[LP] Double Game - Glade of Dreams: Darian, Master Magician

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

As you rise from the ground and fold the map away, you see the body of the satyr shimmer and change. Before your eyes the little body stretches and grows until it is transformed into the body of a woman dressed in a long flowing blue robe, her eyes closed in death. Have you just killed a sorceress? Was the satyr and its sharp horns just an illusion? Troubled, you remind yourself that nothing can stand in your way to finding the Glade of Dreams. you turn your back on the woman's body and head off into the trees with the stream at your back.
Can you locate your position yet on the map that you carry? The places and people marked are: the City of the Forest People, the Glittering Cave, the Glade of Dreams, the Obelisk, the Pool of Mirrors and the Riddling Sphinx.

If you have visited two or more of these, turn to 345.
If not, turn to 127.
We're only been to the Glittering Cave...
You do not yet have enough clues to locate the Glade of Dreams and must find some more of the landmarks shown on the map.

Will you climb a tree and search for significant landmarks?
Will you follow the narrow forest trail which leads from the place?
Or will you use your Sense Danger spell in the hope of detecting the glade's magic aura?
Now that we have specific landmarks to search for, will we consider climbing a tree this time?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Gah, I got caught up in my new job and literally forgot this thread was a thing. Apologies.

Climb a tree.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

A likely tree stands in the forest nearby. To climb it you must make a successful Agility roll. If you roll a number greater than your skill, you will and must delete 2 Strength points before trying again.

When you have climbed the tree successfully and are perched cautiously in its topmost branches, you have a good view of the Wailing Forest Not too far away is a small valley with what looks to be a stone monument rising from it.

Back on solid ground, will you head for the valley that you saw?
Or will you ignore it and continue to wander through the forest?
A glaring flaw in the design here is that the book automatically assumes the player wants to keep trying to climb the tree until he succeeds and doesn't take into account the possibility that he might prefer to give up due to low Strength and danger of killing himself.

Thankfully, Darian isn't likely to fail this roll.

Die roll = 4 (Success).

Does Darian want to check the valley?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yes, that looks like the Obelisk. Let’s get confirmation of that, then triangulate for our objective.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Walking through the trees towards the small valley, you emerge suddenly into a tiny clearing dominated by a gigantic stone monument. Rising at least 200 feet into the air, this granite pillar sits on a broad stone base. Moving closer, you see that there is an inscription on one side. It reads:
TO THE SEEKERS

Every man seek his heart's desire
But few find it
and those that do
Know they have lost as much
As the have found

As you move away from the Obelisk to consult your map you cannot shake off a feeling of danger associated with the Glade of Dreams. Of all your encounters in the forest so far, most have warned against it.

You now have two landmarks: the Glittering Cave and the Obelisk. A trail that runs nearby the Obelisk leads almost directly to the Glade of Dreams. Casting aside your worries, you search briefly for the trail then follow it, walking quickly so you will reach the glade before nightfall.
Another pause here as Issel now has a choice to make at his end....
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Rounding a corner in the trail, you come face to face with a large wooden gate, hinged to a small tree on one side and locked to a boulder on the other. As you pause, unsure of what to do, a huge shaggy head rises above the gate and you find yourself staring into the eyes of a Sphinx. One giant hand sweeps down through the air to rest on the forest floor just ahead of you.

"Welcome, Seeker," rumbles its deep voice. "If you would pass my gate to reach the glade, then step forward."

If you are brave enough to step forward, turn to 159.
If you would rather turn and run, in the hope of finding another way to the glade, turn to 347.
Does Darian confront the Sphinx?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Step forward.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Issel has just encountered his first auto-fail section at his side, but the 2-player game will continue as the players opt to simply rewind and proceed with an alternative option.
Lifting you high into the air above the gate, the Sphinx raises you to its eye level and grins, revealing sharp teeth.

"Well, little Seeker," it says, "are you ready to take my test? I will ask you a riddle. If you answer correctly, then you may pass be. If not, then..." Its eyes glance down and you notice a small pile of human bones lying on the ground. You are in no doubt as to your fate if you fail to answer the riddle correctly.

"Do not attempt to use your magic against me," says the monster. "I sense your power, but such things have no effect on me."

Shrugging, you force courage into your voice and tell the creature to ask its riddle.

"Very well," it says, "Here is my question.

I glitter in the hearts of men;
I shine more brightly than the sun itself;
Men have killed for me, men will die for me;
Many talk of me, few possess me.
What am I?"

Although the answer seems obvious, you ask the Sphinx for a little time to think. "Of course," it replies, "But it is an easy riddle. Do not take too long." It yawns widely.

Will you answer, "Gold"?
Will you answer, "Honesty"?
Or will you answer, "Power"?
What is Darian's answer?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Master Magician Honesty!

Honestly, it's a shit riddle and doesn't fit any of the answers.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

"Honesty," you say, and are instantly rewarded by the Sphinx's smile.

"I am glad that you have chosen correctly," it says, lowering its hand to the ground. "Always remember your answer, Darian. All the gold in the world cannot buy an honest man's favours. And now, goodbye and good luck."

Stepping from the creature's hand, you see that the trail on this side of the wooden gate continues a little further.

Thanking the Sphinx and keeping its last words in mind, turn to 188.
As the Riddling Sphinx disappears from view, the trail takes another twist and you are suddenly at the entrance to the Glade of Dreams. It is nothing like you expected after the dangerous trip through the Wailing Forest. A tinkling stream bubbles to the surface in the centre of the lush glade to form a small rock pool. A few willow trees droop gracefully over the pool and the sweet scent of flowers is everywhere. Two moss-covered rocks form a natural shelter, and a carefully arranged circle of smaller stones indicates where generations of Seekers have built their campfires. The grass floor of the glade is smooth and inviting and the sunlight creeping through the forest trees gives the place an air of exciting magic.

As you stare in amazement, a slight breeze from one side causes you to turn your head and you freeze, rooted to the spot at the sight that greets your eyes. You dare not move a muscle or even think about using magic in the face of the great beast which waits patiently here at the entrance to the glade: a dragon!

The great bronze beast lowers its head to the ground to examine you. A dragon's gaze, it is said, causes madness and so you look away as it speaks: "Welcome, Darian, to the Glade of Dreams. I am the Guardian of this place. Before you enter I must judge you worthy of dreaming."

Numb, you can only nod. But the ancient dragon's next words shock you. "Very well then, young magician," it says. "Use your most powerful magic against me."

Astounded, you cannot believe your ears. This huge, invulnerable beast wants you to attack it? Surely this is an excuse to kill you. But what will it do if you do not do as it asks?

If you wish to attack the dragon, turn to 29.
If you do not wish to do so, turn to 295.
Attack the dragon or not?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

As I'm not actually strong enough to use my most powerful spell, I'm going to hope that my most powerful magic is friendship. No fighty.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

"I cannot," you mumble. "It will not hurt you and I fear to make you angry."

The dragon blinks before replying. When it speaks, there is sadness in its voice. "You have no courage, young Darian," it says. "If you were to dream here, then you would not wake up. You would be lost in your own nightmares." It sighs. "I must return you whence you came."

Before you can speak, the glade spins around you and you pass out. When you awaken again, you are on the Great East Road outside the forest. The inn which you left only a few days ago lies ahead of you. You have failed the final test at the very threshold of the Glade of Dreams.

Although you may try again another time, for the moment your adventure ends here.
And with that Darian is tied with Issel at one failure apiece.

Do you wish to rewind from this last act and continue the 2-player game?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Sure.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Wincing in anticipation, you throw your most deadly spell at the monstrous head. It has absolutely no effect except to make the dragon smile, and that is even more frightening.

