Knight

Re: Painting Small and Expensive Plastic People

Post by Sigil »

Finally got around to making this guy I painted a while ago a base:
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, not old school as such (being a mere 23 yeas old), but GW's latest made to order thing seems to be the models that came with the 3rd ed 40k boxed set, minus the sprue for the flamer, missile launcher and sergeant.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Honestly it seems kind of weird to have like, a less complete nostalgia box. Seems like they'd have had a slam dunk if they just went and included the other models and terrain.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh yeah, they had terrain in there as well, forgot about that.

Possibly they don't have the molds for those anymore, been discontinued for ages after all. When they had the old metal IG, and made to order Valhallans, they didn't have lascannon but had more or less everything else, I suspect the lascannon molds aren't around.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

They did lose a lot of molds to neglect and mismanagement, so it wouldn't be surprising. People do seem pretty keen on the set, so I guess it kind of is a slam dunk after all anyway. I'd never seen those specific dark eldar models so I picked some up... on ebay, for like 15 bucks for 10 lol.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

They also seemed to have sold a bunch of old molds off. Old school skaven models are being made and sold under the name "Ver-Men" by some other company in the UK. Not knock offs or imitations, seemingly the original models being legally made by someone other than GW.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

There are some cases in the early days of Citadel/Games Workshop where the rights to various miniatures were retained by their sculptors or by companies that were working in association with, but the ver'men appear to be a dedicated line of skaven knockoffs (now also OOP) by Harlequin.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, googling it looks like you're right and I was completely wrong. Could have sworn that someone (not Harlequin) was making really old skaven models under that name some months back.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I mean, to be fair, even those ones just look a lot like skaven. It's not like skaven are a hard style to copy, model wise they're kind of basic and havent been updated in eons, they all still have a 90s hand sculpted look, anyone could ape it.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Decided to do something silly for fun, the first truly tactical set of "Tactical Dreadnought Armor"
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That's incredible.

So last year, I painted all of the following: 16 dark eldar (5 winged fuckheads that are a fucking pain to assemble, 10 wyches, 1 succubus)

Here are the flying assholes
20220101_193817.jpg
20220101_193817.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
20220101_193715.jpg
20220101_193715.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
20220101_193652.jpg
20220101_193652.jpg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And here we have the succubus:
20220101_193838.jpg
20220101_193838.jpg (42.21 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
20220101_193825.jpg
20220101_193825.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, looking at these photos, I've realised I need to clean some hair off them. Anyway, here are the wyches. Part 1...
20220101_194314.jpg
20220101_194314.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
20220101_194306.jpg
20220101_194306.jpg (88.28 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
20220101_194254.jpg
20220101_194254.jpg (68.47 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And part 2.
20220101_194327.jpg
20220101_194327.jpg (53.87 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
20220101_194334.jpg
20220101_194334.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
Yeah, that's it, an entire year. For what it's worth, I have assembled and undercoated (yes, zenithal style) a new plastic Canoness, some Deathwatch marines and some genestealer hybrids. And did some base layers on the hybrids. So I hope to do more this year.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

That's more than I painted in 2021, they look great. Love the scheme, and I especially like the winged assholes.
I actually ended up getting an air purifier for the room I paint in because of cat and dog hair.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh yeah, GW loves making models that don't want to be assembled. Modern flying things especially, in the old days you'd have a normal model, maybe in a more dynamic pose, and wings or a jump-pack, and that worked fine (and stacked up in ranks in WHFB, I guess). Nowdays it's all ballerina poses with as little contact with the base as possible.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, the wings are actually individual pieces you glue on. I don't mean "this pair of wings is glued onto the back", that's normal, but two separate wings, each with a 1x4mm area of contact.

I'm going to add some neon grass tufts to the bases, because I have them and it needs to happen. It clearly matches the colour scheme. Also the green paint isn't glow-in-the-dark, but when you hold them in a normally-lit room, against darker minis and stuff, they kind of look like they are glow-in-the-dark. It's really good. For my paints, I largely use a mix of Warcolours, Vallejo and Green Stuff World, but I also have a few GW things still, and recently purchased some Turbo Dork colourshift paints. If I end up being the kind of person who does a lot of painting, I'll start looking into pigments and airbrushing and all that, but that's for when I'm actually using what I already have. I'm sure you all know the trap.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I gotta say, I think GW has always made minis that just don't want to be assembled. The older metal marines, especially the '88 renegades I've been painting, just straight up can't accept their backpacks without clipping and sanding on something. The little smokestack backpack I print has absolutely minimal contact area needed because I designed it for rogue trader models and it still doesn't work on some of them.

Most of my paints are Vallejo and citadel, but i have a few scale 75. Honestly each brand seems to have at least a few stand out paints, and I've been slowly building a palette of favorites. I've got an air brush that I should use more often, but to be honest I'm still learning how to paint with a brush and I'm kind of trying to push myself as far as I can there.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Okay, I enjoyed doing the first one so much I made him a friend

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I like the Tactical Dreadnoughts. Did you 3D print them at 50% size? Is that something that 3D printers can do?
-This space intentionally left blank
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Yeah absolutely, you can take models and cut them up or shrink them and change things before printing, it doesn't take a lot of experience to do a digital kitbash like this, it was one of the first things I did, the 3d printing community calls it 'remixing' generally. I took the top of a dreadnought I liked that still had its parts as separate bodies, imported a set of marine legs to have a something to scale it to, and removed some details that just werent going to print at the reduced scale, I think they're roughly 60% scaled down.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

deaddmwalking wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:10 pm
I like the Tactical Dreadnoughts. Did you 3D print them at 50% size? Is that something that 3D printers can do?
So the way a 3D resin printer works is, there's an LCD tablet screen (mine uses an off the shelf screen, newer ones have monochrome screens instead of RGB) with an ultraviolet backlight. On top of that is a vat of deadly poison. The printer head goes down, the screen displays an image of a cross section of the desired model, the UV light turns the deadly poison into a layer of the miniature, the printer head goes up and down again, and repeat. Basically like that scene in lord of the rings when the uruk-hai are being made with a couple extra steps.

So any software procedure that produces a valid sequence of cross sections of a model will work.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The Tactical Dreadnoughts look great, I love the idea. Great work on the freehand details too.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Foxwarrior wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:29 am
On top of that is a vat of deadly poison.
I read the remainder of this post in the voice of GLaDOS.

I keep considering getting into 3D printing, but I'm too much of a trial and error programmer. I'd go through a hundred bucks worth of material to print a friggin d6.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I definitely wouldn't consider 3d printing to be a money saver unless you really plan on going into it hard, I don't think I've 'recouped the cost' of my machines and materials and it's not even close. That said I do really enjoy it, it offers me a lot of freedom in the miniature painting hobby, and its fun in it's own right. When I started I definitely had to learn and had a good deal of failures, but at this point I don't run into that much anymore, and its more about squeezing out quality from my machine.
Koumei wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:57 am
The Tactical Dreadnoughts look great, I love the idea. Great work on the freehand details too.
I've got their sarge printed and partially painted, he's a little tiny Mark IV, gonna try to finish him this weekend.