WORLD OF DARKNESS DOCUMENTARY JUST DROPPED ON AMAZON PRIME!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

PrometheanVigil
1st Level

WORLD OF DARKNESS DOCUMENTARY JUST DROPPED ON AMAZON PRIME!

Post by PrometheanVigil »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... _i=desktop

Been waiting for them to finally release it. Let's see if it's any good...
S.I.T.R.E.P from Black Lion Games -- streamlined roleplaying without all the fluff!
Buy @ DriveThruRPG for only £7.99!
(That's less than a London takeaway -- now isn't that just a cracking deal?)
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Thanks. Have passed on to friends who may be interested.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

The only way this hits me as potentially interesting is if it's a thinly veiled excuse to follow around a couple wierdos king of Kong style.
bears fall, everyone dies
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

Just now? I thought there was a World Of Darkness documentary back in 2014.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

What We Do in the Shadows was frickin amazing, and everyone who cares even a little bit about Vampire should definitely see it. If nunuWW was going to do something like that, I'd be down. The clips they showed in advance were just a bunch of ahistorical masturbation about how novel and groundbreaking Vampire was.

But the reality is that Nightlife came out a full year before Vampire: the Masquerade did, and already had you playing the horrow movie monsters with a Humanity Score, and a list of Traditions for the Kin to follow (and yes, they were called Kin in Nightlife before V:tM came out). Hell, Nightlife even used exclusively d10s and had a dumpster fire of a set of game mechanics. World of Darkness won because they had better production values, better expansion support, and a more accessible tone. But they didn't really innovate any of this shit.

So having a bunch of dudes in their mid fifties wax on about ground breaking they were in their late twenties sounds terrible. The trailer starts with the claim that throughout the seventies and eighties, roleplaying games were all fantasy. That's literally the first sentence, and it's bullshit. Traveler came out in the 70s and is hard scifi. They have Rein-Hagen there saying "Boom! You: are the vampire." Well that's fucking great, but Vampire: the Masquerade was still not the first to market on that concept, it just had better art than the first one.

Like, if they were going to say "Boom! I hired Tim Bradstreet because the line art in Nightlife was fucking embarrassing." I'd maybe be interested. But this just looks horrible.

-Username17
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

FrankTrollman wrote:What We Do in the Shadows was frickin amazing, and everyone who cares even a little bit about Vampire should definitely see it. If nunuWW was going to do something like that, I'd be down.
That's more the comedy version though, isn't it? You could fit that in one page with a Lasers & Feelings hack. Heck, Google says someone already made one. And they even bothered to make it use a d10 instead of a d6!

If I had to pick a template for new WoD I'd pick Being Human. (Which, if you haven't seen, I'd recommend at least the first couple seasons, and the US version is better.)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

jt wrote:If I had to pick a template for new WoD I'd pick Being Human. (Which, if you haven't seen, I'd recommend at least the first couple seasons, and the US version is better.)
Being Human certainly started strong. It lost me when they made the ghost girl and werewolf stop being sympathetic characters. Like, I'm down to watch them struggling with their supernatural state, but I'm not really down to watch them running around murdering fools. So like, I guess I would give that show a season and a half? I actually gave it two seasons, and felt pretty burned by the end of season 2. No idea if it picks up again in season 3 or 4.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

There's gonna be a What We Do in the Shadows TV show!
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/what-we- ... eries-news
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I'll have to watch What We Do in the Shadows. It's been on my list for a while but I never got around to it.