[Let's Play] Storytrails #21 Island of the Walking Dead

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which FF gamebook should we play after this LP?

Slaves of the Abyss (FF32)
No votes
Black Vein Prophecy (FF42)
20%
The Crimson Tide (FF47)
20%
Magehunter (FF57)
60%

Total votes: 5

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I remembered what Don Miguel had muttered when we had found him. One thing had made sense - that he was told to make for the harbor and take the boat!

I backed the Land Rover, swung it around and drove it back onto the road. Putting my foot down hard to the floor, I drive south to the crossroads where I could turn down the road to the harbor.

Just a hundred yards down that road the headlights pick out a row of figures strung out across the road in front of us!

"They can't have got here before us!" Sue exclaimed. I didn't know any more, though I thought it more likely that these were more of Sable's creatures and that they might be all over the Town!

"Maybe, dey zombies," Billy said, "but dey still made o' flesh an' blood. You keep drive. Dis iron critter squash dem dead good!"

We were nearly on top of them - and they hadn't moved. Perhaps Billy was right - they were just zombies - but they looked like normal people. I couldn't run them down. I braked, hard.

"I fix!" Billy said. "Blow der heads off wi' dis gun. Den dey not seein' go nowhere!"

Before I could stop him, Billy was out of the Land Rover. There was one of him and a dozen of them. They could tear him apart! I jumped out after him. The creatures began to back away. Perhaps they were afraid of Billy's gun - and, suddenly, they were gone - melted into the shadows!

I saw that Sue had also followed me.

"Where's Senor Alvarez?" I asked.

I didn't wait for an answer. The Land Rover was fifty yards behind us. I started to run. The cab of the Land Rover was empty!

We found Mort near to the harbor. The search continued all through the night. At dawn, planes began to land from Nassau. Within an hour, the island was swarming with policemen.

Billy stayed with the search. Sue was almost 'out' on her feet and went back to the inn for a sleep. Seabrook and the Marie Galante had almost gone out of my head. I went down to the harbor to see what was happening. Seabrook was there - now with his whole team. They were going to raise the Marie Galante!
There were plenty now involved with the search. I decided to go with Seabrook. He had chosen to direct the operation from the cabin on the salvage vessel which contained the TV monitors. He was in radio contact with the tugs. Je ordered everyone out of the cabin except myself.

I noticed that the cameras giving the view of the wreck from above had been switched off. The ship could still be seen from fore and aft.

Seabrook and his two divers must have worked all night. I saw that all of the plastic sacks had been fitted and the air lines brought to the surface ready to inflate them. None of the diving team was down with the wreck. I could also see that there was a heavy tidal current. In two hours, the tide would have slackened. It would not have been the moment I would have chosen for attempting the left - but I wasn't going to question Seabrook's judgement.

I watched the sacks inflate, saw the cradle shift and slowly begin to rise clear of the bottom. The tugs were alerted to take the strain on the steadying cables. Seabrook began to relay his directions to the tugs - "Winch in on one - and hold. Slacken off on three..."

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Seabrook seemed, quite deliberately, to be aiming the cradle at the wall of the cleft! I saw it strike and some of its timbers break away!

"Now it's too late to try to change my mind," he said. "switch on the cameras over the hull."

I was looking down inside the cradle at the bottom of the hull of the Marie Galante. Sprawled on it, was a body, face up. It was Senor Miguel Alvarez - but that was not all. Clasped tightly around it were the arms of two skeletons! For a moment, it looked as if they were moving, and then, on the other monitors, I saw that the whole ship was breaking up, the pieces being swept away in the strong tidal current.

Seabrook received no criticism for his 'failure', only sympathy for having been forced to attempt the lift before the ship was destroyed by further tremors!

After three days, the search for Senor Alvarez was abandoned. Neither Sable nor Charlie were found on the island. Officially, all three are 'missing persons'!
Another bad ending! This path is the one I dislike most, personally, since I don't see any reason how the reader can tell that taking the advice of the man who saved Alvarez at the inn to head for the harbor would be a bad choice. At least I could see some logical thought process that the last 2.

Rewinding to the last branch, again....
I backed the Land Rover, swung it around and drove it back onto the road. Putting my foot down flat on the floor I drove south, passing the crossroads which would have taken us down to the harbor. Where the road ended, I went on into the trees, scraping the branches and flattening the undergrowth until we bumped onto the old timber road. After half a mile I stopped. Twenty yards away was the back garden of the house. I got Billy to help Senor Alvarez down to the cellar while Sue took what food she could find in the refrigerator. I found candles, and filled two big, plastic containers with water.

Once in the cellar, I locked the heavy mahogany door and nailed some stout boards across it and into the door frame. We settled down to wait - and for an hour nothing happened.

Then came the first blow to the outside of the door - then several more, each with the weight which might have come from a sledge hammer. The door held.

"Wen I chile," Billy said, "my mother teach me rhyme to keep de witch off - 'Ten, ten, de Bible, ten!'"

