Election 2020

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm really curious what part of that you imagine to be the fault of the Democrats.
I mean the complete shit anti response of places like NY where no one did anything for a long time and then when DeBlasio way too late tried anything at all Cuomo overrode him and said the state would keep doing nothing, and then Cuomo leveraged his power to cut funds to hospitals during a pandemic was all pretty bad and the fault of at least some Democrats.

We are in stage 8 of our 3rd reopening attempt because Democrats can't actually use state governments to do anything either.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I have a hard time believing that Australian PM Scott Morrison is anywhere near as bad as Trump. That is not to say I don't think he's terrible, though.

OTOH, the last 4 Australian PMs were ousted by their own party, which is not an option in the US, which does limit things a bit.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Thaluikhain wrote:I have a hard time believing that Australian PM Scott Morrison is anywhere near as bad as Trump.
He literally did a whole bunch of things to mimick, or sometimes follow the instructions of Trump. This brings a lot of the Trump bad in by very direct means.

And when he doesn't do that he is a true believing mega church evangelist whose entire professional backround is working as a failed advertising executive who routinely managed to actually REDUCE international interest in tourism in Australia and New Zealand, where he was repeatedly discovered to be redirecting government funds into trying to get his immediate superiors fired instead of doing his job. Until he got fired and was contractually obliged by special legal agreement and massive pay out to NEVER SPEAK OF WHY. By a party he was part of that NEVER fires it's own, not even for openly discovered corruption.

As a politician he started out by stealing his seat after several failed preselections by arranging for do-overs until he won, which he barely managed to do after he arranged for mates to smear his opponent in the press with allegations so serious that the news paper involved was successfully sued in court over it, something that relatively rarely happens with press smears here if you want an idea how bad it was.

He then built up his career by spending years being the face of... you guessed it, our pioneering work in the field of children in cages in tropical gulags.

As prime minister his one signature move as a politician is to announce big money number relief schemes for the latest disaster he as helped cause and then never actually deliver the money/relief scheme.

Just one of those relief schemes fell short of promised funding by a mere 60 Billion Australian dollars. It was apparently, just an accidental miscalculation. While the biggest short fall at least THAT relief scheme delivered SOME money, many deliver NO MONEY AT ALL, or just pay for one random unrelated thing like the refitting of a bowling club that one of the ministers likes/owns.

Meanwhile, on Trumps/the USAs instructions he is being super aggressive to China. Our single biggest trade partner. During a global economic disaster. And China is cutting our trade. And giving some of it... to the USA instead... and Morison keeps doing it like a chump.

And as for culture war/character issues. Morrison is basically a deeply obvious copy cat of a Trump/Boris hybrid only more religious and painfully punchworthily dorky.

And the one thing everyone in his past who has ever met him has in common in their opinion of him is a deep desire to never have to ever personally spend time with him ever again. Even his posh boys school asked him to stop coming to school reunions because they felt he was, in their words, making the whole thing into a farce.

If you don't know why Morrison is so bad, you don't know Morrison.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I'm not saying Morrison isn't bad, I'm saying that, to me, Trump still looks significantly worse.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Thaluikhain wrote:I'm not saying Morrison isn't bad, I'm saying that, to me, Trump still looks significantly worse.
On no explicable basis. Just purely explicitly subjective not described feels. Sure. That's legit.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

PhoneLobster wrote:
Thaluikhain wrote:I'm not saying Morrison isn't bad, I'm saying that, to me, Trump still looks significantly worse.
On no explicable basis. Just purely explicitly subjective not described feels. Sure. That's legit.
Wait, do you seriously need a list of the actual reasons why US President Donald J Trump is a dumpster fire? You don't have enough information about him to take one look at your list and realize he's worse than Morrison, and yet simultaneously you're absolutely certain that Trump is exactly as bad as Biden?

Unreal.

Here's a small sample, going back to before his political career since you did the same for Morrison. I'm leaving out quite a lot:

-was so racist in refusing to rent/sell to Black people that he got dragged to court in the 70s for housing discrimination, LOST, and then got dragged back into court because he wanted to keep doing racisms instead of following the court order.

