[Let's Play] Give Yourself Goosebumps: Into the Jaws of Doom

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which book should I run next?

Storytrails 3: The Evil of Mr. Happiness
No votes
Storytrails 4: The Haunters of Marsh Hall
33%
Virtual Reality 1: Green Blood
No votes
Virtual Reality 3: The Coils of Hate
No votes
Virtual Reality 4: Necklace of Skulls
67%

Total votes: 3

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

[Let's Play] Give Yourself Goosebumps: Into the Jaws of Doom

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So this was the runner-up in my LP thread. I've set up a poll in this thread to decide the next one.
BEWARE!!
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK FROM BEGINNING TO END!

ARE YOU READY FOR THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE?

It's a whole new way to GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS. There's only one way out! If you don't make all the right moves—in the right order—you'll never see the light of day again.
Here's the deal: You went on a class trip to the Hall of Science. When the rest of the class left, you stayed behind to finish a video game. Bad idea. Because now an evil Super Computer doesn't want you to leave—ever!
You're in deep trouble. The hall is full of dangers. Like a deadly Mirror Maze. A giant, thirsty mosquito. And a flock of model dinosaurs with very sharp teeth!
And remember, there's only one way out. Make one mistake—and you're history.

NOW, GET READY TO TAKE THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE!

[Look for the solution in the back of Give Yourself Goosebumps #27: Checkout Time at the Dead-end Hotel.]

GAME OVER!
"No!" You slam your fist on the table as the words scroll across the computer screen. You lost again!
But you're getting better. I almost made it to level five that time, you congratulate yourself.
This class trip to the Hall of Incredible Science is much better than being in school. You figured a museum would be boring. But the hall is full of all kinds of gadgets, nature displays, and other cool stuff. The best part is the Thinking Machine Room. It's got incredible video games—including one based on your favorite movie of all time, Operation Buzzard.
They just announced that it's time for the bus to take you back to school. Most of your class has already headed downstairs. But you can't resist playing one more game.
You punch the START button. You hear the opening notes. A jungle scene appears in front of you.
Suddenly the screen goes blank.
Huh? Did the computer crash?
Then a message appears on the screen.
"Help me! The Super Computer has taken over!"
"What?" you mutter. Is one of the other kids from your class playing some kind of joke on you?
You glance around. There's no one else in the room.
Oh, well. You have to go anyway.
You leave the room and step into the open elevator.
But when the doors slide shut, it doesn't move.
You punch the buttons. You punch the buttons again.
Nothing happens.
You're trapped!
Don't panic, you tell yourself. You grab the emergency phone. "Hello? Hello?" you shout into the receiver.
A strange, deep voice answers. "You have learned my secret. Now you cannot leave the Hall of Incredible Science alive!"
"What secret?" you gasp. "Who are you?"
"I am the Super Computer," the voice declares. "I have taken over this entire building. But since you got that message, you know too much. Now you must be destroyed!"
"Wait!" you plead. "I thought that message was just a joke. I won't tell anyone. I promise!"
The voice just laughs.
Then the elevator jolts into motion.
You have a feeling you won't like where it's taking you.
INSTRUCTIONS

You are so doomed.
You're trapped in the Hall of Incredible Science. An evil computer has taken over, and you know its secret. Now it wants to silence you—forever.
The hall is filled with dangers. Every exhibit has been turned into a deadly menace. Even the building itself is out to get you!
There's only one way to get out of the building. To find it, you'll have to make all the right choices. Make a single mistake—and you'll never see the light of day again!
Let's face it. You probably won't last five minutes.
But just to make it interesting, turn the page for a few tips. If you read them carefully, you might just survive long enough to amuse the Super Computer before you're destroyed.
Of course, you might make it even madder...
LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED

The hall is full of deadly puzzles that you'll have to solve. Explore every room of the hall carefully. Remembering what you've seen will help you put the pieces together.
You may want to keep track of where you've gone. Each floor of the hall has a map that you should try to find. The maps have clues to help you figure out how to escape that floor.
You may also get some help from the "friend" who sent you the message. But your mystery pal is no match for the Super Computer.
INVENTORY

As you play, you'll have the opportunity to pick up useful gadgets, weapons, and other objects. When you pick up an object, write it down on the inventory list on page x.
But decide carefully before adding an object to your list. Remember, not everything in the Hall of Incredible Science is safe to play with! An object might be useful in one situation, but in another, it could lead to a sticky end. And some objects will just get you in trouble, no matter what you do with them.
Remember, too, that you may need certain objects in order to get other objects. This means you might have to explore a room more than once in order to get what you need.
FOLLOW THE NUMBERS

There are 238 numbered sections in the book. Begin with #1. Then choose where to go next. Follow the directions at the end of each section. You will usually have several choices about what to do.
DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?

You'll also need a pair of dice. Sometimes, fighting a battle or doing something tricky will require that you roll a certain number. For example, an instruction might read:

Will you make it across the elevator shaft?
Roll to find out.
If you roll 8 or higher, go to #32.
If you roll 7 or lower, go to #164.

Roll the two dice. If they add up to 8 or higher, go to #32. If they add up to 7 or lower, go to #164.

That's all the advice you get. Not that it'll help. Oh, just one more thing: Don't forget to GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS!
The elevator finally stops on the top floor of the Hall of Incredible Science. The doors slide open. You step out and immediately the doors whiz shut behind you. You gaze around.
There's no one here. The whole hall must be empty by now. But the back of your neck prickles. You can feel an evil presence watching you.
How are you going to escape?

Try the elevator again?
Try to find a telephone?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We probably won't find the telephone, but let's go look anyway to explore the place.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Yeah, there's no reason the elevator will suddenly stop being a dick. Find a phone.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You spot a row of phones just down the hallway. Across from them is a door marked FIRE STAIRS.
As you walk down the hall, you hear a whirring sound.
You peer up. You notice little TV cameras mounted high on the walls. They're turning as you walk. Following you.
Spying on you.
You shudder. How creepy!
Then a shrill noise startles you.
One of the phones is ringing!
You dart over to answer it.

You pick up the phone. "Hello?"
"Looks like I got you into trouble," a small voice says.
"What?" You frown, puzzled. "Who is this?"
"I sent you that message. But the Super Computer caught me," the voice explains. "Now that you know its secret, it wants to kill you!"
"No kidding!" you shout. "Who are you, anyway?"
"You can call me Peedee A.," the voice states.
"What kind of name is that?" you demand.
"There's no time to explain. You're in terrible danger!"

"To escape, you'll have to defeat the Super Computer," Peedee A. continues.
This is too weird! "How do I do that?" you ask.
"First, you'll have to get down to the second floor. That's where I am. But don't use the elevators," Peedee A. warns. "The Super Computer controls them. It controls the whole building."
"Great," you moan. It's as if the biggest bully in school is out to get you. Times a million!

The voice starts to say something else. But you interrupt.
"Wait," you demand. "How do I know I can trust you?
The voice hesitates. "I guess you don't," it finally says.
Oh, man. This field trip is getting worse and worse.
"Oops!" Peedee A. exclaims. "The Super Computer has traced me. I have to go now. Bye."
The line goes dead. Now what?

Try the elevator again?
Try the fire stairs?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Stairs.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If we want to find out whether that guy can be trusted, might as well find out at the earliest possible.

Fire stairs.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You head for the fire stairs.
The door is bright red. Next to the handle is a big label that reads FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY.
Well, you figure this is an emergency.
You reach for the door handle.

ZAAAAAAAP!
A bolt of electricity shoots through your body. Someone must have connected a zillion volts to this door! It feels as if your hand is on fire!
You've got to let go. But your fingers won't open!
Can you pry your hand off before you get electrocuted?

Can you let go of the door? Roll to find out. (6)

You wrench your hand from the door. The effort throws you back onto the floor. You clutch your tingling fingers.
This whole building is a booby trap!
So how are you going to get out?
You suppose you could try the elevator again. But will it do you any good? You know the Super Computer controls it.
Maybe, instead, you should search for a way to open the door without getting fried.
Which will it be?