"Say it together!" said Sue.

We all recited, "Ten, ten, the Bible, ten," but the banging continued. I put my hand into my pocket and felt my fingers close on the fetch. I ran to the door and stuck it between the door and one of the boards which I had nailed across it. There was instant silence!

The first person to speak was Senor Alvarez.

"They are not gone. They only wait 'till she finds a way. There is something I must know!"

"Rest," I said. "You've had a blow to the head."

"No," he answered, struggling to his feet. "I may have little time. I know what I am saying. The captain - I want to see the Marie Galante. Is he among the bones stored down here?"

I thought he must delirious, but I pointed to a skeleton feet from where he stood.

"One of the few complete skeletons," I said. "We were able to identify him from personal jewelry on the body. His name was-"

"Yanez Pinzon," interrupted Senor Alvarez. "Look at the feet. See that he has six toes on each foot."

Senor Alvarez had removed one of his shoes and his sock. He too had six toes!
And it turns out that we still had the fetch in our pocket all along! But since the text didn't exactly mention us picking it back up again after the priest looked at it, it was not unreasonable for the reader to assume that it was left at the inn.

And while this section probably answers the question about the "modern" skeleton with 6 toes found in the second bad ending we came across, it raises the new question of what the hell happened to the original 6-toed skeleton in that event.....
"My mother's name was Pinzon," he said. "My own name is Don Miguel; Yanez Pinzon Alvarez. I can follow my ancestors back all the way to that man whose bones lie there. I am a direct descendant of the captain of the Marie Galante. And now you know why that woman seeks to kill me! She must be among the last of her people. I am the surviving symbol of those who almost destroyed her race in the most cruel and shameful ways imaginable. She has the right to kill me."

"She has no such right," I said. "She cannot be judge and jury for 30000 people - just as you cannot carry the blame for what your ancestor did nearly five centuries ago. We will do all we can to protect you."

Sue and Billy added their agreement.

"I thank you for that," Senor Alvarez replied, "but it is in my fate. There is an ancient paper in my family records which speaks of a curse - a curse which would not be lifted for twenty-one generations. If that me lying there is the first, then I am the twenty-first generation."

As he spoke there was a smell of burning. We looked towards the door. The fetch had begun to smoulder. I ran for one of the containers of water, but there was a flash of flame - and the fetch was gone. Immediately, the blows on the door began again. A crack appeared in the mahogany and two of the boards I had nailed across, came loose.

"I told you she would find a way," said Senor Alvarez. "And I cannot let you take the punishment which is mine alone."

He began to move towards the door. I had started after him when another earth tremor threw all of us, violently, to the floor. Still half dazed, I shook myself to my senses. I could see Senor Alvarez pulling the loose boards from the door, as the door itself shook visibly under the blows and, each moment, new cracks appeared in the heavy timber!

I could not stop the thoughts which filled my mind. At any second, the door would give and the creatures would be among us. If I let Senor Alvarez go, then would the rest of us be spared? Did stopping him mean certain death for all of us?
Do we allow our boss to sacrifice himself?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Given how many bad ends result in Señor Alvarez vanishing and/or dying I assume we don't want the old fart to die. Stop him.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sorry, I'd been busy over the weekend.....
I staggered to my feet and, half lurching across the cellar, seized Senor Alvarez, dragging him down the steps and away from the door. Sue was shouting. Holding Senor Alvarez, who was struggling, I managed to turn my head. Sue was pointing to the wall at the back of the cellar.

The last earth tremor had brought down a large area of plaster which had covered the original stonework. Billy joined Sue. I saw him lift her up towards the roof of the cellar. There was a sudden clatter and a rusty iron grating fell to the floor. Senor Alvarez stopped struggling. "There's a wasy out!" Sue was shouting. "I can see the back garden!"

I looked again at the door. It was visibly more split than it had been only seconds before. There was no choice. We had to get out!

The Land Rover was still at the bottom of the garden, but starting the engine would alert the creatures to our escape. We ran down the old road towards the harbor. If we could find a boat, we could seek refuge aboard the salvage vessel.

We stumbled down the harbor steps. It was only as we reached the bottom that I was struck with the sickening sensation that something was wrong. Out there were four tugs and a salvage vessel - but there was nothing - not a single navigation light!

As I peered out into the darkness, a young moon rose above the houses of the Town, spreading its pale light across the water. Entering the harbor moth, was a ship - a three-masted Spanish carrack, fully rigged, its mainsail hoisted, its bow-wave frothing white as silently the ship cut through the water!

"I tried to stop you! I warned you of the dangers! Now you have released terrible forces beyond your control!"

The voice was loud, close - and human! Tearing my gaze from the phantom ship, I turned to see, standing above us on the steps - Charlie! I watched as he raised his arms towards the sky.

"Zemis! Ancient spirits! Protectors of the Lucayan people. Stop this thing!"