-consistently refused to pay contractors he'd hired, bankrupting many smaller family businesses (larger ones knew not to work for him, because his word has always meant nothing)

-somewhere along the line of declaring bankruptcy SIX times, he began laundering money for organized crime. When even they couldn't put up with his terrible business practices, he started going abroad for dirty money (e.g. in Azerbaijan).

-launched his political career with nakedly racist attacks on America's first Black president

-launched his bid for president with nakedly racist attacks on just about everyone

-his personal corruption in office is both intense and absurdly petty, involving truly outrageous amounts of self-dealing for incredibly paltry sums.

-appointed literal white supremacists and let them set his immigration policy and run his justice department.

-a whole bunch of other destructive and dangerous appointments (executive and judicial), rolling back civil rights tremendously and doing their best to destroy both the functions and norms of government

-a whole bunch of bullshit re: Israel, Middle East, Yemen, etc.

-his administration has met the legal definition for committing genocide in something like six different ways.

-PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for approximately 40% of all english language Covid-19 misinformation, and actively destructive towards any attempts to address the virus (as noted above).

-as president one of his signature moves is to lie dozens of times a day, not just when it comes to promising public relief money. He'll deny that the disaster happened, claim that he gave billions, blame local authorities, and whine about how he's being treated unfairly all in the same tweet.

-conspires and colludes with foreign powers, both in his election efforts and as President.

-oh right he's a serial rapist, with more than two dozen specific allegations and that's not counting all the girls he's perved on at his beauty pageants.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You can make a long a legitimate list of ScoMo's many flaws and failings, but I daresay the list of Trump's would be longer and worst. Pick any day (or to be generous, week) during the last few years and you could find Trump doing something vile, you're likely to miss ScoMo's actions if you did that because they were fewer. ScoMo failed to act during covid, Trump deliberately made things worse. ScoMo uses his power to give benefits to his religion, Trump uses his to attack Muslims in a way that ScoMo did not.

Or, to put it another way, would you rather ScoMo or Trump be in charge of your nation? I'd pick ScoMo over Trump, no question, Turnbull over ScoMo, maybe Howard over Turnbull, and Jacinta Ardern over any of them.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Are we really having a 'worst person' contest right now? It seems pedantic to do the comparison. They are both complete trash, moving on.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Thaluikhain wrote:ScoMo failed to act during covid, Trump deliberately made things worse. ScoMo uses his power to give benefits to his religion, Trump uses his to attack Muslims in a way that ScoMo did not.
You... what? I have flat out been telling you Morrison DID do things to make the response to covid worse. He didn't just sit there doing nothing positive, he actively risked the nation at every fucking turn. Like oh say just to pick on the exact random topic of something you mention right there delaying more than once major levels of lock down response just so that his church could hold more than one major potential super spreader event fucking conferences.

And you think Scott Morrison doesn't attack Muslims? How god damn ignorant are you? That is basically the best god damn case example for me to cherry pick to say that Morrison is like/worse than Trump!

Scott Morrison founded his fucking career in politics attacking Muslims THATS WHY THE CHILDREN WERE/ARE IN CAGES. And he did that, and broke ground for the political right proving a modern way that it was politically advantageous to do so BEFORE Trump even began his political career. It would not be unreasonable to say that Morrison is one of the people from which Trump and his advisors learnt how to do that exact fucking thing. You can literally find quotes from him saying as much.

This is the problem talking politics. Plenty of people apparently think they are informed then come out with statements that are on their bare face obviously blindingly ignorant. And all too often it's because they've bought in far too hard to some lame corporate media line like "oogabooga Trump is the worst and only thing wrong with the world". He isn't he is a minor symptom of a larger malaise and politicians like Morrison are MUCH more integrated into and responsible for that greater problem than Trump is.

Trump stumbled into the room said the things you weren't supposed to say out loud and randomly sabotaged himself, sabotaged good things any Republican and most Democratic presidents also would have, and accidentally sabotaged (too few) bad things too in his incompetence in ways that very bad people found deeply inconvenient, offensive and embarrassing so they told you he was the worst thing ever, when he was basically just another minor disaster caused by them.

