Painting Small and Expensive Plastic People

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Sigil
Knight

Re: Painting Small and Expensive Plastic People

Post by Sigil »

Yep, sculpted in 1986 and still being made and sold! It's frankly amazingly detailed considering how old the sculpt is, it's leagues better looking than even a lot of modern minis.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

It being the 80s, I'm not sure that the pose wasn't intentional :D

Great paint job btw - I'm enjoying living vicariously through seeing what you've painted / diarama'd
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Well, he's supposed to be holding either a club or sword, which he does come packed with, but the rude gesture is a lot funnier so I left it out.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

"I got your sword right here, buddy!"
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Another finished one. Scout Sergeant from the Advanced Space Crusade game.

Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Painted a couple '86 Ral Partha skeletons to go with the big guy.
Can't embed videos but I did a little turntable vid of them in addition to the photos: Video

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Nice, I like the rust and tarnishing of the metal.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kevin Mack
1st Level

Post by Kevin Mack »

Wow those look better really good (and honestly the sculpts themselves look better/more detailed than most modern skeleton models of that scale I can think of.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, looks good, and dunno about others, but I'm getting a Harryhausen vibe off those, though I think he never did ones with that sort of armour.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Koumei wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:18 am
Nice, I like the rust and tarnishing of the metal.
Thanks, the rust and tarnishing is actually really fun and easy to do as long as you have the right paints, it's part of why I'm enjoying these skeletons so much. The effort to result ratio on these guys is honestly really good.
Kevin Mack wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:53 am
Wow those look better really good (and honestly the sculpts themselves look better/more detailed than most modern skeleton models of that scale I can think of.
I actually looked at a bunch of different skeleton lines thinking that surely someone at some point had made some nice detailed skeletons with good armor, but the options are honestly pretty slim. Skeleton minis seem to pretty frequently be more of a 'cheap bulk' mini than anything else.
Thaluikhain wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:58 am
Yeah, looks good, and dunno about others, but I'm getting a Harryhausen vibe off those, though I think he never did ones with that sort of armour.
I hadn't thought of it, but yeah kind of! I really like the armor on these guys though. The plate over scales is a fun look, and doing the tattered cloth in red gives them a vaguely (if innacurate) roman look.

I actually went back and repainted the shield on one of them last night after realizing there wasn't any law that says I can't put hazard stripes on a skeleton (though I've been informed that this pattern is actually called a Bendy Sinister in heraldry :rofl:):
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I've gotta say the new Beakies look pretty great, it's tempting to pick some up despite having plenty of other stuff to paint already."

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, same, already got a bunch of other Horus Heresy era stuff to put together, but they do look nice.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I imagine I'll buy a box of them once they come out on their own just to have for kitbashing.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Want to see what else comes out before kitbashing, have some of the other HH era marines and stuck sanguinary guard jumppacks on cause they look old, but they might make assault troops like those anyway.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I've painted very little since I last posted, exactly two guys.

A chaos mutant

And a yellow guy

I'm more happy with how the base turned out than the guy.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Not quite my normal quality, but I was painting on a time constraint. Did another Elric, this time from Satyr Art Studios.

Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

I actually kept thinking about that song and another one as I was painting lol. There's a surprising number of Elric songs
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Went back over to his house the other day, so I brought some sand and gave it a proper classic base:

Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Picked up a cheap wizkids mini recently and decided to try painting using object source lighting for the first time.

Not bad for $8, y'all will probably recognize him from the classic hit "The Players Handbook"

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I was about to ask if that was the thing from the cover of the handbook before I got to the end of your post.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Yeah. I'd never really looked too hard at the D&D minis in the last decade or so, but honestly they're not bad for how they're priced. I also grabbed an umber hulk for $8.75 and a pair of mind flayers for $4.75. The primer they come pre-sprayed with is shit though, so I had to clean them off before re-priming them.

I've actually painted a couple other things before him that I never posted. A set of Kill Team barricades that I painted as a gift, and a grot :viking: