Zombie DOOM mod

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Might want to change the recoloured pink demons. Not sure how to change them, just they look very much like the originals.

Like the idea of monsters that break out of things when you get close, always good for jump scares the first time, and atmosphere the second. Can you shoot them before they come out?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Thaluikhain wrote:Might want to change the recoloured pink demons. Not sure how to change them, just they look very much like the originals.
I was originally going to draw 60-some-odd sprites by hand, then I thought "fuck that!", and figured I'd just start with the originals and mod the faces a bit. Then, as I got into it, I figured I liked them better as-is, other than recoloring them.

I'm looking at 6-12 hours work to get that many sprites looking good, and I'm pretty happy with what I have, considering the 80-20 rule.

In addition to the new content I still need to create, I have a lot of other things that need cleaning up much more.

Thaluikhain wrote: Like the idea of monsters that break out of things when you get close, always good for jump scares the first time, and atmosphere the second. Can you shoot them before they come out?
Yeah, but that will just free them. By the second frame of the glass shattering, the new monsters is spawned in the same location, so you can start shooting it then, but you can't kill it without first freeing it. That being said, you can shoot it at a distance and deal with it on your terms rather than its terms.

A similar thing I built in a while ago was zombies that would dig out of the ground when you got near by, and corpses that would stand up to fight you. I pulled those off fairly well.

I'm planning on having one room that's pretty crowded with these tubes. If you don't draw the monsters out and fight them in a different room, stray bullets are likely to shatter some glass.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Fri May 31, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

So, the 6th level is supposed to be a short level where you're on a train. You get on the train at the end of the 5th level, and you'll start where the thing stops on the 7th. Right now, it's empty. I haven't put in the monsters, but I wanted to get the aesthetics all set up, first.

The first three cars are largely identical (apart from the stains on the floor). The fights are meant to be cramped.

The space between the cars. You can't fall off, but I wanted to add details like this.

You end the level by pushing the big red button (stopping the runaway train).

The trick in all this is that DOOM sectors only move vertically, so I can't actually make the train move. You can have animated floor and wall textures, though, so I was able to create the illusion of movement by making it look like the area around you is moving. The train is kept closed, so you can't get outside of it, since it would be absurd to be standing still on moving ground.

Spoilered for motion sickness:
Last edited by RobbyPants on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, that's pretty cool, though the level would be one long straight line?

Also, might want to spoiler those images, they are a bit wide.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Thaluikhain wrote:Huh, that's pretty cool, though the level would be one long straight line?
It is short and simple. So far I have two levels like that to transition between different parts of the game. Level 2 ends with getting on a boat in the city. So, level 3 is a short, sinking boat. It ends when you get above deck. Level 4 is where the boat crashes near some woods.

You leave level 5 by getting on the train. 6 is a short 4-car burst of zombies with little room to maneuver. It ends when you get to the front to hit the brakes. Level 6 will start in a tunnel, and you'll go to another city.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

So, I hosted the work so far on modDB. The last time I checked, it said the file wasn't on any mirrors, so I don't know if it will be available soon, or not.

This version includes all the behavior programming, most of the weapon graphics (they all function 100%, but some sprites need to be finished and some polished), and six levels completed.

It's meant to be run on GZDoom (you can download here). I stopped supporting Zandronum, as they're getting further behind on updating ZDoom functions. I'm sick of using deprecated code. There's a README file in the zip that explains the mod a bit and lets you know about binding keys for three new actions.

If you have any questions, post them here or PM me.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Sounds like it took someone else about 3 years to make a WAD pack like this with the original monsters. And he had prior experience designing Doom levels.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Thanks. I’ll have to take a look.

I started this and put in a lot of work off and on over s year. I’d occasionally dust it off, but I got into it in earnest in May. I did sprite work on several monsters, textures, and started level editing.

It’s a labor of love, for sure.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ok, downloaded this (had some problems before), think I like this better than your other mod. Quite a different take on the game.

The story, again, not great (also, you spelt "runaway" as "runnaway"), but Doom has a non-existent story. Like the idea of civilians running around, and the new weapons are nice.

The armoured zombies are annoying rather than dangerous, I find, take lots of killing without being a threat.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Thaluikhain wrote:Ok, downloaded this (had some problems before), think I like this better than your other mod. Quite a different take on the game.
Thanks. It's actually my first mod. I still have a lot of work to get it finished. Life sort of got in the way.

It's meant to be a lot more about forced resource management and a lot less run-and-gun.

Thaluikhain wrote:The story, again, not great (also, you spelt "runaway" as "runnaway"), but Doom has a non-existent story. Like the idea of civilians running around, and the new weapons are nice.
I debated how much I just wanted to throw you in entirely different levels with no "reason".

Thaluikhain wrote:The armoured zombies are annoying rather than dangerous, I find, take lots of killing without being a threat.
I could see that.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

It sorta works to not know what's going on at first for a zombie outbreak, and I did like the evil supersolider mutant place not being involved, but also being infected.

I don't think I ever ran out of ammo at any point, was that supposed to happen?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Thaluikhain wrote: I don't think I ever ran out of ammo at any point, was that supposed to happen?
I pretty much only ever play on Ultra Violence, so I have to be more careful. That being said, the city level is brutally tough in spots for me at that level.

Talking about this mod makes me want to start working on it again. It's been a bit over a year. The biggest thing keeping me from it is that this one still requires a lot of sprite work to polish it, and that's super time consuming.