The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
[LP] raid on Chateau Fekenstein bis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep on trying.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We try !

When you explain the new plan there are some mutters and dark looks, but troops seem prepared to follow your lead. With you in the front and First Trooper Charl next in line, you make your way into the stream.
It is cold! It is also difficult work pushing against the flow of water and you hate to think what harm the lingering necromantic taint is doing to you. You get to a point where there is no breathing space, the passage is completely water filled. You know that holding your breath and pushing your way through the water will not get you far. You estimate you have covered only a fraction of the distance required. Your only chance of further progress is to use your magic abilities.

If you possess the Shifter skill and wish to use it, turn to 26.
If you possess the Elemental Studies and wish to use it, turn to 48.
If you don’t possess either of these two skills, you have to admit defeat and go back to the original plan, turn to 61.


I presume you wish to use it…

Using some of your basic elemental spells, you form a large pocket of air around the heads of the entire troop. It is a strain to concentrate on so many (even simple) spells at once and you struggle to keep concentration as you push your way upstream against the current. You make a goodly distance, possibly most of the way to the chateau, when you feel a strange tingling passage of dissipating wild magic pass through you and you realise you have passed through the shield around the chateau. Shortly afterwards the tunnel is blocked by iron bars. On the other side of the bars are a number of bits, human bits such as parts of limbs, pressed against the bars due to the flow of water but too large to make it through the gaps. You turn away in disgust, cursing this latest twist of fate and try and think of how to get through.
First Trooper Charl moves towards you till your air bubbles are mixed and suggests using a lockbuster device from his gear. Even underwater a lockbuster is going to generate enough energy to melt the top of the bars so you go with his suggestion. You press it firmly against the top of one bar and move back slightly. There is a flare of light (and heat if you were closer) and you can feel the elemental energy being directed into the iron bar, melting it away almost instantly. Once done, you grab the bar and pull on it. It bends downwards letting a flow of body parts through the now larger gap. Looking beyond the bars, there is a small-sized stone-worked room. The stream flows into the room via a natural tunnel on the far side. A shaft at the roof of the room leads up and is filled with air! This is the way on.
You head towards the shaft, followed by the rest of the troop. As each person reaches it, you release the spell binding area around them with relief. Due to the strain of holding multiple spells, you have lost 1 point from your current Mental Fortitude before you are done.
Turn to 89.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

onward to 89 then

Once your head breaks the surface of the water you take a deep breath, and immediately regret it. The air is putrid, both with stench from necromantic ‘materials’ as well as waste product. This must be the chateau’s means of waste disposal, at least in a siege situation. Trying not to gag, you and the rest of the troop use rope and devices originally brought to scale the outside walls of the chateau, to cover the distance to the top of the shaft. Aware that you are inside an enemy fortification with no easy way out except the way you came, you take great care to be as silent as possible.
First Trooper Charl is at the top of the shaft first. There is a cover across it, no doubt to keep out the stench and he carefully lifts it. Soon, he slides the cover across and motions you and the rest of the troops up. You are in a small room, a closed door on one side and a partially open door on the wall to its left. The walls are clay, covered in wood planking for the most part. There are large supporting beams running up the walls and across the ceiling. You believe from this you are in the basement of the chateau. The small room you are in is largely empty of anything of interest, but not so the larger room you can spy through the open door.
The first thought you have is that you are looking into a torture chamber. The stink of necromantic magic is strong however and you realise this is somebody's twisted idea of an experimental facility. The dead, or parts of the dead, are littered through the room, some of them twitching with animating necromancy. Looking at the remains of the uniforms on the bodies you realise it is your own countrymen... prisoners, who are being experimented on. In the notes section of your character sheet, write that you have seen the experimental chamber.
Given the time of the day, or just plain luck, the room is empty. Your troop quickly makes a reconnaissance of the room and of the corridors through the doors off both the ‘privy’ and the ‘experimental room’. Soon you have a good idea of the layout of the cellars. Two ways up have been located, one leading from a storage room containing large quantities of food. Another is a larger stairwell located at the end of the main corridor. Most importantly, you have located the cells where the prisoners are being held. Unfortunately the prisoners are guarded by about half a dozen enemy troops. You mission is to recover the shielding device but you cannot help but think of the prisoners

If you want to continue with your original mission and head up the narrow stairs, turn to 12
If you want to head up the larger stairwell, turn to 56
If you want to attempt a rescue of the prisoners, turn to 74


As good a time as any for an update

• Endurance: 6
• Mental Fortitude: (7) 6
• Luck: 5
• Education: 9

• BMA: Arcane Theory
• Elemental Studies
• Life Systems
--> Healing

• Has Seen The Worst ( so he thinks, so he thinks… Mr. Green )

. fought against corpses
. has healed Trihsder
. has seen the experimental chamber


. Standard Equipment: Chameleon Cloak, Dagger, Wand
. Portable Hole Maker
. Sphere of Devastation


Last edited by ashimbabbar on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Try to free (and heal, if possible) the prisoners.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2328

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember the last check we failed at the previous playthrough's endgame were failing to free the prisoners and not sabotaging the armoury, so definitely free the prisoners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's rescue prisoners and be heroes !

There are four guards outside the cell containing the prisoners. They are alert looking so your troop slowly inch their way forward, getting closer and closer. Trooper Valis gets within two paces of the enemy when one of them looks around in surprise. There is a flurry of brutal action as your men attempt to take them out before they can raise the alarm. As you watch, one of the enemy troops falls back and raises a whistle towards his mouth.
If you possess Combat Elementalism and wish to use it, turn to 94. Otherwise, turn to 57.


You mind freezes. You cannot think of any spell quick enough to stop the alarm being raised. Almost without thought, you grasp the dagger at your side and throw it in one smooth motion. It turns end over end as it flies.
Roll 2 dice, adding your current Luck and adding a further +2 if you have Close Combat Training. If the total rolled is less than 11, turn to 4.
If the total rolled is 11 or higher, turn to 94


With a Luck of 5, double-six !

The whistle is knocked out of the enemy troops hand by your strike and moments later he slumps to the ground, Charl’s axe sliced clear through his throat. You grab the keys and start releasing the prisoners. There are about sixty prisoners in all, in various states of health. You quickly outline the way you came in and tell them to make their way back to friendly lines while you continue on the mission. You are shocked when they refuse. One of them speaks up and explains for all of them.

“Some of us lads will help the worst of the wounded get out, that is for sure, but the rest of us want to help.” You hear murmurs of assent from the others. “Some of us have been taken away... for experimentation. We want to have our revenge for that.”

You come to an agreement. They will give you time to get further into the chateau before they strike. With luck, their attack should provide diversion enough that your recovery of the shielding device is made easier. Add that you have freed the prisoners in the notes section of your character sheet. You prepare to leave then look over their brave but ragged line. With a bit of healing they would provide a much more effective force.

If you possess the Life Systems skill and wish to spend serious effort to heal some of the prisoners, or if you wish to give them an elixir of healing of any type to do the same, turn to 23.

Otherwise you prepare to move up to the chateau’s ground floor. If you want to head up the narrow stairs, turn to 12.
If you want to head up the larger stairwell, turn to 56.


If you want to heal them, tell me which stairs you will be taking afterwards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heal and then try the narrow stairs.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 998

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heal, and I see no reason not to try the narrow stairs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2328

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heal, because it's also one of the requirement checks we missed last time round.

And narrow stairway because why not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You go down their lines, providing what healing you can. If you are using the Life Systems skill, lose 1 point from your current Mental Fortitude due to the strain. You notice that another couple of elixirs of healing have appeared amongst them courtesy of Trooper Ringo. You can only hope that your own troops won’t miss the expended supplies later on. Add that you have healed the prisoners under the notes section on your character sheet.
Having done what you can, you prepare to move up to the chateau’s ground floor.


Up the narrow stairs then !

The stairs lead to a large, well-appointed pantry, beyond which is a spacious kitchen. Even at this hour the kitchen is busy, with harassed looking army cooks preparing vast quantities of basic meals (and small quantities of better furnished meals, obviously intended for the officers). You don’t want to risk sneaking through such a busy room so decide to create a small diversion. You know so many easy-to- cast cantrips which would be applicable in this situation, but settle on creating a small oil fire at the far end of the room.
Under the cover of the resulting smoke and with the cooks rushing over to put out the fire, you and the rest of your troop move across the kitchen and out. You find yourself in a servants’ hallway. On one side is a mess hall, currently occupied by dozens of off duty enemy troops. You decide instead to head up s servants’ stairwell to the second floor of the chateau.
Turn to 75.


