General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

OSSR: Swashbuckling Adventures Campaign Setting Ruleboox

Post by deaddmwalking »

Spoilers below for size.

Swashbuckling Adventures: Campaign Setting Rulebook

The year is 2002. Both the 3.5 revision to the d20 rules and the surprisingly successful movie Pirates of the Carribean: the Curse of the Black Pearl remain a year in the future. But despite the fantasy-medieval trappings of D&D, loads of players enjoy an age of sail adventure or two.

Which also means nobody has gotten absolutely sick of Captain Jack Sparrow yet, either
Two hundred years from the world of high fantasy, a different kind of world exists: where daring musketeers fight injustice in the name of the king, bold pirates claim riches with a blast of grapeshot, and matters of honor are settled at the end of a blade. It is the world of Errol Flynn and Alexandre Dumas, the world of Captain Blood and the Count of Monte Cristo. It is the world of swashbuckling…and now, it is open to you.

Learn what it means to seek hidden treasure, to plot terrible revenge, to protect the innocent with nothing more than a quick tongue and a quicker sword. Sail with daring privateers in search of fabulous riches, plunder the wealthy as a charming highwayman, or thwart dastardly villains as one of the famous musketeers. From the halls of power where noble courtiers plot endless intrigue, to the wharfside docks where vicious sailors will kill you for your boots, it’s all waiting between these covers.

Welcome to Swashbuckling Adventures!
I admit it, I’m in based on the premise
The book itself is hardbound with 256 numbered pages, published by AEG (Alderac Entertainment Group). The primary authorship is credited to Erik-Jason Yaple with a dozen additional writing credits (including Mike Mearls!!!), 4 editors, ten play testers (one of whom was an editor, but mostly it looks like that’s their sole contribution) and various layout designers, artists and cartographers.

Let’s get started!

On the inside covers (front and back) is a world map (Théah) and like the name itself it’s very much real-world Earth with the names scrambled around. There are some Scandanvian countries in the far North, Avalon where England would be, Montaigne represents France, Eisen represents Germany, Castille represents Spain, Ussura represents Russia, The Empire of the Crescent Moon represents Turkey/Arabian peninsula/the Entire Middle East, and Cathay represents China/Far East. The only country that’s not immediately obvious to me by looking at it is Vodacce – I would assume Italy or Greece, but it’s squeezed in between Castille and the Empire of the Crescent Moon. Curiously, there’s a river that completely bisects the continent on the east/west axis from sea to sea; all of the countries border it (except Cathay which is mostly across the sea.
Oh yeah, pictures are worth a thousand words. Here you go.

This is a by-the-numbers early d20 book, so nothing surprising about the layout per the table of Contents.

We’ve got:

Introduction
Chapter 1 – Races and Nationalities (7 pages)
Chapter 2 – Character Classes (33 pages)
Chapter 3 – Prestige Classes (81 pages)
Chapter 4 – Feats and something called Arcana (29 pages)
Chapter 5 – Equipment (10 pages)
Chapter 6 – Wondrous Items (18 pages)
Chapter 7 – Miscellaneous Rules like bombs and ship to ship combat (15 pages)
Chapter 8 – Secret Societies (4 pages)
Chapter 9 – Setting information (29 pages)
Appendix (16 pages)

I think it’s a bit of an odd choice to start in with things like races and classes without knowing more about the setting, but that’s the choice they made, so I feel obligated to follow their example.

Introduction
The introduction is one column of fiction about a Zorro-esque character cinematically fighting a group of swordsmen, a noble with a pistol, and a squad of musketeers. The types of things described are generally impossible with the action economy of d20 – he stabs someone, leaps to a table, smashes someone’s nose in, disarms someone, kicks someone, throws a sword, rides a rope up to an upper floor as a chandelier crashes down when FINALLY attacks from the enemy happen, but none of them hit before he escapes out the window. The book promises it’ll deliver this in a ‘modular’ format that’s not tied to a single world suitable for incorporating into your standard fantasy game or helping you with historical gaming. But we’ve got to earn our fun, right? Let’s look at Nationalities.

Chapter 1: Nationalities
All the races of Théah are humans and the standard human racial package opens the chapter. The fact that each nation is supposed to map directly to a real-world culture is made explicit. The cultural descriptions aren’t very detailed – enough for a very superficial description of a character. In terms of crunch, each nationality loses 2 of a human’s normal 4 bonus skill points at 1st level and are given two skills that are a class skill (regardless of what classes they take). Admiral Ackbar, what do you think?
If you were planning on playing a class with access to a particular skill, there’s no benefit to choosing a nationality that also gives that skill – you’d be down 2 skill points with nothing to show for it. If you were planning on playing a class without normal access to that skill, it might help if the skill was valuable. So let’s see what you get.

If you’re from Avalon (whether English, Irish, or Scottish), you get Gather Information and Knowledge (Sidhe) as class skills. They did tell us that Sidhe are faeries in the description of the country, but what that does for us has to wait. Castillians (Spanish, but also the seat of the Vatican) get Knowledge (religion) and Sense Motive. The Crescent Empire get Balance and Ride (and that’s true whether you’re a city-dweller, a desert raider or part of a harem).
OH! I get it now!
Montaigne (French) get Bluff and diplomacy, while the Ussurans (Russians) get Knowledge (nature) and Wilderness Lore. The Nordic lands are divided by a group called the Vendel which are mercantile sort of like the Dutch, but they’re in conflict with the Vestenmannavnjar who are traditionalists. Even though they’re of the same ‘race’, they’re culturally distinct. The Vendel get Appraise and Bluff, while the Vestenmmanjar have Intimidate and Sense Motive. Voddace turns out to be mostly Italy – but the main cultural center is the islands well south of the mainland. It’s a super-Venice with all kinds of political backstabbing. Voddace get Bluff and Sense Motive.

The last group is ‘others’. They’re from one of these countries, but they’ve cut ties so completely that they get the normal skill allotment and no bonus skills.

Within the descriptions of nationalities there’s a description of styles for unmarried women versus married women. As far as explicit descriptions of gender roles, it’s generally unfavorable to women. For example:
In Vodacce, only noblewomen are gifted with sorcery. These “Fate Witches” are able to forsee future events, and sometimes alter them. They can tell when someone will die, from what direction the threat will come, who is paying the assassin, and what emotions he feels towards the victim. To handicap these frightening abilities, noble women are kept illiterate and powerless, controlled by their husbands, brothers and fathers.
I think there’s a lot to unpack there.
Image And I will, but maybe I’ll save it for the last section when we talk about the ‘gazetteer’ style entries later.

But I will talk about skills!

Giving someone more class skills but not more skill ranks doesn’t encourage them to take those skills. This was pretty clear from the release of 3.0 – a ‘knowledge domain’ cleric gets a lot of extra class skills, but with 2 + Int skill points and the need to prioritize other skills like Concentration and Knowledge [religion], you don’t see Knowledge Domain clerics actually knowing anything. The fact that skills in 3.x generally work for low-level characters is a good thing, but skill ranks have ALWAYS been too stingy (and of course, accounting for class/cross-class skills was always a problem – especially if creating higher level characters). The fact that a Rogue 1/Fighter 1 and a Fighter 1/Rogue 1 were VASTLY different was a major problem.

If you’re creating a 3.x system, and you want people from a particular region to be known as good at telling lies, or being good at Diplomacy, sure, making it a class-skill is the LEAST you can do. But seriously, just give them free ranks or a fixed bonus. If everyone from Vodacce gets 4 ranks in Bluff/Sense Motive in addition to their normal skill points, it would support the ‘stereotype’. As it is, very few characters are going to bother putting ranks into these skills just because they COULD.

Next up: Character Classes.
-This space intentionally left blank
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Was there a popular Conan d20 at that time? The race/culture skillpoint thing seems very similar.

Curious on how they do no armor and guns. A lot of 3e swashbuckler design space is eaten up by "Here's your AC equivalent to a fighter in armor"
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

You haven't mentioned it, so I will: this is a d20 conversion of AEG's 7th Sea RPG/CCG setting, just as there was a d20 conversion of their Legend of the Five Rings RPG/CCG setting in the 3e Oriental Adventures.

7th Sea had some intriguing bits, but was generally not very good. The nations were cartoonish unreasoning mashups of over 1000 years of history with almost no sense of context for events. The dominant religion had a pseudo-Catholic/Protestant split, and I was never able to find out what the points of disagreement between them even were. Also, there was no equivalent to the New World, and so no reason to sail out of sight of land.

Also, the system was a catastrofail, so even if the d20 version is not good, it is still probably an improvement.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

OgreBattle wrote:Was there a popular Conan d20 at that time? The race/culture skillpoint thing seems very similar.
Conan d20 didn't come out until 2004, looks like (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan:_Th ... aying_Game). I don't know if there was an early sword & sorcery hack for d20.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:You haven't mentioned it, so I will: this is a d20 conversion of AEG's 7th Sea RPG/CCG setting, just as there was a d20 conversion of their Legend of the Five Rings RPG/CCG setting in the 3e Oriental Adventures.
This is correct - 7th Sea was a Collectible Card Game; this was an attempt to release it as an RPG using the d20 rules. Apparently there was an earlier 7th Sea RPG using something other than d20, but I haven't read it. I might go looking for it for funsies. I do have the 7th Sea Compendium (written by Jennifer and John Wick).
Who guessed that he retired from assassinations to write gaming books?
angelfromanotherpin wrote: 7th Sea had some intriguing bits, but was generally not very good. The nations were cartoonish unreasoning mashups of over 1000 years of history with almost no sense of context for events.
This is also true and I should have stressed this more. Montaigne (France) was a decadent society dominated by nobles, similar to France under Louis the XVI, but is now under a Revolutionary government (a la The Terror), but a king sent his most able General to invade Ussura (a la the Napoleonic era). They had also invaded Castille and dominated large parts of it until recently, but now they're mostly back to their original borders. Nothing has mentioned Montaigne having invaded THROUGH Eisen, and Montaigne and Ussura don't share a border, so there's a lot of history that I'm missing.

There was a 'War of the Cross' which was hard on Eisen, and that's likely a reference to The Thirty Years' War, but everything has been thrown in a blender and I don't have my bearings yet. My hope is that things will become clear by the time I finish the book.

If not, I have 10 other books in the series that might tell me more. I just don't want to complain about not getting 400,000 years of history that doesn't matter AT ALL.
angelfromanotherpin wrote: The dominant religion had a pseudo-Catholic/Protestant split, and I was never able to find out what the points of disagreement between them even were. Also, there was no equivalent to the New World, and so no reason to sail out of sight of land.
One of those books I have is Islands of Gold which APPEARS to be an attempt to create a New World.
angelfromanotherpin wrote: Also, the system was a catastrofail, so even if the d20 version is not good, it is still probably an improvement.
I'm not sure how I feel about that. I get the sense that they're going to TRY to prove you wrong.

:popcorn:
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

There was a second edition of 7th Sea released as a Kickstarter in 2016, but as far as I can tell nothing since. The first edition made enough of a splash to get noticed despite its many flaws; the second going nowhere is a bad sign. Though I'd never heard of this d20 edition.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

deaddmwalking wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about that. I get the sense that they're going to TRY to prove you wrong.
Probably. The last time I looked at an AEG d20 product, I got the sense that they didn't really get 3e. A lot of the content was obviously untested first draft material. At the same time, they will have to work pretty hard to beat a game that included pyromancy, but not rules for fire.
amethal
Apprentice

Post by amethal »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Also, there was no equivalent to the New World, and so no reason to sail out of sight of land.
I'm not very familiar with 7th Sea, but I was aware the nations were basically proxies for European countries. I'd always assumed there was a New World bit as well.

It had never occurred to me that someone would do a swashbuckler game without it.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You can do a good swashbuckler setting without the New World, but it would draw a lot more from the Three Musketeers side and a lot less from the pirate side. Unfortunately, 7th Sea was pretty heavily committed to the pirates, so the lack of New World was a gaping setting hole. The Midnight Archipelago was a makeup-test addition to try to plug the hole, but it came out very late in the game's life and was too important an element to try to retcon in after like a dozen books never mentioned it.

2nd edition just had a New World from the get-go, which I assume works better, but I haven't looked at it.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Character Classes

The classes section is divided into two main sections – the first tells you how to use (or NOT USE) existing base classes, while the other section provides a host of NEW base classes.
The first and most important question you need to consider is whether magic plays a heavy role in your swashbuckling game.
Image No surprise – they suggest magic does NOT.
Thus the following character classes do not exist in that world: cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard. Other classes that cast spells such as ranger and bard, must use the non-magical variants presented below
The non-magical version of the Bard gets an increased HD (d8), the ability to wear medium armor, keeps bardic music and in place of spells gains ‘Iron Glare’. Iron Glare lets you spend a full action to POTENTIALLY make an opponent take no actions on their turn. It’s an Intimidate check.
I call this one Blue Steel
The non-magical version of the Paladin still gets lay on hands, remove disease and a special mount. Sure, they lose on the actual spells they get, but Paladins never have a good chance to cast those spells anyway, so it’s really not such a loss. They get a ‘religious fury’ which lets them add Charisma modifier to attack/damage against unbelievers. Even though this setting wants everyone to worship a monotheistic Christian deity, clearly the path to ultimate power as a Paladin is to worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster so you can use this ability on everyone else.
Silly? Maybe. Effective? Yes. Why don’t these books understand that they need to provide MECHANICAL INCENTIVES that work with the desired Fluff instead of constantly putting them at cross-purposes.
Considering that among the new classes the Witch gets cure light wounds at 5th level, and the alchemist doesn’t get that but gets cure moderate wounds at 7th level, a ‘non-magical Paladin’ is actually one of the better options for reliably healing.

I’m compelled to skip ahead. Under ‘new uses for old skills’, there are no expansions to what the Heal skill does. There’s a feat that you can take (requirement Heal 8 ranks) that gives +1d3 hit points when you administer first aid to restore someone to consciousness and increases rate of healing with full day rests. Since there are rules about called shots and losing limbs, players are going to spend a lot of time nursing injuries.
Okay, my fault for complaining about the crunch not supporting the fluff. Why does it only work for BAD things?
The non-magical ranger has a healing ability that works overnight. A DC 5 per +1d6 points of healing (ie, DC 10 for 2d6, DC 15 for 3d6) Wilderness Check (requiring one hour) lets the Ranger find an herb that can help heal someone.
Pretty sure I know where that came from
Barbarians, Fighters, Monks, and Rogues are sort of allowed ‘as is’. Fighters get ‘Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Firearms’ for free.
”Monks” wrote: Martial Arts are completely unheard of it [sic] most swashbuckling movies and books. The core character class presents a poor fit for most games, unless you are comfortable injecting a character from a distant, exotic land into your campaign.
Oy vey!

Okay, I’ve got to rant a little bit about this. Sure, the monk as an Asian-flavored enlightened martial artist may not be a perfect fit, but martial arts UNHEARD OF in a swashbuckling game? I beg to differ. Everybody in a swashbuckling game should get a bunch of monk abilities for free – the reason why people shouldn’t play monks is that everyone should get Improved Trip, Slow Fall, Deflect Arrows (not for firearms) and things like that. Even unarmed strike makes sense. Evasion? Sure, give it to EVERYBODY! If you want swashbuckling adventures, you have to give people SWASHBUCKLING ABILITIES. Things last fast movement and leaping to or from high places ENCOURAGE the type of cinematic combat they’re striving for. I can promise you that if you play this setting ‘as written’, you still end up in a situation where the best option for most characters is to walk up to someone and full attack every round. If your choices are attacking 2x for damage or attempting a disarm and attacking once, most people will opt for the 2x damage – especially if the opponent has a second weapon they can draw. A setting like this really needed to consider giving people extra actions that could ONLY be used for stunts from low-levels if that’s the type of game they wanted. Let me quote from the opening fiction…
In a flash, Luis vaulted across the distance between them, launching a swift kick at Gordon’s firing arm. The pistol discharged into the air, shattering the gorgeous mirror which hung on the wall. Luis bounded onto the nearby table, easily parrying the guards’ weapons. He smashed his hilt into the nearest brute’s nose, hearing the satisfying crunch of bone and cartilage. Another guard hopped onto the table to face him. With a quick riposte, Luis slashed the man’s swordarm; the blade went flying and the Castillian deftly caught it in his off-hand. Another blow knocked the man off the table, crashing into his compatriots with a thud… Another squad charged through the door, these carrying muskets. They leveled their guns at the interloper, intending to dispatch him with a single volley. Luis hurled his spare rapier in a pried spinning motion, sending the gunmen diving for cover. The weapon sliced neatly through a nearby rope, loosening the chandelier hanging above the great hall. He grasped the line with his free hand as the wrought iron device came crashing down, allowing the momentum to pull him towards the second-floor balcony. Musket shots followed him all the way up, the bullets whistling a hair’s breadth from his chest. He kicked out his legs and caught the balcony railing. Sheathing his sword, he dove out the hall…
The only thing I cut was the ‘witty dialogue’ in the middle. Imagining this fight AS DESCRIBED seems entirely appropriate for a cinematic swashbuckling adventure. But when you put it into d20 terms, unless characters get special abilities that allow them to stun enemies by throwing swords or dodge bullets, the fight would have instead ended with Luis dying a hail of gunfire.
Which can be a great ending for a story, but not EVERY adventure
Now look what this book made me do – defending MONKS!!!

Let’s move on and talk about the new classes.

Alchemist
There are a bunch of alchemist classes that have been released. I have no idea if this is the first one but I doubt it. In any case, the class is a ½ BAB d6 HD class with good Fort and Will saves. They brew potions with effects of up to 4th level spells. They gain access to first level spells at level 3 (but not cure light wounds), 2nd level spells at 7th level, 3rd level spells at 11th, and 4th level spells at 15th. An alchemist essentially prepares these as ‘spells known’ daily, but they’re in potion form and transferable. They must be remade after 24-hours (which at least does encourage people to use them and not hoard them). In addition to these daily spells, the Alchemist is able to brew potions as if they were a Wizard or Cleric of a level equal to the Alchemists level, eventually being able to brew potions of 9th level spells (at 20th character level). Brewing potions costs gold and XP, but it gets access to most spells… The ability isn’t explained well, so I may be misunderstanding. At 3rd level they gain Brew Potion as an ability, and at 5th level they get Brew Potion (4th level spells). It doesn’t explicitly say they have the ability to brew 1st, 2nd and or 3rd level spells. I think what they meant was that you could access spells as if you were a wizard or cleric equal to your Alchemist level (ie, a 5th level Alchemist should have access to 3rd level spells from any school). Maybe there’s an errata somewhere. The alchemist also gets the ability to improve metal items (making them masterwork and providing a +1 damage bonus) and at 20th level to turn lead (or other metals) to gold. It takes a long time… If you’re turning 100 gp of lead into 500 gp of gold, you make an Alchemy check the way you would a Craft check. Let’s assume that you have 23 ranks, and a +5 bonus for a skill of +28. If you take 10, you get a 38 versus a DC of 35. Per the craft rules, you multiple the check by the DC (38x35=1330). In order to complete the item, you need to accumulate successes until you equal the item’s cost in SP (5000). That means you need to spend 4 weeks to make 500 gold. At 20th level, I would expect you have better options for making that kind of money…
Actually, at that point, you shouldn’t CARE about money – other than as something to swim through.
Assassin
Assassins can’t be good. It isn’t smart to be evil, because then you can’t travel with a Paladin. And since Paladins can provide healing, you probably want to maintain that as an option. As far as the class goes, it gets virtually everything the 3.0 Rogue gets. They have the same BAB, same saves, same Sneak Attack Progression, fewer skills and don’t get the evasion track. Instead, they get Poison Use, a Death Attack at 2nd level (requires 3 rounds, can be used to paralyze or kill). With a small blade they get a bonus (up to +5 on on critical threat range at 20th level – under 3.0 rules, that could stack in multiple ways… They get an ability that lets them use Sneak Attacks with ranged weapons outside of the normal range increment. As far as a rogue replacement with less trap-finding, it can work. There’s no access to Use Magic Device, so they’re not going to do the fun things that a normal rogue can do.
Not this one, but hey, points for trying.
Courtier
If you want to combine all the stereotypes of a lawyer and a member of government bureaucracy, this class is for you! It’s a ½ BAB with good Will save with 10+ skill points per level. All of the character abilities are geared toward social interaction. Breaking Diplomacy by stacking synergy bonuses and feats is pretty easy, but that’s about all this class seems good for.

Highwayman
Side rant here – a highwayman is one of those ‘occupation’ titles that doesn’t mean very much. Bandit, robber, raider, mugger, brigand, freebooter, outlaw, desperado – anyone can read a thesaurus. If you’re playing a member of a CLASS we expect to find you in all kinds of places. The fluff says as much. All of the abilities are related to shooting people with pistols or muskets – why not sharpshooter, or Pistol Duelist? In any case, I’ll admit that the abilities are pretty crappy. At 18th level, when someone is flat-footed you can treat the attack as automatic threat. If you’re trying to hurt someone, having sneak attack would be good, but you don’t. You’ll get your Pistol Damage (1d10) plus your Dexterity damage (let’s say +5 knowing that this is low magic) x3 for something like 33 points of damage. At that point the Assassin has +9d6 damage (31 average), a +4 on the critical threat range, and the base weapon damage on top. Since you don’t get full attacks with firearms, I don’t know why anyone would choose this class on purpose.
Unless you just really like the idea of robbing carriages and can’t stand to do it if your class doesn’t explicitly tell you that you can?
Okay, I know you were expecting this since its next alphabetically, but I had to try.
Inquisitor
The inquisitor is a ¾ BAB class with good Fort/Will (like a Cleric). At virtually every level they get to choose from a list of special abilities; options include Fighter Bonus Feats, extra skills, sneak attack, super-strength for a round. There’s really no reason that any two Inquisitors would actually look alike – there’s actually nothing that makes this a CLASS except automatic support by the Vatacine church when you get high enough level.
Too late
Music for this section is All for Love (sung by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, and Sting).

Musketeer
When you hear the term Musketeer, what do you imagine? Someone who has a musket? Maybe a pistol? And of course a sword, too, right? Forget the musket and forget the pistol – they think a musketeer is a swordsman first and last. You get some rapier abilities and you get bonus feats (8 over the levels between 4th and 20th, with a strange gap at 10th. Despite the flavor of the class talking about ‘dazzling fencing displays’ that begins and ends with Expertise with the Rapier.
Let’s face it – anything would have been a disappointment compared to this.
Noble
This class gets the updated bards Iron Glare ability at the same levels, bonuses to Leadership, and some social interaction feats. For reasons that I don’t pretend to understand many social interaction bonuses are exclusively in regard to members of the other sex, regardless of sexual orientation or species (though I guess the presumption is that everyone is human). Still, as written, you can use Seduction to get a +2 bonus on Handle Animal checks with a mount of the opposite gender… Maybe they should have not called it seduction and just let it apply universally?
I bet they did it on purpose.
Four more classes to cover next time – the Pirate, Spy, Tinker, Tailor, Swashbuckler, and Witch.
Okay, I made two of those up.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

deaddmwalking wrote:
The first and most important question you need to consider is whether magic plays a heavy role in your swashbuckling game.
No surprise – they suggest magic does NOT.
What the actual fuck? This book specifically uses the Theah setting, and magic absolutely plays a heavy role in that game. And yet now that I look at the pdf there are no classes or even prestige classes for the sorcerous bloodlines. Apparently they saved that for the Swashbuckling Arcana book later on. Why put setting-defining content in the main book when you can use that space for Alchemists and Highwaymen and a prestige class for every fucking indistinguishable swordsmanship school?
Musketeer
When you hear the term Musketeer, what do you imagine? Someone who has a musket? Maybe a pistol? And of course a sword, too, right? Forget the musket and forget the pistol – they think a musketeer is a swordsman first and last.
This is a perfect representation of the Dumas Musketeers. It's almost a running joke in the novels that they barely their nominal signature weapon.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Musketeer
When you hear the term Musketeer, what do you imagine? Someone who has a musket? Maybe a pistol? And of course a sword, too, right? Forget the musket and forget the pistol – they think a musketeer is a swordsman first and last.
This is a perfect representation of the Dumas Musketeers. It's almost a running joke in the novels that they barely their nominal signature weapon.
In the novel, they're not currently fighting a war, and it's hard to use a musket in any manner other than lethally. It's been a long time since I read it, but I feel like there was a throw-away line about some service in the frontier.

I still think that it was a waste to make the Musketeer an entirely rapier based class and the Highwayman effectively a dual-pistol wielding class seems...wrong. Of course, pigeonholing classes this badly is it's own problem - which will become abundantly clear when I start talking about Prestige Classes.....

