Divinity Board Game

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Harshax
Knight

Divinity Board Game

Post by Harshax »

I’ve got hundreds of hours into this game and have enjoyed quite a bit of it.

They’re about to release a board game that, based on the videos, seems like a interesting translation:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/la ... board-game

One of the most interesting concepts is that the board is that represents both the adventure locations and the combat map.

Some interesting concepts was movement and range on the board. I can’t remember which video illustrates it. Basically, you are adjacent to either tile and the opposing tile from where you stand. Range and Movement costs are calculated by counting the number of existing tiles to a target.

The game is preprinted with characters from DOS2, has status effects and positions on your sheets to count cool downs or status effects.

I’m just looking at this and reminded of Shane Hensley’s preference for tokens and coins and other board game-like tools at the table to facilitate play and just think Laranian just raised the bar considerably.

I feel like it’s good, because my first thoughts are how to hack it.

Has anyone seen this? What are your thoughts? 220US is steep but I kind of want to break a piggy bank for this.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Damn, every big game is making a board game version.

It looks like the game isn't actually finished... there most recent update apparently includes an overhaul to leveling and a redesign of the Warfare school. The fact that they are a year in and haven't locked down the rules sketches me out.

I watched a playthrough with some of the developers. Combat doesn't seem that interesting to me. Instead of using some kind of battlemat, everything is done with zones / tiles. So you can throw your knives from the market into the tavern. It doesn't seem like it has $120 worth of crunchy, tactical gameplay.

IMO this project does not look like it will turn out well. If you're looking for cool tactics, I think a game like Frosthaven would be better. Might even come out sooner.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

I almost got to test this game at PAX, but the fuckheads running the table said they couldn't reserve times they had open then reserved all the times anyways when I followed their instructions and showed up the moment it opened. This says nothing about the game, but I'm still a little salty about it. I did see the boards and stuff though, and it's $120!? That's fucking insane for the sets I saw being played.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.