Could movies/TV/Books be a part of Mouse Cookie?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Could movies/TV/Books be a part of Mouse Cookie?

Post by OgreBattle »

Mundane and Pointless Stuff is mostly real life commentary, but there's some fiction threads there too. But I feel like rambling about Gundam has more in common with rambling about Disgaea
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

My opinion, for whatever little it is worth, is that the Mouse sub forum is for video games specifically and exclusively (It was called "Video Games" for all of five seconds before people got on fbmf's nerves.), and should contain only video game topics.

MPSIMS, meanwhile, is exactly that: whatever non-gaming related topics people wanted to talk about, whether it be there lives or their favorite movies or what their pet rock had for dinner. It's pretty much THE place for miscellaneous ramblings, and I think it's dumb to say that MPSIMS is or should be confined to "real-life commentary".
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I'm down with moving all non-tabletop entertainment into Mouse and letting MPSIMS be the politics/news board. Particularly in light of recent events, some people are trying to avoid reality and facilitating that would be polite.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Separating media, or "Source & Reference Material", from the real life & ideological, discussions that make up a lot of the MIPSIS contributions; is a valid arguement. However; I barely look at MIPSIS much myself, and my posts there are rare at best. Additionally, I feel that lumping non-game media in with existing forums may dilute any existing subforums; and make forum navigation more difficult.

Perhaps TGD might be better served by a separate sub-board for non-game media? INMHO, covers analogue games; and IGTMAC, covers digital. The regular reference of source material as examples for acceptable narrative options, is probably a good one; one can't possibly hope to make a story without being able to reference some aspects of shared culture between the narrator-editor and the co-contributers. A section of the forum where posters create their interpretations of source material* as a means of sharing possible references for players & gaming groups.

*:E.g.
-Breakdown of narrative timing
-Interpretation of source material into game mechanics
-Type Groupings/Lists (Items, Spells, Creatures)
-Power-Scale tables (e.g. Bilbo Baggins at the start; Mad Martigan somewhere around high mortal power; Aragon, son of Arathorn somewhere between mortal-supernatural; Leto II God-Emperor of Dune for obvious supernatural power but limited setting; Corwin of Amber for obfuscated supernatural power with near limitless setting).
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I've no actual dog in this race, but if anything, it's politics that doesn't belong in MPSIMS; after all, the latter stands for "Mundane and Pointless Stuff I Must Share" - that is about whichever TV you're watching, and (hopefully) not about how to oppose Trump.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

I'm okay with the politics threads in MPSIMS, because they're obvious. When I click on a thread titled "Trump Thread" I know what I'm signing on for and when I'm not in the mood, I can just pick a random page in "From the Depths of Wikipedia".

What we need is a polite way to tell all the people in "[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither..." to stop talking about the GOP. That'd be nice.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

There is a non-political thread buried down there.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Zaranthan wrote: What we need is a polite way to tell all the people in "[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither..." to stop talking about the GOP. That'd be nice.
Perhaps: "Fuckoff to the US news or Trump thread if continuing a discussion only about the US."