In any case, dual-wielding pistols didn't become cool until John Woo and Chow Yun Fat made it so.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Pirate
With a skull and cross-bones on the cover, it’s clear that this book wanted to make pirates cool. As I objected before, pirate is really more of an occupation – you should be able to have a CREW of pirates that are all represented by DIFFERENT classes… You don’t expect pirates to all go to the pirate school to learn the basics.
At least, not outside of a scholastic book.
You would expect as may different types of pirates as there are ways of becoming a pirate. And unlike the Inquisitor, where you could potentially have two members of the class with no overlapping abilities, every pirate gets the same abilities. At first level you choose either a combat feat or an animal companion. So if you see someone with an eye patch and a monkey, even if you’re deep in the desert, it’s probably a pirate.
Okay, guess that tracks.
Anyway, it’s a full BAB class with good Fort and Reflex saves. There’s an ability every level, but whenever they couldn’t think of a level they give you ‘Seasoned’ - +2 skill points that can only be spent on Pirate class skills. There’s also ambidexterity, two-weapon fighting, and improved two weapon fighting. And Weapon Specialization and Improved Critical. So once you pull all of that out and look at what’s left you get an ability that lets you add Intelligence Modifier to AC at 4th (even if surprised), a +2 to attack and damage when you’re swinging from a rope (at 12th level!!!), the ability to keep fighting from 0 to -10 hit points (which is an ability that WILL kill you) at 16th, +1d6 damage at 18th, and at 20th level pirates can add their intelligence modifier to weapon damage rolls.
I know that’s what I think of when someone says Pirate
So I’m going to rant on this more later, but this is a Swashbuckling Game. The core rulebook OUGHT to encourage people to swing into combat on ropes, right? But making that a class ability at 12th level doesn’t do that. If you’re not a pirate, or you’re 11th level or lower, why do you want to start combat by swinging in on a rope?
Pirate? Sure. 12th level? I’m a little skeptical.
Spy
The spy is another rogue-like class – same BAB, same save progression, and Sneak Attack. Their major class feature is a harder to penetrate disguise skill. You have alternate personas you can assume. Presumably this will let you maintain a façade as a respectable billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne without anyone connecting you to your vigilante alter-ego, Batman. Unfortunately, it doesn’t keep Batman from being a wanted criminal and virtually every ability has a ‘note, the DM may require’ or allows the DM to classify an action as ‘obvious or blatant’… An example of an ‘obvious or blatant’ action is ‘casting a spell’, which isn’t something this class does, but it is very unclear whether you can discretely stab a fool.

Swashbuckler
Once again, I object to the name of this class, but for different reasons than the last time. If the name of the class is the same as the setting, it kinda implies that it’s the main class. If you had a game called ‘Pirates’ and there was one pirate class, then everyone else isn’t REALLY playing Pirates; if you have a game called ‘Wizard’ and one wizard class and a dozen non-wizard classes, maybe the game isn’t about Wizards? In the books defense, it’s not a good class… It’s a Full BAB class with a good Reflex save. They get class abilities that let them emulate Weapon Finesse, gives them a bonus to AC when wearing light or no armor, add Charisma to attack/damage once per day at 8th level up to 3 times per day at 19th, and they get a few bonus feats. At 4th level, they get a class ability that seems extra terribad to me. You can choose NOT to do Strength damage with your weapon and instead deal 1d4 damage. Allowing Dex instead of STR I could see as a legitimate ability, but this? The class description does reference the New World though – so far it’s the only place I’ve seen it mentioned and it’s not in the Index…

Wanderer
I think there’s only one way to play this class right
The Wanderer selects 12 + Int modifier skills as class skills, and gets Craft, Profession and all Knowledge skills automatically. With 8 skill ranks per level they could do the skill monkey role pretty easily, but they’re not going to be much help in combat. They have the rogue advancement for Evasion and Uncanny Dodge, they get bonus feats from the lamest list of bonus feats ever (Alertness, Dodge, Mobility, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Run, Skill Focus and Toughness). At 18th level they can choose to succeed on a saving throw 1/week without rolling… At 9th level they get to make a skill check with a knowledge skill, even if they don’t have any ranks… If I were playing this class, I’d probably put at least one rank in every knowledge group at 1st level so I could at least ROLL for the first 8 levels of play (in 3.0 it’s trained only).

Witch
The witch is a true spellcasting class (as opposed to the alchemist who gets access to spells but doesn’t actually cast them). The highest level spell a witch can cast is 6th (at 16th level) so the spell casting is very similar to a 3.0 bard. They have hybrid prepared spells/known spells. At 1st level they can cast 4 zero level spells per day and 2 1st level spells; at that point they know 1 zero-level spell. If they prepare 2 zero level spells, they can use the other 2 slots to cast their spontaneous spell. If that sounds complicated, it pretty much is – you’re tracking prepared spells and unused slots – it’d be better to just make them a spontaneous caster. If you leave spell slots open for innate casting, you can’t prepare spells later in those slots unless you rest first. But if you leave the spots open for preparing, but don’t designate them for innate casting, you can’t use them for it…. Screwy, right? Let me quote so you can still not understand.
When preparing spells, a witch may choose to leave any number of spell slots “free” for casting innate seplls (see description to follow). Once the witch has chosen to leave tehse slots open, the witch cannot later use them to prepare specific spells until she has rested for at least eight hours. Like a wizard or sorcerer, a witch may choose to leave slots entirely open (neither free or prepared) so that she can prepare spells at a later time
The witch also gets a new exclusive skill – Manipulate Spell. When you’re casting a spell, you can make a skill check. For every 10 points you succeed on the skill, you get to apply a +1 level metamagic feat (that you know) to that spell. So if you achieve a 30 on a skill check, you’d have 3 levels of metamagic feats you could apply for free – you could choose to maximize the spell. Unfortunately, the skill is specific to each spell. If you want to use it on two of your spells, you have to take the skill twice.

The spell list is more focused than a wizard or sorcerer, but it’s fine – it’s got the spells you probably think of as appropriate for a witch, but not always where you’d expect them. cure light wounds is a 2nd level spell (not 1st) so you don’t get it until 4th level. From the class description:
Théah has a unique form of witch – the Fate Witch – which uses precognitive powers based on inherited blood. These rules can be used to facilitate Fate Witches but more formal rules will appear in the upcoming Magic of Théah Sourcebook.

Burn her anyway
That’s it for classes – the next section is on Prestige Classes. Before I get there, I want to pontificate on why classes are important and what’s good here and what’s bad (mostly what’s bad). ?

For a new player, the class is their primary way of interacting with the game. They have a list of abilities that they can use, and they choose those abilities and they use them. If their abilities are good and they change the game state, they’re going to have fun and keep playing. As you gain levels, you gain more and better abilities, but since you’ve had practice with the lower level abilities, complexity is minimized. If you have smite evil, you know how that works but you probably don’t really know how fireball works – at least, not intimately. You never need to worry about casting the spell, so you can focus on how to use your abilities. When you first start playing, it’s helpful if you can imagine a character from a book or a movie and say ‘I want to be like that’. Typically, someone who’s been playing a while will say ‘If you like Legolas from the movies, you should play a Ranger (focusing on ranged weapons)’. For that to work, classes have to do what they say they do…

These classes don’t really do that. The game is ‘Swashbuckling Adventures’ so if you come in with the idea of playing Captain Blood or Errol Flynn’s Robin Hood it’s not clear which class you should pick. Captain Blood is a pirate, but the Pirate Class doesn’t really give you the tools to emulate the specific character. In fact, none of these classes grant the types of abilities that are described in the opening fiction. I contend that it’s because they made a basic error in assumptions about dividing up class roles.

In a standard D&D game, we talk a lot about stealth, and how it doesn’t work. Even if you have a stealthy character in a party, unless you have a stealthy party, the sneaky character can’t really do sneaky stuff. If you are playing a stealth-based game, every character needs to have basic stealth abilities. Beyond the basics, everybody can get ADDITIONAL special features that let them do other things stemming from stealth. It’s perfectly fine if a Rogue-like character can hide in shadows and deal extra damage from ambush and a wizard-like character can turn invisible but has to use a standard action to maintain it – they’re both going to be able to sneak, but they’ll still PLAY differently.

None of these classes really provide ‘swashbuckling’ abilities. A few of them have pieces, but none of them have the whole package. So here are some thoughts about how we could have gotten there…

First off, this game has made the deliberate choice to make magical healing scarce, especially at low levels. Standard D&D doesn’t really share that assumption. Moreover, standard D&D assumes you can get an AC that makes some attacks miss, especially at low-levels. A standard 3.0 goblin has a +1 attack bonus; it’s not crazy for a 1st level character to have an AC of 16 (+4 Dex and Leather Armor, for instance). But scrolling up in the SRD, a CR 5 Girallon has a +12. If your Dex is still 16 at 5th level, you’re going to take damage virtually every attack. The setting doesn’t want characters to wear heavy armor – but the setting doesn’t provide general abilities that discourage wearing heavy armor. If every character received their Intelligence as a bonus to AC when wearing light/no armor, we’d be moving in the right direction. I can understand why they felt that universal abilities that weren’t in the standard d20 rules was a pretty big change, but the setting ITSELF is a recognition that d20 doesn’t provide the play experience they’re looking for, so it’s insane to expect the play experience to be different WITHOUT changes. Giving 12th level characters a +2 to attack when swinging on a rope doesn’t go nearly far enough.

The next major thing that doesn’t really get addressed is iterative attacks and full actions. If you’re not part of a class that gets extra dice of damage (and really, even if you are) your best chance of winning a fight is hitting something many, many times. Once you’ve closed to melee range, moving away or taking any other action than a full-attack is pointless. To encourage ‘swashbuckling’, they needed to discourage full attacks and give people actions that they can use for stunts. Imagine that if instead of iterative attacks, you received a ‘bonus move action’ instead. Now you can’t stab someone 3 times with a BAB of +11, but you could run up the stairs, jump to the chandelier, swing in and THEN attack. Even that wouldn’t go far enough – because once you’re in melee, the consequences of leaving tend to be an AoO and taking damage that you can’t easily heal.

Making changes to what provokes and how the action economy works and what are ‘universal abilities’ in the setting might be more difficult and ambitious than this book was willing to consider being, but without it players and the DM just have to add descriptive flair that doesn’t do anything… If that were easy to do, they could have done it without this book.

Next up are Prestige Classes… There are a lot of them and I’m not sure how much detail I’ll go into. I definitely have some objections to how they present/use Prestige Classes…
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Prestige Classes
This chapter is laid out in a somewhat unusual way. There is a section on ‘universal prestige classes’, then sections for 6-10 nation specific Prestige Classes. Prestige Classes were something of an experiment when 3.0 was released – tucked into the DMG it wasn’t really a strong commitment, but it turned out to be really popular. While there were ways to customize characters with selections for race, feats, skills and equipment, having a ‘custom class’ was really appealing to a lot of players. Creating a custom class that you can qualify for and then take levels in has some structural problems that this book doesn’t address or fix – it’s not unique to this book, but I think it’s still a valid criticism. First off, requirements for a prestige class disrupt organic character growth – people make choices in order to qualify for a class instead of what they would otherwise think is appropriate. Since you can enter a prestige class at a variety of points – you could take your first level at 6th or at 18th, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get level-appropriate abilities when you should. What Prestige Classes needed to be were a set of ‘extra abilities’ that layer on top of your existing class. That is, instead of +1 Level of Spellcasting, you should take a level of ‘Wizard’ with special abilities from the kit you qualified for. Instead, the Prestige Class replaces your existing class which usually means overlap, but not always.

The ‘universal’ prestige classes are the Archaeologist, Boarding Marine, Buccanneer, Captain, Daring Fool, Entertainment Officer, Field Surgeon, Helmsman, Man of Will, Master Gunner, Midshipman, Naval Marine, Reis, Rogers Swordsman, Saboteur, Ship’s Chaplain, and Topman. Roughly half of those are ‘sailor’ prestige classes which seems a little strange – you’d expect a ship to primarily consist of ‘sailors’ who might be experts but aren’t really adventurers, and unless you’re running a pirate company, you probably don’t need a character to be a Topman and another as a Helmsman. Making every NPC a ‘specialist’ is more work than you should need to do… And if they’re for players, they should be worthwhile…

The archaeologist gets some interesting abilities regarding knowledge checks, luck bonus to saves, and evasion type abilities. Adding these abilities to a rogue chasis would be good; replacing your rogue levels with this isn’t. Buccaneers are designed around everyone taking the class – the more people around you with the class the more you can use your abilities; if you’re the only player taking this class you can’t use any of the abilities.
It’s not like there aren’t geeks who want to explore ruins and also show they’re smarter than everyone else
The captain is a generic military officer. They can make tactic checks that give a untyped bonus to attack/damage/AC similar to a morale bonus to their allies. The Daring Fool gets a luck pool each round that they can use to apply bonuses to rolls, or burn for effects. While the specific implementation isn’t good, taking something like this as a universal mechanic might help toward creating a swashbuckling feel. The Entertainment Officer is a combination Ships Counselor (like Deana Troi from Star Trek Next Generation) and has the ability to agro enemies to make them attack him. A Field Surgeon is a class you can qualify for as early as 3rd level (ie, a 2nd level character could take their 3rd level as a Field Surgeon). Their ‘special abilities’ end up working out to the ability to buy potions of healing wherever they are – they’re making them, but they cost as much as buying them normally. A Helmsman interacts with the ship-piloting rules – they get bonuses to ship-to-ship combat rolls. A Man of Will is a class you could qualify for starting at 2nd level. At 3rd level in the class (4th level character) you can become immune to all mind-affecting magic (even illusions). If you were planning on a martial character, it’s likely worth the dip…

The Master Gunner and Midshipman are both supposed to interact with the ship combat rules. Having a Master Gunner is really good for ship combat, but Midshipmen get abilities that every character should have. A Naval Marine is a sharpshooter class.

