What members of the Avengers have been raped?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

What members of the Avengers have been raped?

Post by OgreBattle »

Hulk- YMCA incident, neck broken incident
Iron Man- The abusive boyfriend suit is rapey enough
Thor- Got Charm Person'd by an enchantress but the rage of watching Loki cuck him let him break free

Captain America: ??? Can't find anything
Hawkeye: Can't find any instance
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think the worst example is the fucked up shit that happened to Ms. Marvel.

Mockingbird was drug-brainwash-raped by the Phantom Rider.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Spider-Man had a very special episode.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So Captain America remains unbent and unbowed?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Well, they tried to forcibly change his gender at one point, but that didn't take.

One of Captain America's expies was definitely violated:

And Cap himself has been forcibly...penetrated:
Last edited by Ancient History on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Okay, seriously, what is the deal with the Hulk and the YMCA? Are we talking about the same Y that has swimming pools and shit, or something different?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Shrapnel wrote:Okay, seriously, what is the deal with the Hulk and the YMCA? Are we talking about the same Y that has swimming pools and shit, or something different?
The writer Jim Shooter says he based it off of something that happened to him in real life, and that a friend of his had also been sexually assaulted before.

"While at the time, Shooter was very defensive about the story (stating in a later letters column that it was based on a combination of two real-life incidents – one that happened to a friend and one that happened to him, and that the story should only be offensive to rapists, and he was okay with offending rapists), over the years he has mellowed a bit on his view of the story, and I recall a recent interview on the topic where he conceded that perhaps the story was a mistake, but he still does not believe that it was offensive."

Looking at his wiki page, Jim Shooter stayed at a YMCA for 3 weeks some time in the 70's.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Shrapnel wrote:Okay, seriously, what is the deal with the Hulk and the YMCA? Are we talking about the same Y that has swimming pools and shit, or something different?
It was in Rampaging Hulk, a mature readers book from the 80s that was influenced by the Bill Bixby TV show, and had a substantially lower power level as a result. It tried to deal with important contemporary issues like drug addiction, suicide, and rape.

Bruce is homeless and taking a shower at a YMCA, when he's confronted by two men who proposition him. When he refuses, they don't take no for an answer. He's emotionally numb, rather than angry, and thus doesn't transform. But he tells them who he is, and one of them lets him go before anything happens, the other berates his friend for being so gullible. After Bruce gets out of the building and has time to emotionally process what just happened, then he transforms into the Hulk.

No actual rape, but attempted rape.

In the same issue, Hulk meets a junkie who is so high she doesn't recognize that he's the Hulk. And one of Bruce Banner's friends kills herself with a drug overdose.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Yeesh. The eighties must've been a weird time.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Shrapnel wrote:Yeesh. The eighties must've been a weird time.
Cocaine's a helluva drug.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Shrapnel wrote:Yeesh. The eighties must've been a weird time.
I was raped by a SWAT team in Baltimore at age ten.

It's a difficult issue to deal with since it's so incredulous no one believes me.

As for rape in comics, I see it unnecessary to shove in the faces of young readers.
Imagine what would happen if Marvel studios introduced such concepts to the movies?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

JonSetanta wrote: As for rape in comics, I see it unnecessary to shove in the faces of young readers.
Imagine what would happen if Marvel studios introduced such concepts to the movies?
Rampaging Hulk was aimed at adults. Ms. Marvel was actually a complete accident, in that no one noticed how screwed up the situation they were writing was. They were going for a happy ending, but betwen rushed rewrites and a tight deadline, ended up with something very creepy, instead.
Mockingbird's encounter with the Phantom Rider never includes the word rape, nor is sex ever implied. You have to read between the lines to see what was intended.

I think Spider-Man's molestation is the only one intentionally included in a book aimed at children. And that was done for a very good reason.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.