How TF to handle Constructs?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

How TF to handle Constructs?

Post by Wiseman »

So, I'm going back to focusing more on completing Bionicle D20 and there are several issues I've run into. One of the main ones is that most creatures in the setting are some form of construct, but the Construct type is itself a complete mess.

There have been various attempts to fix it, like Frank and K's version from the BoG or the Living Construct subtype, but still they don't do what I need them to do.

For reference, this is the standard within the setting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFulqXIF7o

What the hell do you even do with that?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

In D&D, the construct type is meant to model a small subset of possible monsters, almost all of whom were created by wizards in specific settings.

If, in your bionicle world, almost everything is a "construct", you should probably just start from scratch, decide what types of constructs exist and what properties they have, and design multiple types around that.

(Caveats: I don't care about Bionicles, I haven't thought about them since I was a child, and I didn't watch your linked video because I didn't like the animation.)
Last edited by Blicero on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Wiseman wrote:Everyone is special a construct, Dash Den.
Den wrote:Which is another way of saying that no one is.
Seriously, though, why worry about the Construct type- all your different construct types take the place of player races, and... I don't honestly know much about Bioniclemando... are there non-construct people? If so, then make them have the Meatbag template or something.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:... are there non-construct people? If so, then make them have the Meatbag template or something.
This.

Constructs in D&D are a type of creature that needs to be handled differently in the game.

But if constructs are the default creature, then meat bag is the special that needs to be templates.

Thinking further, you’re probably going to have to remove spells or conditions that are derived from organic poisons, unbreathable atmospheres and digestibles. If the setting is devoid of effects that constructs are immune to, you’ve defined constructs without wasting time on a template.

If you make a template that says constructs are immune to x, y and zed, but don’t bother to strip these elements from spells, trap design and world hazards, then you’ve only done the easy part.

But if you do the homework, you don’t need to creat a construct template unless you want to support bionicle cross-over adventures.
Last edited by Harshax on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

D&D's view of what hit points mean, what being alive or sleeping means, is already vague so you can revise it as you wish

Like a construct not needing a fort save means you write exceptions for acid and electromagnetic pulses and so on.

The Warhammer 40k approach is that constructs have a tag (warp demons also have a tag) which makes them immune to the effects of some poisons but then take more damage from electromagnetic weapons. They then get healed by techpriests instead of fleshpriests
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

What is the difference between most D&D constructs and Bionicles? Genuinely asking, as I haven't played with Bionicles in about a decade and I was never too clear on the lore, although I hear they're neat.
I get that Bionicles are elementally-themed biomechanical creatures, though. Really cool video. I guess the best place to start is for you to distinguish between the superpowered Toa and the tiny little shitters?
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Harshax wrote:
JigokuBosatsu wrote:... are there non-construct people? If so, then make them have the Meatbag template or something.
This.

Constructs in D&D are a type of creature that needs to be handled differently in the game.

But if constructs are the default creature, then meat bag is the special that needs to be templates.

Thinking further, you’re probably going to have to remove spells or conditions that are derived from organic poisons, unbreathable atmospheres and digestibles. If the setting is devoid of effects that constructs are immune to, you’ve defined constructs without wasting time on a template.

If you make a template that says constructs are immune to x, y and zed, but don’t bother to strip these elements from spells, trap design and world hazards, then you’ve only done the easy part.

But if you do the homework, you don’t need to creat a construct template unless you want to support bionicle cross-over adventures.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:What is the difference between most D&D constructs and Bionicles? Genuinely asking, as I haven't played with Bionicles in about a decade and I was never too clear on the lore, although I hear they're neat.
I get that Bionicles are elementally-themed biomechanical creatures, though. Really cool video. I guess the best place to start is for you to distinguish between the superpowered Toa and the tiny little shitters?
Well most creatures in Bionicle have both biological and mechanical parts. They need to eat, sleep and breathe (though recharging at powerstations can substitute for the first one). They can be poisoned, mutated (which also affects their mechanical parts), infected.