Morrison and MANY like him laid the ground work for Trump, methodically and deliberately do only evil, do it more effectively (I mean Morrison is a well thick idiot but Trump is a low bar), did it before Trump, during Trump and will be doing it long after Trump. The only thing he falls behind Trump on is a smaller country to fuck up and a properly friendly relationship with the corporate media.

I would happily have Trump instead of Morrison. If we had had Trump instead of Morrison unlike the US we would already have a Labor government by now, and we'd have had one with the surprisingly ambitious policies of Shorten instead of the depressingly horrible surrender that is everything Albanese. And since unlike some unenviable third world nations we have a functional political system not paralyzed with gridlock when labor has even the slimmest of majorities that would actually mean a hell of a lot more.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Leress wrote:Are we really having a 'worst person' contest right now? It seems pedantic to do the comparison. They are both complete trash, moving on.
You have a point there, moving on.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I mean I guess the thread is called election 2020 so this is just the place where people talk about only Donald Trump forever, but Joe Biden is putting a pro coal guy who has worked for every single oil company in the world in charge of energy and somehow still all anyone wants to talk about is the fine details of how specifically trump compares to other far right leaders.
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Phonelobster wrote: as a business (no literally I'm a business, I don't know if you guys do that over there, but I AM a business)
Please elaborate.

Game On,
fbmf
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Yes, please do. Can I buy PL plushies that babble arcane wisdom?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Biden putting Rahm Emmanuel's brother, who advocated all the old people dying because fuck them, on his COVID panel. Because democrats are contractually required by law to do nepotism for the worst people in the world because if you don't keep rewarding the same set of centrist consultants forever you might accidentally promote a new person who would expect the Democratic party to be good, and that's the worst imaginable thing to a democrat which is why the entire leadership is 80+ and Pelosi is breaking her promise not to run again.

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

With Username17 having disappeared, I find myself staring at Kaelik's doomer posts in conflict. On one hand, doomers are annoying and I don't enjoy talking to them. On the other hand, doomers are annoying and I worry people might believe Kaelik if no one ridicules him.

I guess I'll try this at least once?

Nepotism: Ezekiel Emmanuel has been in the public sector since 2010. As of 2020, he was the chairman for the department of medical ethics at UPenn and he was already consulting for Biden's campaign. His opinions on things like drug pricing are middle of the road neolib opinions, making him an almost entirely unsurprising consultant given that Biden is a middle of the road neolib. And this mediocre not-really-corruption seems like the closest thing to nepotism on the advisory panel... but to be fair, I'm not willing to look up the family relations of Celine Gounder in order to make fun of a doomer on the internet. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Fuck Old People: I'm pretty confident this is in reference to Emmanuel's stance on not wanting medical treatment after he turns 75. That's something worth arguing about, but it's not just "old people dying because fuck them". The distinction between life-saving and life-prolonging medical treatment is a big part of bioethics conversations today. I have been exposed to it since the beginning of my experience with medicine. That might betray my age -- my understanding is that the idea is about 20-30 years old. Emmanuel has a very specific take on the idea. It's close to Britain's insurance system IIRC, but it's pretty controversial. Still Construing this as "fuck old people" is dishonest doomerism.

No New People Evar: 5 minutes of fact-checking shows that Borio, Gawande, Gounder, Murthy, Nunez-Smith are in their 40-50s. Maybe Rodriguez and Pace too. It doesn't look like any of Rodriguez, Gounder, Gawande, or Nunez-Smith are even governmental insiders, let alone associated with Democratic party leadership. Hell, Emmanuel is in his 60s.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:With Username17 having disappeared, I find myself staring at Kaelik's doomer posts in conflict. On one hand, doomers are annoying and I don't enjoy talking to them. On the other hand, doomers are annoying and I worry people might believe Kaelik if no one ridicules him.
I see the 2 day period after the election were it is permissible to criticize democrats has expired. There is nothing "doomer" about accurately understanding the reality of the democratic party and criticizing the decisions that they are making and are about to make. This is arguably one of the very few circumstances where we actually can address these changes. Once the senate confirms Ernest Moniz to the DOE, we can't do anything about him approving more coal plants. Right now we can at least potentially influence a senator to insist on someone better. Right now Nancy Pelosi is not yet the Speaker for the 2021 Congress and since she previously promised to limit her terms we can sort of justify pressure for someone who doesn't suck quite as much.

