Painting Small and Expensive Plastic People

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

And now for a stupid story that wanders off track.

How I started painting some models, took some pictures and got distracted
I though, hey. I might get back to finishing painting my Infinity model collection. I only have like, 40 models or something to go. At my old rate I could knock that off in like... 3 weeks?

Anyway. Why not take a picture or two and talk about them.

So here is me putting a base coat on some out of print biker miniatures.

Several things.

1) Yes that's just a wash. Yes the paint sticks fine. Yes everyone has been fucking lying to you for years about base coats. Yes especially about infinity minis. Yes actually the water and thinner I use would probably be enough on its own. I use a bit of something dark as much to highlight details so I can see what I am painting and to fill those deeper gaps the final coat often misses in my paint jobs.

2) These bikers are out of print. I went out of my way to get them. Because they were surprisingly cheap (they are unpopular? Really?) and because the new ones are over beefed bikies on even more wildly impractical low slung over sized easy riders. Also maybe they went out of print because this asshole drew too much attention within the community. They may still be talking about it right now.

3) They are called Kum riders. Yep. Thanks Spain.

4) Yes that guy at the back isn't based because like every time anyone ever touches infinity models something broke off. It was his arm and now he is in glue time out.

Then I decided you wouldn't believe me about needing the wash to see the details. I mean those are 1st gen models from like 10+ years ago and far away. So here is a relatively new model from their range. Who also brings up...

5) You'll never guess how I've been painting the steely metallic bits on these guys lately. I might add a light dry brush highlight to those hexagons. Otherwise. Done. What's was wrong with us all those years, why were we painting metal with metal paint.

And then I had to wait for paint to dry. And I thought. Hey you know it might be worth mentioning my goals with these paint jobs.

I've always wanted models that look good at tables. I can't paint excessively fine detail all that well, and frankly I won't appreciate it if I do because I don't sit there looking at my minis 3 inches from my nose. And a good table paint... isn't always the same as a "display" paint and definitely isn't the same as a paint job intended for a high res digital photo (not that I can manage to even get my depth of field and lighting right on these for some reason...).

And then suddenly I instead went off and decided to create a brief pictorial history of my miniatures collection.

For an interval here is a frog staring intently at a modified carnivorous leaf that it lives on. For no god damn reason it has no issues with lighting, focus or basic composition.

And then instead a brief history of my miniatures collection

1990ish? The Ral Partha Era
I first started collecting and painting miniatures a very long time ago. I'm going to guess maybe the early 1990s, but possibly as early as the late 1980s. I was probably 12, but I might have been younger.

I started with Ral Partha miniatures of fantasy adventurers for D&D games.

You would obtain these buy getting the fine print text only Military Simulations catalog from Victoria Melbourne, (Just one state, several days, and 1005km away). Divining which words might represent interesting miniatures. Sending them a list of stock numbers and some money, which somehow always involved a phone call. Then receiving the wrong miniatures in the post a month later.

Here are a selection of surviving miniatures from that period painted by myself and my sister.

There is a badly painted space marine in the background for scale.

The plastic dinosaurs on each side were the primary stand ins for every entry in the monstrous manual and the occasional terrified shop keeper.

1995ish? Warhammer Fantasy the shitest ever edition
After a few years, at some point in high school friends of mine started collecting Warhammer Fantasy. An expensive and wildly unrewarding hobby for tweens with no money and no transport with the nearest game shop over an hour away with no relevant stock.

I collected Undead because they seemed like useful universal monsters to beef up the ranks of those two plastic dinosaurs, and because raising skeletons on the battlefield seemed cool.

In the era of "winds of magic", crazy high elf supremacy and a local GW culture that felt rules were largely not cool. They performed terribly.

But the skeletons of that era were awesome crazy little stick figure men.

Here are some of them. Yes, banner bearers came without banners back then, you could like buy them via some elaborate magazine/rule book vandalizing method, but that is my original hand made piece of hessian from when I was what, at best 14. The musician and the banner guy have been repainted but the regular skelletons are mostly original appart from constantly being reassembled right down to the horrific green bases I used to make.

These are some other models from that era. The vampire lord is a little repainted, but mostly just because no amount of layering or lacquer in the world will save that god damn cape (look its chipped AGAIN). And yes the vampire lord is a stupid model (possibly Vlad Von Karstien or something? Who cares). But I love his fashion sense and general confidence and continued useing him hears later.

