Furniture Monsters- When The Dungeon Itself Tries To Eat You

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Furniture Monsters- When The Dungeon Itself Tries To Eat You

Post by Prak »

I love the idea of running an adventure where every monster looks like a piece of furniture, a part of the room, a piece of treasure, etc. Apparently a lot of these monsters just didn't get updated to 3.X, and admittedly probably for good reason.

But I still want to do it.

So I need to stat some of these fuckers up.

Table of Contents (to be filled as I work)
Last edited by Prak on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

You know there is a Monsters thread you can post these in.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Death Linen
Formed by the energy of horrific nightmares psychically imprinted on the surroundings of dreamers, Death Linen seek to kill and eat living creatures. While they primarily come in one of three forms--the killer pillow, flannel beast and sheet phantom--these are just the most typical forms of death linen, and other forms may well exist, such as devouring duvets and slaying sleeping bags.

Death Linen Special Abilities
All death linen shares certain qualities, as seen below.
Disguise (Ex): All forms of death linen are, at their most basic, magically animated linens. A death linen has a +10 bonus to disguise checks made to pretend to be mundane linen of its type so long as it is still and not moving.
Suffocate (Ex): A death linen that has made a successful grapple check may attempt to suffocate its target. While suffocation usually takes some time, death linen can speed up the process somewhat with extraordinary and magical abilities. The DC to resist suffocation by a death linen starts at 10+1/2 the death linen's HD+the death linen's con mod, increasing by 1 each round.
Cloth Body (Ex): The "anatomy" of a death linen is almost entirely magical, and thus their bodies are little more than mundane cloth. This confers certain advantages and disadvantages in combat. It is remarkably hard to destroy cloth with weapons not meant for the task, and without holding it still. All death linens take half damage from slashing and piercing weapons, and are immune to bludgeoning unless they are grappled, in which case they take full damage from piercing and slashing weapons and half damage from bludgeoning. Death linens' cloth bodies are also susceptible to fire and acid, but take little damage from cold based attacks- they take double damage from fire, but are immune to cold.
Envelop: A death linen attacks by wrapping itself around its victim. When grappling, any attack on the death linen is also an attack on the grappled character, though it is softened somewhat. Subtract 2 from the initial attack roll and compare to the grappled victim's AC, if it hits, the grappled victim takes half the damage of the attack (before reductions or increases by Cloth Body)

Killer Pillow CR1
Small Aberration
Hit Die:2d8+2 (11 hp)
Init: +6
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 16 (+2 dex, +3 natural, +1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attacks: Slam +1m (1d2)
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Suffocate, Suggestion, Ambush, Wisdom Drain, Launch Self
Special Qualities: Cloth Body, Disguise, Envelop
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills: Disguise +2 (+12 when disguised as a mundane pillow)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Prone Attack (B)
Organization: Solitary, Pile (1d12 killer pillows) or Bed Set (1d2 killer pillows, 1 flannel beast, 2 sheet phantoms)
Environment: Interiors

Death pillows, generally, look like perfectly mundane pillows, though when active, they can exercise a remarkable amount of control over their bodies, even creating a sort of face from the creases in their bodies. They don't need to eat, sleep or breath, and thus can exist indefinitely, but they do have a craving for drawing out the life force of living creatures, represented by their suffocation and wisdom drain abilities. A creature which is killed by a killer pillow will be slowly desiccated and digested, eventually leaving no sign of it's previous meals.

Combat
The least intelligent of the death linens, killer pillows are able to scoot along at a fair clip, easily catching even fleeing humans, but they prefer to lie in wait for someone to lay down on them, where they can use their suggestion and suffocation abilities. That said, a killer pillow is remarkably capable for what is, at the end of the day, an evil pillow.
Improved Grab: A killer pillow which hits a target with its slam can immediately initiate a grapple.
Suffocate: A killer pillow is mystically adept at suffocating its targets. When grappling a victim, the DC to resist suffocation by the killer pillow begins at DC 13 (10+1/2 HD+con mod)
Suggestion (Sp): A killer pillow can use a weak suggestion effect, at will. The suggestion is always "sleep" or similar, and has a DC of 13. (This is not a language dependent effect)
Launch Self: The killer pillow is capable of leaping up to 20 ft. It is loathe to use this ability, but if a target comes near, showing no inclination to sleep on it, and resisting its suggestion, it will take matters into its own tassels.
Ambush: A killer pillow's first attack against a target laying on it always succeeds.
Wisdom Drain: A killer pillow that has successfully pinned its victim may begin draining its wisdom, dealing 1d4 points of wisdom damage each round the pin is maintained.

Flannel Beast CR 3
Medium Aberration
Hit Die: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Init: +8
Speed: 60 ft
AC: 17 (+4 dex, +3 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
Attacks: Whip snap +7m (1d6)
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Suffocate, Ambush, Wisdom Drain, Constrict 2d6+4
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Disguise +2 (+12 when disguised as a mundane sheet), Hide +8, Move Silently +8
Feats: Improved Initiative, Stealth, Prone Attack (B)
Organization: Solitary, Heap (1d4 flannel beasts), Bed Set (1d2 killer pillows, 1 flannel beast, 2 sheet phantoms)
Environment: Interiors

A flannel beast lies in wait in the form of a soft flannel, either in a rumpled heap or spread over a bed. Once a potential victim has decided to go to sleep and pull the flannel beast over themselves, the flannel beast quickly twists into a serpentine form, complete with snake-like head of creased and folded flannel, at which point it constricts its victim, trying to suffocate it. If it fails to grapple an opponent, it can lash out with it's twisted tail, making stinging blows that will raise welts and open lacerations, while wrapping around the opponent's arm or leg.

Combat
Improved Grab: A flannel beast which hits a target with its whip snap can immediately initiate a grapple.
Suffocate: A flannel beast is mystically adept at suffocating its targets. When grappling a victim, the DC to resist suffocation by the killer pillow begins at DC 15 (10+1/2 HD+con mod)
Ambush: A flannel beast's first attack against a target laying on or beneath it always succeeds.
Wisdom Drain: A flannel beast that has successfully pinned its victim may begin draining its wisdom, dealing 1d4 points of wisdom damage each round the pin is maintained.
Constrict: A flannel beast automatically deals double damage from its whip snap attack against a grappled opponent each round.

Sheet Phantom CR 5
Medium Aberration
Hit Die: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
Init: +9
Speed: 60 ft
AC: 18 (+5 dex, +3 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attacks: 2 Slams (1d6+4)
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Suffocate, Ambush, Wisdom Drain, Constrict 4d6+16, Frightful Presence
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Disguise +6 (+16 when disguised as a sheet), Hide +13, Move Silently +13
Feats: Improved Initiative, Stealth, Prone Attack (B)
Organization: Solitary, Tangle (1d4), or Bed Set (1d2 killer pillows, 1 flannel beast, 2 sheet phantoms)
Environment: Any

The sheet phantom is the most intelligent and dedicated of death linens. When active, it rises up and twists itself into a disturbing humanoid form, seeming to glide along. While it is content to await victims to slip beneath it, unlike other death linens, the sheet phantom thinks nothing of pursuing victims who run from it, and some can be found fluttering in the breeze, pretending to be hung to dry.

Combat
Improved Grab: A sheet phantom which hits a target with its slam can immediately initiate a grapple.
Suffocate: A sheet phantom is mystically adept at suffocating its targets. When grappling a victim, the DC to resist suffocation by the killer pillow begins at DC 17 (10+1/2 HD+con mod)
Ambush: A sheet phantom's first attack against a target laying on or beneath it always succeeds.
Wisdom Drain: A sheet phantom that has successfully pinned its victim may begin draining its wisdom, dealing 1d4 points of wisdom damage each round the pin is maintained.
Constrict: A sheet phantom automatically deals double damage from its slam attacks against a grappled opponent each round.
Frightful Presence: The gyrating, flapping, fluttering and whispering of a sheet phantom in motion can strike fear in the hearts of mortals who were not quite expecting the fucking bedding to chase them, in a way that the more sedentary death linens cannot. A sheet phantom that rises from prone, attacks, or charges provokes a Will save (DC 17) from anyone within 60 ft against being shakened. A shakened target becomes Frightened, and a Frightened target becomes panicked.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Wiseman wrote:You know there is a Monsters thread you can post these in.
Yeah, but... I figured that was yours.

Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

It was meant for anyone to use. Probably should have made that more clear...
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Eh, it's cool. I also considered using my compilation thread for this, but I decided I wanted it to be its own thread.

Hazards

Cushion Fungus CR 5?
The cushion fungus is an oblong, velvet-textured mass, 2 to 8 feet in size, which thrives in dry, dark environments with little air movement. When the fungus senses the movement of air, or a change in ambient temperature (such as warm-bodied creatures entering the otherwise cool space) within 30', it releases a spray of spores in a 20' radius. The spores are nearly invisible, requiring a DC 20 Spot check to notice. Noticed or not, creatures in the area must make a DC 25 Fort save. Those who fail begin to feel drowsy, with sleep overcoming them in 1d4 rounds. Humanoids who are immune to sleep, such as elves, are instead paralyzed. Meanwhile, those who succeed are affected as by the Confusion spell for 1d4 rounds, and must save again after 1 minute.
A creature affected by the fungus' spores sleeps for 1d4 days, but so long as the fungus is intact, and it detects nearby living creatures, it will release spores once every 1d10 rounds.
Neutralize poison will cure the effects of the fungus' spores, but if the creature is not removed from the area, they will need to save against spores again.
If a creature falls asleep adjacent to the fungus, there is a chance they will fall onto and burst the fungus-- roll as if determining where a missed thrown attack would land, any amount of damage will burst the fungus. A fungus that bursts, either because a creature fell on it, or a creature attacked it, will release a cloud of spores in a 30' radius which persists for 1d4+1 rounds. These spores are more concentrated, thus they can be easily seen, and the Fort save to resist their effects is DC 30. Creatures who fail this save fall asleep (or are paralyzed) for 1d4+2 days.
Slumbering creatures who are not rescued from the affects of the fungus will soon die of starvation and thirst, as they are covered in the fine spores of the cushion fungus. In addition to keeping the creature asleep, the spores also desiccate the victim and drain it of nutrients, causing thirst and starvation to deal twice as much nonlethal damage (2d6 nonlethal per hour or day respectively instead of 1d6). A creature who dies in the radius of a cushion fungus' spores becomes a new cushion fungus within 5d6 days, or 3d4 days if the cushion fungus burst.
Habitats and Ecology: Cushion fungi only survive in areas of still or nearly still air. Spores brought into an area with regular air movement will not mature. Mature fungi must be pulled away from their habitat to be moved, and thus will quickly die if not allowed to re-establish themselves in an area of still air (the fungi use spores to establish itself, and thus moving air prevents this). Cushion fungi cannot move.
The spores of cushion fungi are incapable of digesting inorganic matter, such as metal, gems, stone, or even water, can be found within fungi. Of course, splitting a cushion fungus open to find such presents its own problems.

Sheet fungus CR 3
Sheet fungus is a specialized variety of green slime which trades its acid for camouflage, durability and a degree of mobility. Sheet fungi resemble fine tapestries, and cling to walls or ceilings awaiting living creatures, which it detects by the movement of air, vibration, or the presence of heat.
When creatures pass next to or beneath a sheet fungus, it will drop onto them, attempting to wrap around and suffocate them. A DC 25 reflex save will allow the target to avoid having its mouth covered by the fungus, but the fungus will adhere to it regardless, and attempt to creep over the target's nose and mouth. Treat the fungus as having a +15 grapple check.
A sheet fungus can only be removed by first succeeding at a grapple check, then a DC 25 strength check to peel it off, which deals 2d4 points of damage as it rips away. The fungus can be driven off by attacking it, but any attack made against it deals half damage to the fungus and half to the victim. Fire or cold damage, sunlight, or the spell neutralize poison will destroy a patch of sheet fungus.
Sheet fungus can move very slowly, effectively possessing a speed of 1 foot.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lock Lurker CR4?
Diminutive Aberration
Hit Die: 4d8+2 (3 hp)
Init: +7
Speed: 45 ft, Climb 45 ft
AC: 29 (+7 dex, +4 natural, +4 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
Attacks: Bite +11m (1) or Sting +11m (1 plus venom)
Special Attacks: Venom
Special Qualities: Partial Etherealness
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 25, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: Disguise +16, Hide +19, Move Silently +16
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Organization: Solitary, Purse (1d12)
Environment: Dungeons and Cities

The lock lurker is a strange quasi-arachnid creature possibly related to the phase spider and ranging between 6 inches and just over a foot (including stinger). The most commonly seen part of the lock lurker is it's metallic shell which resembles a large metal disc, usually copper or bronze, though occasionally a more valuable metal. The rest of the creature--it's head, legs, thorax and stinger--extend into the ethereal plane, only flickering into the Prime when used there. The lock lurker's bite is extremely sharp, easily piercing any material that is not metallic, it's stinger, however, even pierces metal.

Combat
Venom: The sting of a lock lurker carries a powerful two-stage venom. Anyone struck by a lock lurker's sting must make a Fort 20 save or be affected as if by a slow effect which lasts for 1 round. On their next round, they must make another Fort 20 save. If successful, they are slowed for another round before fully fighting off the venom. If they fail, however, they are paralyzed for 1d6 hours, followed by a 2 round slow effect, before recovering fully.
Partial Etherealness: The majority of the lock lurker's body extends into the ethereal plane. It can phase in it's stinger, bite or legs at will for use in the prime material plane, but outside of this, only it's shell is normally seen. A lock lurker can be attacked quite easily by another creature on the ethereal plane, where all parts of the body are present. The lock lurker can manifest fully on the material plane at will, but doing so takes a full round, which allows any creatures who threaten it on the ethereal plane a free attack.
Skills: The lock lurker naturally resembles a large coin, and has a +20 racial bonus to disguise checks made to appear to be nothing more than that. It is also preternaturally stealthy, and has a +8 racial bonus to move silently checks.

Ecology
While one might think finding a lock lurker in their loot would be a bad thing, if it can be subdued, the body of the lock lurker can actually be quite valuable. A mostly intact lock lurker body is worth 2 gp, or 6 gp if the stinger is attached. A flask of lock lurker venom goes for 10 gp, and the egg sacks of the hermaphroditic creatures are worth 25 gp.
Last edited by Prak on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Palimpsest CR 2
Diminutive Construct

Hit Die: 1d10
Init: +5
Speed: Fly 15 ft (perfect)
AC: 19 (+5 dex, +4 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
Attacks: Papercut +5m (1d3)
Special Attacks: Absorb
Special Qualities: Construct traits, Immunities
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +0
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 20, Con --, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 15
Skills: Disguise +4 (+12 when disguised as a piece of paper)
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Advancement: 2 HD (Tiny), 3-4 HD (Small), 5-6 HD (Medium), 7-8 HD (Large), 9-10 HD (Huge)
Organization: Solitary, Pamphlet (1d6)
Environment: Urban

The palimpsest is a magically animated sheet of paper that hungers for the life force of living creatures. Most palimpsests are solitary things, left to be found by adventurers rifling through their creators' workshops, but there are rumors of entire libraries full of palimpsests. A palimpsest is typically made of parchment, but it's not unheard of for them to be other materials, especially as they grow larger.

Combat
In combat, a palimpsest tries to absorb as many creatures as possible, but if they resist, it can swipe with it's razor sharp edges. Because it is helpless while absorbing a target, and is a slow flier, a palimpsest will only attack a target which is motionless or distracted. They will also avoid attacking a group larger than the maximum number of creatures they can absorb.
Absorb (Su): A palimpsest may attempt to absorb any creature which touches it, or which it touches with a successful melee touch attack. A creature targeted this way must make a Fort save, DC 17 (cha based, +4 racial bonus). If a creature fails this save, they are absorbed over the next two rounds, during which time both the palimpsest and their victim are helpless.
An absorbed creature becomes part of the scene depicted on the palimpsest, and cannot move within it.
A palimpsest can absorb a number of creatures at one time equal to its hit dice. Once it is "full," the palimpsest will attempt to fly away to digest its meal, which takes a number of days equal to the victim's HD.
There are a few ways to free a victim from a palimpsest. First, any electric spell has a chance of freeing a victim equal to 5%*spell level, and chain lightning has a 10% chance per offshoot to free another victim beyond the first. A wish spell can free a victim from a palimpsest if they have not yet been completely digested. Once they are digested, their body is destroyed and their soul trapped. The palimpsest must be destroyed to free their soul, then a pair of wish spells must be cast as normal to resurrect them. Finally, a specific series of spells can free an un-digested victim: first, remove curse will allow the victim to move about the decoration. If this is followed by a banishment spell, the victim may be lifted off the page in a form similar to a paper doll, and then resurrection can restore them to their full, normal state.
Immunities: The magic which animates the palimpsest also makes it immune to common vulnerabilities of paper. A palimpsest is completely immune to piercing and slashing weapons, and all forms of fire damage.