Why not weird systems?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Cervantes
Journeyman

Why not weird systems?

Post by Cervantes »

Super vague topic here but:

A majority of dialogue here focuses on systems with DMs restricted by rules that serve as a social contract. What alternatives are there to this (e.g. DM-less) and how do they succeed or fail?
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Why not weird systems?

Post by Username17 »

Cervantes wrote:Super vague topic here but:

A majority of dialogue here focuses on systems with DMs restricted by rules that serve as a social contract. What alternatives are there to this (e.g. DM-less) and how do they succeed or fail?
Well the simplest I'm aware of is Munchausen. I tell a story until you decide you want to jump in, then you say "That's not how I remember it..." and then you propose an alternate story, and if people agree your bit is better you keep talking until someone else wants to jump in. If you can't agree whose story bit is better, you play rock paper scissors. There's a thing with bidding tokens in order to make challenges, but if you have people mature enough to not just challenge over and over until they beat rock with paper you don't even need it.

Then you got games like Eldritch Horror, where the villains are purely scripted and there are cards, die rolls, and charts that determine what the bad guys do. The players are all on equal narrative footing because none of them are the MC.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Cooperative board games like Pandemic, or Arkham Horror, might also fit the bill of referee-free narrative building games.

There's a ticking countdown whose speed isn't quite predictable; which keeps tension building fairly consistent throughout the game. Additionally, the game's challenge becomes harder to more difficult overcome as turns pass.

However, players who have sense, and are cooperative, are more likely to succeed than fail. I suspect that if players act efficiently in either game, they're unlikely to lose; but if they start thinking they're in competition with each other, they're sure to lose.

I'd be tempted to mention Betrayal at House on the Hill, but it's a clusterfuck in terms of balance among the 50 haunts between Survivors &or the Traitor (almost all haunts have a traitor, but I'm certain that a couple have none, and it's just the players vs the game).
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Guts
Master

Post by Guts »

The Quiet Year fits the bill. It's a map-making game where players reconstruct a post-apocalyptic society through improvisation and negotiation using poker chips, until the end of the quiet year comes with some unavoidable disaster and the game ends.

There is also The Deep Forest, a variant where players try to rebuild a "dungeon" and it's monster society that was ravaged by humanity pillaging adventurers.

Never played them but I want to try someday.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Guts wrote:The Quiet Year fits the bill. It's a map-making game where players reconstruct a post-apocalyptic society through improvisation and negotiation using poker chips, until the end of the quiet year comes with some unavoidable disaster and the game ends.

There is also The Deep Forest, a variant where players try to rebuild a "dungeon" and it's monster society that was ravaged by humanity pillaging adventurers.

Never played them but I want to try someday.
Go away, silva.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.