Let us use Markdown in our posts

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Cervantes
Journeyman

Let us use Markdown in our posts

Post by Cervantes »

You can probably implement it in such a way that posts with Markdown are converted into BBCode (e.g. * into <i>, ** into <b>) before they're put on the server's post DB so it's backwards compatible. IDK how annoying it is to mess with phpbb though.
Last edited by Cervantes on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

It's my understanding that this is possible in phpbb2 (the version the Den runs) by flipping a switch in the admin control panel. However, the phpbb dev team removed this feature in phpbb3 due to the intrinsic XSS vulnerability. I happen to agree with them on this. There used to be a phpbb3 mod to restore the option, but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the Internet, so it's really and truly not something you can do in modern phpbb.

Assuming that the option does exist somewhere in the bowels of the Den's ACP, I wouldn't recommend enabling it from a security standpoint.

Is there something special you want to do with HTML tags that the BBCode available at present doesn't support? I could try writing a custom tag for you that fbmf (or such) could add.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I haven't found a robust markdown to bbcode conversion library in my searches, btw.

I've had to ammend the one I did find to include some common TGD tags.

I've actually inquired about helping to transition the boards to a modern open source forum but haven't made much headway. >_>