[Pbp] Psychosis - Ship of Fools

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Thal, Darth, I'm going to need checks (Swords or Pentacles) to stealth to an ambush spot.

Thaluikhain:
Hand: Wands 8, Cups 5, Wands 2
Trace: Wands 20, Cups 16
Darth Rabbitt:
I notice that I somehow forgot to refill your hand at some point, you draw Swords 16, Ace of Swords (discarded), Swords 8. The Major Arcana revealed is Death, which remains in play.
Hand: Swords 16, Swords 8, Swords 6
Trace: Pentacles 12, Cups 8
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Try Wands 20 as a non-opposed card.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Swords 16 plus my cups 8 card, for 24 total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The opposition reveals five cards: Cups 12, Wands 10, Wands 14, Ace of Wands, Cups 7. The Ace is discarded and replaced with Wands 7. The Major Arcana drawn is The Hermit, which has no immediate effect.

Stealthing away completely is automatic, attacking from ambush is Swords.

SlyJohnny:
You redraw Swords 10 and Pentacles 2.
"Goddamnit," says your reluctant ally. "Fine, let's find a good place to ambush them then."

You and your companions fall back down the corridor, keeping low to stay out of sight, and squeezing into an alcove just as the remaining enemies come into view, calling for their squadmate, whose name is apparently 'Steve.'

Upon seeing Steve's body, they become very upset, one swearing, another rushing to the side of the body, and another seemingly trying to aim in all directions with his weapon. Their distraction makes a fine opportunity to either complete your escape or attack them by surprise.
Thaluikhain:
You and your crew scramble away from the entrance and just manage to throw yourselves into a ditch before the Sisters would get eyes on you. You hear them freaking out over their bar's deadmeat, and a quick peek shows that between gawking and weeping, they don't have eyes to spare for you. It's a prime chance for whacking or else backing (away). Slice gestures eagerly with his BoomBoom™.
Darth Rabbitt:
"Let's find a better ambush point," says one of your allies, and you all creep away from the approaching guards, and crouch down behind a fallen alien statue.

The guards come into view, still bursting static at each other from behind their facemasks. When they see the body, they rush over to examine it, one going so far as to shake it, as if hoping it was merely sleeping. If you wanted to hurl your charge, or even finish sneaking away, now's the time.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I chuck a grenade at them from hiding. Swords 8 + Swords 6 + trace (Cups 8) for 22 total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Try Wands 20 as a non-opposed card for whacking with BoomBoom.

(I'm a rebel so I don't respect the trademark)
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I watch the others, carefully, to see if (and how) they arm and throw their grenades. If they do, I'll wait to see the results of their efforts, then throw one as well if there's anyone still alive after the initial explosions. Otherwise, I'll remain in cover.

(Swords 14, Wands 16, Sword 10 to throw grenade if necessary)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

SlyJohnny:
Opposition reveals Cups 3, Ace of Pentacles, Wands 3, Wands 4, Swords 12. Ace is discarded and replaced by Wands 6. Arcana revealed is The Moon.
One of your allies' throws sends their grenade too far, the blast only throwing the enemies forward. They begin to fire wildly in your general direction, their weapons' beams leaving glowing points of heated metal where they strike. A second grenade catches a beam before it reaches them, but that explosion leaves them stunned, and you manage to place your own device among them while they drift in confusion. You duck back behind cover before it, and yet the whole corridor seems to quake from the blast, which rattles your head against a bulkhead.
When you raise your head over the lip of the ditch, those Sisters still vaping are all feebly groaning heaps, meat for the vats. Still, your team isn't pain-free. Jackoboy caught a dud dart to the chest, and is curled up like he took a punch from a V-baller. Slice seems fine, though.
Hand: Pentacles 2
Trace: Pentacles 20, Wands 16, Swords 14
Sly, you and Thal can now communicate freely without waiting for me to interpret.

Thaluikhain:
Opposition reveals Wands 10, