D&D 5e E-sports

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ignimortis
Journeyman

D&D 5e E-sports

Post by Ignimortis »

https://dndsports.tv

It's literally D&D 5e, styled as a MOBA. Except without deep underlying systems, vast differences between characters and their abilities, and instead being dependent on luck and DM bullshit more than skill.

Why? Seriously, why? Is 5e flopping that damn hard? Is Hasbro just trying to monetize everything and get at least some profit out of D&D by trying things that might work but probably won't?
Last edited by Ignimortis on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

My wife watches Hasbro as a company pretty hard due to her MLP business, and Hasbro as a whole is very risk adverse; MLP, Transformers, etc. They will do the minimum effort 'safe' option continuously, and slowly license other companies to try out something new with their brand (taking all of the risk). If that risk pays off for them, Hasbro will then reach out and try it themselves (usually in a more cautious format).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Mord
Knight-Baron

Re: D&D 5e E-sports

Post by Mord »

Ignimortis wrote:https://dndsports.tv

It's literally D&D 5e, styled as a MOBA. Except without deep underlying systems, vast differences between characters and their abilities, and instead being dependent on luck and DM bullshit more than skill.

Why? Seriously, why? Is 5e flopping that damn hard? Is Hasbro just trying to monetize everything and get at least some profit out of D&D by trying things that might work but probably won't?
CNBC: "Dungeons & Dragons is having its best year ever, Hasbro CEO says"
[Hasbro CEO Brian] Goldner also announced that Hasbro, which reported second-quarter earnings Monday, would create a “suite of digital games” around both games [Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons] to satisfy the modern player.

More than a million people signed up to test the beta version of the online spin-off of “Magic,” titled “Arena,” the CEO said. Millions of users watch others play the two games live on streaming platforms like Twitch, he told [idiot bobblehead Jim] Cramer in 2017.

He added that Hasbro’s goal over time will be to build fantasy games like “Magic” into esports properties “ripe for global esports competition” as consumers increasingly choose digital gaming over standard tabletop games.

A spokesperson for Hasbro later clarified that while the strategy for building digital gaming capabilities for “Dungeons & Dragons” remains intact, the game has not yet been classified by the company as an esport because of its limited competitive scope.
They're trying to force esports to happen for D&D because esports is happening for MTG. The difference is, esports for MTG is already a thing and has been for years, because it's a competitive game with actual rules that has been around for decades.

I'm actually very excited for this D&D esport event because I expect it to be a hilarious debacle. Anyone who signed up for this expecting to win money is going to be so butthurt.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Ignimortis wrote:https://dndsports.tv

In principle an good idea (Hell I'll watch it, if I don't Forget/miss it).
Looking at WotC (and Hasbros?) track record on anything digital, it's a dissater waiting to happen.

Best case szenario an third party is doing all the work and no influencce on the project from WotC/Hasbro beyond the "OK, do it".

Edit:
Hell if it would be good, there might be something/anything done to the P&P.
Last edited by Korwin on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Ignimortis wrote: It's literally D&D 5e, styled as a MOBA.

Defenders of the Aboleth
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Sweet Madokami... it was supposed to be a poorly misinterpreted headline by a blogger hack, except they did make it happen... is the dnd division that desperate? (rhetorical question).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

They're ready to fail and give Pathfinder 2.oh indignant new fans
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

OgreBattle wrote:They're ready to fail and give Pathfinder 2.oh indignant new fans
And that's a train wreck of it's own waiting to happen.

Although the "Dungeon Crawling as a sport" was a setting a DM of mine pitched once but never got played by the group. Could be potential in there.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

"We noticed some confusion online, and so wanted to take this opportunity to clarify that this is an EncounterRoleplay production. While D&DBeyond are sponsoring this tournament, Wizards of the Coast are not affiliated with RPGSports."

No risk from WotC or Hasbro.

I kind of want to watch just to see how shit it is.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Ignimortis
Journeyman

Post by Ignimortis »

So it's basically a third-party product? I'm simultaneously relieved and disappointed.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Ignimortis wrote: It's literally D&D 5e, styled as a MOBA. Except without deep underlying systems, vast differences between characters and their abilities, and instead being dependent on luck and DM bullshit more than skill.
So it's exactly D&D 5e?
Ignimortis
Journeyman

Post by Ignimortis »

Iduno wrote:
Ignimortis wrote: It's literally D&D 5e, styled as a MOBA. Except without deep underlying systems, vast differences between characters and their abilities, and instead being dependent on luck and DM bullshit more than skill.
So it's exactly D&D 5e?
Hah! Nice one. The joke was that MOBAs usually involve more skill and deep systems than 5e, but yours works too.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Ignimortis wrote:
Iduno wrote:
So it's exactly D&D 5e?
Hah! Nice one. The joke was that MOBAs usually involve more skill and deep systems than 5e, but yours works too.
Ah, good. I was 90% sure you were joking, and 70% sure my joke would land.
WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

The rules and pregens are out.
https://rpgsports.tv/news/rpgsports-rules-pregens/

They suck. Like, more than usual 5e suck. Like 'someone who doesn't know how to make characters for PVP made these' suck. The druid outright seems to have two banned spells on their spell list. So many people have useless charisma skills or overfocus charisma (Like that first paladin, 19 charisma, garbage everything else).

Also it's level 4. In 5e. You might as well be running a tournament of 1st level NPC classes in 3.5.
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.
seelamanlu
NPC

Post by seelamanlu »

the most played Game Den is Good
erik
King

Post by erik »

seelamanlu wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:09 am
the most played [url=https://www facebook com/thegamersden2/]Game Den[/url] is Good
Last edited by erik on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Hah, I clicked the link in the OP without realizing how old this thread is. Good to see that site ate shit and died.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I've been enjoying D&D5e as a dungeon crawler, the classes feel different enough at lvl4+ with our "start with an extra feat" rule. Also play with people that houserule stuff the way I agree with... but the extra feat really does a lot for getting concepts online before you have more HP than a wyvern
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Whoever thought of ASI should be neutered. I fucking hate it so bad. Watch them bring it back for 6e or what the fuck ever.
"Hey, do you want to pick up something relevant to your character concept and identity, or do you want to meet the necessary number thresholds to function like you don't belong on the short bus?"