Also there are naturally organic creatures like the Glatorian and Agori, as well as other things like Kraata which would probably be abberations.

Not to mention things going the other route, with Vahki who are purely robotic.

There's also the Elemental Lords who are... well... Elementals, or the Makuta who are energy beings encased in armor.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Harshax
Knight

Post by Harshax »

I watched the video.

It implied that bionicles have some kind of slow regeneration process. Possibly, the ability to reconstruct itself from available materials.

But this could just be 'natural healing mechanics' ramped up in the setting to accommodate the self-reconstruction algorithms in whatever makes a bionicle what it is.

Seems like bionicles might be creatures with additional equipment slots in the form of their appendages.

I didn't quite get the moment where a bird pecked at what I imagined was the bionicle's lungs? Seemed like those fleshy-bits aren't even necessary?
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I never got into bionicle when I was younger. I know it exists and I get the gist of it but that's about it. They sound like living constructs and if they are the base species that the entire game revolves around it's probably best to just treat them like 'weird' humans.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Wiseman wrote:Well most creatures in Bionicle have both biological and mechanical parts. They need to eat, sleep and breathe (though recharging at powerstations can substitute for the first one). They can be poisoned, mutated (which also affects their mechanical parts), infected.
Living Construct does 90% of what you want. Just flip the couple bits that don't fit and rename it biomechanical, because that what bionicals are according to the Wiki.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Previn wrote:
Wiseman wrote:Well most creatures in Bionicle have both biological and mechanical parts. They need to eat, sleep and breathe (though recharging at powerstations can substitute for the first one). They can be poisoned, mutated (which also affects their mechanical parts), infected.
Living Construct does 90% of what you want. Just flip the couple bits that don't fit and rename it biomechanical, because that what bionicals are according to the Wiki.
Yeah, I was already working on that.

Biomechanical Subtype
This subtype applies to Constructs that have a mixture of biological and mechanical components, and thus, have traits that differ from standard constructs, appending the construct type as follows.
*Have a Constitution score and thus do not receive bonus hit points based on size and is subject to non-object fortitude saves.
*Are subject to precision damage normally from creatures with the Construct type. Other creatures need at least 1 rank in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) to do the same.
*Need to Eat, Sleep, and Breathe.
*Does not innately possess low-light vision or darkvision.
*Subject to Poison, Disease, Sleep, Paralysis, Stunning and Death effects normally.
*Subject to Ability Damage/Drain, Fatigue, Exhaustion and Nonlethal/Subdual damage.
*Heals damage by resting normally. Can be repaired.
*Isn't destroyed at 0 hit points, instead going into the negatives, becoming staggered/dying/dead.
*Can be affected Cure/Inflict and Repair/Cause spells normally, as well as other positive and negative energy effects. Can be Raised/Resurrected normally.
*Subject to [Mind-Affecting] effects.
*Does not age. Does not receive any benefits or penalties for aging and has no maximum age.

Example Creatures: Matoran, Modron, Rahkshi
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The 'subject to precision damage normally...except not' sounds like it would get wonky. In our heartbreaker we gave undead a CON score but we gave them a form of fortification. Instead of 25% chance of negating a crit, we give them +10 AC for confirmation rolls.

So if the rogue attacks a skeleton with AC 18, they need to roll a 28 to get Sneak damage (we always apply it on a Nat 20). If the Fighter threatens a crit by rolling a Nat 20, he has to confirm against 28 instead of 18. You could use something like that and allow your ranks in Knowledge (Engineering) to be a bonus on the confirmation roll. I think it would end up being easier in play.
-This space intentionally left blank
owlassociate
1st Level

Post by owlassociate »

I think it would be pretty easy and a lot simpler to do away with D&D types altogether for a bionicles game, even in d20
Dickolaus Von Scrotunheim is no coward