Space Madness: Odic Profile

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

What frivolous detail should be included in the advanced stages of Odic Calibration?

Horoscope
29%
Fursona/Patronus
29%
Blood Type
6%
Favorite Radiation
18%
Favorite Dessert
18%
None. It shouldn't give as much info as you are suggesting
No votes

Total votes: 17

virgil
King

Space Madness: Odic Profile

Post by virgil »

When performing an Odic Calibration, you can generate an in-depth profile of individuals who have been present in an area. Currently, there is no standard of what this profile would consist of, and as such I'm seeking to establish it.
[*]Name: The one they most commonly go by
[*]Species and Native cert, if any
[*]Threat Assessment
[*]Number of stress & cracks
[*]Complex emotions experienced

I want to include a frivolous detail in this, the options in the survey above. If you feel the profile should have more/less/different information, I'm all ears, especially if you're the author.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
erik
King

Post by erik »

With the stars being right and all that, I lean toward horoscope. I’ll withhold my vote in case I’m persuaded otherwise.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I voted Horoscope. In Japan, Blood Type is used a lot like horoscopes, but it also has a history of excluding people/claims of superiority so using it might be problematic.
-This space intentionally left blank
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

Blood type seems to be the most useful of those.
Which is why I'll go with Favorite Dessert (Revenge, anyone?)
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

deaddmwalking wrote:it also has a history of excluding people/claims of superiority so using it might be problematic.
Is being problematic inappropriate for Space Madness?
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

You should endeavor not to put things in your game that give cover to shitty people and their views. Especially when you're explicitly and spesifically doing it frivolously.

So yes, for Space Madness and for any game.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

deaddmwalking wrote:In Japan, Blood Type is used a lot like horoscopes, but it also has a history of excluding people/claims of superiority so using it might be problematic.
I was going to vote for Blood Type because of the first part, not having heard the second part before. So, horoscope, I guess.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Thaluikhain wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:In Japan, Blood Type is used a lot like horoscopes, but it also has a history of excluding people/claims of superiority so using it might be problematic.
I was going to vote for Blood Type because of the first part, not having heard the second part before. So, horoscope, I guess.
Wikipedia Article about it
Blood type harassment, called "bura-hara" (wasei-eigo: a portmanteau of "blood" and "harassment"), has been blamed for bullying of children in playgrounds, loss of job opportunities, and ending of happy relationships.[41]

Many people have been discriminated against because of their blood type. Employers ask blood types during interviews despite the warnings they have been given. Children at schools have been split up according to their blood type. The national softball team has customized training to fit each player's blood type. Companies have given work assignments according to their employee's blood type.[42]

However, these episodes are thought to be more or less exaggerated—as well as horoscope addiction in Europe or the US, which is sometimes reported in Japan. No blood-type harassment trials have been reported, so far. In reality, most Japanese people don't think blood types determine their personalities, but affect it in some degree.[34][35
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

It may be out of tone for the game, but I love "Favorite Dessert" as a bit of comic relief and or grisly cannibal horror.