The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
[OSSR] Convention Book: New World Order (Revised)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longes
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: [OSSR] Convention Book: New World Order (Revised) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The Technocracy is winning.

Look at the world around you. The rise of instant global communication and publication cemented our inevitable victory. Billions of people create and share with each other, thanks to — you guessed it — technology. Not through superstitious foolishness or bullshit technomagic. Honest hard work and Enlightened Science made this new world possible.

All hail the Technocratic Union, shepherds and saviors of mankind.

In the last 10 years, progress has taken interesting turns. Writers, musicians, and other creative producers cultivate fan bases and get their ideas out to the Masses while circumventing traditional gatekeepers. One-stop Internet shops offer people access to a myriad of ridiculous little luxuries at low, low prices. Instant communication turns the common citizen into a force to be reckoned with, whether in politics, commerce, or evangelism. Opinions are no longer isolated islands; look to product reviews and blog comments for evidence.

Technology is not just in the hands of the elite, financially or intellectually. Our grandparents have cell phones. People who were once Luddites use social media accounts to keep up with family and friends. Billions of minds touch one another, and because of that, the world has changed: Extraordinary citizens now far outnumber Enlightened ones. It’s a step in the right direction. The New World Order guides the world toward global Empowerment, and it starts with many minds opening up to the barest of inspiration, the crest of Genius.

The ultimate goal of the Technocratic Union might be achieved in our lifetime. The road ahead will by no means be easy; a number of hypertechnology experiments have been flat-out rejected by the Masses, and this world that’s beginning to touch Genius doesn’t want to be controlled. Even if that’s in its best interest.

It’s a truly interesting time for the New World Order. We have hope for the future, and yet, we worry that we’ve created a monster we cannot control. Chaos is as likely to reign as order. Not every Extraordinary citizen holds noble, ethical character. The wealthy use influence to spread anti-Technocratic messages, using the very tools the NWO’s supported. And as we’re beginning to see, once the Masses have a voice, they’ll use it to fight control and oppression.

But the New World Order will do what it always does: forge order from chaos, and protect humanity from all threats — even if that means protecting it from itself.
Longes
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OSSR - Convention Book: New World Order

This technically isn't an OSSR, as the book was released in 2012, but meh. This book is a supplement for Mage: the Ascension, Revised Edition dedicated to the key faction of the Technocracy - New World Order. These are the men in black, the troubleshooters, the government agents with whom your average mage character will conflict the most.

This cover sucks. The drawing tells me nothing about what's going on, the metallic grey is ugly. It's just weird. All technocratic convention books got very ugly covers, and that's just unfortunate.

The book has surprisingly sane structure for a WoD book. We immediately get credits on page 2, followed by table of contents with understandable AND fluffly names, followed by the intro fiction.

Apparently this book had 5 authors, 1 developer and 1 editor. However, all but one author have Special Thanks dedicated to them, which makes me think that Ryan Macklin (both author and developer) was the one doing all the work.

This accurately sets the tone for the opening fiction

Our opening fiction is a story of Frank, a Hermetic Master of Forces (yes, this is the in-character acknowledgement that he has 5 dots of Forces) who got captured by the Technocracy. The story is split into three chapters:

First is Day 1. Frank is in the Technocratic prison, being moved to an interrogation room. There he banters with an agent who demands to know who Frank is, before revealing that the agent has infiltrated Frank's chantry and sabotaged them, leading to Frank's capture.

Then we flashback to Day -4. In Rio de Janeiro Frank is hanging out on a roof watching the police and technocrats start the raid on his chantry. Then the chantry suddenly explodes, and Frank has a short magic duel with a technocratic terminator before learning an important life lesson - you can't counterspell bullets.

Finally we move into the future. It is now Day 17 and Frank is still being tortured and asked who he is, all answers being rejected. Frank finally boils over and breaks out of his restraints, killing some technocratic mooks in the process. At which point he looks at himself, realises that he's been turned into a terminator and suffers BSOD.

All in all, this is a decent, if somewhat irrelevant, fiction story. It's four pages long, so it's short enough not to get boring. The action scene is nice, but it doesn't set the mood for your typical NWO game nor is it about normal NWO agents.
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who actually made these fucking things? White Wolf was dead and buried two times over when these "books" were finally produced. These never appeared in stores, and there are no reviews on Amazon. Hell, Amazon claims that only copy even exists and it is listed as a "collectible."