Search for a way to open the door?
Try the elevator again?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If the Super Computer doesn't want us to open it, then we absolutely should.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Find an insulator to open the door with.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

There must be something on this floor that will help you open the fire door. Something that will protect your hand from the electricity.
You decide to search for a map. If you're going to get out of here, you'll need one!
You find an information booth not too far from the elevator.
There's a big map of the whole fourth floor.

(Never stated prior, despite being a reasonable option: look for a map from the get go).

This map shows the fourth floor.

You quickly sketch it into your notebook for later use. If you ever need to refer to it again, turn back to #220.
There are four places you can get to from here.
One is the elevator, which you know you can't trust. So that's out.
Then there's the fire stairs.
The Aerodynamics Room is full of things that fly—like airplanes, birds, and helicopters. And the Space Travel Room is all about space exploration.
One of them must have something you could use to help you get through this horrible hall.
Where do you want to go?

The Aerodynamics Room?
The Space Travel Room?
Try the fire stairs?

Character Sheet:
Map at 220
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Space travel.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I think "Aerodynamics" might give us some knowledge or tool that will help us in space travel, so half a vote for that (with only 2 players thus far I don't want to cause a draw).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I suggest space travel.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You decide to check out the Space Travel Room.
A chill runs up your spine as you enter. It's dark in here, and spooky music plays through hidden speakers.
An empty space suit stands across the room. Its black visor seems to stare at you.
An old Mercury space capsule sits in the center of the floor. It looks like a huge tin can with door in it. You can't believe anyone actually went into space in that thing! The hatch is open. It's completely dark inside.
Beside the capsule, there's a full-scale model of the space shuttle's robot arm. It's a twenty-foot-long metal crane—with a claw big enough to crush your head.
What should you do?

Check out the space suit?
Take a look at the capsule?
Got the creeps? Back out of the room.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Space suit.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We'll need to suit up before we use the capsule.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You approach the space suit. It's wearing a jet pack like the kind astronauts use in space.
The suit is old and dusty and much bigger than you.
You sure hope it's really empty!
One of the space gloves seems loose. Hey. A big glove like that could come in handy for touching dangerous things.
What do you think?

Take the space glove?
Check out the capsule instead?
Leave the space travel room?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Take the glove and leave. Absolutely do not enter and subsequently get shut into the capsule by the robot arm.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I second taking the glove and going away to avoid risking any arm/harm puns.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Take glove
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You carefully pull the glove from the space suit.
It comes off with a SNAP. You slide your hand into it.
Write Space Glove on your inventory list.
Then you whirl at a terrible scraping sound behind you.

You gasp. The robot arm—it's moving!
It's reaching out and grabbing the floor. Dragging itself toward you. In a few more seconds, it'll be able to grab you.
You don't think it wants to shake hands.
Should you try to run around it? It has an awfully long reach!
Or maybe you could use the jet pack from the space suit to escape.
What should you do? Think fast!

Run past the robot arm?
Use the jet pack?
If you have the boomerang...

Inventory List:
Space Glove
Map at 220
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Try to run past
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Half a vote for the jet pack, which seems an entertainingly bad idea.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I think the aero display first (to get the boomerang) was indeed the correct move, and neither of the other options are good, but running seems like a better bet than the jetpack.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You turn and race toward the door. The robot arm shoots out and grabs at you.
It misses. You scramble away.
But you trip and fall!
You roll under an old rocket engine. Ouch! You've twisted your ankle. You get up and limp toward the door.
The robot arm is right behind you!
Then you feel its metal grip around your throat, squeezing harder and harder. You're starting to black out...
Now you know the meaning of the phrase "ARMed and dangerous!"
GAME OVER

It really feels like there should have been some sort of "Test your Luck" style roll there. So, what do we want to do:
Try the jet pack?
Leave the glove and check out the space capsule?
Check out the aero display instead?