[Gauging Interest] The Vaguest LFG Thread Ever

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Neurosis
Duke

[Gauging Interest] The Vaguest LFG Thread Ever

Post by Neurosis »

So I'm looking for something to run for y'all or play with y'all and I'm incredibly flexible on the what and the who. D&D 3.5 is sort of a comfort food for me right now in these troubled times, but I also have three or four of my own game settings that--it being impossible to eliminate bias here--I think are eminently playable.

I judge I'm a pretty good GM on the basis that I've sold dozens of copies of my games/books to random strangers after running an off-the-cuff demo for them, but by all means I don't even need to be the MC, I'm just looking to play or run...something. I know I'd have better chances of finding people willing to play some random TTRPG with me on TBP, but almost everyone there is a garbage monster and I'm banned for life anyway, and even if I wasn't I'd rather cast my vague-ass lure into this pirannha pond than that cesspit.

I prefer Skype or Skype-alogs to play by post.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

What's your time-zone?
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Not sure if I have time for more games at the moment, but eh, what the heck.

I'd recommend using Discord, making a server and posting a link to it here for potentially interested parties.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I might be willing to run or MC a game. I'll have a bit more free time in the next couple months.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

As expected, interest was mild and nonspecific. I decided to give it three or four days because I know the Den's a quiet corner of internetland.

@angelfromanotherpin:

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone (US), and free pretty much all the time except Friday and Saturday nights (at least right now). I have a job that appropriately enough I can schedule around gaming rather than the other way around.

@radthemad:

Discord is brand new to me but assuming it's not too hard to figure out I should be able to do that.

@Avoraciopoctules:

Any preference whether you'd like to MC or play? If you feel like running something by all means hold forth on what you feel like running.

Everyone, what would you prefer?

a) I've got a D&D setting I'm fairly invested in that is not of my own creation but which I've customized substantially (including adding a dash of crossworlds shared universe stuff). Casual moderate to low-op 3.5 is where I'm most comfortable. Input as to the level sweet spot desired is welcome. The setting has mostly been used for weird assymetrical high level play but I'm very curious what's going on at lower power levels.

b) The first game I ever sold is this game called SPLINTER which I think I rambled about on here before it was ever published. Since everyone here knows the D&D, the premise is that it's far future dystopian Earth and the PCs are forced to/choose to play weird-ass D&D-as-a-bloodsport, as shape-shifting demigods in what is literally a randomly generated dungeon of infinite size. Based on the negative reaction I got from one denner, I'm not gonna like, require anyone to buy the game (someone felt like they were being scammed when I mandated they buy the book for a writing gig, and this is way more casual than a paid writing gig). But if I'm the only one what knows the rules, a fair degree of opacity will be unavoidable. Shouldn't be too much trouble though, it's a weird ass system anyway.

c) Other. Feel free to suggest pretty much anything you've had an inkling to play except Shadowrun (still too soon), After Sundown (no hate there, just don't know my way around it), or that Bearworld bullshit (we hates it...hates it).

Assuming that +/-3 is around what I can expect from this thread, I might be able to bring around one more person to round it up to a more comfortable 4.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I would be interested, but I'm living in the wrong timezone, and my work schedule is unpredictable anyway.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Tentatively extending an offer to play a DND game, pending schedule, and game specifics being announced.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I am not familiar with Discord, but am willing to learn. I've run games over Skype before, and have some experience with play-by-post. Pacific Time Zone, tend to work late on Mondays.
Neurosis wrote:@Avoraciopoctules:

Any preference whether you'd like to MC or play? If you feel like running something by all means hold forth on what you feel like running.
D&D 3.x or Pathfinder? Here's 3 basic pitches:
[Level 5]Castlevania There's a Dark Lord in a fortress of doom, and you're here to mess it up. Some of the regional boss monsters are reasonable enough to cut a deal with, and you might be able get allies to help you take the place over outright.

[Level 7]Death Race. Some fabulous prize requires you beat a bunch of other jerks to a destination on a trip that takes you through crazy and alien environments. Ridiculous magitech airships will figure in at least some of the time. Maybe with cannons you can shoot at each other.

[Level 10]Prison Break. YOU are the sealed evil in a can. And it's time to bust out. Weird monster characters encouraged, because it'll make the obstacles at the beginning and end of your adventure a lot more interesting. A cell for a Guardian Naga is gonna look way different than one for Tordek the Dwarf.

I have a slight preference to play rather than MC, but I'd still be happy doing either.
Neurosis wrote:a) I've got a D&D setting I'm fairly invested in that is not of my own creation but which I've customized substantially (including adding a dash of crossworlds shared universe stuff). Casual moderate to low-op 3.5 is where I'm most comfortable. Input as to the level sweet spot desired is welcome. The setting has mostly been used for weird assymetrical high level play but I'm very curious what's going on at lower power levels.