I sold my original Nagash years ago to someone who was very excited about it about five minutes before the first resculpt in decades came out and was much better. Good riddance to him he was ugly as hell and no amount of glue, blue tack or hammering would keep his several deformed bricks of metal assembled.

Since allied unit rules were fast and lose in the era here are some painted plastic chaos warriors from the era. Yes they ALL looked like that back then. Yes I was over fond of metallic paints. No, getting a less blurry shot won't make any difference. No they didn't help much against the high elves pressing their I win the magic round buttons and what not.

GW and it's local community was a hellhole at the time. (I mean it's not like it wasn't full of suspected and known sex criminals a decade or so later, but I was more confident in dealing with dangerous assholes by then).

Anyway. About a year or two after that a pair of brothers who were and still are close personal friends of mine got into GW games as well. They also got into space marines and eldar.

Not that I didn't also have space marines. Everyone who bought paint sets back then had really bad free plastic space marines. I also have a set of that one awesome space marine board game from the era, no not the famous one the fucking much better one GW burried and won't acknowledge anymore.

Anyway. Point is, those guys collected goblins, high elves, a few skaven, eldar and space wolfs. Then years later they would give me a bunch of those. Then later on I gave back some of the eldar and several hundred Tyranids as interest.

2003ish? An actual local war gaming community
So years later I got back into the gameing community... probably in the early 2000s and my mid to late 20s?.

Now there was a slightly local game store, an independent one with a broader range of brands, products, and games at tables.

I played and collected a bunch of stuff.

I think I first got into Warmachine, either that or I was just playing RPGs and board games. So things might be slightly out of order here.

Anyway. I collected a bunch of the blue guys. But I really liked blue metallic. At least the bases were good. I got good local creek sand and realised it didn't need painting.

Then I got a bunch of the green guys. Then a bunch of other guys, alternatively not pictured or to this day in an unpainted box.

Anyway. Then that guy gave me a bunch of Eldar. And hey. Eldar were pretty cool for the rules era. I never lost a game with them and was the only guy in the community fielding fully painted armies. Hell I was the only guy with even one fully painted vehicle.

But then vehicles were pretty damn shit in that era, I only used mine to drive up to stuff, unload maximum fire warriors and melted everything with them while its tank weapons pew pewed like the useless pea shooters that they were.

Anyway, so I inherited paint jobs/colour motifs. Some of my favourite ones went back to the other owner. But I still have fire warriors that I painted based on his colour scheme and this named elderly guy that I only finished up and then restored several times after rough use.

And here are three different generations of Wraithlord Model that my unusual collection sources ended up landing me with.

Around about then I got back into warhammer fantasy with Vampire Counts.

I did so basically on the back of bad old minis, one box of new plastic skeletons, and since it was an indi store and community cool with cross brand substitutions a bunch of Reaper Fantasy miniatures as necromancers and vampires. Which I could just use for D&D and stuff too.

I also got some (Reaper) ghouls and wraiths. Here is me trying again to get a picture of this god damn ghoul because I am overly proud of his shiny slimy well toned monster skin and damnit maybe next time.

I had a lot of fun with those and pretty much never lost a warhammer fantasy game because no one else understood the morale rules and necromancers/vampires with like a handful of ghouls and some solid skeleton units could break basically any army and even fair surprisingly well against the fearless.

Other players eventually noticed ghouls were good when they suddenly "became" good in the next edition with literally not one digit of profile change.

Anyway I had a problem. I was winning to much like, 100% too much. Even I didn't want to play me.

So I did the smart thing and invested in Tyranids, painted up a few hundred to look like Alien and I don't think I ever won a game with them.

Now lets not say my victory streak was anything impressive. To give you an idea of the local competition, they did not notice that I was making a single decision (Eldar or Tyranids) and basically deciding to win or lose the 40k game there each time.

Smarter gamers played war machine and stuff, and I had a much more reasonable loss rate there.

Then along came the Spanish wave of miniature games.

Infinity (experimental Beta translation) turned up and the minis were cheap as chips. I bought the entire Haq Islam range at the time and fielded 3 out 6 of them on the table top painted within pretty much a day.

Back then it was like 3 badly modeled infantry dudes, 2 of those bikers including the one with the ass. And some impossible to assemble robot drones, here is one without paint just for reference.