"Well done, Darian," it says, "Your courage is great. I find you worthy of the Glade of Dreams. But before you enter, I have a warning for you: your dreams within this place have the force of reality. Whatever you dream, so long as you can hold you will to it, it will come true when you awake. But what man can control his dreams? Danger lies within the souls of men, and you will find that danger here. I warn you Darian: you may die here, defeated by some strange apparition conjured from the evil that lies in the mind of every man. If you die within your dream, then the monster that kills you will return in your place to the world of life."

Shocked, you listen as the dragon concludes its speech. "This is why men call this place the Wailing Forest," it says. "The nightmare creatures from the minds of dreamers they have killed roam these woods, trying desperately to return to the dream worlds from which they came. If you should die here, Darian, there will be one more monster to block the path of others."

The bronze animal begins to shimmer before your eyes. As it fades from sight you hear its final words: "Dream well," it says, "And dream wisely..." Looking up, you see that the dragon has disappeared and, suddenly tired, you stagger towards a comfortable resting place on the grass.
Since the text doesn't seem to take into consideration that the PC may not have the Strength to cast any spells at this stage, I don't think he's meant to lose any Strength here, so Darian passes the test can proceed.

However, I'm pretty sure there's an editorial error at the end of this section in this book.....mainly, that there's a 2-player grid missing here. The next section Darian is supposed to turn to corresponds with the one in the 2-player grid in Issel's book, and in this case he was redirected to a different section there. I'm sure Darian is supposed to do the same here. While I'm not 100% certain, I think I've found the right section that Darian should turn to here if there were a 2-player grid present:
As you walk further into the glade you see that there is someone already there. Sitting on the grass by the edge of the pool is a stranger, his sword laid aside but to hand. Walking over to him, you introduce yourself and discover that his name is Issel, the great grandson of King issel, who ruled Franzos many years ago. Issel has come to the Glade of Dreams with the intention of dreaming to reclaim his rightful heritage and become King as his great grandfather once was. Decide together if you wish to dream at the same time.

If you decide to dream together, turn to 144.
If you decide against dreaming with Issel, turn to 315.
Most of the time in this book when the PCs find each other they are also given the extra option to attack each other, but this is one of the only cases where the encounter is entirely non-hostile. The only choice here is whether or not to team up.

Does Darian wish to literally share his dream with the other guy?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The pros and cons are insubstantial compared to the whole point of this exercise being to interact with the other player. Onward together.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You and Issel are now committed to dreaming together. Ask Issel for his Swordsmanship skill and Strength value. Then write them down on your Character Sheet (use one of the Combat boxes if you wish). Restore your Strength to its original level and make sure that Issel does the same.

You find a broad, comfortable spot in which to lie and fall asleep together.
The full Strength restore at least is a much-needed bonus for Darian here!
The dream that overtakes you is a strange one. With Issel at your side, you stand at one end of a long marble hall. A high, carved, vaulted ceiling yawns above you and broad, square polished tiles, each one inlaid with precious stones, cover the floor. Two columns of fluted, marble pillars stand on either side, drawing your eye towards he far end of the hall. The walls seem to be lost in a kind of dream haze so that you cannot tell the width of the hall.

At the far end, almost lost in the distance, is a wide marble dais supporting a single throne. On the throne sits an elderly man, one hand propping up his head, which lolls to one side as if in sleep.

Attempting a minor conjuring trick, you test to see if magic will work in this dream world. It will not. What will you both do now?

Will you walk together towards the seated man?
Or will you try to call out to him first?
Oh dear, magic doesn't work here....which is definitely bad news for Darian. At least Issel as a good sword arm, so you might need to rely on him for a while...

As mentioned in the introduction main thread, sections where players are supposed to make their own individual choices while in a team will be resolved via 2-player grid. In this particular case, there's no grid at all, so both players need to make a consensus on what they both want to do together.

Please discuss this in the main topic for this LP with Issel's players (Darth Rabbitt & Omegonthesane) for what to do next.

