Planescape: Kriegstanz

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Guts
Master

Planescape: Kriegstanz

Post by Guts »

Assume a game where you play characters AND the factions they belong to, Legacy: Life among the Ruins/Ars Magica troupe style - in a scene you zoom out to a faction meeting (say, you as the Sign of One seeking help from the Godsmen for a move against the Athar), and the other scene you zoom in as the team carrying out the mission.

Question: what would be good, worthy points of contention for promoting competition between those factions? I thought of two things: first, Sigil institutions like the Hall of Speakers, the City Guard or the City Courts. Whoever controls these would have bonuses or advantages of some kind. Besides that, I thought some planar features could also be good points of contention: important border cities or other planar hubs, specific regions or spots of power in the planes like... well I can't think of anything right now but you get the idea.

That would be the framework for a game spanning years/decades/ages, with one or two sessions between "time jumps" that would see the status quo changing around based on players maneuvers (perhaps with a proper "Downtime phase" eith specific moves to represent this).

I would prefer to keep the setting more or less intact at start (at least according to the old Planescape core box) and THEN let things go wild after that.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

P.S: I'm gearing up to make a Powered by the Apocalypse hack of it, and will be using the generational framework seen in Legacy: Life among the Ruins (see here). But I'm open for whatever idea sounds cool.
Last edited by Guts on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.