[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 28 - Phantoms of Fear

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of Robin Waterfield's FF works would you like to play next?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 am

Masks of Mayhem (FF23)
50%
Phantoms of Fear (FF28)
50%
Deathmoor ((FF55)
No votes

Total votes: 6

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

#

A stately woman, dressed in robes which constantly change colour, greets you in the garden. She smiles upon you, introduces herself as Galana, goddess of plant and fertility, and gives you a message: "This garden may be the last haven you find, but you must persevere, even when all seems hopeless. There are two ways you may defeat Ishtra; both require considerable POWER, but one also requires physical artefacts to channel your POWER. You decide." You try to ask her what she means, but she is gone. Add 1 LUCK and 1 POWER point, and turn to 303.
POWER is back up to 20!

There's no option in the text here, but we do have another opportunity to drop out of the dream world (#). Do we want to do that now?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

JourneymanN00b wrote:Wake up!
I am mildly disappoint you didn't go for the wiggles there, so I'll have to:

Wake up, Jeff
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

This seems like a good point to drop out.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Thaluikhain wrote:
JourneymanN00b wrote:Wake up!
I am mildly disappoint you didn't go for the wiggles there, so I'll have to:

Wake up, Jeff
Goldeneye >> The Wiggles. Sorry, but the movie is one of my favorite 90's classic movies and has a special place in my memories.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Your sudden appearance surprises the two Orcs who were carelessly using their guardroom to catch up on lost sleep. You strike one dead before he has fully woken up, and turn to face the other.

ORC GUARD SKILL 7 STAMINA 6

For the first Attack Round only, the Orc has SKILL 6, because he is still groggy from his nap. If you win, turn to 92.
This should be an easy one...

COMBAT LOG:
Orc Guard 14, DVS 23. OG is at 4.
OG 12, DVS 17. OG is at 2.
OG 15, DVS 19. OG is killed.
Quick and easy flawless.
You look around the room; there is not much of interest. Weapons are stacked in one corner and hanging on the walls, but there are none which look any better than your own. Apart from the weapons, the room is almost bare. The Orcs were sleeping on chairs against the table; the table has only a wooden bowl on it. The racks of weapons are numbered in good military fashion, and even the bowl has the number 9 burned into it. You can take the bowl, if you want. As you are leaving, you see a key hanging behind the door. You can take this too, if you want. Will you lock the door behind you or quickly make your way north?
A room full of numbered items? I can see why the dream world correspondence is considered a 'haven'. It would be a haven for any FF book PC.

Lock the door or not? Take the bowl and/or key?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I see no reason not to take both. Locking the door is either going to be essential (blocks off an enemy avenue for attack) or be suicide (blocks off an escape route), but I'm not sure which. Leaning towards locking it since we can take the key.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Take both (obviously), and half vote for locking the door.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My vote is to get the bowl and key, and lock the door behind DVS.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You lock the door, with the Orcs' bodies inside the room, to prevent anyone seeing signs of your intrusion into this room, at any rate. Add 1 LUCK point. However, the key jams in the lock and you cannot take it with you. You then carry on north.
I guess this means we only take the bowl.

But hey, the LUCK bonus indicates that this is probably supposed to be a good option (even if we can't use that bonus).
You arrive at a crossroads. The stone of the tunnels glisten damply in the torchlight. A main passage runs to right and left, and there is also a tunnel straight ahead, though its narrow and unlit. Will you go left, right or straight ahead?
Back in the real world and back in familiar territory in terms of options....randomly go left, right or centre?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Dickolaus Von Scrotunheim
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 15/19
LUCK 10/10
POWER: 20
Equipment: Telessa (sword), Leather Armor, Backpack, Water Flask, Potion of Strength (restores STAMINA to Initial value), Wild Boar's tusks, Antler-horn (12 branches), Elder Tree Branch (22 branches in the tree), Bowl (number "9")
Provisions: 3
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Straight on probably leads us forward, so go left first.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, let's try left.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Um, of course my vote will be to go left. To choose otherwise would be to endorse fascism.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

It's traditional to go left, and in lieu of a better idea...
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You are in a tunnel, heading west. After a while you come to a junction, where there is an extremely solid-looking door to your left. It has no keyhole and looks too tough to barge down, so you turn right. There is a smell of fear in the air.
Oh no, the text just arbitrarily denied us the option to go left, and forced us to turn right! Our quest is surely doomed!
Before long the tunnel is met by another to the right, which is well lit and extends in a straight line as far as you can see. The passage straight ahead, however, is narrow and dark, and has a sign hanging from the roof, which reads simply 'DANGER'. It is a new sign, and has obviously been put up by some of Ishtra's troops. Will you go straight ahead, if you have not done so once before, or right?
Again, we are given no left option, and the text now tries to deter us from taking the only non-right option with the threat of DANGER! What should we do?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Go right, since the DANGER! is where we probably want to go to last.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'm curious about what Ishtra's troops consider dangerous, but I don't mind going right.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Queen of Swords wrote:I'm curious about what Ishtra's troops consider dangerous, but I don't mind going right.
Oh, that's actually a good point. What they consider dangerous might be really useful to us. I'll change to going straight ahead.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Hmmm. Go the fascist route by going right, or go straight ahead and risk the sign's 'DANGER'? Given that the option hints of a non-lethal end with the "if you have not done so" clause, I vote to go straight ahead, and choose the 'DANGER' over turning fascist.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

So, the direction that isn't right is marked with danger. It's like they knew what we'd be reading into this.

Run into danger!
Queen of Swords
Prince

Oh good, we get to see what the danger is!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You think that whatever Ishtra's troops find so dangerous might be of interest to you. Of course, it might also be equally dangerous to you! You walk slowly along the tunnel, to let your eyes get accustomed to the gloom. You have not gone far when, in the dim light from the tunnels behind you, you see a barred entrance to a cave. You notice it because you have just triggered some secret catch in the ground, which has opened the door in the bars. Immediately, the Banshee which was imprisoned inside leaps through the door. You are not misled by its resemblance to an ancient hag; its claws alone tell you that this undead creature can fight, and it is uttering one of its notorious screams. Roll two dice. If the total is less than or equal to your SKILL, turn to 102; if it is greater than your SKILL, turn to 140.
Fortunately, with our SKILL of 12, we can't roll higher than that score on 2 dice.
You manage to resist the petrifying wail of the Banshee, and before it reaches you, you have your weapon ready to fight it. You are fortunate that its long imprisonment has made it a less formidable foe than others of its kind: it is weak, and although it continues to shriek, the screams have no effect on you.

BANSHEE SKILL 9 STAMINA 8

If you win, you could see if the Banshee's cavern leads anywhere, or you could return to the junction and head east.
COMBAT LOG:
Banshee 17, DVS 23. Banshee is at 6.
Banshee 17, DVS 18. Banshee is at 4.
Banshee 13, DVS 19. Banshee is at 2.
Banshee 17, DVS 19. Banshee is defeated.
Thus far, DVS has actually mostly been doing better in combat since entering Ishtra's lair!

Visit the Banshee's home or not?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

See if the cavern leads anywhere.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

My vote is to see if the Banshee's cavern leads anywhere, as DVS cannot afford to pass up any loot to be found there.
Last edited by JourneymanN00b on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Check out the banshee's stuff.