Ruger LCR .38 Special +P or Smith & Wesson Shield EZ .380?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Ruger LCR .38 Special +P or Smith & Wesson Shield EZ .380?

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Which gun is better as a nightstand gun? Looking to get one of the two for self defense reasons. Without going into a lot of details, my safety and my legal rights have recently come under threat, and I would like to have a weapon that I can reliably shoot to stop a potential attacker who seeks to end my life to prove a point. I would like to make a decision by Friday, as I cannot count on either weapon being available after that due to the election craze.

Any responses are appreciated.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I'd go for the automatic over the revolver, but I also wouldn't encourage anyone to assume I have meaningful insight into handguns.

Edit: I do respect this youtube channel, dunno if you've already gone through all the considerations she brings up:

https://youtu.be/O2MjN9ZE66g
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I am absolutely not a firearms expert, though I've done some research in the hopes it might help if I get round to finishing my novel, and cause there's never anything good on TV. However, I would first ask:

How much firearms experience do you have already?

Does it have to be a handgun? If I wanted a gun for home defence, a pump action shotgun (not necessarily 12 gauge) is hard to beat, if that's an option.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thanks Josh_Kablack for your answer and the video.

Thaluikhain: I have basic experience with 5.56 guns, as I currently have a Kel-Tec RDB Defender. I feel that the Kel-Tec RDB Defender handles all close quarters situations in a sufficient manner, provided that I can get to it. Which is why I asked for advice for a nightstand gun, in case I need a weapon in seconds. I do not have experience with handguns, and I wanted to see what the opinion is between the above Ruger and Smith & Wesson handguns before I make my choice.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Well, I'm led to believe that a small revolver isn't a great choice for a first handgun, it being somewhat awkward, and +P is going to make that worse.

OTOH, nothing to stop you from shooting it with normal 38 special until you get the hang of that, and then moving to +P, though I'd recommend once you've gotten the hang of +P you stick to firing that, train with what you expect to use, even if the 38 is easier or cheaper.

The main advantage of a small revolver is that it's nice and compact and easy to carry, which wouldn't be required for a gun sitting on your nightstand. If a larger revolver was an option I'd go for that over the smaller.

If not, the main advantage of a revolver is that it's super reliable, unlike *earlier* semi-auto pistols, but semi-auto pistols are very reliable nowdays as well. There's still the fear of getting something wrong with a more mechanically complex semi-auto that you wouldn't with the revolver (you in this case meaning the generic you, not you specifically), but if you personally have a semi-auto bullpup and can handle that, a semi-auto handgun shouldn't be a problem.

Again, I'm hardly an expert, though.
erik
King

Post by erik »

This whole thread is making me feel like I'm going crazy. I cannot fathom a good reason for a civilian to own a Kel-Tec RDB Defender.

I can imagine situations where someone may fear for their safety and life and desire a firearm, but there's way too many unknowns to offer specific alternatives. I would say generally if you are worried about having to kill someone seconds after waking from sleep, the more seconds you can buy the better. An alarm system, security cameras, and reinforced doors might give more safety. If someone has entered your home while you are sleeping then your prospects are pretty poor.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

I've had over a dozen years experience with handguns as both a civilian and military policeman.

I'd go with the revolver. I've had feeding problems from magazines that stay loaded 24/7, while the revolver can stay loaded without putting any stress on the weapon.

However, I'm also older and child-free, with few guests. When one threatens to arrive with kids, I like to disassemble the weapons so I can hand over the barrels or firing pins to the parents. Revolvers make that trickier, and I have to trust them to gun locks.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

So the count is official 2 votes for the S&W, and 1 vote for the Ruger. I plan to get Smith & Wesson Shield EZ .380 and Vaultek Slider Series Handgun Safe to put my mind at east. Thank you guys for your help.

Erik: I do have an alarm system. Security cameras and reinforced doors do not solve that problem enough to mitigate the risk of not having a nightstand gun. I do agree that buying seconds is crucial, but I still would like to have a handgun at my nightstand so I can have access to a weapon before I can get to my Kel-Tec RDB Defender.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

late to the party; don't know if you bought already or not; but here's my 2cp:
.380 is for pocket/purse carry, when you want minimal weight/printing. any other use, and you might be setting yourself up for failure.

dedicated nightstand should probs be a full-size (mag capacity), no smaller than 9mm (adequate penetration and wound cavity).

understanding in-home use concerns ... consider either hollowpoints or sub-sonic ammo (while they do make sub-sonic hollowpoints, i'd be skeptical of reliable expansion; which is why i say either/or).
personally, i'm quite paranoid of over-penetration, which is why i my 9mm uses the maximum-expanding rounds i can find (Norma MHP ... and only 108gr to boot), and my shockwave and KS7 use #9buck and 3"turkey load respectively (both in 12ga).

take that fwiw :shrug:
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard