Fightan games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Surgo
Duke

Fightan games

Post by Surgo »

Anyone play them? Anyone want to have some matches?

I recently picked up SoulCalibur 6 now that Amy came out (she was my main in SC4 and now she's...rather different). I have it for the PC and the PS4 doesn't cross-play so let me know if anyone wants to play.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I play Guilty Gear, Dragon Ball Figtherz, Marvel vs Capcom 3, King of Fighters 14, Skullgirls, and when it comes out. Samurai Showdown.

I might pick up Power rangers battle for the Grid and Blade Strangers.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I want to get into a 2d fighter again but I have a confession -- I really don't like meters in fighting games. That rules out pretty much every modern 2d fighter.

SC6 is very close to beyond what my tolerance is (you get a single super move and a glorified burst). ST is pretty much the ideal if you're going to have a meter at all (super move only). I liked the older Soul Calibur games that didn't have meters at all.

I really can't get into games that have EX moves, burn meter to kill ending lag, etc. -- which means basically every 2d fighter that came after ST. I wish ST HD Remix would get re-released on modern consoles and PC.
Last edited by Surgo on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I tried really hard to like fighting games and get into them - I love the character designs and backstories and stuff. The problem is you couldn't pay me to sit and count frames and analyze what the hit-boxes are for things, which means I will never be good at fighting games and anything else is just lying to myself about it. Also I don't have that thing where some people get more determined with every defeat, and just get frustrated instead.

So sometimes I watch videos of fighting games, in which case it's Animu Fighters all the way because if I'm going to be a passive consumer in the process, then the more crazy bullshit the better.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'm shit at all video games. Fighting games in particular. I literally never get better no matter how much research I do or how much I practice.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Just do what I do: Mash the controller like a deranged howler monkey and hope you manage to pull off a combo, and sing "Sweet Caroline" in a high pitched voice so you can distract your opponent and neighbors from three streets away.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Oh, I have a strong psych game. My soul Calibur main is Voldo because I found most people can't read him and don't like looking at him.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I am good at footsies and bad at inputs. Feels bad, man.
bears fall, everyone dies
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It's incredible how Amy went from a pretty simple character in SC4 to pretty damn complex in SC6. Not sure I dislike the transition though. Her combo game needs a fucking flowchart, but overall she's a fairly enjoyable character.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Surgo wrote:I want to get into a 2d fighter again but I have a confession -- I really don't like meters in fighting games. That rules out pretty much every modern 2d fighter.
Well if you're willing to do old school fighters, One Must Fall 2097. It's an old DOS era fighter that I'm 90% sure is abandonware by now.

Last SC game I played was I'm pretty sure 4 but throughout the SC series my main was Astaroth. I was quite fond of the Tekken Series despite my group of friends would RUIN me at the game.
"Shrapnel" wrote:Just do what I do: Mash the controller like a deranged howler monkey and hope you manage to pull off a combo, and sing "Sweet Caroline" in a high pitched voice so you can distract your opponent and neighbors from three streets away.
Maxi main? *puke*
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Leress wrote:I play Guilty Gear, Dragon Ball Figtherz, Marvel vs Capcom 3, King of Fighters 14, Skullgirls, and when it comes out. Samurai Showdown.
Yep I play some of those

I like how high damage and timing based Samurai Shodown is

DBFZ is fun but overall I like Guilty Gear more.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I will say I really got into both Skullgirls (mostly playing as Valentine the Sexy Ninja Nurse) and the story mode for BlazBlue unlocking all the bonus scenes like "Help Me Professor Kokonoe" and "Teach Me, Boobie-Lady". For that, I mostly played as the main character, Taokaka, with a side order of Lacking Lady. But it was fun to experiment with the Black Squiggly and with Boobie Lady and Good Guy. If you haven't played through her story mode to learn her names for them all then... fuck you I guess.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I am out of practice but I still have DBfighterz, tekken 7, guilty gear something something xrd 2, blazblue, skull girls (whatever the full version is called), and, if it counts, Smash Ultimate. The last of which I'm still practiced on since I play against the kiddos every now and again when they think they are ready to take on the champ.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

I've got DBFZ and, of course, Super Smash Brothers: Melee (which does have good online play now if you're willing to jump through some hoops).

Switching from Smash to a traditional 2D fighter makes me feel really constrained since movement options change based on where your opponent is, and learning what makes my character face in the right fucking direction is not very intuitive. The much more straight-forward rock, paper, scissors gameplay of traditional 2D fighters is fun though, and playing from neutral is super cool. It's just once the combos start I find myself mentally checking out.

All too often I find myself going through the motions, if I land move X I can execute combo Y, then based on health/meter/proximity to the wall I should end with move Z and on wakeup pressure with attack A and assist B. Sure, you mix it up to not get predictable, but I can tell you the 4 most effective options I have as Piccolo if I've knocked you down against the wall and you're still just going to be guessing what I'm doing and have to block the pressure string I throw into your block (unless you reflect something, in which case we're back in neutral). In Smash everything feels a lot more...organic? You don't get guaranteed combos (outside of Fox/Falco shine and a couple throws) because of the Directional Influence mechanic.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

I have obtained Granblue Fantasy Versus, and it is a Very Fun game and shockingly approachable. I main fanservice whip catgirl, aka Ferry, because she has a whip, cat ears, and a short skirt.

I think I might decide to become actually competitive in it, because it's a lot less robotic than my DBFZ gameplay. It's slower, but it feels a lot more like I'm making informed decisions instead of executing mechanical combos. Please obtain this game and fite me.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

That sounds great, my no.1 complaint on DBFZ is the auto combo's

Does Granblue play more like Samurai Shodown where it's landing one big attack?
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

OgreBattle wrote:That sounds great, my no.1 complaint on DBFZ is the auto combo's

Does Granblue play more like Samurai Shodown where it's landing one big attack?
Granblue plays a lot like traditional 2D fighting games, so a Street Fighter or even King of Fighters. It doesn't have air dashing, it doesn't have long, high-damage combos (I think I've seen combos that do around 25%, or if you've got your super and are below 30% I've seen some that do ~40%). The game is largely footsies and poke. It does have auto combos that are incredibly weak, but it makes the game more approachable and they're just 3-hit affairs (you know the king, hit light, medium, or heavy 3 times and if the first one connects and you're at the right range you'll do a basic 3-hit combo).

My only complaint would be the release only has 11 characters and new ones will be DLC, and that's bullshit. But so far all the characters seem fun, though fanservice whip catgirl is my favorite. She can throw a cat at you that will use thundershock.
sandmann wrote:

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Granblue Fantasy Versus is made by Arc System Works, who also made BlazBlue and Guilty Gear if that gives you any idea.

I haven't personally played it though, so I can't tell you how complicated it is or isn't.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Surgo wrote:Granblue Fantasy Versus is made by Arc System Works, who also made BlazBlue and Guilty Gear if that gives you any idea.

I haven't personally played it though, so I can't tell you how complicated it is or isn't.
It is very much unlike those games, aside from the anime style. They intentionally went for the traditional fighter feel, vs the touch of death, ultra-combo style in all their other games.
sandmann wrote:

Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

I got KoF XIII a month ago for a song. Mostly out of nostalgia since I don't care for online versus, but I'm enjoying it, and even if it lacks actual next-gen story mode, the text banter at the beginning of matches is enjoyable.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:
Surgo wrote:Granblue Fantasy Versus is made by Arc System Works, who also made BlazBlue and Guilty Gear if that gives you any idea.

It is very much unlike those games, aside from the anime style. They intentionally went for the traditional fighter feel, vs the touch of death, ultra-combo style in all their other games.
Definitely this. More grounded, short combos that don't kill you on one for slipping up once. I like it.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.