Hajime Tabata Leaves Squeenix: WHY??

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Dogbert
Duke

Hajime Tabata Leaves Squeenix: WHY??

Post by Dogbert »

Squeenix finally gets over the dork age of JRPGs with FF XV (age THEY inaugurated themselves with X), only to let Tabata go now.

Seriously. Is there any reason for this? Did I speak too soon when I said the dork age was finally over?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I didn't like FF15.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Tabata's worked on a lot of great standalone games like Crisis Core and Type0, he MIGHT be kinda burned out continuously working on XV.

The 'insider info'/gossip I know of based on my last visit to Tokyo game industry buddies...

FFXV didn't make it's money back, but a mainline FF title being a failure would cause more damage to the FF name.

The "Japanese way" of making those hit 90's games suits low budget much better as they usually change things along the way with input from everyone, this gets extremely expensive with AAA graphics. Tabata may be leaving to do more Crisis Core Type-0 scale stuff which I'd say... are better games than XV overall for how complete and solid they are.

I did enjoy XV but I didn't feel compelled to finish it either. I've had more fun with Phantasy Star O's, Monster Hunter, Crisis Core, and so on.

FFVII Remake and FFXVI are going to be the big things after XV and hopefully Square Enix can pull them off without the drastic restructuring that's been plagued them with XV and XIV and Fabula Nova XIII
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Starting his own company!

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/03/ha ... m=facebook

Hope he makes a Type 0 Crisis Core feeling game. PSP style graphics on the Switch or PSN would be nice
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

FFXV's mobile empire building game has made nearly half a billion $$'s

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/04/fi ... mber-2018/

So FFXV has made its money back
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

I'm happy to hear that!

He may not be with Squeenix anymore, but at least now he's free of dictator Nomura. Now he's no longer the perpetual underling/fall guy (digging further, seemingly he was constantly assigned to incomplete projects to direct them, except they wouldn't actually let him direct, he was rather Nomura's minion, so the finished game was "Nomura's game" if it was well-liked, and "Tabata's game" if not.

Seemingly, everyone at Squeenix knew FF-XV was going to be Tabata's swan song, since this time for once they let him do his thing, and the first thing he told the chairboard was "This game is NOT going to make you rich, or even recover costs" (so, yeah, he didn't let anyone down).
Last edited by Dogbert on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.