General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Online game design contes "hidden movement/deployment"

Post by OgreBattle »

THought y'all might be interested
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/contests ... -challenge

The criteria involves having your game ready to print, so artwork and stuff finished.

I might enter if I can convince some friends good at formatting to help me.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Roll for wandering monsters, 1-in-6 per turn of activity in the dungeon.
Roll for surprise, 2-in-6 for monsters surprising the party unless otherwise specified.

If the wandering monsters gain surprise, they have performed hidden movement and may ambush the party from close range. It is assumed monsters will always attempt to gain this advantage.

A moving party will likewise surprise placed monsters 2-in-6, unless otherwise specified.

If the party gains surprise, they have deployed in secret and may ambush the monsters from close range. It is assumed the party will always attempt to gain this advantage.

In the case where the party in place, or monsters in place, may be alert for intrusion and obscured by corners or other obstructions, they may also ambush the moving opponent. Likewise a moving party and wandering monsters may surprise each other should sufficient obstructions allow.

In the case of both sides gaining surprise, the meeting is at close range more by accident than success of hidden movement, so neither gains the ambush advantage.

:viking:
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.