There's no company behind these, no product, no market, no game system, no fan base. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the extent to which they exist at all.

-Frank
Longes
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FrankTrollman wrote:
Who actually made these fucking things? White Wolf was dead and buried two times over when these "books" were finally produced. These never appeared in stores, and there are no reviews on Amazon. Hell, Amazon claims that only copy even exists and it is listed as a "collectible."

There's no company behind these, no product, no market, no game system, no fan base. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the extent to which they exist at all.

-Frank

They were published by Onyx Path Publishing and made by Ryan Macklin. All four of the revised convention books were made by Ryan Macklin.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't let me down now.

Too sweet me, bro.
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Longes wrote:
They were published by Onyx Path Publishing and made by Ryan Macklin. All four of the revised convention books were made by Ryan Macklin.

So they are made by some rando who was an uplifted fanboy at Evil Hat when White Wolf discorporated?

It's all pretty odd. These things don't seem to be any more official than the fan projects on big purple like Princess or Genius. I suspect even less games have been played incorporating them.

-Frank
DrPraetor
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, yeah, but back in the day all RPGs (Warlock the D&D variant, Arduin) were fanzines. This one actually might be good, so I'm curious about this review of the house rules of some rando.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Longes wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Frank

That explains the terrible art.
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DrPraetor wrote:
Well, yeah, but back in the day all RPGs (Warlock the D&D variant, Arduin) were fanzines. This one actually might be good, so I'm curious about this review of the house rules of some rando.

Your optimism is adorable.
Longes
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

erik wrote:
DrPraetor wrote:

Your optimism is adorable.

I'll try to post the History chapter later today.
Longes
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chapter One: History 2.0

The history in the NWO book is split into two parts. First we get a brief overvie of events between 1999 and 2012.

So, in 1999 there was this thing called the "Avatar Storm"/"Dimensional Anomaly", where anyone trying to enter Umbra got fucked with infinite aggravated damage per turn and all off-world colonies of mages and technocrats were lost, along with their leadership. While loss of high command was apparently a non-event for the Traditions, for Technocrats this lead to a period of upheaval and in-fighting. This important state gets all of three paragraphs dedicated to it. In short - the NWO installed a temporary government named "The Interim Cabal" and no one likes them except for the Progenitors. The fact that Progenitors like them makes NWO very suspicious and paranoid.

A paragraph is dedicated to 9/11. No mages were involved, but NWO is panicking because apparently 9/11 lead to massive but undefined changes in the Consensus.

Explicitly not that

A paragraph is dedicated to social media. Technocracy was not behind the social media boom and is only now picking up its slack. The NWO formed a new division called "The Feed" specifically for monitoring and controlling the social media, but the big wigs upstairs think that everyone in the Feed is a radical thinking loose canon.

Yes, you can play as the Facebook Police

Apparently in the last ten years a number of sorcerers in the world increased 12 times. Technocracy is celebrating and claiming this as a success of their model, Traditions are celebrating and claiming this as a success in their fight against the Technocracy. Void Engineers are claiming that this is all because of the spirit nuke and the Avatar Storm, but they are boring party poopers.

The last part of modern history is about the economic crises. They were caused by the loose canons in the Syndicate doing unsanctioned experiments with hyper-economics (i.e. magic). NWO is unhappy about this because:
a) Syndicate explicitly promised not to ruin world economy with unsanctioned magical experiments.
b) Each crisis is erroding people's belief into global financial system which makes them harder to control and leads to more economical crises due to Consensus changes.

And that's it for modern history of the NWO. It's an okay overview of the big changes in the american life and NWO's opinion on them. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the entire history chapter was just dedicated to modern history of the NWO, but unfortunately the other twenty pages of the chapter start at 1210 and mostly goes through boring magical history.

Next time: boring magical history. As an In-Character academic thesis!
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Longes wrote:

This cover sucks. The drawing tells me nothing about what's going on, the metallic grey is ugly. It's just weird. All technocratic convention books got very ugly covers, and that's just unfortunate.

All the convention books use chapter header art from Guide to the Technocracy for their cover art. In the same way that all of the tradition books use chapter header art from Mage the Ascension Revised for their cover art. They range from lame to mediocre. The only one that, IMO, stands out as 'good' is the blue-haired chick on the Euthanatos cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In My Humble Opinion... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: