Avengers Endgame (Contains ALL THE SPOILERS)

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

FrankTrollman wrote:"Nah, just kidding, none of this makes any fucking sense, we're just going to have Captain America swing Mjolnir because it's awesome."

-Username17
The showrunners also shit on that bit with their behind the scenes take claiming that Cap was just sandbagging to protect Thor's feelings when he couldn't quite lift Mjolnor in Age of Ultron. Never mind that in Age of Ultron, Cap's greatest fear was that he wouldn't have a fight anymore and by Endgame he's grown out of that and become a more worthy person.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I honestly half-believe that the Russos have no respect for what has been established in movies they didn't make.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak wrote:I honestly half-believe that the Russos have no respect for what has been established in movies they didn't make.
Endgame is made with no respect for things established in movies by the Russo brothers and also even no respect for events established in itself. Consider the Soulstone. It is introduced in Infinity War in which it is found by Thanos, used in the snap, and then destroyed. That is the entirety of its affect on Timeline A. In Timeline B, Thanos leaves through the time tunnel to the future of Timeline A where he is killed before he claims the Soulstone of Timeline B.

Question: What is the logic of returning the Soulstone to Timeline B? What's the dark timeline for Timeline B that they are avoiding by returning the Soulstone? The Soulstone not only has no positive destiny in Timeline B that you would want to salvage, it has no destiny at all because Timeline B's Thanos is dead.

Speaking of the Soulstone, they spent some time telling the audience that Black Widow was totally sincerely and for reals dead with no way to bring her back because of the Soulstone sacrifice. But also too the only other person killed by that means is Gamora, who they brought back in this exact movie via the time tunnel. So um... yeah.

Endgame is a fucking three hour music video, with every moment filled with whatever the coolest thing the Russo brothers could think of, with no regard whatsoever of whether the latest cool thing shits on a cool thing or major plot factor from ten years or ten minutes ago. The only world building is franchise building - introducing characters who are penciled in to appear in future movies together and to definitively kill off characters who actors have ended their contracts. But also too, some deaths get undone even when they were declared irrevocable because the actors involved are wanted for future movies and TV shows.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

FrankTrollman wrote:Question: What is the logic of returning the Soulstone to Timeline B? What's the dark timeline for Timeline B that they are avoiding by returning the Soulstone? The Soulstone not only has no positive destiny in Timeline B that you would want to salvage, it has no destiny at all because Timeline B's Thanos is dead.

-Username17
Why do you think the dark timeline has anything to do with Thanos?
FrankTrollman wrote:Trump retweeted a bot that repeats his own tweets but with the word "shark" added. It's called Trump but with sharks.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -news-host

We are truly in the worst timeline.

-Username17
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Do the Infinity Stones have to be used for any particular purpose to prevent a Bad End for a given timeline? In my 2 viewings of the film, I understood Tilda Swinton's comments about the Stones and the nature of the universe to mean "the Stones are vital to the universe itself maintaining coherence, so taking them literally dooms the universe in the timeline you created." On rewatch, it's not really clear that the movie supports my interpretation.

She did call out the Time Stone as her "chief weapon against the forces of darkness" - clearly referring to Dormammu - but for that entire conversation, Mark Ruffalo is talking about all of the Stones, while Tilda Swinton is talking about just the Time Stone. They're very clearly not talking about the same thing, and neither of them acknowledges that. It makes it impossible to really nail down just why it is that the other Stones need to be returned to their proper timeline.

Thanos' claim to have "destroyed" the Stones is also worth reading into more deeply. He claims to have "reduced them to atoms" even though it's not at all clear that the Stones are even made of atoms. If the Stones are necessary for the universe continuing to exist, it's probably more accurate to describe Thanos as having dispersed the essence of the Stones in such a way as they have to be condensed or coalesced back into coherence in some way before they could be deliberately used once again.

It's turtles all the way down, though. We're talking about the obliquely-referenced metaphysics of a universe that runs on Rule of Cool.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I mean, thanos destroyed the stones in the main timeline, so if lack of stones is going to destroy a universe then returning them is also universe suicide.

I doubt the Hulk or Captain America is reading into theories in such an absurd way.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Thanos reduced the stones to atoms. They still exist, it just that nobody can use them now.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

FrankTrollman wrote: Speaking of the Soulstone, they spent some time telling the audience that Black Widow was totally sincerely and for reals dead with no way to bring her back because of the Soulstone sacrifice. But also too the only other person killed by that means is Gamora, who they brought back in this exact movie via the time tunnel. So um... yeah.
Past Gamora is a different Gamora. A time-copy, not a resurrection. She's about as close to the original as an identical twin sister with the same experiences up to 7 years ago. One would assume that resurrecting the original is impossible because the original's soul remains trapped in soulworld. I mean, we don't have confirmation of that, but it's what anyone who understands how the soul gem works from the comics would interpret it.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Wiseman wrote:Thanos reduced the stones to atoms. They still exist, it just that nobody can use them now.
Maybe they should go back, borrow the powered glove from Thanos right before he destroys the gems, take it forward, use it to restore the main timeline's stones from atoms, and then return it.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

hyzmarca wrote:Past Gamora is a different Gamora. A time-copy, not a resurrection. She's about as close to the original as an identical twin sister with the same experiences up to 7 years ago.
Yes, but what's to stop them from using Pym particles to snag a time-copy of Gamora (or anyone else) from much closer to the moment of death, reducing the memory loss to like a day at most? That's really close to a proper rez because their relationships aren't meaningfully impacted.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Wiseman wrote:Thanos reduced the stones to atoms. They still exist, it just that nobody can use them now.
1) Bullshit.

2) Clearly no one in the fucking movie believed that bullshit or they would have been using the guy with the ability to shrink really small to find the tiny stones instead of to invent TIME TRAVEL to use the stones that existed in the past.

Again, you can't come up with a cockamay bullshit theory and say that solves the problem unless you can prove that the Hulk BELIEVES that cockamamy theory or else he still thinks he is committing universe suicide.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Prak wrote:I honestly half-believe that the Russos have no respect for what has been established in movies they didn't make.
Endgame is made with no respect for things established in movies by the Russo brothers and also even no respect for events established in itself. Consider the Soulstone. It is introduced in Infinity War in which it is found by Thanos, used in the snap, and then destroyed. That is the entirety of its affect on Timeline A. In Timeline B, Thanos leaves through the time tunnel to the future of Timeline A where he is killed before he claims the Soulstone of Timeline B.

Question: What is the logic of returning the Soulstone to Timeline B? What's the dark timeline for Timeline B that they are avoiding by returning the Soulstone? The Soulstone not only has no positive destiny in Timeline B that you would want to salvage, it has no destiny at all because Timeline B's Thanos is dead.

Speaking of the Soulstone, they spent some time telling the audience that Black Widow was totally sincerely and for reals dead with no way to bring her back because of the Soulstone sacrifice. But also too the only other person killed by that means is Gamora, who they brought back in this exact movie via the time tunnel. So um... yeah.

Endgame is a fucking three hour music video, with every moment filled with whatever the coolest thing the Russo brothers could think of, with no regard whatsoever of whether the latest cool thing shits on a cool thing or major plot factor from ten years or ten minutes ago. The only world building is franchise building - introducing characters who are penciled in to appear in future movies together and to definitively kill off characters who actors have ended their contracts. But also too, some deaths get undone even when they were declared irrevocable because the actors involved are wanted for future movies and TV shows.

-Username17
Good point. They couldn't even give me more than a half-hearted bare minimum attempt at the one thing I really wanted in the movie- Tony and Rocket verbally jabbing each other as they work on a space ship. Like... one tiny jab each, and they were working on a time machine, the most bullshit of sci fi bullshit. That's all they did.

To say nothing of how they dealt with Thor's depression.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.