At the end of the stairwell is the chateau’s second story. Once plush palatial-like bedrooms and halls, this level has now obviously been taken over as officer territory. A quick scout by Trooper Valis reveals you are in the right place. In the centre of the level, in what must once have been the ballroom, you can feel the thrumming power of the shielding device. Valis confirms the worst. It is well guarded by a dozen troops outside the room with no idea how many more are inside. Over the constant beat of the shielding device, you catch a faint wiff of another altogether more unpleasant kind of magic.
If you want to investigate this other magic, turn to 93.
If you want to find some way of getting to the shielding device, turn to 15


Maybe it's time for a check-up

• Endurance: 6
• Mental Fortitude: (7) 5
• Luck: 5
• Education: 9

• BMA: Arcane Theory
• Elemental Studies
• Life Systems
--> Healing

• Has Seen The Worst ( so he thinks, so he thinks… Mr. Green )

. fought against corpses
. has healed Trihsder
. has seen the experimental chamber
. freed the prisoners
. healed the prisoners


. Standard Equipment: Chameleon Cloak, Dagger, Wand
. Portable Hole Maker
. Sphere of Devastation


Last edited by ashimbabbar on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 998

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Investigate the other magic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2328

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From the last playthrough (unless ashimbabbar was deliberately omitting certain selective options), I don't think we have the required skills to get the Tome of Power this time, so I vote to skip this one.

Last edited by SGamerz on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, leave the Tome of Power be.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We won't let anything turn us away from our mission !

You head into a room adjoining to the ballroom which contains the shielding device. This room has been used a planning/war-room. In the centre of the room, surrounded by comfortable chairs, is a table which contains maps showing the allied trenches and the chateau and has numerous little metal figures representing troops. There is a smell of stale cigar smoke in the room and several of the chairs still have small tumblers on them, either empty or in cases still half filled with strong spirits.
“Right,” you state, “we need to get through this wall”, pointing to the solidly worked stone wall covered in tapestries. “Charl, get out one of your portable hole making devices,” you command.
Charl hang-facedly admits that this is one of the few devices he didn’t bring, not having enough arcane ability to activate one himself.
If you possess a portable hole and wish to use it, turn to 46.
Otherwise, a frontal assault on the troops guarding the ballroom doors is your only option, turn to 68


We have one, it's one-use; do we want to use it ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm guessing the wider stairs led to the armory.

Anyhow, use the portable hole like last time.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2328

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Continue our policy of penetrating wherever we choose!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 998

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thirding use of portable hole making device...which shouldn't be called a portable hole.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thaluikhain wrote:
Thirding use of portable hole making device...which shouldn't be called a portable hole.


Iguess that's the name soldiers give it ?

“Luckily that I did bring one,” you state, with a laugh in your voice, bringing out your portable hole device. You apply the device to the wall and activate it with a touch of magic. You try and focus the device still further to increase its speed as the effects of the device are going to be obvious from the other side.
The stone starts to melt away like water. Charl prepares a sphere of devastation to throw through the gap but there is no need. The room (which is indeed the ballroom) is empty apart from the shielding device sitting on a pedestal in the centre of the room. Inconceivable! Do they feel so secure they have no one guarding it on the inside, or is the device dangerous to be near when it is functioning?
You and the rest of the troop squeeze in through the hole you have created in the wall and you move towards the device, your arcane senses open, turn to 87.


You move across the polished marble ballroom floor. The pedestal is of dark ebony and has carved dragons at its tip, looking defiantly outwards. It is hard to make out the shielding device through the energies that radiate out from it but its vague form seems almost to be a small, stylised shield – very archaic in design, not like a modern device at all. You study the device from a step away and quickly determine the simple arcane sequence required to turn it off, which you do.
The shielding device shifts and melds into itself, the energies steadily reducing, until all that is left is a small round shaped piece of metal. You pick it up. It is surprisingly heavy. You know that you have stirred up a hornets nest with your actions and have literally minutes or less to get out of here. You need to decide who is going to carry the device. You could carry it yourself but you know the weight of it would slow you down. You look at the troops and suddenly Trooper Storn pipes up, volunteering to take it. An actual volunteer! Now you have seen everything in this mans army. Storn already carries a heavy load with his staff of fire. Perhaps Trooper Valis would be a better option. With his proven stealth skills, he has the best chance of getting the device back to friendly lines. You decide quickly. Write down under the notes section on your character sheet who is carrying the shielding device out of Storn, Valis or you.

Decision made and the device stowed away, you turn to leave. The air explodes with raw power and you feel reality scream as it is torn open and abruptly closed again. You catch sight of a gaunt man, an enemy arcanist, who has just appeared... teleported, next to the pedestal that housed the device. Such power! Waves of force radiate from him. You and your troops are flung around the room like rag-dolls. You strike the tapestry covered wall and also black out as you feel several ribs crack. Lose 1 point from your current Endurance.

“THIEVES, BEGGARS, CURS! How DARE you invade my home, steal my device,” he screams. “Once I have finished with you, you will wish you had never crossed the path of Aldoff van Payne!”

As he is screaming, with but a motion, his magical force tears your hand weapon(s) from you, then your wand, sending them across the room. He motions towards you and you feel a circle of force enclose you like a clenched fist, drawing you closer towards him. You have never seen such power in an arcanist before. You must defend yourself.

If you possess the Dissipation skill and have the tome of power, turn to 47.
If you possess either the Combat Manipulation or Combat Elementalism skill and wish to use one of them, turn to 31.
Otherwise, turn to 66.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You cannot resist is you are drawn towards Van Payne. You note with horror that he starts to draw upon his necromantic spells – whatever he intends is going to be nasty. Out of the corner of your eye you see Trooper Ringo raise his crossbow and shoot. Van Payne deflects the bolt, then with a snarl, directs the full force of his magic against Ringo, shattering him against the wall. In the moment Van Payne is distracted, you act.

If you possess skill with Shifting magic, turn to 27.
Otherwise roll 2 dice, adding your current Endurance and adding a further +2 if you have Close Combat Training or if you have Combat Precognition active.
If the total rolled is less than 12, turn to 85.
If the total rolled is 13 or higher, turn to 92.

AS in he 1st attempt it will be "12 or less"

Our current Endurance is 5, that's… not so good. 3+3 !

Van Payne smiles a horrible smile of satisfied triumph as he sends his necromantic energy searing into your body. You collapse to the ground.
If you possess the Healing skill, turn to 38. Otherwise, turn to 59.


Yes. We do have it. Yes. We do. Yes.

You draw on your mastery of healing magic to shield your vital being from the dark energies raging throughout it. Your body is a battleground in which you hold the home-ground advantage and finally, at great cost to yourself, you drive the necromantic magic from your system. Lose 1 point from your current Endurance and 1 point from your current Mental Fortitude.

Looking up, you see Van Payne slowly moving away, his back towards you. He is heading towards the door where the balance of your troop is desperately trying to stop a tide of enemy soldier from getting through the door into the room. You get to your feet unsteadily and lurch towards Van Payne. He is so engrossed in his latest spell-casting that he does not know you are behind him, even as you draw the dagger from his belt, until you apply the same dagger to his throat and cut.

As Van Payne falls to the floor, you secure his wand for your own use and move to help your men at the door. It quickly becomes obvious they cannot hold much longer.

If Trooper Rosenberg is still with you, turn to 73.
If Trooper Rosenberg is not with you, but you possess a sphere of devastation and wish to use it, turn to 99.
Otherwise, turn to 18.


Now is the Rosenberg moment.

Trooper Rosenberg literally leaps into the fray, over the top of Charl and into the midst of the enemy troops. He is a whirlwind, his two swords slashing bloody ruin to his foes. You see him struck once, then twice in return, but the foes around him are hampered by their close quarters and strike their own companions more than they do Rosenberg. Although Rosenberg falls, his sacrifice gives Storn a chance to move back and unleash the flames from within his staff of fire across the enemy. Their screams and the smell of cooking flesh are hideous. The fight is soon over; Rosenberg dead in the midst of a circle of foes. You hear more enemy troops on their way. Your own hope of survival is if you previously organised some sort of distraction.

