[Nostalgia LP] Mystery of the Snow Pearls

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

[Nostalgia LP] Mystery of the Snow Pearls

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I've got that pbp Let's Play urge again. I present two dishes:

1) Mystery of the Snow Pearls
One of the few TSR solo games, it plays a lot like a gamebook where the system is BECMI D&D. You are a 10th-level Elf on an extended fetch quest, matching wits with a prankster magic-user.

2) Kill Bargle
In the last print issue of Dungeon (#150), they did a 3e remake of the dungeon from the Basic DM book, wherein everyone who got started playing with the red box could get closure with an official scenario wherein Bargle is killed. It needs a minimum of four players and at a glance seems unreasonably difficult, so bring your most ruthless tactics. PCs are level 3, PHB content only.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Mon May 20, 2019 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I'm interested in a D&D game, but you'll have to explain to me who Bargle is, what he can do, and what kind of dangers the previous adventure had.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Honestly, if you don't already have a burning hatred in your heart for Bargle, you probably aren't in the target audience. But I'll break it down for you.

It went kind of like this...
...only I was six years old, and scarred for life.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So what happens in ending #2?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You need a 17+ to save. There is no ending #2.

In theory, you resist the charm, either kill or drive off the wizard, get somewhat better loot, and take your friend home for burial.

Yeah, it's possible (13%?) to get instant vengeance, but I have actually never met anyone who both made the save and killed the wizard on their first try. And the assumption is that even if you managed it, he was feigning or something, because he's in the first 'fill-in-yourself' dungeon, and also a recurring NPC in the BECMI setting.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

But... wha? Then why did they even number the ending?!

I can see why people hate Blargleflargle.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

As there's insufficient interest to Kill Bargle, I'm presenting the other one:

The Back Cover wrote:One of four magical snow white pearls protecting Tarylon has been stolen! And you, a Companion level elf are responsible for its safe keeping. Now the very existence of your beautiful village is threatened unless you can find the powerful pearl. Milgor, the evil wizard with a sense of fun, challenges you to find the pearl and return it to Tarylon.

But it's not that easy.

Time is running out while you try to discover and solve the riddles of Milgor in this exciting puzzling adventure. Time is running out for Tarylon!
The Magic Viewer™ System is the old saw where chunks of text are obscured with squiggledy red ink, which can be bypassed by looking through red cellophane. That sort of thing was a popular gimmick in the 80s, and I'm actually surprised that this is the first time I've seen it used for CYOA content. It's used to good purpose, allowing the content to be arranged in logical easy-to-find order, while making spoiling any of it hard to do by accident. It's also very difficult to legibly scan.

The front page is also a table of contents, and we are promised a great diversity of things. The first grouping is areas: A Beginning, the Wilderness, Village of Gyer, Outer Court, Middle Ring, Inner Circle, Center of the Dungeon, and Story Endings. (Oo, multiple endings.) The second groupin is random encounters by area. Then we have all the miscellany: Rumors, Spells, Treasures, Items, Monsters. Charts and Tables are all on the inside of the removable cover, and there's also a map, much of which is Magic Viewer™-ified.

Let's meet our PC:
Christov Yetta, 10th Level Elf (2.1 million exp)
125 years old, Lawful
Fair-skinned and auburn-haired, Christov is a sprite 5'3" and 119 lbs. His steel gray eyes and firm jawline present a deadly menace to enemies. Christov is a doughty warrior, but has a kind heart and champions the oppressed. He has a strong love for his people and will do whatever it takes to return the bounty to the land. Considered fearless, Christov in reality is terrified of drowning and falling.
Abilities: Str 12, Int 17, Wis 13, Dex 14, Con 16, Cha 11
Saves: Poison 2+, Wands 4+, Paralysis 4+, Breath 3+, Spells 2+
HP: 64, Armor Class: 0, THAC0: 7
XP: 0, Honor: 5, Persistence: 3, Selfishness: 2
Spells:
Level 1 (5): Magic Missile, Read Magic, Sleep, Ventriloquism
Level 2 (4): Invisibility, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force, Web
Level 3 (3): Haste, Hold Person, Fireball, Slow
Level 4 (2): Curse, Remove Curse, Shrink Plant, Wall of Fire
Level 5 (1): Dissolve
Possessions: Chain Mail +3, Healing Potion*, Hand Axe*, Rope*, Polished Shield*, Oil*, Dagger, Grapple*, Backpack, Cloak*, 90 gp, Rations (5 days), Waterskin (5 drinks)
I'm 95% certain that Christov's oddly specific fears aren't just humanizing character flaws, but excuses to restrict his travel on the overland map. He also has access to three 'Special Attacks.' If his adjusted to-hit roll is 2+, he can attack twice/round. If he is willing to suck up striking last and taking -5 to hit, he deals +12 (his Str score) damage. Finally, while facing an armed opponent, he can parry, giving his opponent -4 to hit at the cost of not attacking himself, which is obviously a very poor choice most of the time.

I am now going to summarize much of the 'How To Use This Adventure' section.
• Gear that I have marked with an asterisk* has its own reference, and can be attempted to be used at any time by turning to that reference.
• Honor, Persistence, and Selfishness are used to 'score your performance during the adventure.'
• XP is distinct from 'exp;' it is increased by defeating monsters, and you can spend it before you roll a die to modify the result up or down. the modifier is +/-1 per XP spent, to a max of +/-5.
• Defeated monsters stay defeated, if a monster is attached to a location and you defeat it, don't fight it again.
• During the adventure you will find pieces of a broken tablet; when you do, record the words you find in the tablet outline.
• Use the outdoor map in the Wilderness to select the path you want to take, then move from hex to hex until you enter a numbered location or special keyed terrain. For every six hexes you move, mark off one turn and roll for a random encounter.
• Non-wilderness areas use path/node maps.
• There are several riddles to solve in the adventure, which lead to your foe's lair and weaknesses and must be solved to complete the quest. If you cannot solve a riddle, explore some more, clues may be found in other encounters.
• As a last resort you may consult the Scroll of Wisdom, which is a progressive hint system. Each hint you take will reduce your score.

• When you encounter a monster, there may be surprise. A wandering monster is always surprised. You and other monsters have a 33% chance to be surprised. If only one side is surprised, the other gets a free round.
• Initiative is determined each round with opposed d6 rolls and you winning ties.
• On the first round of an encounter you may cast a spell or try to talk.
• Options available on all rounds are attack, evade, or item.
• Attack is the to-hit/to-damage sequence. Monsters always choose attack unless otherwise stated. Up to 6 foes may attack you in 1 round.
• Evading is an attempt to escape, and rolls 1d20 vs the enemy's evade TN. If you are already fighting, the enemy gets a free attack at +2. You can get +4 to your evade roll by throwing down a ration (if the monster is dumb) or a treasure (if the monster is smart).
• Using an item always loses initiative. Normal gear can only be used when the entry allows it, magic items are not restricted.
• Using a thrown weapon always wins initiative, applies a -1 to hit, and the enemy must beat its own evade TN or fall back and not attack for one round. Monsters with evade TN 16+ will flee. If the foe does not retreat, it will get an extra attack on you. A thrown weapon is lost if you don't win the fight.
• You can heal by returning to Tarylon without the missing pearl, but this will be a disgrace (presumably tanking your score). Once per 20 turns you can eat a ration to heal d4 hp. Every 20 turns that you do not eat a ration, you lose 2 hp. One drink's worth of water will soothe burns, healing d4 hp after a fire encounter.

And finally, the opening.
The name and deeds of Christov Yetta are acclaimed across the land – protector, forestfriend, tenslayer, wolfbane. You are also treebrother, only brother to your clan's Keeper of the sacred Tree of Life. You live in Tarylon Elfhome, renowned for its beauty and bounty. Yet today there is a quiet gloom in the air and at twilight you are summoned to the Keeper's Grove.

"Christov, my brother, I wish to share the secret of Tarylon's fortune with you. Many years ago, while fetching spring water beneath a full moon, I had a most wondrous encounter. A mighty being, perhaps a god, appeared to me upon a moonbeam. He said that I, Enan, and my people, had been chosen to receive a special gift." Your brother shows you three snow-white pearls the size of acorns.

"He bade me to guard these dearly, and every full moon to encircle our Tree with one at each of the four winds; in that moonlight, the glow of these gems would strengthen our Tree, the heartblood of our village. Our Tree, in its vigor, radiates a magical ring of protection which repels all evil from our borders. But as you can see, only three snow pearls remain, the spell is broken!

"It was Milgor, that prankster wizard from over the Diahaye Mountains who did this! While I sat meditating, he came in the form of a jay, and when I looked away to the song of a finch, he purloined the purest pearl of the four! Do not let yourself be distracted from your purpose while in the Grove.

"You must seek him out for me, for I may not leave the Grove; and you must not return without the pearl – swear this to me! You must return before the full moon in three days or word will surely reach the bandit town of Rheega that Tarylon is now defenseless.

"Three things I give you to help you on your journey. First, take these three remaining moongems – they will glow as they near their brother. Second, be steadfast and courageous, turning first to cunning, not combat, and seek the wise woman – it is said that a bird knows where she roosts. Third, there is a broken tablet that is said to show Milgor's weakness. If you can find all the pieces as put them together, you shall overcome him! I have one piece for you here.
–––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––Pearl–––––

"Take this amulet also. If any harm befalls it, I shall know that ill has overtaken you and may send another. Your gear is packed, prepare yourself and embark on the quest!"

Prepare your spells, and:
• Set off at once?
• Go bid your mother farewell?
• Seek your grandsire's counsel?
• Retire to the Grove to meditate?
If y'all don't choose spell prep, I'll do it. Do you want two copies of Shrink Plant? That's what I'll give you.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:As there's insufficient interest to Kill Bargle
I actually meant to express my interest in doing exactly that. My bad.
Bargle was the original Lorcan, so fuck that guy. My new headcanon is that Bargle's ghost is "the man in the shroud." PROVE ME WRONG MICHAEL J WARD
So for Christov's spells:
1st: 1 Read Magic, 1 Sleep, 1 Ventriloquism, and 2 Magic Missiles.
2nd: 1 Invisibility, 1 Mirror Image, 1 Phantasmal Force, 1 Web.
3rd: 1 Haste, 1 Hold Person and 1 Fireball.
4th: 1 Remove Curse and 1 Wall of Fire.
5th: 1 Dissolve.

Anyways, seeking our grandsire's counsel seems the most likely to give us something useful, so go with that.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Seconding seeing grandsire.

I like Darth Rabbitt's spell list, but would swap one magic missile for another read magic.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I tossed a coin, and Read Magic won.
Your grandsire, once a mighty warrior, is happy that you sought his counsel. "Trust your heart, son, your eyes can be deceived, for evil will try to lure you from your path." He gives you his Battle Axe +1 (it deals 1d8+3 damage), which no door can hold against. Also, there is a small amber crystal. When your need is great, break this stone and you will escape one encounter. Beware! It cannot undo what has happened. Gain 1 Honor.
This is representative of all the initial choices, which give you a primary weapon, a minor magic item, and some advice.
South lies enchanted Tarylon; in twilight and north spread the wild lands.
• If you have been here before...
• If not... √
Hard trials lie before you, best be on your way. You spy a small bird caught in the thorns of a plum tree. You free the bird, and may decide to keep it.
Where to? And do you want to keep a small bird in your hood?
125 years old, Lawful
Fair-skinned and auburn-haired, Christov is a sprite 5'3" and 119 lbs. His steel gray eyes and firm jawline present a deadly menace to enemies. Christov is a doughty warrior, but has a kind heart and champions the oppressed. He has a strong love for his people and will do whatever it takes to return the bounty to the land. Considered fearless, Christov in reality is terrified of drowning and falling.
XP: 0, Honor: 6, Persistence: 3, Selfishness: 2
Spells Prepared:
Level 1: Magic Missile, Read Magic x2, Sleep, Ventriloquism
Level 2: Invisibility, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force, Web
Level 3: Haste, Hold Person, Fireball
Level 4: Remove Curse, Wall of Fire
Level 5: Dissolve
Possessions: Battle Axe +1, Chain Mail +3, Healing Potion*, Amber Crystal of Escape, Hand Axe*, Rope*, Polished Shield*, Oil*, Dagger, Grapple*, Backpack, Cloak*, 90 gp, Rations (5 days), Waterskin (5 drinks)
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Keep the bird, visit 2.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

It is 10 hexes to encounter #2, at hex 6 we roll for an encounter.
[d20=19] Your keen sight has detected something hidden in the undergrowth. (1d6: 1=worthless junk, 2-3=Coin, 4-5=Rumor, 6=Potion) [d6=5]
Presumably a scrap of parchment wrote:Stay your path from the mysterious miry marsh. Ill breeds there and breathes there. Fiery death awaits!
Moving on to Encounter #2:
You find a well-worn trail leading to a cave.

• Enter?
• Call out?
• Try to sneak in?
• Search the near bushes?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Search random bushes.

EDIT: Oh, should I say that with 12 pages of singing and a made up language? Playing an elf and all...
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Mon May 20, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I think when your elf is named Christov Yetta you have free reign to not be pretentious. Also, I totally appreciate this module's attitude towards brevity.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

From the brush, a furry brown snarling fury rears on powerful haunches, swiping with deadly claws.
Neither side is surprised.
• Spell
• Talk

• Fight
• Evade
• Item – there is a special option to use rope to lasso the whatever-it-is.
125 years old, Lawful
XP: 0, Honor: 6, Persistence: 3, Selfishness: 2
Spells Prepared:
Level 1: Magic Missile, Read Magic x2, Sleep, Ventriloquism
Level 2: Invisibility, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force, Web
Level 3: Haste, Hold Person, Fireball
Level 4: Remove Curse, Wall of Fire
Level 5: Dissolve
Possessions: Battle Axe +1, Chain Mail +3, Healing Potion*, Amber Crystal of Escape, Hand Axe*, Rope*, Polished Shield*, Oil*, Dagger, Grapple*, Backpack, Cloak*, 90 gp, Rations (5 days), Waterskin (5 drinks), Small Bird*
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Lasso!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Lasso the furry fury.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Using an item loses initiative, so we get attacked first, and our opponent is:
1 Bear; Save 14; Evade 16
Talk –; AC 5; THAC0 12; Atk: d8/d8/d10
Spcl: 1-2 (M37), 10-11 (M38), 19-20 (M39)
Immune: Hold, Sleep; TS –
XP 5; HP 22
The 'Spcl' entry means that on certain attack rolls, the monster has something non-standard happen after the attack resolves. Bear has three attacks and a total 30% chance of spcl, so bear fights are likely to include nonstandard stuff.
Round 1: Bear rolls claw [d20:2] and misses. Spcl: The beast roars and knocks your weapon aside. At the last minute you swat its nose. The beast howls in surprise and flees in panic.
• If this is not encounter W2, record XP award and leave.
• Otherwise... √
Before you can act, a second bear lumbers forth and sniffs sadly at the slain one. Too late you recognize mother and cub. Lose 1 Honor for this thoughtless deed.
Obviously I'm not going to acknowledge that last segment because we didn't kill anything or even try to. We can re-encounter #2, in which case the options are the same as before, or we can head somewhere else on the map.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

If the bear wasn't from the cave, I vote to sneak in.

Otherwise, I vote to go to section 3.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Bear 1 was in the bushes. The origin of bear 2 is unclear.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Bear 1 was in the bushes. The origin of bear 2 is unclear.
When a mommy bear and a daddy bear are very drunk...
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Iduno wrote:When a mommy bear and a daddy bear are very drunk...
Ha!

Anyway, half vote for sneaking into the cave.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Roll 1d20 [d20:14]
• If you rolled 15 or less... √
• Otherwise, you stumble...
Your keen eyes adjust to the dark and you make out a squat figure that turns and moans.
• Attack?
• Hold your ground?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

If we get penalised for self-defence killing a bear, I vote to hold.