I'd be willing to throw a character together, but I'd want some more detail on the setting so I could hook them into some of the interesting bits. I'd prefer to play in the Level 6 - Level 12ish range.

You say you prefer moderate to low optimization. Would you call this level 6 wizard NPC too weak? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/ ... n-evoker-6

I'm not particularly into SPLINTER, but I could probably make a fun gladiator if other people are into it.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Discord is pretty easy to use and imo and ime better than Skype for gaming (unless you want video, which Discord doesn't have). Currently, my preferred gaming setup is Discord for chat and/or voice, and Roll20 for battlegrids and rolling. Though if you guys don't plan on using battlegrids, you could probably put a dicebot into a Discord server instead. You can use Discord without registering and you can also just use it from a browser instead of downloading it if you prefer (though, voice might not work in some people's computers via browser). I made up a server for the hell of it in case you want to try it out: https://discord.gg/FPvJmPw (just click the link, even if you don't have the desktop software downloaded (it'll just open in a browser page) and/or don't have an account (you don't need to make an account to access this server) ). I'll probably delete it later if an MC creates one instead.

I'm familiar with 3.5, Pathfinder and Tome, though I might be willing to learn a new system. I'd prefer not using Pathfinder as a 'base system' due to having lost track of errata and the ten thousand tiny changes at some point, but I'm fine with Pathfinder materials being in play.
Avoraciopoctules wrote:
D&D 3.x or Pathfinder? Here's 3 basic pitches:
[Level 5]Castlevania There's a Dark Lord in a fortress of doom, and you're here to mess it up. Some of the regional boss monsters are reasonable enough to cut a deal with, and you might be able get allies to help you take the place over outright.

[Level 7]Death Race. Some fabulous prize requires you beat a bunch of other jerks to a destination on a trip that takes you through crazy and alien environments. Ridiculous magitech airships will figure in at least some of the time. Maybe with cannons you can shoot at each other.

[Level 10]Prison Break. YOU are the sealed evil in a can. And it's time to bust out. Weird monster characters encouraged, because it'll make the obstacles at the beginning and end of your adventure a lot more interesting. A cell for a Guardian Naga is gonna look way different than one for Tordek the Dwarf.
I like the sound of Death Race or Prison Break more than Castlevania.

The biggest factor deciding whether or not I play is timings though.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

What times work for you? You're already in some games, what would you consider the ideal placement for start and end times?

For reference, Monday is straight out for me, and I'd prefer not to start until 7 on weekends. I have days off every other Thursday and Friday I could game earlier.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Using Central Time.

Ideal time for me is Thursday morning, but any other time Thursday is likely to work. Same with Friday, but I have a game on Friday night, starting around 8:00 PM for around four hours.

My Sundays are completely booked, but I 'might' be able to make time between 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM any other day with advance notice.

More specifically: http://doodle.com/poll/zs5ykui3h9xe5hf4

If you guys put your weekly timings in the page I linked above, it could help with coordinating schedules. If you're not on Central Time, that site might automatically change the listed times to your local times, but you can select a time zone there and it'll display the times I (or anyone else) marked in the selected timezone.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

It looks like your ideal time includes a window from 9-6 Pacific Time, on Friday the 10th. I could probably do something then, but I'll need to review my workload.

I put 2 chunks of time in the page, might have to revise if my schedule looks different today.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

My preference is play by post with daily or bi-daily updates
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'd vastly prefer live gaming over pbp, but a den game sounds like fun so I'm interested.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

So...did this Thread ever go anywhere? It took me a minute to realize this thread wasn't actually current to this month.
Neurosis wrote:Based on the negative reaction I got from one denner, I'm not gonna like, require anyone to buy the game (someone felt like they were being scammed when I mandated they buy the book for a writing gig, and this is way more casual than a paid writing gig). But if I'm the only one what knows the rules, a fair degree of opacity will be unavoidable. Shouldn't be too much trouble though, it's a weird ass system anyway
I like Gladiators, and I'm more willing to trust the designs of a Denner than some other guy, so I'm certainly interested in getting this game.

Speaking of, was this the RPG of someone talked about it being super hyper deadly quite possibly, and only reason not dead is because of the crowd loving you, and a narrow 1d6 RNG or something like that? What are the faults with the system currently, how they can be avoided, or what needs houserules etc?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Aryxbez wrote:So...did this Thread ever go anywhere? It took me a minute to realize this thread wasn't actually current to this month.
Nope. I might still have time for another game though. I don't know if Avoraciopoctules is still interested. My timings are pretty much: http://doodle.com/poll/zs5ykui3h9xe5hf4
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Sorry, I started DMing for another group on Discord, and I probably won't be wrapping that up for a month or two. I won't have time for a new game until then.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.