Darian's Character Sheet:
Skills
Strength: 12/12
Agility: 11/11
Luck: 11/11
Magic: 12/12
Swordsmanship: 2/2
Spells:
Sense Danger (Str cost: 1)
Fire Hand (Str cost: 2)
Death Blow (Str cost: 3)
Mind Over Matter (Str cost: 4)
Adventure Items
Sword, rations, Map of the Wailing Forest
Issel's stats:
Strength: 10/10
Swordsmanship: 12/12
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Although you both try to call to the old man, he does not respond. He appears asleep, although you have your private doubts about that. You have little choice but to walk towards him.
As you step together down the marble hall towards the seated old man, the floor beneath your feet begins to tilt downwards. Make an Agility roll.

If you succeed in rolling less than or equal to your Agility score, turn 43.
If you fail, turn to 339.
Dice roll = 9 (Success).

There's a 2-player grid here, but it's not about choices, but rather a similar stat test at Issel's end...
Luckily, you have both managed to avoid falling into the pit, which has opened up in the floor of the marble hall. Cautiously stepping around it, you continue together towards the sleeping old man.
The old man still slumbers peacefully on his throne. Your next steps send up a shower of sparks and a terrible shock rushes through your body, but you continue.
Your next step causes the marble hall to disappear and you find yourselves in the centre of a wide, circular arena. The sleeping old man and his throne are still there, a little way off, but between them and you is a horrible creature with the head of a bull and the body of a man - it is a minotaur!

As the minotaur charges, you prepare to fight it. The minotaur will attack you each in turn and you should be wary - its horn are so lethal that you must lose 4 Strength points every time it hits you.

Minotaur: Horns 8 Strength 14

If Issel is killed at any time during the fight, you should turn at once to 34.
If you manage to kill the minotaur and you both survive, turn to 149.
Without the use of magic there's not much strategy to speak of. Pretty much the only thing Darian can to is to keep swinging his sword and hopes he scores a double-2. The Minotaur can potentially kill both of you in 3 rounds each while Issel needs 7 to kill it without rolling a double-2. Your best prayer is that it will miss at least twice....

However, there is an annoyingly ambiguous point about combat. The book states that if the PC is fighting more than 1 opponent at a time, he needs to split his swordsmanship skill by he number of opponents. It DOESN'T say that opponents need to do the same if they have to fight both PCs simultaneously, though, even though it would make sense.

In light of how difficult this fight is otherwise, I'm going to rule that the enemy has to go through the same penalty, otherwise your chances are low.

COMBAT LOG:
Darian rolls 6 and misses.
Issel rolls 7 and hits. Minotaur now at 12.
Minotaur rolls 4 and hits Darian. Darian now at 8.
Minotaur rolls 7 and misses Issel.
Darian rolls 4 and misses.
Issel rolls 10 and hits. Minotaur now at 10.
Minotaur rolls 7 and misses Darian.
Minotaur rolls 8 and misses Issel.
Darian rolls 7 and misses.
Issel rolls 8 and hits. Minotaur now at 8.
Minotaur rolls 12 and misses Issel.
Darian rolls 6 and misses.
Issel rolls 8 and hits. Minotaur now at 6.
Minotaur rolls 3 and hits Darian. Darian now at 4.
Minotaur rolls 11 and misses Issel.
Darian rolls 7 and misses.
Issel rolls 7 and hits. Minotaur now at 4.
Minotaur rolls 4 and hits Issel. Issel now at 6.
Darian rolls 9 and misses.
Issel rolls 3 and hits. Minotaur now at 2.
Minotaur rolls 9 and misses Darian.
Minotaur rolls 8 and misses Issel.
Darian rolls 2 and scores an auto-kill. Minotaur is dead!
.....yeah, Darian got his auto-kill....but Issel would have killed it in that round anyway. :/
As the minotaur dies, the arena shimmers and fades, and you find yourselves back in the marble hall. The old man is still sitting peacefully, but you are sure by now that he cannot be asleep. Taking another step towards him, you are shocked to find the floor beneath your feet has taken on the shape and solidity of a cloud! You are now both walking across a white cloud towards where the old man floats in his throne.

Do you believe that the clouds are solid? Of course not, but you must believe it now. Concentrating as hard as you can, you try to believe that the white, fluffy substance across which you are walking is actually firm enough to support you.

To concentrate on this idea, you must strain so hard that you expend 1 Strength point. (If your Strength level has fallen to zero then you are dead.)

To test if your belief is strong enough, you should roll two six-sided dice.

If the number you roll is 8 or more, turn to 122.
If the number you roll is less than 8, turn to 166.
Strength is now down to 3....

Dice roll = 6.
You have failed to believe that the surface on which you stand is solid, and you sink rapidly. Soon you are enclosed in white and you feel that you are falling at an ever-increasing rate towards the ground, which rushes up to meet you. Seconds before you hit it, you wince at the expected impact and sit bolt upright.

Opening your eyes you are surprised to discover yourself back in the Glade of Dreams. You have jerked awake moments before you would have died. Looking across at Issel's sleeping body, you see that he is still dreaming; you must wait for him to wake. Ignore any numbers that Issel calls out from now on unless they are one of the following: 162 or 17.

If Issel calls out 162, turn to 162.
If Issel calls out 17, turn to 71.
Issel must now deal with whatever other threats in his dream on his own......
Issel's eyes flicker open and you rush to kneel beside him, anxious to learn what he has dreamed. He tells you of his experiences and you exchange stories.
Stiff and sore from your efforts made in your dreams, you walk around the Glade of Dreams for a while and then sit together by the pool to discuss your options. It seems that if here is more than one person in the glade, they both dream the same thing, so you decide to take the dreams in sequence: first you will both try to dream about changing lead to gold; then, if that dream is successful, you will both try to dream of making Issel King. If neither dream is successful, then you will have to decide which of you will leave the glade while the other dreams alone.

When you have rested and eaten, restore your Strength to its original value. You lie down once more and, concentrating on your quest, you try to fall asleep.
Opening your eyes, you find that nothing has changed: you are still in the Glade of Dreams. Beside you, Issel too has his eyes opened and seems equally puzzled. But he seems suspicious and suggesta that you are in fact dreaming now. There is one easy way to test this. In the last dream magic did not work. If it does not work now, then you will know you are dreaming.

Will you attempt a spell?
Or will you let Issel try one?
Again, you are to come to a consensus on this with Issel's players, so discuss this in the main thread. You may also exchange stories of what happened after you were separated in your dreams.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The simple conjuring trick you try works. As you turn to tell Issel this, something happens that drives all thought of magic from your mind. Issel points and you spin around. Behind you a dark hole is opening up in the centre of the Glade of Dreams. Rising, you both move forward cautiously to investigate.

It is the entrance to some kind of sloping tunnel, leading deep underground beneath the Glade of Dreams.

Will you follow it together?
Or will you be more cautious and use the Sense Danger spell? If so, decide between you who will use the spell and turn to 258.
This "simple conjuring trick" seems similar to what happened at the beginning of the last dream so it seems like Darian can test his magic without having to cast one of the Strength-draining spells.

The Sense Danger spell will definitely cost Strength though, so please decide between you if you wish to use here, and who to cast it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

So not forget to reduce your Strength by 1 point after using the Sense Danger spell.

The spell works, and there is indeed danger surrounding this tunnel opening: a great deal of it! To follow the tunnel underground would be extremely dangerous. Decide together what you will do.

Will you follow the tunnel underground?
Or will you stay in the glade and try once more to dream of changing lead to gold?
Penetrate the extremely dangerous hole? (Yes, this is yet another consensus option.)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Deciding to ignore this strange subterranean entrance, you move together as far away from it as you can before lying down once more. Any thoughts you might have had of trying to dream are thrown completely by the sound that emanates from the tunnel mouth: the mighty roar of a dragon. It is not a challenging sound, but one filled with pain! What will you do? Decide together.

