Main Difficulties in Joining Local Games (Players)?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

#1 problem when finding games to join?

Finding groups with compatible schedules (time/day of week) or play frequency (monthly, biweekly, etc.)
47%
The host's venue is awful
No votes
No one hosts the game system I want to play (D&D 5/4/3, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, etc.)
25%
No one hosts games that focus on what I like (combat vs. roleplay vs. problem solving, GM-driven vs. player-driven story, etc.)
6%
Finding groups/GMs in my age range
3%
Finding groups/GMs with compatible personalities
16%
Finding groups/GMs with a compatible level of system mastery/character optimization
3%
Other (comment with more info)
No votes

Total votes: 32

brized
Journeyman

Main Difficulties in Joining Local Games (Players)?

Post by brized »

When looking for a game as a player, what are your most common or most frustrating issues? These can be barriers to joining a game, or what derails a running game.

Feel free to comment with more info or standout stories, esp if some factors prevent you from joining a game you'd otherwise join, while others derail the game.
Tumbling Down wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:I'm really tempted to stat up a 'Shadzar' for my game, now.
An admirable sentiment but someone beat you to it.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

It would be a tie between getting the system I want and the schedule I want -- both of those would be dealbreakers.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I got kicked out of a game because the GM took an authoritative tone with me during pre-campaign planning so I called him a dick. Which caused one of the players to send me messages for the next 5 hours telling me how childish I was. I ended up telling him I had to go make some soup and turned off my phone.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I got kicked out of a game because the GM took an authoritative tone with me during pre-campaign planning so I called him a dick. Which caused one of the players to send me messages for the next 5 hours telling me how childish I was. I ended up telling him I had to go make some soup and turned off my phone.
Did...you really make soup?
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I did not. I make awesome soup but not that day.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

My main problem is that most people want to do voice/video, which I loathe on principle.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I need a poll that allows multiple options. I work Wednesday-Sunday, so my days off are Monday and Tuesday. This is an awful time to have a weekend. Additionally, everyone in my new area seems super hype for D&D 5E and SR5E and both are garbage fires.
SeekritLurker
Apprentice

Post by SeekritLurker »

True story - I ended up ordering my last DnD group at the local welding shop.
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

Finding a group hasn't been a problem for me; I have two ongoing campaigns with two different groups, and we've been playing for about five years for the first group and a year and a half for the other.

The problem is that apparently I'm the only person in either group who can use a goddamn calendar or think more than a week into the future. Once we finally find a day and time that works for the entire group to hold a session, and then we finish up that session and start talking about when everyone is free for the next one, everyone has completely booked their weekends for the next few weeks because they somehow forgot that (A) after you have one gaming session, you expect to, y'know, have another session sometime soon and (B) originally everyone said they wanted to play every two weeks and not once have we managed to have a session within two weeks of the previous one.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

I chose the first option but honestly...finding groups period.

I have never gamed with strangers before though, rustling up players at D&D launch events and FNMs and whatever. I will have to learn to do so now. For all my gaming years my players were close friends and generally speaking my status as default GM in perpetuity was not just assumed but lauded. But I ruined that by failing at life so hard that I lost all of my friends (preemptively: no I do not want to talk about it) and therefore all of my ongoing campaigns blew up and will never be finished, at least not by the original players.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Personally, it's finding someone else to GM that I actually trust to deliver a goddamn game rather than a clusterfuck :).

As a player, I find it really hard not to optimize a character to do what the concept wants to do - deliberate inefficiency is like dragging a blackboard down another, larger, blackboard. So I have to pitch characters who don't want to excel at anything, otherwise I just go ahead and do that - and that fucks the power balance up big time, so I sandbag, so in and out of character I feel held back and unable to deeply engage.

Then, inevitably, the GM fucks up planning, and throws a TPK at us - so I stop sandbagging, and that's as disruptive to the game as the TPK would have been.

But still - finding someone who can set a scene, a mood, a tone, and weave a good narrative through it all. That, IMO, is the biggest challenge. And the reason why I GM like 80% of the games I'm in.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I settled for 50 since the playtesting started for "D&D NEXT" years ago. It's all anyone plays.

Playing in a regular group of 9 with my brother, his girlfriend, a single guy, another couple, and a married couple with the husband's brother.

It's fine. We have fun.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

1000% system for me
bears fall, everyone dies