Reis is a singular person, and like Wesley in Princess Bride, you can assume his mantle. Unlike Wesley, you have to kill the man who currently wears it. If you do, you gain abilities that make people afraid and let you kill those people more effectively.
The fun of being the Dread Pirate Roberts wasn’t actually in doing Dread Pirate stuff…
Of course, if you want to pull of Wesley, you also need to know how to fence, and you don’t get that from the Reis prestige class. For that you want the Rogers Swordman. That class reprints the full text of a feat (later in the book) that you get access to.

A Saoteur gets sneak attack and can arm/disarm explosives. A ship’s chaplain is a cleric style prestige class. You can’t qualify before 6th level, but you get 5 levels of spells over 10 levels (up to 5th). I’m not sure how I feel about this – this a prestige class that gives you full access to the cleric spell list and domains, but you can’t just take it at 1st level. So you can ‘really believe’ and begin a career as a cleric at 6th level, but you can’t ‘really believe’ and start a career as a cleric at 1st level. Either way, spells and casting flame strike are in the setting, so it doesn’t seem consistent with the settings assumptions.
Image Finally, the Topman gets more abilities that anyone should be able to do with a ‘Profession: Sailor’ check if you actually wanted to make sailing a major feature of the game.

Prestige Classes of Avalon
We get Andrew’s Swordsman (defense focused fencing class) followed by Champion of the Lady of the Lake (a single individual in the entire world wielding an artifact sword). There’s nothing about this class that couldn’t have been incorporated into the sword as a ‘Weapon of Legacy’ style mechanic, but if you had made the poor decision to be a Fighter, this class is an upgrade. The Donovan Swordsman is a buckler style with no useful abilities. A Finnegan Boxer is an Avalon version of a monk – they fight with unarmed strikes that increase to 1d10 damage over the 5 levels. Since you could do 1d10 damage at 1st level with a weapon, this isn’t a good choice – it’s also probably racist against the Irish as the capstone ability is ‘Fights Better Drunk’.
But I know people who want this character in their game. I don’t know any who want to PLAY this character, but they’d be willing to DATE him for sure
The Goodfellow Archer gets increased range, damage, and critical threat range with a box. The Knight of Elaine is a membership organization that gives you Aura of Good, bonuses to saves, and men you can command. The MacDonald Swordsman gets to take a penalty on attack rolls for a bonus to critical threat range (ie, -5 to attack for +5 threat range) usable with big Claymores. Image
I do know people who want to play this guy
The last Avalon specific prestige class is the Robertson Swordsman and gives you class abilities that make your cloak a shield and let you use it to entrap weapons. Once again, this is something that I think they should just encourage folks to do to be ‘swashbucklers’.

I’m going to skip ahead 200 pages to the Appendix because they have a section on ‘tips for playing a swashbuckler’. I figure that I might as well figure out what they THINK I ought to be doing so I can use that as a measurement of their success or failure…

Okay – that was disappointing. Don’t wear heavy armor, try to be flashy, and focus on using terrain to your advantage (ie, pulling a rug from under your opponent. Since your opponent is trying to kill you while you’re trying to embarrass them, that doesn’t always work…. Maybe somewhere else they have suggestions to the DM about how to make all the opponents bumbling fools.

Castille Prestige Classes
An Aldana Swordsman can bluff someone to lose one of their attacks, but only if they have 2 or more; getting 3-4 bonus d6s to add to your rolls or AC during combat probably doesn’t do much. The Gallegos Swordsman is based around AoO – you get to make 2 when your opponent provokes; eventually when they miss you they provoke. The Gustavo Horseman appears to be intended to make a full attack after the mount moves, but they worded it incorrectly. The Soldano Swordsman uses two one-handed swords (rather than light swords). The Torres Swordsman is where the Robertson Swordsman was derived from – it comes from bullfighting. Instead of getting a shield bonus, you get Sneak Attack dice. They also have another stupid ability that I need to mock.
Wait For Your Time
At 3rd level, the students become very fast on their feet. At the start of a combat students may declare that they are fighting defensively for the first round and receive a +1d10 bonus to initiative for the rest of the combat.
Once you’ve established turn order, there are other ways to move up or down, but usually it isn’t going to make that much difference – unless you end up going after and then before your opponent and drop them it doesn’t actually change anything. The last prestige class for this section is a whip specialist who can trip with an attack roll (no save, no trip attempt).
Image Crescent Empire Prestige Classes
This section confirms that the Crescent Empire is primarily based on the Ottoman Empire.
The Chosen One is a full caster – you start off with the ability to cast 6th level spells when you achieve your first level in this class. The DM is encouraged to fuck with you by telling you that you’re not REALLY devoted enough to your god to be a chosen one, but if you overcome that hurdle you can be an 8th level character with 6th level cleric spells and get 9th level spells by 15th level.
Looks like I found what I was looking for
A corsair is different from a pirate because he’s found god. No, really.
Though many pirates are fanatically devoted to acquiring wealth, the differences are vast and important. A greedy man will not trade his life for gold, but a corsair will eagerly sacrifice himself for the betterment of his cause. Corsairs possess widely varying skills and come from different backgrounds, but they all share undying love of their deity. They are as unstoppable in combat as their devotion
They can have ANY patron deity and since they can smite infidels, they can smite each other if they don’t worship the same god. It doesn’t say whether it’s okay to worship the same god in the wrong way – ie, if you’re a Corsair on one side of the ‘war of the cross’ can you smite believers from the other side? If you’re using real-world religions, are Allah and Yahweh the same, or different? Once again, you’re strongly incentivized to invent your own religion to ensure you can smite as many people as you want.
Or, if you succeed, you can have other people gather money for you
A Daphan Swordsman probably gets to add half his Intimidate ranks to attack and damage in the first round. There’s an incomplete sentence, so it’s not clear. They also get to break people’s weapons because people didn’t realize that destroying your future treasure was a bad idea yet. The Marikk Katar gets a somersaulting attack, sneak attack, and Deadly Gymnast.
This is not the gymnast you’re looking for
The Sersemlik Swordsman gets to wield a two-handed sword in one-hand; maybe one in each hand. By taking 3 levels in this class you get Whirlwind Attack without having to take other feats. The Vahiy Commander has abilities that apply in skirmish (unit to unit combat). The Yael Swordman “uses the flowing, twirling dances of the East instead of the leaping, bobbing dances of the West”.

Western Dance Fight?

Eisen Prestige Classes
The first prestige class is the Drexel Swordsman, who gets to use a Zweihander in various stances. These stances give you certain bonuses; eventually you get all the stances, but your ‘capstone’ ability is the stance you didn’t want the first three times you made a selection. The Durchsetzungbug Swordsman is a 3-level class that lets you take a penalty to attack to increase your threat range by the same amount. If you were playing an Assassin for 20 levels to get that ability, you’ll feel like a putz when the Prussian swordsman gets that ability at 7th level. The Eisenfaust Swordsman gives you an AOO when people miss you (with all of their attacks) and you can stand around with a total defense to accumulate bonuses to your attack roll – this class’s entire schtick is worse than true strike. A Gelingen Monster Hunter gets Favored Enemy but they call it Favored Prey (but it can’t be a humanoid).
Image The Hopken Crossbowman gets faster crossbow reloading. The Iron Guard is a membership Prestige Class – as you gain levels you automatically command more and more soldiers and earn a stipend. A Loring Panzerhand Fighter gives you some bonuses to Disarm. It also misunderstands the AoO rules; at 5th level you can attempt to Disarm as an attack of opportunity – they didn’t seem to realize that you already COULD have done that without a special ability. The Nibelungen is a master smith that is so important in Eisen society that they’re above the law. A Posen Boar Spear Fighter gets an extra attack from horseback. The Steil Commander get leadership bonuses and give Morale bonuses to their soldiers against fear. The Unabwendbar Commander is another class that makes your units fight better by letting them all share the same attack roll (if it’s good) or rolling independently (if it’s bad).
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

MOAR Prestige Classes – Montaigne Edition

Most of the Prestige Classes presented don’t actually have a Nationality require that you’re a member of a particular nationality. Since the descriptions are generally vague, and you could potentially learn your fighting style from any other wanderer (not Wanderer the class, just wanderer the plain English meaning someone who travels) there’s really no reason to break them out by Nationality. My guess is that they felt a little more free to riff on the same theme if they put it in different categories.

The first is the Boucher Dagger Fighter – since there are other prestige classes that basically give you the same abilities with bigger blades, I don’t know why you’d want this – it looks like carrying a sword everywhere you go is acceptable, so why bother with daggers? The Gaulle Swordsman uses a sword and a ‘triple dagger’ – as long as he has his dagger he can disarm and parry people – why that’s not a function of the weapon and is instead a class ability.

Oh yeah, writing prestige classes is easier than writing equipment descriptions.

The next Prestige class is the Rois et Reines Rifleman. The description is not compelling. “The heavy muskets are not designed to be polearms, and against a group even casually equipped to deal with spears or pikes; the Rois et Reines school is not terribly effective”. This grants increased range with firearms and the ability to ignore penalties to attack. The Tout Pres Fighter is another two-weapon fighting style – if you hit with your off-hand attack the opponent is flat-footed for the primary attack. The Valroux Swordsman is another two-weapon fighting class that’s even more boring; the major class feature is that you are treated as having Expertise and Power Attack without having to take those feats.
Image Ussura Prestige Classes

Bogatyr Hatchet Fighter is a dumb class that gives you a +5 to Intimidate checks as your keystone ability and they can throw axes that don’t normally have a range increment. A Buslayevich Bowman could also be a Mongol archer – you have bonuses to handle your animal, no penalties for firing from horseback, and you can make your steed faster. A Dobrynya Wrestler can hold on really well; when someone stabs you while you grapple, you deal 1d4 points of damage to your opponent. How’s that worth being denied your dexterity and not threatening an area? It’s not until 5th level that your grapple damage is even lethal damage. The Stelet get bonuses to saves against inclement weather, favored enemies, a bonus to damage with axes (1d4) and they have some leadership abilities.

But for some reason only the IRISH get a drinking stereotype?

Vendel Prestige Classes

This section makes it explicit that the Vendel are like the Dutch. Instead of reading the rest of this review, I encourage you to sign into your Netflix account and watch Admiral. It has far more age of sail naval action that you’re going to find here! You’re not afraid of subtitles, are you?

The Larsen Swordsman gets bonuses when he attacks from shadows and eventually gets Darkvision. The Rasmussen Pistoleer fights with two pistols, gets range bonuses, and can add Wisdom to attack/damage sometimes. The Snedig Swordsman is supposed to represent knowledge of anatomy; when you score a critical you do extra damage, but you don’t get any abilities that make you more likely to score a critical; you can also get +4 damage if you don’t take your second attack (or +8 if you also give you your third, etc). The Swanson Swordsman is another anti-swashbuckling class; you get a +2 Dodge bonus if you don’t move.

No, seriously, this movie is pretty decent and helps explain the Dutch of the period much better than a Wikipedia article

Vestenmannavnjar Prestige Classes

How does it make sense that you have medieval Vikings in the Renaissance? Rule of COOL, baby!

Oh yeah – Vikings!
First up is the Haldansson Harpoon Fighter. When they score a critical hit with a harpoon, instead of dealing extra damage, they can choose to have the target impaled. What’s a little strange is that the text says they can forgo ‘double damage’, but harpoon is a x3 critical weapon (it’s in this book as a new weapon). Being impaled gives you ‘a -5 to all your DCs’, but that’s somewhat vague. The capstone ability is ‘you add your strength to your spear when thrown’. I thought you ALREADY added strength, and it doesn’t say ‘add it AGAIN’ or anything like that. I haven’t played 3.0 for a long time but I’m going to assume that they’re wrong.

