintaining people's loyalty. She does so through divination and sending ghosts into people's houses to watch them. I think everybody won here.
Except Tristian, but I kind of hate most of my party members except for Nok-Nok, Jubilost, and Jaethal. If it wasn't so mandatory to use them as advisors, I'd have kicked them all out a long time ago and I'd have personally shoved my runic scimitar down Linzi's throat after she stole money from my treasury. I've tortured people to death for far, far less than what she did.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

In related news, this:

https://www.gameontabletop.com/cf194/ki ... em-updates
Paizo wrote:And there’s no easy way to say it, but we’re pushing back the drop date for what I hope will be the very last time, to April 2022. WTF?!?!?, you might ask, and it’s a reasonable question. The reality of the situation is that the scope of updating and converting this beloved campaign to multiple rulesets at the same time has turned out to be far more challenging than we had originally anticipated.
Paizo wrote:The project is moving forward. The project has a solid delivery date that I truly believe we can hit. I thank you for your continued patience. Things are moving rapidly toward publication, and I hope that you will find it has been worth the wait when it finally arrives.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Translation: Allowing fanboys to do the mechanics without compensation is illegal in Washington and it turns out we don't know our rules to have any hope of doing it ourselves.

Fortunately, we can make converting mechanics part of an interview process. We expect it to take until April to conduct enough interviews to generate the content we need.
-This space intentionally left blank