If you have freed the prisoners and healed the prisoners both noted on your character sheet, turn to 64.
If you have rigged the armoury and removed armoury protection both noted on your character sheet, turn to 41.
If you have one of freed the prisoners or rigged the armoury noted down on your character sheet, turn to 82.
If you have none of these, turn to 18.


You ready yourself for another assault, your surviving men prepared to hold the door when the sound of approaching enemies turn into cries of alarm and the sound of close and furious combat. The prisoners! They have made their move, attacking with such abandon that they have thrown your foes into disaray, at least momentarily.

Although tempted to try and link up with the prisoners and aid them, you know you still have a mission to complete. Instead you move upwards through the chateau, several times avoiding enemy troops who are heading down towards where the fighting rages. You get to the roof of the chateau. It is abandoned, not only due to the fighting below but also because the aetheric bombardment is now reaching the chateau. Stone explodes nearby as one bombardment hits and reality warps and shifts as the result of another strike, a near miss. Getting climbing equipment from your packs, you quickly make your way down the wall at high speed; the risk of being seen is far less than the risk of being bombarded by your own side.

Finally you are down and you move away from the chateau, circling around so you are moving back towards friendly lines.
Turn to 13.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, now you could vote on who exactly is carrying that shielding device, i.e. us, Storn or Valis, while you consider the latest check-up.

• Endurance: (6) 5
• Mental Fortitude: (7) 4
• Luck: 5
• Education: 9

• BMA: Arcane Theory
• Elemental Studies
• Life Systems
--> Healing

• Has Seen The Worst ( so he thinks, so he thinks… Mr. Green )

. fought against corpses
. has healed Trihsder
. has seen the experimental chamber
. freed the prisoners
. healed the prisoners


. Standard Equipment: Chameleon Cloak, Dagger, Wand
. Sphere of Devastation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have Valis take the device.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2328

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Agreed. The infiltration expert should be better at getting out of here with the prize. Meanwhile, Storn should help play rearguard by taking out any pursuers with his massive firepower.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You and the surviving members of the team make your way back towards friendly territory. You keep a low profile, which consists mostly of worming your way through the mud churned fields and you make the best speed possible while still retaining some of the concealing benefits of your cloaks.
There is no pursuit and only minimal bombardment from the Chateau. You grin as the first rays of dawn appear over the horizon; your ‘little distraction’ has done the trick.

You have made it back to the no man’s land between enemy and friendly lines.
If you are carrying the Shielding Device, turn to 25.
If Trooper Storn is carrying the Shielding Device, turn to 78.
If Trooper Valis is carrying the Shielding Device, turn to 50


so…

You hear a terrible CRACK and turn to see Trooper Valis slumping bonelessly to the ground, Storn standing above him. In one hand is a short baton he used to strike Valis down, in the other is his staff of fire which he raises up to cover you and the other troops.

You are stunned by this turn of events. First Trooper Charl spits out, “What do you think you are doing Storn !”

Storn smiles a tight smile and his face shifts subtly, becoming move Alfen in features. You recognise the faint release of magic signifying the end of an ongoing shifting enchantment. “You didn’t really think we would let you keep the device did you?” explains the Alfer masquerading as Storn. “The device is ours; bad enough one tribe of you ‘mud-men’ have thieved our secrets. We WON’T let another get hold of them!” he shouts in sudden fury (under notes on your character sheet, record that you have heard Storn’s Rant).
He activates his staff but while he was speaking you were not idle.


regrettably, we don't have any skill that would help just now…

Otherwise your only option is to try and throw yourself out of the path of the flames.
Roll 2 dice, adding +2 if you have Seen the Worst.
If the total rolled is less than 7, turn to 2.
If the total rolled is 8 or higher, turn to 70.


1+6+2

The blast of flame doesn’t hit you directly but you are unable to avoid it entirely. You feel the flames engulf you and hear a terrible screaming coming from your own flame seared lungs. You sense more than see Storn leave, satisfied he has finished you.

You fight against the rising tide of unconsciousness, looking for a way to desperately save yourself. The only thing that can aid you is any healing skills or supplies you might possess.
Roll 2 dice, adding +1 if you have the skill Life Systems or +3 if you have the skill Healing and +2 if you use an elixir of healing or +3 if you use a superior elixir of healing. You can only use one elixir before pain overcomes you.
If the total rolled is less than 13, turn to 10.
If the total rolled is 13 or higher, turn to 91.


6+4+3 ! Lucky us !

You desperately hold onto consciousness long enough to apply healing to yourself. You feel the worst of the burns mending to the limit of healing possible. As your body relaxes from the reduction in pain, you feel yourself slip away.
Turn to 100.


Last edited by ashimbabbar on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ashimbabbar
Journeyman


Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Consciousness waxes and wanes like the tide. There are times of unendurable pain and times of blessed relief when cool unconsciousness pulls you into its embrace. You have fragments of visions, memories; fire burning into you, a muddy field filled with flowers, your mother’s face after having received news of your father’s death. You drift for an unknown time, and suddenly you are aware.

You are lying in a bed and are weak... so weak. You try and turn your head. You try to speak. You hear a woman’s voice coming closer but spiral into unconsciousness again. Some time later, perhaps that day or perhaps days later you recover consciousness again. You are feeling stronger and take in your surrounding. You are in a hospital ward and you can see rows of beds lining both sides, filled with the injured and dying. You rest and gain your strength as the days past. Your memories of the last fight, the betrayal you suffered at the hands of Storn, return but there is nothing you can do now. You worry about the bandages that cover much of your body and some of your face but the doctors and nurses just offer evasions to your questions.
Despite your feelings of failure over the mission and your worries on your future, it is a relief when you see First Sept Lokan enter and make his way to your narrow bed.

The first thing you ask about is the other men, but Lokan shakes his head. “None of them survived,” he says gently. You are crushed. You feel deeply responsible for the men’s deaths (although if you have healed Trihsder noted on your character sheet, this is somewhat offset by finding out he, at least, made his way back safely). If only you had been faster at the end. If only you had picked up on the signs and recognised Storn for the traitor he was. Lokan interrupts you self recriminations.

“Set your mind at rest”, he exclaims. “The loss of such brave troops is always a blow and yes, you did lose the device, but the main part of your mission was a success.”

His eyes start to gleam in memory. “A patrol came upon the remains of your unit shortly after you fell. We quickly determined that your primary mission was a success and began the assault. It was bloody work but not as bad as we feared; it seems you left the fortress in a state of chaos from your earlier insertion.”

He sighs. “We drew forth memories of ‘Storn’s’ betrayal from your mind. Some will no doubt find fault that you lost the device, but listen to me. Even before the mission someone must have leaked word for that shazen Alfer to have replaced poor Trooper Storn. The initial leak, the replacement of Storn by an Alfen infiltrator, the disposal of Storn’s body; all these point to a failure at many levels well before your so called ‘error’.”

He reads from your face your unspoken concern about your wounds. “Don’t fret about your injuries. I will not lie and say you won’t be scarred to some extent by the fire but you avoided the worst and from what the doctors have said, should recover well. But for now, rest; we need your kind back at the front.”


It’s a sad but true fact that even though you succeeded the mission where almost everyone else would have failed, you are put in front of a review board that determines the success or failure of the mission from your superiors’ perspective. You start off with 0 success points. “Sure, you got the shielding device, but did you have to get your whole troop killed ?” you get asked. Add points for the following:
+2 points; you end the adventure with the tome of power in your possession.
+1 point; you healed Trihsder.
+1 point; you freed the prisoners.
+1 point; you have seen the experimental chamber.
+1 point; you heard Storn’s rant.
+1 point; you have studied shielding effects.


Why, 4 is pretty good ( we had a stroke of luck at the end and we should have been killed in the initial zombie fight though, the "Healer" profile is not the best suited for the fighting sequences )

3 or 4 points; many nits were picked in your going over by the review board but you gave a good account for yourself. You are going places (assuming the war doesn’t kill you).

Won !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Assuming you're doing follow-up questions:

Is it possible to get 7 points?

Is it possible to kill Storn, or at least stop him from killing the rest of our crew?
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group