The Kjemper Swordsman uses a bastard sword and a round shield and focuses on breaking the opponent’s weapons. A requirement for entry is that you have the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword. One of your first level special abilities after taking this class is Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword.

The Leegstra Berserker is supposed to be preternaturally tough and hit hard when they hit. At 3rd level they can reduce one attack per day from a humanoid to zero and at 5th level they get an addition x2 crit multiplier (ie, a x3 Greataxe because x5). Siggursdottir Axeman throw an axe then fight with two axes. It’s really not any different than any other two-weapon school we’ve seen except it’s for axes instead of daggers or light blades or rapiers.

This is my go-to when I want to throw axes
Sympathetic Healers transfer hit point damage to themselves. When you heal someone, you roll a die (say a d12) for how much you heal them, then roll it again to see how much damage you take. So you could heal 1 point of damage and take 12, or heal 12 and take 1. Eventually the ‘damage dice’ you take are reduced by 1 step per level; if you heal a d12 you take d10; then d8, then d6. That’s way more work than it should be; at the very least you should roll the die and get DR against the transfer (ie, rolling 1d12 w/ DR 5 is close enough to rolling a d4 that it doesn’t matter). An Urostifter Swordsman is a two-weapon fighter using longswords instead of axes or any of the other weapons we’ve seen. Next up: Vestenmannavnjar Bearsarker

Rawr

This is another berserker class where you’re almost certainly going to die because being allowed to fight while at negative hit points doesn’t mean very much; the fact that death is codified as occurring at -10 minus your Constitution modifier (a common houserule to reduce how often someone goes from 3 hit points to dead anyway). Otherwise, you get more rages per day than a standard Barbarian. Since you can start taking levels in this prestige class at 4th level, you could have 4 rages a day at 6th level (instead of 2 as a berserker). Or you could take levels in the Vesten Raider – they also get Bearserk Rage and 2nd/5th/8th level, but they get a barbaric yawp at 1st level.
My friends and I thought this was great fun in high school

The Raider gets a Warcry that gives opponents a -2 morale penalty (no save) and other Vesten a +2 morale bonus. They also get a host of other ways to interact with Rage; at 2nd level they can grant themselves a bonus to STR/CON equal to their class level; at 7th level they can take Int/Wisdom penalties to boost strength, and eventually gets an AoO whenever someone hits him. With a couple of movement abilities thrown in, this doesn’t make too bad a ‘pounce warrior’.

I was excited because I was SURE Vodacce was the end of this section alphabetically, but there are ‘miscellaneous’ Prestige Classes following this.

Vodacce Prestige Classes

The Ambrogia Swordsman holds their sword in their left hand and their dagger in their right. Somehow that gives you the ability to choose to take damage when you hit your opponent to deal extra damage. If your opponent misses you at 5th level with their primary attack, they’re considered flat-footed against you. Since you don’t get Sneak Attack, you pretty much don’t care. The Bernoulli Swordsman uses a scimitar; they get a +2 armor bonus against one opponent that stacks with other armor bonuses. Why isn’t it an untyped bonus?

Image Next up is the Cappuntina Knife Fighter – you throw knives. I don’t remember how it compares to a Dagger Master, but probably not well. The Lord’s Hand are above the law – they torture people for a bonus to Intimidate checks. You could start taking levels in this class at 6th level; you get non-magical potions similar to the alchemist, but it is a very restricted list. Since all of the potions must be consumed by your opponent, I don’t see this ever working for a PC. The Lucani Swordsman fights with a longsword and a fist. At 3rd level (it’s a 3 level class) you get 2 attacks with your longsword, provided that you’re at least 9th level. You can also take a -3 from one attack for a +3 damage to the other attack; why not just use Power Attack… Well, if you go down that route, why make this a class at all? The last Vodacce prestige class is the Villanova Swordsman.

I thought Villanova was the Wildcats

The Villanova Swordsman can forgo his attack for an AoO when he’s attacked; if it hits, his opponent’s attack is negated. While most of the mechanics for the abilities are garbage, you could make something out of that.

Secret Society Prestige Classes

The first is the Mortis Assassin; he gains a bonus to his critical range equal to his levels in this class (ie, a 5th level Mortis Assassin wielding an 18-20 small blade has a threat range of 13-20 in the same situations they would get Sneak Attack; but they don’t get any Sneak Attack from this class. At 5th level they can keep saying the same thing over and over again to unnerve their opponent; the DC increases each round they do it, so presumably their opponent must keep saving – there’s nothing indicating that once you successfully save you’re immune.

Stop SAYING that

Die Kreuzritter; Nacht Sorcerer doesn’t get any spells. You can only become one if you find a ring that transports you into a shadowy world (like Frodo from the movie), but once there you can attack. If you’re not wearing a special cloak, you suffer from the drowning effects when entering the shadow world, and the bonus you get to your resist checks at 4th level doesn’t really negate that; don’t go here without magical equipment that your DM will never let you have.

The Explorer’s Society: Shield Man isn’t a Megaman villain or a Chinese knock-off Captain America… Instead it’s someone who walks around with a shield and tries to defend others. That should be a thing in some games – having two knights using big ass-swords with squires walking around with shields protecting them is cool, but the class isn’t really. They can share their fighting defensively bonus with other people.

The Invisible College: Bonita Swordsman trades attacks for miniscule bonuses to AC (1 attack for a +2, 2 attacks for a +3). Los Vagos: El Punal Occulto Swordsman uses a rapier with a spring-loaded dagger in the pommel. They can qualify for this prestige class beginning at 3rd level, but getting a MW weapon for free isn’t a huge deal even then. When they trip someone, they get an AoO. At 5th level they can use their spring blade and automatically treat the opponent as flat-footed and treat the attack as a critical threat. The Rilasciare: Vipera ex Morsi Assassin also gets the same threat range increase as the Mortis Assassin, but they get a +3 increase in crit multiplier instead of the litany of doom.

The Rose and Cross: Desaix Swordsman fights with a rapier and a dagger. When someone provokes an AoO, he can make one attack and deal damage with both weapons (subject to two-weapon fighting penalties. Two-Weapon Opportunist isn’t a core 3.0 feat, but seems strange to make it a class ability, especially considering how many classes are encouraged to use two-weapon fighting.

Sophia’s Daughters: Necare Assassins get the same bonus to threat range as the other assassins (but it’s listed incorrectly on the table as +1 at each level instead of increasing from +1 to +5 at 5th level. They get a bonus on damage equal to their level (or level x2, or level x3). They also can poison someone who must then make a Wisdom check to notice.

Specifically Season 3, Episode 2, ‘The Sign of Three’

Church Prestige Classes

Church of Avalon: Monastic Order of Avalon – these monks like fisticuffs. It’s a low-level concept, and there’s no reason to make it a 5-level prestige class. The capstone ability requires they wear a ‘fighting girdle’ and then they can provoke an AoO; roll an opposed roll, and if they win, make an AoO against their opponent (negating the attack against them at the same time).

The Vaticine Church: The Rossini Halberdier gets to share his AC with someone next to him with a lower AC; at 3rd level he can get up to +10 AC (1d20-10, minimum 0) against someone he attacks; and at 5th level he gets 2 AoO when people move through his threatened area.

I get that these guys look funny, but do they need a special class? Can’t ‘man with halberd’ just be represented by Warrior or a martial base class

The Vaticine Church: Swords of Solomon shares shield bonuses with others; they can make a full attack while fighting defensively, and they can add 3 to any roll with their signature weapon once per round (attack or damage).

Ussuran Orthodxy- Tyommy Swordsman is the last Prestige Class and therefore the last Swordsman prestige class. This is a special ‘guard’ prestige class. They get a bonus on Spot/Listen equal to their class level, but only Spot is a class skill for them (Listen is not).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Most of these sound like things feats and maybe a rogue dip was meant to handle

The inquisitor looks interesting
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Prestige Class Redux

In 3rd edition, the idea of what a prestige class was supposed to be may not have been settled, but the version in this book strikes out in a different direction. In 3.x, you weren’t supposed to be able to qualify for a Prestige Class until 6th level; most of them included 8+ skill ranks in one or more skills or a combination of abilities (like 3rd level spells) that typically couldn’t be fulfilled prior to 5th level. While a Prestige Class ended up being ‘hyper focused’ compared to a ‘standard character’, the versions in this book take that to an insane level. Basic competency is something you should expect from every character; needing to take a prestige class to achieve basic competency comes too late for many character concepts and isn’t ENOUGH of a concept for too many classes in this book. Sailor is a low-level concept; a ship full of sailors that are experts or commoners should be able to handle most of the functions on a ship. In the case that you’re assuming you’re playing a party that is entirely focused on ship-based combat, having the ability to specialize into roles might be helpful, but having those as feats or skills would be a much more appropriate choice.

There’s a lot of information that can be gleaned about the setting from the classes, and prestige classes, and it’s not a great look – it’s like the real world but more boring.
Not Théah
Feats
The next chapter is 30 pages of feats. Depending on interior artwork, there are approximately 5-8 feats per page. Considering that there’s so much overlap in theme between classes and prestige classes (so many flavors of ‘swordsman’) I’d presume we run into the problem where the number of feats is so large relative to the number of characters being played, very few of these are likely to see play.

But let’s dive in. First one: Able Drinker – you never get drunk. If you drink a huge quantity, there is a chance that some people will be impressed by this. But on the other hand, you never get drunk.
Feeling like this should be a flaw
Academy allows you to add 3 skills (from a restricted list) to the class skill lists for all classes you have. There’s no reason to not have a single feat that lets you pick 3 skills from the entire skill list, but by not doing that, they’ll be able to give this feat 10 different names with 10 different lists. It also is restricted to 1st level only – so if you have all the skills you want at 1st level but later cross-class and want to maintain your skill ranks, SUCKS TO BE YOU. Planning your full career is a problem with 3.0.
Doubling down on a bad idea is usually also a bad idea
Accurate Archer allows you to ignore cover with a bow. Acrobat adds 4 specific skills to your class skill list. Class-skill/cross-class skill was a bad idea. Acrobatic Dodge allows you to make a Reflex check (DC 20) to negate an attack usable a number of times equal to your Dex modifier. Animal Affinity makes Handle Animal a class skill and give syou a +1 to it and Ride.
I’m not even whelmed
Appearance – Above Average – you get a +2 to Bluff/Diplomacy/Gather Information but you have to take this feat at 1st level. Apparently, if you don’t take this feat, you’re fugly. Armor Piercer is reserved for muskeeters; you have to have a BAB of 4+ and as a full action you can ignore half of the AC bonus of armor. By the time you get this, you’re almost certainly better off just making two attacks and if opponents typically eschew armor (as the setting implies they SHOULD) you won’t get any benefit. Arrow Stab is phrased very strangely; you get to make a melee attack AND a ranged attack, but the melee attack must be with an arrow. The way it references ‘an attack into an area you threaten’ while you’re wielding a bow (which doesn’t normally threaten) seems strange.
You could already use an arrow as a melee weapon; not a GREAT melee weapon, but the rules for it were in the core book. You don’t need this feat to get your Legolas on.
Arsonist adds some skills to your class list; I think that the choices are a little odd: Knowledge (Mathematics), Alchemy, Hide, Craft (bomb). Artist also has questionable skill choices: Bluff, Perform, Forgery, and Knowledge (arcana). Assassin’s Hand allows you to confirm a Natural 20 (not a normal critical threat) to instantly kill your opponent when you would get Sneak Attack or Ambush Attack; you can take this at 1st level if you’re a Rogue.
Which makes this the first feat that gives you an ability that I’ve seen in a movie…
Astrologers can spend an hour to give someone a +2 to all DCs they must overcome or a -2; it seems like they miss the point – I thought astrologers were supposed to find out what the cosmic signs say for you, not choose your destiny for the day for the stars. Apparently you don’t need to know or see the person; using this every time you go against someone is much more powerful than Spell Focus. Considering how people whore themselves out for a +1 bonus to spell DCs, I imagine that this might get more play than it should – at least, if there were more spellcasters.

Back Brother is a feat that works if someone else ALSO takes it; when you’re next to your back brother you get +2 to attack/damage/saves/AC. The way they wrote it is wrong, but they clarify. Barter gives you a +3 to Bluff and Sense Motive when haggling.
Sure, haggling is important, but is it important enough that you’re going to dedicate a feat to it?
Beat is a confusingly worded feat that allows you to negate the AC bonus provided by a secondary weapon; possibly disarming them of that weapon; but it requires you to hit and choose not to do damage; since they still have their primary weapon, pretty sure it’s not worth it. Blessing gives you DR 1. Brawny gives you DR 2, and +1 on Intimidate checks but it’s only available at 1st level and you have to be Strong (15+) and Tough (15+). Bruiser allows you to take a -2 to Attack and double your Strength bonus for that attack. The feat description for Captain says it is like Commander but it is NOT AT ALL like it, and Commander isn’t AT ALL like it implies it is. Captain lets you treat a bunch of skills as class skills because apparently bribery is important to captains. Commander does give you some skills as class skills. I’ve lost count of how many feats interact with the class skills system, but I think it’s about 20%. Castillian Education lets you speak every language in the game and gives you +1 skill point per level – usable only for knowledge skills.
Never go in against a Sicilian Castillian when death is on the line
Cold Climate Conditioning reduces the frequency you roll for environmental effects from cold weather; 1/day instead of 1/hour and 1/hour instead of 1/10 minutes. This feat is better than any of the cold resistance feats from Frost and Fur. Combat Virtuoso lets you give up your second attack to give your allies a +1 morale bonus and your enemies a -1 penalty. It appears to imply that you can give up the second attack even if you take actions that don’t permit you to make your second attack – like moving and attacking. Corps-a-Corps is highly specific – if you lose a Trip Attack, your opponent doesn’t get to try to Trip you back, and you get a +2 on your Trip attempt. If you were actually planning on tripping people you could just use a weapon that you can drop when you fail. Courtesean is only allowed if you’re female and adds some skills to your class list.
Time for an aside on the casual sexism that pervades this book.
And now we’re going to have to address the casual sexism throughout this book
On page 236 it includes a blurb entitled ‘A few Words About Female Swashbucklers’.
Historically speaking, women were treated as second-class citizens during the eras most commonly associated with swashbuckling. Therefore, female characters in a campaign set in such a society will have to choose between operating within the norms of society and being a misfit. Those who work within society’s accepted limits need not be dull, but their activities are usually subtler than most male swashbuckler’s, using their beauty, cunning, and influence to defeat their enemies. A side benefit to the belief that women were fragile and helpless is the accompanying belief that they need to be protected. This allows a clever character to manipulate men into doing her bidding.
Female swashbucklers who act like their male counterparts will stand apart from society. One noteworthy woman from history was Julie la Maupin, who was famous for her skill with the sword. Women who follow her example will often be reviled by society or viewed as eccentric celebrities. Of course, fictional worlds like Théahcan bend the rules, providing wider opportunities for female characters. But even there, social perception have an impact on any woman who dares to move beyond her “accepted place”.
The thing is, Théah is not the real world, even if it is a barely concealed pastiche of stereotypes. However, even within that context, there’s plenty of room for gender equality. Queen Elaine is a ruling queen in Avalon; if Montaigne is at all based on historical France then a Joan d’Arc analogue seems like a certainty. Courtiers and Nobles can be women, and in a world where magic is real, there are lots of ways to include powerful women in society. Choosing to label those women ‘misfits’ is a deliberate choice that this book and this campaign setting made. It’s a bad choice.

Within the types of media that inspired this adventure, female leads aren’t COMMON, but they’re not UNKNOWN. There was a female Zorro-led movie in 1944 (Zorro’s Black Whip). Even in the more historically minded Three Musketeers novel, Milady de Winter is a major antagonist. Pirates and outlaws are already ‘misfits’ in society, so explicitly including female characters as more central to the setting isn’t difficult. Even a Prestige Class named ‘Siggursdottir’ which, in my mind, implies that it was created by a woman, doesn’t explicitly reference women. Even for a quasi-historical fantasy setting, it could have gone much further portraying ‘acceptable’ swashbucklers. In The Scarlet Pimpernel the main character is a man, but he’s also a master of disguise, and a noble woman would be just as appropriate.
Princess Calla The Crimson Avenger from Gummi Bears knows what I’m talking about
There are female pirates that make good examples from history; The Golden Age of Hollywood follow-up to Captain Blood features Maureen O’Hara as a swashbuckler in Against All Flags. Ultimately, there are enough examples from history and especially from fiction that it really is an unforgivable failure of imagination not to include more female swashbucklers as part of the setting. Having more female adventurers doesn’t mean you can’t have ‘helpless maidens’ if that’s something you want.
Craftsman lets you make craft checks as if you had 1 rank in the skill (ie, it is not trained only for you). Criminal adds skills to your class skill list. Crossbow Arcing gives you +10 feet range with a crossbow. Compared to something like Far Shot which gives you +40-60ft depending on type, don’t see why anyone would want this. Crossbow Snap Shot lets you fire a light/hand crossbow twice in a round.
They don’t even use fancy equipment crossbows
Parry lets you deflect one attack per round; Continuous Parry lets you do it a whole bunch of times. Something like this might actually be important to ensure that skilled swordsmen can disregard being attacked by a swarm of neophyte guards. Counterattack allows you to make an AoO against people who attack you. Since your attack would resolve first, combine it with Disarm and then you may not need to parry. A coven member has to have 2 other people with the feat nearby; they get a bonus to skill checks to manipulate a spell and the DC to resist spells. Dangerous Beauty allows you to ignore an opponent’s Wisdom modifier when you try to seduce them.
Veronica becomes a courtesean, one of the exotic companions favored by the richest and most powerful Venetian men. They don’t list this as an influence, but I bet it was
Dark Vision is available as a feat, but you need to take low-light vision and improved low-light vision first, so 3 feats total. Dashing and Daring lets you add Charisma to AC when you’re not wearing armor. Dead Aim negates armor bonuses your target gets when you attack with firearms. Deadeye Dick can only be taken at 1st level, but it lets you add Wisdom modifier to attack rolls with ranged weapons. Death Blow does +10 damage if you drop an opponent below zero (so they’re supposed to die), but doesn’t work as intended if you make any changes to the death/dying rules. Debater gives you +3 to Bluff and Intimidate when debating.
I know this would be a popular feat choice for a lot of people I interact with
Defender of the Crown is a +4 save versus fear that’s flavored as a Musketeer’s devotion to the king. Since dragons and monsters aren’t major enemies in the setting, outside of Intimidate, I don’t know where fear saves will come up. Defensive Shot allows you to use ranged weapons without provoking. While using it, you suffer a -2 to base attack (a phrase that is used elsewhere), which isn’t actually the same as a -2 to attacks; if you take a penalty to your BAB you may no longer qualify for feats you’ve taken, and if you have a +6/+1, you’d lose your second attack (since your BAB would be +4).
Image Deflect Missiles I & II is basically a monk’s ability to deflect arrows (but we don’t need no stickin’ monks), and later bullets. Detect Lie gives you a flat DC 20 to determine if someone is lying to you. There are also class abilities that overlap with it, and since D20 doesn’t have default retraining rules, it can be a trap. Dextrous Bow Use gives you a benefit with quarterstaffs, so it seems like a strange name. You use your Dex instead of Strength for attack (but not damage) except on a critical hit, in which case it replaces your Strength for damage, too. Disarm Master lets you take an AoO if you disarm someone – basically I’d experiment with a parry/disarm master if I were playing this game to see if I can break defense. Disarm shot lets you disarm someone with a ranged weapon.
Seargeant Zim knows this: The enemy can not push a button…if you disable his hand
Doctor is an extra stupid feat that adds skills to your class skill list; if you have 4 ranks in Profession: Doctor, you can take this feat so you can also treat Heal, Alchemy, Handle Animal and Animal Empathy as class skills. But that just means that ‘profession doctor’ is useless for actually doing anything doctor related. Double Chop lets you use your primary weapon to cleave if your secondary weapon actually drops your opponent. Seems niche. Driving Force makes you heroic; 1/day for every 5 levels you have (ie, 3x at 15th level) you can take an extra attack, an extra move, or reroll a failed save.

That’s A-D and seems like a good stopping point, but at this rate it’ll take me 3-4 more posts to get through everything. I might just hit the really good or really bad to wrap it up faster… Let me know your preference.
Lord Charlemagne
1st Level

Post by Lord Charlemagne »

I'd suggest just doing the highs & lows while also making a note somewhere in the post how many feats only give skills as class skills or merely small numerical bonuses to some skills.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Going back to the musketeers discussion;

They do use muskets a few times in the novels. The 1973/1974 Micheal York movies have people pull out pistols a few times in a fashion that is in keeping with the stories. For instance Rochefort threatens a guy who spends their whole encounter trying to get his pistol loaded and ready and when he is just about done he walks over and snatches it from his hand The musketeers do get sent to the front against the Hugnots in one of the later stories in the novel (recreated in the 4 muskeeters from 1974) and they basically "attack" a location so that they can have a conversation in secret. Half of them act as loaders while the others shoot. Additionally, they don't really care how effective their shooting is.

The musketeers were still 25 years from the new model army which was one of the first really effective integrations of guns into field tactics.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I've been slow to post additional review materials because I decided it would be helpful to re-engage with the source material. I've watched the 'Legend of Zorro with Antonio Banderas and Anthony Hopkins, and I've watched Errol Flynn's Robin Hood and am watching Captain Blood right now. I no longer have a copy of the Three Musketeers, but have learned that Dumas wrote 'the D'Artagnan Romances' as more or less a cohesive work, and the division into novels is imperfect. The 'Three Musketeers' basically covers the first set of adventures and lends itself to a novel, followed by '20 Years Later', and then '10 Years (more) Later' - that section usually gets broken into 4 novels including 'The Man in the Iron Mask'. Reading novels takes too long but I'll finish a movie or two and get back to it.

While I'm familiar with the source material, a refresher is helpful because it allows me to judge the book by the standards it set for itself - how well it helps create the types of stories that are depicted in classic swashbuckler stories.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

More Feats

I took the last couple of days off from reviewing to engage in some of the swashbuckling movies. How better to evaluate the feats then by looking at the stunts on the silver screen and deciding if a feat helped a character emulate those?
They don’t all look like they can swing from ropes, but they all must have – they boarded a ship while theirs burned
Most of the feats aren’t worth commenting on. Some of them are extremely niche – reducing your total ranged attack penalties by 2 (assuming you have any) and didn’t take a different feat that does more (like doubling all of your range increments), many of them are just additions to your class skill lists with little rhyme or reason.

The following are at least interesting…

Evil Reputation – While intended for NPCs (explicitly) a character of 10th level or more can spend a standard action to initiate a fear aura with a DC equal to their level plus ranks in Intimidate (ie, DC 23 at level 10). Presumably other bonuses to Intimidate don’t apply, and it doesn’t use any attribute modifiers. The reason I think it bears mentioning is that there isn’t really a reputation mechanic. You want people to run away screaming by telling them you’re the Dread Pirate Roberts?
Or Porthos, the Pirate
A reputation mechanic would be a really worthwhile addition to a swashbuckling game. But that’s hard, and printing a feat that says ‘you’ve got a scary reputation’ is easy. Having people run in fear while screaming your name is a good way to let heroes take on dozens of guards without being overwhelmed. Would have been nice if it had been handled in a way that was more incorporated into actions.

Faith (and I promised I skipped 3 feats) invites a player to take the feat, but lets the DM pick what benefit it provides them. There are 5 listed options, and the player will NEVER KNOW if it’s being applied correctly or not – partly because they’re not supposed to know whether ‘evil creatures have a -4 against them’ or if you have a ‘+5 sacred bonus to fear effects’. The DM might choose to cast a clerical spell without telling you 1/day.

Firm Grip invites a lot of jokes that I’m not going to bother making. But a +2 to disarm isn’t worth a feat even if people weren’t going to make fun of you for how you developed this talent.

Foul Weather Jack gives good players in the party +5% XP (and another +2 for each other good-aligned character with the feat). I don’t think +11% XP bonus is worthwhile, but I don’t use XP, either.

Improved Sneak Attack increases your sneak attack dice from d6 to d8; Greater Sneak Attack goes from d8 to d10.

Hip shot lets you threaten the 5’ around with when armed with pistol. Or you could just buy a pistol-knife in the equipment guide and you’d do that without a feat.

Increased Manual Dexterity is a +1 to some DEX skills, so not worth a feat, but is worth a joke. Image Large is an annoying feat because you get a +2 to damage against people who are smaller than you. It’s not clear if that is anyone who didn’t take this feat, or brawny, or giant (other feats that indicate you’re bigger than average), but the last thing you want to do is have to confirm whether your opponent is bigger or smaller than you.
Granted, last thing if you’re not Lyndon Johnson
Left-handed is another feat… You could be left-handed and NOT take this feat, but if you take this feat, you get an advantage when fighting right-handed people. There is a lot of debate about things like right-handed versus left-handed pitchers, and I’ve done fencing in college; fighting someone that is DIFFERENT than what you’re used to does pose some challenges, but it really shouldn’t be that important – you don’t become the greatest swordsman without crossing blades with someone who prefers the opposite hand.
Were you expecting something from Princess Bride? There can be swashbuckling fantasy heroes in other films, too
Lightning Reflexes is a totally different feat from the Lightning Reflexes feat that exists in the core rules – this one lets you make an AoO when someone charges into your threatened area. I don’t think that’s a bad feat (though entering if NOT CHARGING) would be okay, too. We have something like that in our system but we call it ‘Hold the Line’. Giving feats the same name as existing feats is a generally bad practice, and they should be ashamed. I even double-checked my 3.0 Player’s Handbook to be 100% certain it wasn’t introduced in 3.5, and sure enough, it was there.

Lunge is painfully bad. When you lunge, you provoke an AoO. If you hit, you get +5 damage. Since AoO are resolved first, and since the attack that’s going to hit you is likely to do more than 5 damage, this is a BAD TRADE virtually in every case. Even if your opponent had already used up their AoO(s) I still wouldn’t risk it.

Master Swordsman lets you teach people the swording techniques you know. Apparently you can’t teach them until you’ve mastered a school and you’ve taken this feat. Membership-secret society says, and I quote, ‘There are no benefits to taking this feat, it does open up other character advancement options depending on the society you choose (such as feats, special equipment and prestige classes)’. If the price of entry for feats you want is a feat that does nothing, those feats at least ought to be BETTER than the feats you can get without it… That does not appear to be the case – at least not generally.

Miracle Worker is similar to faith – you get 1d3-1 miracles per week that occur when the DM decides it is appropriate. A list of suggested miracles are provided.

Nightblade is at least a little interesting, and does require a membership (Die Kruezritter). You have a stiletto of shadow you can pull from your palm to make attacks that ignore armor and don’t leave visible wounds on the target. That’s at least good for a murder mystery or two.
Panache gives you points equal to your Charisma modifier. When making an attack roll, damage roll, skill check, ability check, or save, you can spend one to get a +1d4 bonus to the roll (or apply a -1d4 penalty to an opponent who is making a check that impacts you). As part of this review I was going to suggest a system for gaining and using Panache that was significantly more robust… But hey, it’s something.

So, Toughness (+3 HP) is a feat you can take. It’s not generally regarded as a very good feat. They didn’t get the memo. They’ve got Really Tough, which requires you’ve taken Toughness twice, but if you do, you can take this and get +6 hit points.

There are a pair of Feats that let you ignore damage (such as suffocation) from sand and then create sandstorms. While the feat is not a class ability, a requirement is that you are a class that has access to magic. Say it with me: Fighters can’t have nice things.

Sex Appeal allows you to double your Charisma bonus when using skills on members of the opposite sex, but you suffer a -2 when using them with members of your own sex. It should be noted that you don’t have to have ‘above average looks’ to have sex appeal.

Six Fingers gives you six fingers on both hands, which is better than manual dexterity because it gives you a +1 to Dex skills (like manual dexterity) and a +1 to some attack rolls (missile weapons and when using weapon finesse). Seems suspect…
And hardly worth a feat
Tyrant is an evil version of Leadership; it allows you command an army of humanoids.

There are three unarmoredfeats; the first gives you a +3 bonus to AC when not wearing armor (scaling to +9 at level 20), the next provides a +5 bonus scaling to +13; the last provides a +7 bonus up to +17. That is, if you spent 3 feats, you’d have a +8 bonus to AC at 2nd level when not wearing armor.
Unnerving Countenance gives you a +3 to Charisma checks, unless you’re trying to be unpleasant, in which case you get a +5 (I guess for Intimidate???).
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Arcana

The next section has Feats and Flaws that are specifically tied to alignment that the book calls ‘Arcana’. The idea that you could make something good or evil by making it identical but in reverse (like alignment poison) wasn’t new with the Book of Exalted Deeds.. Good and evil characters take Virtues and Wiles respectively. You can also take a ‘negative feat’ that gives you a bonus feat. These are called Hubris or Flaw again depending on whether you are good (Hubris) or evil (Flaw). About 1/3 of the options are available for either good or evil characters – that is, it is a virtue if you’re good and a wile if you’re evil, but they’re exactly the same. They’re called Arcana because they’re supposed to be discernable by witches in the setting.
Not even a goatee to tell you which one it should be
In any case, these are supposed to ‘drastically alter the dynamics of the d20 rules; whether that is good or bad is left to the discretion of the DM’. Consequently, you are only permitted to take one Virtue/Wile at 1st level. Below are a few examples of the types of abilities.

Adaptable (Virtue/Wile) lets you choose not to be flat-footed 1/day. Arrogant (Hubris/Flaw) 1/day lets the DM or the player activate this to make you show disdain for someone else. The mechanical effects are not indicated. Comforting is a Virtue that lets you cancel one fear effect on your party. Brilliant is a Wile that only activates if you and another character have the same initiative count; you can make them fail their first roll. Hedonistic is a Hubris that allows the DM or a player to ‘activate your Hubris in order to get you to relax your guard and have a good time’. Cruel is a Flaw makes an NPC betray you 1/month.

Most of the negative effects allow the DM or another player to activate them – presumably there is no way that a player could activate an NPCs hubris/flaw because they wouldn’t know what they are. None of the feats are as powerful as they seem to imply, nor do they ensure consistency for a character. For example, if you’re Loyal someone can activate your Hubris to make you go back for a fallen comrade (or refuse to leave his side). But the second time? That’s entirely on you. Some of the negative feats do give you ‘currency’ for choosing to engage in your behavior when it makes things more difficult, but that’s generally a better option.

Having players choose 2-3 of these as roleplay prompts and allowing them to ‘trigger’ them for meta-currency would make a better system. Rather than ‘good’ and ‘evil’ traits, they could be Heroic and Villainous. Having a Courageous, Rash and Honorable Hero (even though Honorable is a Wile) and a Hedonistic (though that’s a Hubris), Extravagant, Squeamish BBEG would help flesh out encounters.

In any case, that covers the Feats. The next section is Equipment – 9 pages.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Chapter Five: Equipment

The d20 System doesn’t offer a lot of ways to customize equipment; most of these are variations on existing equipment – like a dagger that does 1d3 but gives you a +2 to conceal it on your person. In terms of power-level, there are a lot of weapons with increased threat ranges. For example, a ‘sailor’s knife’ is a martial melee weapon that’s a normal dagger with a 17-20 threat range. Some of the choices they made seem strange; for example, a bayonet is listed as a slashing weapon. I looked online and I couldn’t find ANY examples of bayonets used as anything other than a piercing weapon. There are some x4 crit weapons (the Zweihander, Aldana Blade, and Cutlass, for example. The Thrusting Sword has an 18-20 crit range/x4 crit damage but it is an exotic weapon. All of the pistols are considered exotic weapons, but most classes have proficiency automatically. The standard for a firearm is a 20/x3 critical damage. A normal musket has a range increment of 150 ft, base damage of 1d12, a x3 crit and costs 250 GP. By default, it is a standard action to load a musket. The game suggests that DMs interested in realism instead require 10 full-round actions (1 minute) to load a musket.

I think the most interesting weapon (to me) is the Panzerhand. It is an iron glove that is used to grab and disarm weapons (giving you a +5 to disarm attempts). You can get a +1 Shield Bonus if you take Exotic Shield Proficiency.

For armor, everything is listed as providing an Armor Bonus, but in the description several should actually provide a shield bonus. This absolutely matters because several abilities require you NOT to have an Armor Bonus to use.

There are several items that allow you to modify your weapons; add a basket hilt, or a built-in pistol. Being able to customize weapons is generally a good thing.

The final category of weapons are grenades. There are two of them; one costing 150 gp and dealing 2d6 on a direct hit and 1d6 to nearby targets and the other costing 175 and dealing 3d4/2d4. Those costs are prohibitive.

Chapter Six: Wondrous Items

The book explains that these items aren’t truly magical. The first thing is a new material – Dracheneisen (Dragon Iron). Weapons made of it count as one category lighter, gain a +1 bonus to hit, a +1 to critical modifier. There’s a lot of description of how you incorporate pieces of armor into your existing armor.

There are several poisons; they’re all in line with what you’d find in the DMG, which means they are extremely overpriced. A poison that does 1d4 Con/4 Con costs 7,000 GP per dose. Considering that poison has a DC of 14, you’d be much better off using Yellow Lotus Poison – DC 16, 1d4 Con/1d4 Con and only 80 GP per dose.
Forget adventuring. These frogs are presumably worth a fortune
Puzzle swords add additional properties to a sword like a disguised sheath or a serrated blade. Customization options are good, but none of the items in this chapter have a price listed.

The rest of the items are essentially standard alchemical or magical items. Since there are no costs, DCs to craft, or suggestions of where/how they are acquired (with the exception of a few items that are possessed by notable NPCs) there isn’t much that’s interesting here.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Chapter Seven: Advanced Rules

The chapter opens with the following:
With the increased technological development of a swashbuckling era, some of the classic combat rules must be adjusted, and new rules added. This chapter contains additional guidelines for swashbuckling combat and other forms of mayhem.
I agree with the sentiment, but I’m dissatisfied with the execution. This section has 1-2 page sections of random rules. There are rules about building, planting and detonating bombs, rules about destroying buildings, suggestions for how to use Bluff to seduce people.

New Combat Options are significant enough that they should each be covered.

Bind Some attacks allow you to prevent someone from using a weapon or shield. Effectively you’re ‘grappling their weapon’, but some weapons let you do that. A disarming shot requires you to take a -4 to BAB; if you hit, the target makes a Strength check equal to the damage you deal plus 1d20 (rolled randomly) – failure indicates they are disarmed.

Dramatic Criticals allow you to extend your critical range by up to 5 points (ie, a 19-20 weapon could become 14-20). The downside is that if you roll low, you suffer a critical failure. If you roll 1-5 on your attack your turn ends and you are flat-footed until the start of your next turn. You also provide from anyone threatening you a free AoO (it doesn’t count toward their normal total). The same bonus you applied to your critical threat range applies to your opponent’s AoO. If used as written, this absolutely encourages players to use this before opponents are aware they are in combat – it does not say that they are able to make AoO if they otherwise couldn’t, though that might be the intent.

Called Shots After making an attack that becomes a critical, you can forgo the critical damage to make a called shot. These apply a debuff. You are restricted in which locations you can target based on your BAB – ie, you can hit an arm with a +2 BAB (giving them a -4 to attacks with that arm), but you can’t hit the head until you have a +8 BAB (stunning your opponent for 1d4 rounds). I don’t feel like this hits the INTENT of a called shot; resolving it AFTER your attack doesn’t fit the theme.
With a called shot you tell them what you’re going to do, and it’s impressive because THEN YOU DO IT
When your opponent scores a critical against you, you can choose to take significantly less damage but lose a body part. The body part is determined randomly (by rolling a d20), with low rolls having minimal effect. You suffer a penalty until/unless you get a prosthetic.
Luke has to use his off-hand, giving him a -4 until he trains it away. He suffers other penalties even after he gets a hook
Dueling is a special form of combat, and for whatever reason, you add your BAB to all damage rolls. They have descriptions of various types of duels.
Reputation is something I’ve been harping on as a critically important function to emulate the genre. There were some feats you could take that boiled down to ‘you have a fearsome reputation’, but this is the generic ‘applies to everyone’ rules. Reputation starts at zero, each time you gain a level, you make an attribute check (DC 15) using your highest ability score. If you beat the DC, you gain +1 Reputation. You may also gain reputation when you do ‘great deeds’ with witnesses present, subject to DM adjudication. Some positions provide a reputation bonus. When reputation might help you, you gain a bonus of +5 if you succeed at a reputation check (ie, using Diplomacy to ask for help) but can give you a -5 for things like Disguise. The DC to use reputation depends on where you are physically located (the DC ranges from 15 in your hometown to 40 on the open seas).

That’s it – that’s the mechanic. There’s a bit about an alias and about henchmen, but there’s nothing about people choosing to surrender because of your reputation for fairness or deciding not to fight you (or turn you into the town guard) because they see you as a champion of the people.

Mass Combat
Mass combat is one of those things that everyone knows is missing from 3.x. The rules for this require you to create units of like-equipped characters. The level of a unit is the average of all characters, rounded down unless they’ve trained for a month, in which case it is rounded up. That is, a unit of 49 level 1 characters and 1 level 2 character has an average level of 1.02. If they started training yesterday, the unit is level 1; if the unit has trained for a month, they’re level 2. Other attributes of a unit are just like characters – they have movement, damage they deal on an attack, etc – most everything about a combat treats units like characters.

If our unit of 50 men, if they were wielding Zweihanders, they would deal 3d4+STR damage x the number of hits. If we were attacking a unit with a Defense of 15, and we had a modified 15, 50% of our unit would hit (meaning roll damage and multiply by 25). If we had rolled a 16, 60% of our unit would hit (30), and if we had rolled a 20 (or better) than 100% of our unit would hit. If the members of our unit have 10 hit points, every 10 hit points of damage we take adds a casualty. So in a mirror-match, rolling the AC would result in 3d4+STR x 25 (say 11 damage) would result in dealing 275 damage, or removing 27 combatants. Then those surviving combatants attack and deal damage; going first provides a major advantage. There are some benefits to tactical consideration, such as flanking or attacking a unit with cover.

As far as the rules go, this isn’t too dissimilar to what my friends did with a couple of minor exceptions; we scaled up hits by +5% (not +10%) so you had to beat the DC by 10 (instead of 5) to deal 100% damage. We also used average damage for members of the unit. There are some problems with this system, though.
First off, if you’re fighting in a bottleneck, it doesn’t necessarily make sense that 100% of your opposition can apply their damage. It’s easy to treat every combat as everyone in one squad attacking everyone in another squad, but that’s generally not how things work. Accounting for formations would be more work, but it’s an important consideration in terms of maintaining verisimilitude. The other major problem is that initiative becomes extremely deterministic. Two units of equal size with the exact same rolls will allow the first unit to do 2x as much damage as the second unit because the second unit will already have 50% casualties. Allowing each unit to deal damage before end of round before clearing casualties might be more appropriate. In that case, initiative might instead apply some bonus to attack rolls.

Ship-to-Ship Combat

As is standard for d20 games, ships are extremely expensive, costing tens of thousands of gold. The Frigate (with 16 guns) is 40,000 GP, the Ship of the Line with (40 guns) is 70,000. Like mass-combat, ships combat basically turns a ship into a character; combat is fought on hexes. Changing facing requires ‘rudder’, and it works to a required minimum amount of forward movement before changing direction by 1 step. The example provided is a ship with movement 6, rudder 2; for every 2 squares it moves it can change direction by 1. Cannons are resolved like mass combat; if you hit the AC, 50% of your cannons hit; if you exceed the AC by 5, 100% hit. Boarding is intended to be handled by mass-combat; calculating the stats of a crew after a few rounds of combat is potentially frustration.

At this point we’ve covered all the special rules. We have a 2 page section on secret societies, followed by 29 pages on the actual setting.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Chapter Eight – Secret Societies
Image These rules are brief – they include income that you get for leading a society, based on your leadership score. The rest of this chapter is ‘special safe houses’ you can purchase, many of them limited to specific secret societies.

Chapter Nine: Théah

Nominally, this is a setting book. It seemed strange to me to start with a bunch of mechanics because the book hasn’t really shown us why we want to use this world. I’ve been able to make inferences about how the world works based on some of the class features, feats, and optional rules, but this is the section where they can really make the case for why we should set our game in Théah, and not use the real world (with various amounts of magic added in).
Players and DMs should find the setting of 7th Sea both reassuringly familiar and excitingly new. At first glance, the setting resembles Europe during the 17th century, the Restoration. The nations and cultures draw cues from this historical period, but only in the broadest sense, and only as a frame of reference. Despite these similarities, the world is not our own. Cinema and literature, from the films of Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks to the books of Alexandre Dumas and Rafael Sabatini, are more of an inspirational source than any factual time, place, or personality.
The heroes, villains, and stories of 7th Sea are all larger than life. So is the world they inhabit. It is an idealized, fantastic place of action, adventure, sorcery, danger and romance.
Alexandre Dumas is known to have said ‘What’s history? A nail I hang my stories on’. Being able to choose which aspects of history are sufficiently ‘heroic’ may be easier than dealing with what is often a very messy situation, where no one is truly ‘good’ or ‘evil’.

The setting describes six seas that surround the continent, with a 7th Sea that is a little like Ravenloft – it shows up at random times and places and you can reappear elsewhere in the setting. Cathay is separated from the rest of the setting by a wall of fire. It implies that the sea of fire also blocks passage to Cathay, but it looks like the Sea of Mirrors should offer connection. There’s a Time Line starting in 700 BC and going through 1669 (present day). As is usually the case, most of the 2000+ years of history is not directly relevant, and this case it just renames events from actual history – the Numan Empire occupies Avalon (instead of the Roman Empire occupying England) and Imperator Carleman (instead of Charlemagne) has an empire in the 7th century.

Some ‘recent history’ is too recent to have the impact that they imply. The unit of currency in Théah (the Guilder, which all prices are listed in) was only introduced in 1664. Universal adoption of a single currency in 5 years?

Following the timeline, an overview of the major nations is provided, each providing information about the land, the climate, history, culture, notable settlements, and important people. There are a few sidebars about significant elements.

Avalon has the same problem that Shadowrun as a setting does – the magic was gone for centuries and only came back 10 years ago. It’s entirely possible to be a native Avalonian who has been at sea long enough that you don’t remember a time when the three kingdoms were unified and magic was a legend. The land has ‘noble sailors’, who are equivalent to knights – they’re essentially privateers but are entitled to a share of booty taken at sea; as a result there are a lot of Avalonian Pirates.

Although the magic has returned, very little in this book explains how/why it would be used.

More importantly, Elaine’s rather uncontested rise to the unified throne doesn’t necessarily give the PCs interesting play options. If you wanted to loyally serve your queen and quell a baron’s uprising in not-Wales, that’s not really given as an option. Are there reasons why people are suspicious of Elaine? The Vancian church is very anti-magic; the timeline indicates that the ‘Church of Avalon’ was created in 1622, and Elaine recently ‘declared Independence from the Vancian church’, but nothing about what that means. In real-world politics, the Scottish were involved in the ‘Jacobite Uprisings’ to restore a Catholic monarchy to the United Kingdom. I just don’t know that it’s worthwhile to have a Unified United Kingdom in this setting…
Historical Fact: The first International football (soccer) match took place between Scotland and England in 1872. Even when they’re on the same side, they love to beat each other bloody
Castille just forced Montaigne to withdraw a few months ago. Motaigne has its own problems (more on that later), but the idea that the people of each region have a firm sense of National Identity is strange. In the real-world you have at least 13 secessionist movements. A boy king at odds with the church, areas of various foreign occupancy for various amounts of time – there are plenty of reasons to imagine more political divisions than the book asserts. Per the timeline, Montaigne has already dealt with a boy-king who was under the influence of an evil cardinal, so it really looks like they’ve tried to recreate that in not-Spain (with the Inquisition).
Hey Torquemada Cardinal Ésteban Verdugo, What do you say?
Castille sent Columbus Cristobal Gallegos on a mission of exploration which is mentioned both in the timeline and the description of the country, but he disappeared and was never heard from again...ending the age of exploration. One city is still occupied by the French Montaigne, but a new here, Zorro El Vago (The Tramp) has emerged to defend the people from the cruel depredations of the foreign invaders.

Eisen is described as centrally located, with anything traded on the continent likely to pass through by land or water. Considering that there’s a giant river bisecting the continent, that is not really true. Further, any trade between Vodacce, Castille, and Montaigne wouldn’t have to pass through Eisen, and mountains on the border of Eisen and Ussura make trade by sea (the domain of the Vendel), having Eisen be the battleground of the continent doesn’t really make sense the way it might in the real Europe. In the real world, Germany wasn’t unified until 1871 – as a part of various Empires it still lacked a cohesive National Idenity. Even though the book acknowledges that there are seven ‘iron kingdoms’, actually discussing the differences between them in a meaningful way is more work than this book wants to do.
Which is disappointing because the stereotypes of Germans are that they’re Car lovers and humorless hardworkers – not a single one is of a lazy German!
Approximately 150 years ago, Martin Luther Matthias Lieber founded Protestantism Objectionism. Approximately 50 years ago, simmering religious tension exploded in The Thirty Years’ War the War of the Cross. If this is similar to the historical equivalent, over 8 million people would have died (20% of the German population at the time). Are those numbers at all reasonable for Théah? I have no idea. Nothing about the nations or notable settlements sets even a ballpark for numbers. How many Eisen mercenaries can I hope to field if money is no object (say, because I found a poison arrow frog)?

Ultimately, a failure to provide concrete demographics is a hedge to prevent the PCs from changing the world in a meaningful way. If you destroy a garrison of 2000 Montaigne soldiers, it only has whatever impact the DM decides – whether that’s a new garrison shows up tomorrow or the entire nation slips into chaos. The lack of concrete details isn’t really acceptable in a Campaign Setting book – of course I can CHANGE anything I want to, but it’s easier to do if I have some ballpark figures to use. While the book came more than a year after Wikipedia was founded, it still isn’t reasonable to ask DMs to start evaluating real-world demographics as a starting point, especially when we’re missing more than half of the European nations – I don’t know if Eisen should have Poland’s population AND Germany’s population, or if all the total population figures are based entirely on the stand-ins they bother with. And I’m personally disappointed that they didn’t include a Swedish Empire – it was a significant world power during this time (from 1611 to 1721).
Maybe the authors didn’t think Swedes knew how to buckle their swashes
Moving on to Montaigne – A year ago it was led by l’empereur, who appears to be a historical amalgamation of Louis XVI and Napoleon – making the nation anachronistic for their own timeline as France’s revolution took place in 1789. In any case, despite the calendar reading 1669, the Revolution has just begun. The nation is more Tale of Two Cities than Three Musketeers is what I’m saying. At the moment the nation is caught in the grip of the reign of terror Frenzy, looking for royalist saboteurs to execute. The use of the guillotine is ubiquitous, but it is nicknamed ‘The Barber’.

If the authors appeared to be anti-democratic when discussing Montaigne, it appears to be confirmed by their discussion of Ussura. ‘Matushka’, the embodiment of the land and a force that controls weather in defense of its people (after they were conquered by Vikings) also appeared in physical form and told the people to have a czar Gaius. The Gaius is always chosen from the peasantry, except now, when the son of the prior Gaius was chosen (after Matushka was ‘tricked’).

Describing Vendel/Vestenmannavnjar it goes into more detail about the divisive issue. The remaining Vestenmannavnjar are primarily supporters of the warrior caste (jarls) while the Vesten are related to the merchant class (Carls) that became rich and powerful through trade in the same places the jarls raided.

Vodacce has an a continental area, but all of the political organization is on a group of islands nearby. It seems strange to me that the island leaders would be able to exert undisputed control over continental territory – it also beggars belief that they name the islands after the rulers rather than the other way around. The anti-democratic inclinations persist – Gaius Philippus Macer seized power and ‘ruled with absolute but merciful authority for twenty-six years, until a small group of Senators uncovered dark powers to bend Gaius to their will’. These same senators came to control sorcerous talent within their bloodline. The church is extremely hostile to sorcerous talent, but for some reason the princes that rule in Vodacce still care about the threat of excommunication.

Following the major nations are sections on the subcontinents of the Empire of the Crescent Moon and Cathay. Following unsuccessful crusades, official contact with the Empire of the Crescent Moon is forbidden for all except one Vodacce family – as a result, you’re not REALLY supposed to go adventure there. Virtually nothing is revealed about Cathay – it is shrouded in mystery and believed to have undying sorcerer-kings.

Rounding out the description of the world are a couple of islands that weren’t already covered including La Bucca (a prison island now a pirate camp), Cabora, a mechanical artificial island that was sunk beneath the waves deliberately by an ancient civilization, but has just returned, and The Midnight Archipelago which generally replaces the ‘New World’ in Théah.

The chapter wraps up with major organizations and provides a short paragraph describing the Vaticine Church, the Objectionist Reformers, The Church of Avalon, and the Ussuran Orthodoxy. The Vaticine Church recognizes 3 prophets, coming every few centuries. The Usssuran Orthodoxy only recognizes the first. The Objectionists reject the role of the church and encourage a direct relationship with the one-god (Theus). Avalon is like the Vaticine church but does not recognize any international authority and their queen is the head of the church. There are references to Theus being worshipped in the Crescent Empire elsewhere in the book, but nothing explaining why crusades were necessary or what religious differences exist.

The chapter concludes with one paragraph each on several guilds and other organizations. The Inquisition is trying to destroy all scientific exploration; some organizations oppose it.

That brings us to the Appendix to be covered in a future post.