Will you follow the tunnel underground to investigate the source of this noise?
Or will you wait above ground and see what happens next?
Are you still sure you want to ignore the underground tunnel?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I can't get a read on this at all. But I guess generically-heroic behavior is the way. I vote to risk the terrible danger to rescue the dragon.
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

Rescue the dragon. It's been a weird few weeks, I fogrot about this place.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Omegonthesane wrote:Rescue the dragon. It's been a weird few weeks, I fogrot about this place.
I think you forgot about which character you were playing too. You were playing as the Warrior, so this is the wrong thread. :tongue:

Your vote has, however, solved a tiebreak between Darth and angel (this was another option that required consensus), so rescue the dragon it is!
Cautiously you approach the tunnel entrance together. A flight of shallow stone steps leads into the darkness below, curving out of sight. Side by side, you descend the steps slowly, picking your way carefully. As you descend, you detect a faint glimmer of flickering light ahead, which grows stronger and stronger until you emerge into a vast, underground cavern. Here a strange and peculiar sight greets your eyes.

The cavern is lit by flickering torches, and at one end of it you recognize the monstrous form of the dragon that you met when entering the glade. You are surprised to see the dragon here, but even more surprised to see that it is held securely in place by magic bonds, so that it is unable to move and unable to use its own mighty magic against the group of six men, each armed either with a mighty broadsword or with the staff and cloak of a wizard, that assails it from all sides.

Flashes of magical fire and the gleam of swinging blades follow one another in swift succession as the men attack the trapped beast. The dragon is bleeding from several deep wounds and is scorched along almost the entire length of its body - something you would have thought to be impossible, for dragons are immune to fire. But these burns have been caused by the blasts of energy which the wizard throw at the ancient Guardian.

Although not a full wizard, you can imagine the forces and powers needed to bind such a powerful beast so securely. Surely these magicians must be mighty wizards, greatest among their peoples. You both step forward together for a better view, wincing and another ball of flame strikes the dragon and it roars in pain.
If you had hoped to escape notice you have failed. One of the three wizards turns from the dragon and his gaze falls upon you. He shouts and the others turn as well. You have very little time in which to make a joint decision.

Will you turn and flee back up the steps?
Or will you walk forward and greet them?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Let us reason together.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Good to see that all the players are well and safe considering recent events.

I think this is a first time PC1 actually comes across a section with illustrations. Issel has had a few at his end during this playthrough but not Darian:
Raising your hands in greeting, you walk towards the strangers. When they are sure that you mean them no harm, five of them turn back to the dragon and he roars in pain once more. The fifth man, a wizard, moves to greet you.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" he asks in a curt manner and you explain yourselves to him.

When you have finished, he smiles. "You know little of the Glade of Dreams," he tells you both. "You know, of course, that this creature is its Guardian, but what you do not know is that it is only this creature's power that maintains the glade. While we hold it prisoner down here, the power of the glade will continue. If we were to stop torturing it, it would soon escape the magical bonds which we have put about him and leave, destroying the glade and much of the Wailing Forest. The wise men of three kingdoms meet regularly to choose which heroes and magicians should have the responsibility of keeping this creature in torment so that they may use its powers to benefit humanity."

Thoughtlessly, Issel remarks that it seems cruel and the man laughs, although his frown tells you that he is not pleased with his words.

"Of course it is cruel," he says, as if he were speaking to a child, but with a hint of menace in his voice. "If this dragon were allowed to free itself, what we do here would be as nothing to the terror and suffering it would cause to the outside world. This is the last of the dragons, the most powerful of its race - a race that, in its day, caused untold havoc in the world. What we do to it here is as nothing compared to what it has done in his long and evil life." The wizard then invites you both to help him and his companions. Decide jointly what to do.

Will you accept?
Or will you ask for a little time to discuss it?
Accept this new job as a professional torturer?