That Biden's transition team is composed of a bunch of people funded by KSA is bad, but it's at least in the point where it is worth trying to get someone in as Secretary of State who isn't. It's an uphill battle, but the potential exists.

I attend meetings of my local DSA and police abolition chapter and we do talk about what kinds of things we could do. I called my congressperson literally this morning to threaten to fund primary campaigns against him if he votes for Pelosi. But you can't do these things if you live in the permanent bubble of not criticizing democrats for the next 3.5 years before we get another shot to maybe not have a climate denier president next time.
...You Lost Me wrote:Nepotism: Ezekiel Emmanuel has been in the public sector since 2010. As of 2020, he was the chairman for the department of medical ethics at UPenn and he was already consulting for Biden's campaign. His opinions on things like drug pricing are middle of the road neolib opinions, making him an almost entirely unsurprising consultant given that Biden is a middle of the road neolib. And this mediocre not-really-corruption seems like the closest thing to nepotism on the advisory panel... but to be fair, I'm not willing to look up the family relations of Celine Gounder in order to make fun of a doomer on the internet. Correct me if I'm wrong..
Do you think there are no doctors in the country more qualified that Biden's advisors brother? As qualified? This is nepotism! When you have a bunch of people to choose from and you happen to choose the brother of one of the advisors that's bad. It shows that doing favors is the reason people get jobs.
...You Lost Me wrote:No New People Evar: 5 minutes of fact-checking shows that Borio, Gawande, Gounder, Murthy, Nunez-Smith are in their 40-50s. Maybe Rodriguez and Pace too. It doesn't look like any of Rodriguez, Gounder, Gawande, or Nunez-Smith are even governmental insiders, let alone associated with Democratic party leadership. Hell, Emmanuel is in his 60s.
If you are filling out a list of doctors you kind of have to get some people who haven't personally been long time political insiders. But in this case the fact that Biden's transition team is putting in doctors on the recommendation of Rahm Emmanuel means it's still the same consultants involved making these decisions. And you know, the house leadership is composed entirely of people over the age of 80 and Robby Mook was in charge of getting house dems elected and he fucked it up which should be a big surprise since he's only been failing at that for his entire career.

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I do not see how you can counter doomer talk by trying to make the argument that the people making these moves aren't the worst you can imagine. Neolibs are as responsible for getting us into the current situation as the neo cons. Exactly when are we supposed to expect better when certain people who are ostensibly on 'my side' seem to think that there is nothing obviously wrong with making things continue to suck? Exactly how do people who think it's ok to have objectively bad people continuing to run our government believe we're going to ever move to a place significantly better?

If you want to take up Soldier 17's mantle since he's gone why don't you tell me exactly how are we supposed to get to a place where we could perhaps get rid of privatized insurance and actually address the medical crisis in this country if you keeping looking the other way every time someone who openly shows they aren't interested in fixing the primary issue gets put into office. Android 17's answer was we never can and shouldn't expect to. Does YLM have a better answer to this?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

fbmf wrote:
Phonelobster wrote: as a business (no literally I'm a business, I don't know if you guys do that over there, but I AM a business)
Please elaborate.

Game On,
fbmf
I don't know how you guys deal with business entities, wages and tax.

I struggle to understand how I deal with business entities, wages and tax.

But I will try to explain this as I understand it.

I own and run a small business. Possibly even a micro business. It is very slightly larger than being a single self employed tradesman, I have four part time employees, but outside of the peak of the season they do not do one full time employees hours between them. I probably do about one full time employees hours of work myself, but that literally does not count.

So, of course, the government needs to track this and tax this, or rather, make me do it, including new and exciting forms of extra data entry work they keep off loading onto the end users.

My business needs to register as an entity of some kind. It is not a partnership, because there are no partners, it is not a corporation for several reasons, and the recommended entity type for very small businesses like my own is "Sole Trader".