There was only an answering silence and then, from across the water - a whisper on the wind - "Captain! Captain Pinzon. We are come for you!"
I was startled by a sharp, metallic 'clank' and a curious, heavy rolling sound. I looked down at my feet. Just coming to rest was one of the cannon balls which had been stacked by the cannon. Charlie was now beside us.

"They've answered," he said, quietly. "We must sink the Marie Galante with her own cannon!"

"We don't even have powder," I answered him.

"We have de powder!" said Billy. "Der still one keg I not able to carry - in one dem sheds!"

Before I could answer, Billy was running.

"We need wadding," Charlie said. "Test your clothes into small strips - and we need a piece of wood to tamp down the wadding and the powder."

I felt as if I was suddenly living a nightmare. I was certain that the cannon themselves would explode yet, when Billy returned with the gunpowder, I helped to fill and prime them, tamping down the wadding of torn clothing and lifting the thirty-pound iron balls into the mouths of the squat, brass barrels.

Charlie had lit a torch of twisted canvas torn from the lining of Senor Alvarez' jacket.

"You can't do it!" Sue shouted. "The ship is full of people. I can see women and children!"

"Zombies!" Charlie answered - and before anyone else could speak had had touched off the first cannon.

There was a flash and a roar. The ball splashed short of the ship. The second cannon fired. The ship's foremast collapsed across the mainsail. The third ball hit amidships. I heard the fourth cannon fire, but my eyes were riveted on the ship as it was raked from stem to stern by a sheet of flame. The roar of the explosion reached me and set my whole head singing.

The harbor was empty. Beyond its entrance, I could see the twinkling lights of the tugs and salvage vessel. I turned to look at Charlie. He was lying beside the fourth cannon, its barrel split in two. A silver of brass, like the blade of a dagger, stuck from his chest, just above the heart. Charlie was dead! Now there were voices above us. Father Nicolas and Mort Jackson were running down the harbor steps.

Having given the last rites, Father Nicolas still kneeling by Charlie's body, gently lifted the fringe of hair.
The moonlight fell on a wide, sharply sloping forehead.

"He was probably the last of the Lucayans," said Father Nicolas. "He was also the son of the woman, Sable, trained as a voodoo priest, but long since rejecting the path of evil. It was his last confession, which brought me to you with my warning."

It was an answer to the first of many questions.

Seabrook, Malcolm and the two divers had been working on, desperately, trying to save the wreck from destruction. They had returned aboard the salvage vessel at what must have been the time that I, Sue, Senor Alvarez and Billy reached the harbor. The had seen the pictures of the wreck vanish from the TV monitors. They had gone on deck in time to see the firing of the cannon - though they had seen nothing of the phantom ship. When they had returned to the monitors, they were again working - showing an empty cleft in the reef. All trace of the Marie Galante had vanished!

It was getting towards dawn when I returned with Mort Jackson to the house. The cellar door was badly smashed but, amazingly, had held. Of Sable's 'creatures' there was no trace. The fate of Sable herself was another matter.

I asked to go with Mort to her shack. He agreed. He stopped his car a little was off, and we walked. As we neared the shack, I became aware of quick, rustling movements on the ground around us. Mort Kicked aside a trailing rope of galloping vine and two small, white crabs scuttled out, vanishing beneath a nearby gumma bush.

"Wait here," Mort said, walking on alone to the shack. I watched him enter. He was not long in reappearing - and was instantly sick! I moved towards him. He waved me back.

"I'm all right," he said, kicking away another of the crabs which had come near to his foot. "They're land crabs. The locals call them 'graveyard crabs' and believe that they feed on human corpses. I never believed it myself - but something has eaten most of the body that's lying in there!"

Sable had paid the awful price of failure. Senor Alvarez was still alive, having outlived a curse that had lasted for twenty-one generations.
And finally, we reached the "success" ending to this book! Not much more to reveal, since we've also hit every other ending on the way (choosing not to stop Alvarez's sacrifice would have eventually led us to the third bad ending section that we'd already been to)! Thanks to everyone who participated!

And this time, we have a clear winner in the poll for the next gamebook LP (Magehunter). It will be coming up a couple days later. Hope to see everyone there!
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

What would have happened if we went camping at the start? Do we just get looped around to Alvarez's plane landing?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The early branches all converge around at the point where we're back in the house and hear the heavy footsteps below which stop and back off when they reach the landing where we leave the fetch.

The camping trip path will involve our character going through the events from another point of view (witnessing what Sue and Malcolm encountered at the dig first-hand, including the death of Billy's dog).

Generally, we will always learn the following whichever path, we take, the early paths mainly determines whether we witness them ourselves or learn the info from someone else:

- a Lucayan skull is stolen from the house (we find that out before we leave for the lake, even if we may not confront Cuffy on it)

- Sable the witch has been stealing the townsfolks' livestocks

- Billy's dog getting its back broken by "bougamen" (naked men may be spotted)

- Charlie's disappearance

- we always end up getting the fetch (if we didn't get it from Cuffy, we could have got it from Mort Jackson, or Billy, depending on which path we take