Then I got annoyed with the final rules releases reaction rules and traded the lot for... I don't know something or other.

But importantly I really liked the paint job on I did on the Infinity models. Though not as good as the new ones they were still fun to paint and I went with a non-glossy ceramic looking colour scheme and an attempt at comic/anime looking flat areas and contrasting lines that really looked great at a distance.

OK. So then the game store and community dispersed. As did the next nearest one. And then the next nearest one. And then the next nearest one. And the guys an hour down the coast at Gosford were like a weird anti-social cult that refused to know or use the rules of any given wargame.

Years later I would give up on making the rest of this post in one go and talk about my newer collection of Infinity models later on...

I would even not bother checking if the links go to the right pictures.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, I have one of those old vampires, or rather did, before converting it not very well. Undead (back when they were Undead, all in one list) were my first WHFB army.

Almost zero of the models that were around when I first started collecting are still here (after they got rid of the sisters), I still like the old stuff.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

40 models in three weeks?! I can paint like, 4 dudes in that time. Shit, man.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:40 models in three weeks?! I can paint like, 4 dudes in that time. Shit, man.
Painting a squad with similar color scheme tends to go almost as fast as painting a single mini. While there's more area, you can paint a base coat one right after the other. By the time the last one is done, the first is dry, and you can paint all the large areas (like pauldrons). When you've done the basic colors on the armor, you can detail by color (like all the skulls, then all the bolters). So painting a squad probably takes about 1.5x as long as painting a single solo figure start to finish.
-This space intentionally left blank
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

And if they are just ordinary squad members in a bunch, likely less effort to do them as well as individuals, though that could just be me.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

When I work by color usually the first guy's dried by the time I've done that color on the third one, so I dunno if I'd say a squad of larger than 3 is that fast. Maybe deaddm paints faster but swaps colors more slowly than me.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Last time I was painting I was averaging about three guys a day.

But again, my focus has always been getting painted models to tables and I'll take all sorts of short cuts to do that. Painting a group with the same colour scheme one colour at a time while they dry is one of them, and one I would recommend as it also cuts down on waiting through annoying down time.

Speaking of shortcuts...

That Bad Yellow Space Marine
So about that bad yellow space marine used repeatedly for reference.

Well. One day I realised, between some hand me downs, extras from trades, freebies from paint sets and god knows what, I was like one single command squad away from what was at the time a viable sized list of space marines for 40k games before every gaming community in the region collapsed.

And I took the worst and cheapest set of minis from that pile and said "Just how quick and how dirty can I do this. And also can I make them yellow?".

I also went pretty hard on contrasting outlines. I tried a bunch of experimental painting, based in various colours to see which ones worked best for yellow, hand painted some crude marine symbols on shoulders. etc... It wasn't the worst once you look at them from a distance... but... this was work well below my standard at the time... still, you do things like this and it helps you learn techniques.

What it didn't do was ever field a space marine army.

An interval
So anyway after the collapse of the wargaming community I was like. Well. Maybe some RPG figures then. And discovered that Reaper at the time had some really low online prices so I bought enough miniatures from them that I'm not running out of unpainted fantasy miniatures... well... any time soon.

Here are some more of them. But some are technically Not Safe For Work this time because there is a naked demon lady. And yes that's a monkey on that other ones back.

Anyway. Spanish invasion wave two is also floating around about thenish and I try out Anima the miniatures game... it's interesting but doesn't stick but I have some minis and they are... delicate? And yes the card game is mediocre, the RPG is horrific, but the mini game was ok sort of. And yes, they made a fantasy setting inspired losely by anime, then called it animA. Yep. Thanks Spain.

And Now Infinity Again
Years later.

Through all of this Eldar and Tryanids have been travelling back and forth to France.

So my friend who originally gave me the eldar, who lives in France now, decides he owes me something for the extra eldar and tyranids, and preorders the new starter for the newest edition of Infinity for me.

I have things to say about Infinity. I might say some here, but maybe I'll finally do a review later on.

Anyway, the miniatures were great. I bought a bunch of aquarium decorations for terrain and played it with like one guy at home every fortnight or so for a while. The wargaming community does exist, I think, in some form once again, but I don't really want to know them anymore and I suspect they aren't playing that much infinity anyway.

I hadn't painted anything for a while at the time. So I picked a bad colour scheme for the blue guys and didn't do that great.

My later work with them was a little bit better. But apparently impossible to get in perfect focus.

And a few together can work.

And whoops I submitted instead of previewed. Well. Guess this is a three parter...
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

So the starter came with two factions.

Basically almost the two factions in the game I wouldn't actually pick.

So for instance. This game is Spanish. And the Spanish... welll...

So the Blue Faction is like "Oceania" or rather a wierd semi-colonial alliance of like the USA and India and I don't know if they forgot Australia it never seems to get mentioned. They're self appointed space police and they like lots of armour and robots and...

OK plenty of flavor I guess. Oh and they are also full of fanatical Catholic crusader knights... for some reason...

The Other Faction
So fine. I wouldn't have picked those neo-colonial jerks anyway. I can be all about the Red dudes.

And certainly I like how the color scheme turned out more.

They look pretty cool and have their own armours and robots.

They are rebel high tech space nomads full of mutants and punks...

... and also catholic sadomasochistic penitents (guy in the middle) and catholic space nuns in swimsuits...

Thanks again Spain. All my guys are strange fanatical space Catholics now. Except the Sikhs. Thanks for also going out of the way to explicitly give me space paratrooper Sikhs in between all the weird space Catholics.

Now I do get the occasional space catholic deliberately. Some of them are cool or do important things mechanically. But also, the way the miniatures are sold... you often end up with space Catholics mixed in with your regular space guys. So I have a bunch of space Catholics now.

The Other Other Two Factions
Eventually, and with the help of uncovering a crazy clearance sale. I get started on two other factions I would actually like to have.

And of course one of them is space Islam... dammit Spain...

Anyway. space Islam is the faction I'd gotten into the game with years ago. It's models are (except the bikers) better now. And I really liked that color scheme and made something similar that I still really like.

Space Islam are the dune spice merchants and bio tech guys and explicitly have shit robots. But game mechanically its fine.

It's impossible to pronounce half their unit names. This mutant guy is a Djanbazan and that's one of the easy ones.

Anyway. And then I got the Asians.

Yes. The Asians. (Yep, it's Spain again).

So. China took over the world. Or rather. Korea, Thialand, Japan, a bunch of places.

And man. The writers are so racist about China and Japan. And yes of COURSE the unit names are full of those letters with the little bits over the top and who knows what they are meant to sound like.

The newer models for them are pretty cool.

So anyway. I get a bit involved in the online community. Not much, it's a fan boy hellscape of the usual sort.

And I increasingly come across the two things that are my bane for this game, well other than it's excessive and often crippling complexity.

Fire Teams I think they were called? So the game uses an Orders mechanic to limit actions. It HAS a combined orders mechanic that lets guys do things at the same time. But then they bring in ANOTHER and DIFFERENT combined orders mechanic that lets SPECIFIC guys do things DIFFERENTLY at the same time and it's... maybe over powered... but mostly just fucking over complex and totally redundant.

It just spends it's time giving me a low background level of being annoyed with the game and preventing me from seeking out the in person community in the wild because it's apparently full of people masterbating over this one mess of mechanic I dislike.

Infinity jumps the tortured baby elephant
But then.

So. Asia Faction. Getting some new Japan models. A Japan subfaction pseudo starter set. Japan subfaction needed more and better models, it was a bit sparse. The publisher really pushes pre-orders, and you get exclusive free additional models for it. Which, well, that's actually not that bad as far as pre-order bullshit goes.

So then the Japan set arrives. Of course you buy it at least a little in advance. And the online community kinda rightful explodes because the RULES that turn up around the same time and the FLUFF (yes the fluff). Both of which are carefully held back until after the set is purchased, shipped and even arrived...

So fluff wise Japan has wanted to rebel from Asia faction since forever. But screw it, the publishers screwed it on having an actual separate Japan faction in their Anime Space Game at launch and here they are a decade in going "hey maybe now when people are only just now also really into Korea and China too... this is clearly the moment to "fix" that..."

And they split the god damn faction. So a faction I had been collecting, that had some sub factions but I could field pretty much all of together with some variety and choice... now I lost all that and instead had two factions I could barely field viable lists at all with and had almost no variety with.

I mean on the OTHER hand there are now all these odd hybrid sub factions and mercenary factions and with the models I have I can probably put together strange hybrid subfaction lists that are game legal for like 4 or more of them but... why? And also, it's a bit too much accounting to mess with for almost no reward.

And the fluff was that everyone on both sides were horrible genocidal maniacs. And really dumb. And the neo-colonial space catholic crusaders also kicked their dumb asses just to improve the whole situation.

The community reaction was, yeah, on par with the whole warmachine agonizer thing.

And like with the agonizer thing. I didn't personally make a decision at the time. But I just kinda haven't really played or bought miniatures since.

Oh and I checked. And like I suspected. The new Japan "faction" which from the start was actually a stupid "mercenary not real faction faction" has recieved... minimal content and support. So the few guys who were actually positive about the split, HAH suckers!

Oh and now a mention about some of the issues with Infinity as a publisher.

1) They are Spanish. All Spaniards are racists. Everyone knows it. Infinity likes to go out of it's way to prove it occasionally.

2) There are models you won't get unless you preorder stuff. Fortunately only some of them are cool.

3) There are models that theoretically exist that may never ever be printed. You might spend years waiting for that one Djanbazan weapon profile to get a physical representation.

4) There have been multiple generations of some things already. They ARE improving in detail and quality. But... they've made some changes in their decisions about scale a few times... and mostly you won't notice... but then occassionally... just look Shorty and the Giantess here are the same unit type ok.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

It's a shame to triple post. But it feels like this one might be best posted before it expires.

Not A Bike Race
Remember those mono-bikes I based last night? I spent some time painting on skin and hair and what not this morning.

Then I spent some time in the middle of the day putting on several browns..

(And gluing the girl biker back on her base twice, see peg in picture, note her reduced hard braking angle)

Then I spent some time in the afternoon putting on the off white plating.

Then I declared them finished. Now. They could use some touch ups, look at that one guy, his hub cap is wobbly. But I'll do that some other time, minis suffer wear and tear and need restoring anyway, and I'll often give them a going over if I put them on a list with plans to put them on a table anyway.

I'd like to stress. This didn't take all day. Each of 3ish (sometimes interrupted) sittings was give or take an hour at most. I did other things today. I potted a very rare plant on request, ran a retail store, sold out of gigantic plastic bowls, fished water lilies out of ponds, had lunch with my cousin, and all the other usual things that randomly happen in my day. Painting models is a hobby you can fit in, and it's not overwhelming amounts of labor.

It also didn't take much in the way of materials. I have extra stuff I even used some of it just for luxury, but this was basically just achieved with one cheap brush, water, and paints. No airbrushes, special clamps, multiple high quality brushes, etc...

And I know, you could get better results, hell, I could get (slightly) better results. But value for time and the enjoyment I get out of both painting them, and later using them as painted miniatures on a table feels like it's in a good place. Which is where you should be aiming with this sort of hobby.

So, time aside, my comments are... um... I do the faces first because they're fiddling and can ruin everything around them.

I used to make a thing of mixing my own unique skin colours, but on armies too much variation looks weird so now I only make rare exceptions and paint everyone else far too pale straight out of the default far too pale bottle.

Hair colours on units also annoy me these days. Because you DO want variation, but not MUCH variation, things can look silly either way very fast. It's especially annoying on the units with multiple browns in their colour schemes because it's never good when your hair exactly matches your pants.

I do large plates and areas last (depending on other factors) because they can tend to wear off handling the mini during the rest of the paint job while the paint is still freshish and weak.

Yes I am with some minor exceptions painting one layer on top of a wash, sometimes its a thick(ish) layer but seriously, why not do this. The only reasonable exception for doing that off the top of my head is dry brushing and highlights.

I don't use plain white for the plates, I mix in a fraction of cork brown and some matte finish to stop it being too bright and glossy.

The red front facing markers came out real mediocre this time. In part I was just being too lazy. In part it's because I didn't wait until last and handled them too much. In part it's because the red paint had not been opened or shaken in like a year. But also in part it's because these are not the bases these came with (and edition changed changed the official base size of these models so they had to be substituted with new ones) but the new ones are slightly shoddy and have this sort of paint channeling lip on the bottom edge...

Looking closely at these sculpts I think I previously misidentified which one of these guys was the unique named character model... it doesn't matter...
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Really cool to see all your models, the progression from those classic ones all the way up to modern infinity. Also, honestly, those yellow marines aren't bad compared to some of seen from the era, and yellow is an awful color to work with anyway.

On my end I havent painted much, but I'm working on finishing that one Tau.
Waiting for the Elmer's glue to dry for the sand so I can drybrush the whole of the base with some white. I might also try some edge highlighting after too, but I'm not sure yet.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Finished up that tau, mostly just basing. I think I'll actually try a v2 of this scheme soon though.
In other news, I really want these Doom minis now. https://gear.bethesda.net/products/doom ... es-figures
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I'd been kind of in a rut, but I finally painted something again. Not super happy with it, but the result is at least fun.

You see, I found out about Tehnolog, or more accurately ????????. A Russian company that seems to have been around since the early 1990s (or possibly late 80s?) and in the early days was making straight counterfeits and bootlegs of warhammer models. Later the company came into their own, started making their own wargames and models. They're out of business now, seemingly, but their more recent models are still dirt cheap on ebay (and cheaply made, being almost closer to toy kits), and are still heavily 40k inspired.

So, I present to you a Blood Angle Terminator.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I could see that as a Scout or maybe a normal Marine (though it doesn't seem particularly 40k, you could tell me it's from some other sci-fi franchise and I'd believe you), not at all seeing a Terminator there.
Sigil
Knight

Re: Painting Small and Expensive Plastic People

Post by Sigil »

Well, he's definitely terminator sized is the thing, here he is with the marine I finished right after the forum went down:

As you can see, he stands terminator height, and he's on a 40mm base. You're right though that, aesthetically, he's not purely 40k.

Here's the new marine I did, I'm quite proud of him. I took my time on and learned a lot in the process.

And finally I did something a bit more, uh fun. Behold my latest heresy:

A 3d printed My Little Marine. Tried not to spend a ton of time on it, and it was fun painting something in bright colors. Might honestly paint some slaaneshi marines in similar colors at some point since the colors turned out so fun.

Currently I'm working on an Iron Warrior and another pony for a friend.

Edit: Might as well include the WIP Iron Warrior
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, that's one of those HH bodies (Mk3 armour), right? Don't recognise the bolter, though.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Yeah, its the MKIII armor. The Bolter is the standard one from the tactical squad box, a godwyn pattern bolter I think, but I messed up the barrel on it and in an effort to save the model without doing a lot of work, my solution was to put two new barrels on it and make it a sort of Bolter+Bolter combi weapon. Not quite a twin-linked or storm bolter, but it's got a fun look to it that I think will help in the end conveying that this is a chaos marine even though I'm using mostly loyalist parts to make him.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ah, ok. As for it being a chaos marine, wasn't that armour originally released for that game where both loyalists and traitors had the same power armour? GW was nice enough to have a game where the models are cheaper that buying them individually (and there's a game) and I didn't buy it :(

Got 2 of the other one they did though.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Yeah, they were originally Forgeworld HH models, but GW sells them as a general purpose plastic kit now. A lot of people like to use the MK III kits for Iron Warriors and chaos them up a bit since the older patterns sort of fit the IW vibe.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Well, I've finished the first step on that Iron Warrior I posted before:

Though I would not at all be ashamed to put him on a base and call it done, I'm going to try something new and try weathering him with an oil wash, this image was what inspired me to try it out.

Figured there should be a record in case I absolutely ruin him.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

What was the process on that? You coloured over top and removed some of the layer?

I'm used to trying to get that final effect by dry-brushing on top of a darker layer like in your second picture.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Yeah that's exactly it. You do base colors in acrylic and let them cure (at least 24 hours). Then you mix up a wash out of oil paint and white/mineral spirit. You apply the oil washes liberally and allow them to dry, and then come back in with q-tips/napkins/brushes/whatever with a small amount of white spirit on them and wipe away the excess, leaving material selectively. It's been used in the example for both weathering and low-lighting, but you can easily use it to do other forms of color addition and blending. You can do it in multiple passes, and the oil paint stays active for several hours so you have plenty of time to get it to your liking.

I tried it out for the first time myself today!

I didn't try anything very complex since I was just familiarizing myself with the technique, but I'm happy with how it turned out and with how simple the technique turned out to be.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Very much a work in progress, but I'm having a lot of fun painting a garish rogue trader style color scheme on this renegade marine.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I think he's essentially finished. Still needs a backpack and basing, but I'm quite happy with him.

Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Backpack went faster than I expected:
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I just cannot stop painting little dudes without their backpacks.