This means I pay wages and related withheld income tax, compulsory super, all that stuff and more for my employees relatively normally.

And then everything else, specifically to do with me being paid/taxed is just a bit weird and frequently falls through the cracks or requires special exceptions because basically everything is set up for other business entity types. Sole Traders, despite being for instance, basically every trades person in the nation, are kind of a legislative afterthought.

So when I say I AM a business this means I literally am registered for my business number and have bank accounts named "[My Name] Trading As [My Business Name]", and the only reason my business has it's own account separate from my personal account is for convenience of administration. For practical purposes the tax office doesn't especially differentiate and regards all the money as being mine. Basically the the business assets are my assets and visa versa and my income for tax purposes is the business income.

And yes that means I don't get other income. Like for instance wages. I do not pay myself wages. I am in fact not allowed to pay myself wages. I can work however many hours I want but I also do not count as an employee who works hours, even if I'm not paid for it. This was especially notable with a recent state level Covid relief grant I barely failed to qualify for because my hours of work didn't count so my business, on paper, just barely didn't work enough hours to be counted as a business at all, for the purposes of that grant.

Yes, that does mean basically every plumber/tradey/sole trader in the state was also excluded from that relief grant. Yes that meant bigger businesses did get it. Yes it was a liberal party grant. No that isn't surprising. Oh also good thing I didn't get it, apparently signing on to that one came with small print agreeing to be endlessly audited for no reason and possibly also a agreeing to a bunch of other bizarre special programs. It seems it was kinda like the small business version of taking an IMF loan.

So for instance early on I did qualify for the federal Covid relief program. But, because I'm a sole trader A)It was needlessly weird and demanding and B)They could send their robots* to demand the money back at any time based on retroactive changes to the rules I applied under.

*Robodebt is a thing here.

Anyway to describe the sole trader job-keeper wierdness...
1) The government refused to give economic stimulus money directly to the general populace because fuck labor did it that one time and they will NEVER just give everyone a stimulus payment directly to their bank account and also because fuck that might mean actual poor people got a payment.

2) So they gave the money to businesses instead and the businesses were then required to give it to their employees.

2a) I am a business and I have employees but am not myself an employee.

2b) My business entity type is sole trader. It changed hands under a year ago (at the time). But sole trader entities CANNOT change hands, because they are a person and not in the corporations are people sense but in a "it's that guy standing over there" sense, so in order for the business to formally change hands the OLD business (which was the same business and had been running for decades) had to technically end and a new one had to officially start.

2c) To qualify for Job Keeper for my employees... well fuck them the business needed to have records from a year ago to prove that IT had a reduction in turn over for THEM to deserve their stimulus payment. Which actually wasn't a stimulus payment (sort of). As on the books it was just "wage relief" going into MY pocket, sort of. Anyway, point is my business which in reality has run for decades officially existed for less than a year and had no records the tax department would agree were applicable.

2d) BUT GOOD NEWS. If you didn't meet the "standard test" to qualify, you could meet the "special test" instead. Bad news though, the deadline for the initial payments was coming BEFORE the special test requirements were being published. But, Good news, the tax department promises to be nice about it and they will totally let it go if you made an honest attempt at getting it right (details on what defines an honest attempt at getting it right not to be disclosed at this or any future point).

2e) So. My records that don't count tell me I safely qualify. They tell me I have to apply immediately. I do. Then the call do overs the deadline like three times in a row because of the obvious chaos they had caused. (And possibly because an estimated 60 Billion dollars worth of the economy was so scared shitless by the train wreck that they perhaps justifiably preferred to run away and hide with no stimulus/relief money). Anyway then they eventually released the Special Test and I safely qualified for that too. Once I navigated it's arcane mazes and thank fuck my business was 9 months old instead of 3 months old because WOW they screwed those guys with retroactive changes and debt robots. But only if they were sole traders.

3) OK So the government hates casual workers. They don't like poor people getting money. So Job Keeper only went to employees who were Full Time, Permanent Part Time, and "permanent" casual, which is basically a type of casual worker that doesn't exist, and in my business could not exist because among other things they need to be in the same casual job for over 12 months. Fortunately my employees were technically "Permanent Part Time" and for no apparent reason that did NOT come with a 12 month requirement, thank fuck.

3a) But, the program was kinda designed thinking part time workers pretty much don't exist (the economy is increasingly just casuals). So it paid out a MINIMUM rate per employee based on them working full time hours. Regardless of however many hours they worked. So my employees got a pretty big boost out of it and all sorts of money went into my bank account, and back out of it, and for some fucking reason it counted for income tax but not for some other things like compulsory super and MAN did it make my accounts into a fucking mess. Also this meant that when I no longer qualified because my business switched straight from a downturn into a pretty huge upturn (I'm in a weird industry that historically does weird things during hard economic times) the reward my employees got for the business turning around... was a sharp decrease in wages as they went off the job keeper scheme...

4) But what about ME did I get the actual wages/income relief other than basically making the frankly small amount of wages I pay "free" and giving my workers a temporary raise at... weird administrative costs only for me. And actually I did. Because sole traders ALSO got the Job Keeper payment PERSONALLY. Um. But we had to meet special requirements, because after all we don't earn wages. And those were so arcane I can barely understand them. But I would like to point out one thing. There was one minor requirement, I can't remember what I think it was another thing screwing the guys who had started their businesses within 3 months, but if you didn't meet it you could still qualify, you just had to personally notify the minister that you were applying. Now Only two things in the entire scheme required direct communication with the minister. A minor technicality for the newest and poorest of sole traders, and if I recall, something like being a corporation with an estimated turnover of well over a Billion dollars. Yes. Sole traders are expected to liaise directly with the minister on basically the same terms as billion dollar corporations. It's pretty nuts.

Anyway. Point was I also got a full time sort of minimum wages worth of money just for me as well. But I had to apply separately under different stranger rules exclusively for sole traders.

5) Oh. Did I mention that you had to apply every month through a unique online tax app/site in the back end of a menu initially meant for something else? Oh. And you applied each month in advance of knowing if you would qualify. THEN you paid all your employees all that extra money BEFORE YOU WERE PAID BY THE GOVERNMENT, and then in the NEXT month you sent the proof that actually your estimates were right and you DID turn out to qualify! So THEN they pay you the money you already paid all your employees by then.

5a) You might notice the "one month of (probably boosted) wages out of pocket before you (only maybe) get the actual money" thing. Yeah. Another reason many didn't take up the scheme. I had the assets to be a month out of pocket like that. MANY small business did not. A scheme which basically gave businesses free money was in fact too expensive for many small businesses to be a part of.

5b) Yes hidden in the back end of a weird online tax app thing I never knew existed and will probably never need to log into again. Yes not ALL businesses used that app, pretty much only sole traders had to, yep. Anyway many bigger businesses for instance could just use their normal real time income tax reporting app. I mean, I have to use that too, but as a sole trader and a smaller business and as someone stuck with the specific real time tax app I have...
So there is this thing where they've decided every business in Australia now has to do real time online income tax reporting for wages paid. They um, didn't provide an app. You just gotta like, go use a random app made by like some guy, they have a list of like 30, maybe 5 kinda work, badly, and maybe 1 or 2 are suitable for really small businesses (or even any given category of business), oh good luck if you need to change because the app stops working mid financial year because changing apps requires your app to work and the tax department does NOT have a plan b (as I personally discovered).

This would be more controversial in Australia if the government had say... actually told... every business in Australia that they are now supposed to be using this. I'm pretty sure that now it's actually illegal not to use this they've managed to get something like a quarter of Australian businesses using it. The tax department is basically just winging it and pretending that isn't happening at this point.

Oh and that's the employer end of it. The employees also use this, well not the app, but the derived database. But they only use it once a year at tax time. So. Back in the trial period when less than what, 5 or 10 percent of Australian businesses were on the app and about 15% of smaller businesses like mine had managed to be told that they were going to start using it the employees of a fraction of australian businesses all logged in to do their tax... and crashed the entirety of all government online services for all departments for days.

6) Oh and did you know WHY my tax app stopped working, because, in the middle of covid and job keeper, and a continuing failure to get anyone to even notice they were rolling out this new tax app thing they CHANGED THEIR PROPRIETARY ENCRYPTED IDENTITY VERIFICATION APP. Because they ALSO had one of those, I think it had existed, at least in its form at the time, for only a few years, but they switched to a new one, right at the worst time, and it made my tax app stop working for a week or two.

6b) OH AND DON'T GET ME GOING about the fucking cyber security on the new identity verification app. No wait I'm a fucking computer scientist, lets DO. The key, the fucking encryption key I am legally required to use, is in a human readable default visible easily opened file in a known location on your fucking hard drive. The security solution for this is that they made me sign a fucking disclaimer that it's my fault if someone gets their hands on that key.

Oh and the app that handles that key and all my sensitive accounting data and all my employees sensitive account data is written (badly) by seriously "some guy on the internet" who kindly does so (badly) "for free" gaining nothing for himself! And the tax department takes no responsibility for it even working let alone not stealing my data. Yes this was the governments idea and I have to do it. The alternative is mostly just the same thing but I pay a fortune for it.

I'm getting off track.

Point is.

I am Business.

It's pretty nuts.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The biden transition team seems to be just calling every big tech ceo and asking them for a member on the team. Eric Schmit, a billionaire who's entire career has been about killing the concept of privacy being chosen is a bad thing. The biden admin seems to believe that the richer you are the more important it is to give you power at every level.

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Kaelik wrote:There is nothing "doomer" about accurately understanding the reality of the democratic party and criticizing the decisions that they are making and are about to make. This is arguably one of the very few circumstances where we actually can address these changes.
++ to this, but I get the feeling you and I disagree about what "understanding the reality of the democratic party" is. Like Emmanuel's position on life-prolonging care is not "fuck old people", and he will not be yeeting himself off a cliff on his 75th birthday. Maybe I'm using a bad definition of the word Doomer. I'm using it to describe reality-warping rhetoric with the express purpose of making things sound significantly worse than they actually are. Preaching unrealistic dooooooom isn't praxis, it's going to set us back.
Kaelik wrote: Do you think there are no doctors in the country more qualified that Biden's advisors brother? As qualified? This is nepotism! When you have a bunch of people to choose from and you happen to choose the brother of one of the advisors that's bad. It shows that doing favors is the reason people get jobs.
Emmanuel looks like Biden's pick for bioethics. 10 years in the public sector + chairman of medical ethics at UPenn, and his medical background (cancer) involves finding lines between life-prolonging / life-saving treatments. I don't know a person who is more qualified because I don't spend time looking up oncologists & geriatricians who made their career out of bioethics, but it looks like you don't either, considering you haven't brought a name to back up the "more qualified" claim.
Kaelik wrote: If you are filling out a list of doctors you kind of have to get some people who haven't personally been long time political insiders. But in this case the fact that Biden's transition team is putting in doctors on the recommendation of Rahm Emmanuel means it's still the same consultants involved making these decisions. And you know, the house leadership is composed entirely of people over the age of 80 and Robby Mook was in charge of getting house dems elected and he fucked it up which should be a big surprise since he's only been failing at that for his entire career.
You have the power within yourself to criticize the age and politically incestuous behavior of dem leadership without drawing parallels to fake stuff, and I encourage you to do so. One comically tenuous connection in a sea of 40-50yo medical professionals, half of which are political outsiders, ain't legitimate criticism. It's just doom.

I don't want to draw this out, though. The doom train is already full steam, and I would rather address your future comments than turn this particular discussion into a multi-page fiasco that the Den is known for. Even if I don't respond to your comment, I promise I will read it. Also, I appreciate you dropping the point about "fuck old people".
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Democracy can be ugly. We can all agree that people don't always make wise decisions. A lot of the process is gambling on how 'stupid' you think everyone else is - how easily duped and how easily they can be tricked into voting against their own interests AND the interests of society as a whole.

With the relatively big polling misses, it's POSSIBLE that Sanders would have done better than Trump, but I don't think there's compelling evidence. That said, there are some really positive things about this election.

First, current votes tabulated exceed the 2016 votes by 11 million currently, and there are votes still to be counted (especially in California). It's possible that the percentage of eligible voters participating in 2020 is higher than it has been since 1900. Even with the higher rates of participation, a lot of focus has been turned on deliberate attempts at voter suppression. Currently, those efforts are supported primarily by Republicans. With an awareness of voting rights and Democracy at stake, I absolutely hope that increased political participation becomes the norm - even though there are 70 million voting Americans that I vehemently disagree with.
-This space intentionally left blank
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

If you truly in your heart believe that 5 people including rahm Emanuel were in a room talking about how to staff this committee and that someone besides rahm recommended his brother because hes so immensely qualified that he had to be considered then this is pointless.

There are plenty of people as qualified as rahm's brother. There is nothing special about sitting on the board of medical ethics at princeton. There are other board members of the same board who are all equally qualified for this position. There are other hospitals and universities with medical ethics boards all with multiple members. Literally any of these people would be equally qualified as one of Joe Biden's close advisors brother. The reason he was picked instead of all those people is because rahm asked for him to be "considered" aka picked.

We dont know the specifics of how every appointment is made because most corruption is less insanely blatant than Rahm putting his brother into a position, but the fact that one decision was made this way does not cast good light on the other decisions. Nor the rest of his decisions like putting a former Google CEO currently under investigation by the feds and multiple state governments or a Facebook lawyer on his transition team, but that it takes 5 seconds to see extremely blatant corruption in a relatively minor post like covid planning council does not bode well for cabinet positions.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I hope that since Biden has won and there is no longer any need to convince people that he is good or intends to do anything other than be the same self styled conservative democrat he's advertised himself as for his entire career. It's a good time to stop normalizing the idea that people should be happy to settle with this incrementalism shit as their only alternative to the right. If the big brain plan was to put Biden in office so he could be pushed left every conversation for his entire term should be about doing exactly that and not trying to find a way to get people to begrudgingly accept every obviously shitty choice Biden or his administration decides upon. The excuse that 'he must win' is past so there's no reason I shouldn't be seeing every person who cried for calm and patience prior to this election showing their hunger for getting Biden to do more. I should not see people getting agitated into speaking in order to find a way to convince others to be ok with a continuation of the very same kind of bad decision making that leads to nothing of real substance being done.

Change takes a fuck load of time and effort and there's absolutely no reason each and every self proclaimed leftist/left leaning person shouldn't be making every effort to normalize agitating for more progressive moves to be made right here and now.
Last edited by MGuy on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

MGuy wrote: Change takes a fuck load of time and effort and there's absolutely no reason each and every self proclaimed leftist/left leaning person shouldn't be making every effort to normalize agitating for more progressive moves to be made right here and now.
Well, here is a gaming forum, so maybe NOW, but maybe not HERE. Again and still, if you respect democracy then not every proposal that gets listed as 'leftist' is popular - not even among leftists.

Like, is it worth spending political capital on a Federal effort to 'defund the police' when most police funding is handled as the state and local level? Especially when Democrats are pretty united on 'police reform' but less so on 'abolish police'? I think advocating for policies that you believe are important is worthwhile - hearts and minds - but a Biden win (or a Sanders win if that had happened) doesn't mean that everyone is entirely on board.

My wife is a historian. She thinks that Leon Blum is instructional. Even though we now accept things like the 40 hour work week as standard, those progressive policies absolutely did invoke a counter-reactionary movement.

Put another way, Gene Roddenberry wanted to have a gay character on the original Star Trek, but thought that if he did, the show would be cancelled and he wouldn't be able to explore ANY of the progressive policies he was interested in. That's always the conundrum - there are things that are right and just and demand 'the fierce urgency of now' and there are things that might be better or might be worse and we can debate the specific merits of an implementation EVEN IF OUR GOALS ARE ALIGNED.
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-This space intentionally left blank
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Exit polling did show high support among the populace for various progressive policies such as Medicare for All, legal weed, etc., but Biden's share of the vote was a lot smaller that those policy's popularity. It'd be nice to think it's just progressives making protest votes against the current two party situation that caused this to be the case, but it looks more like it's a bunch of people who like the idea of progressive policies, but still vote GOP down the line.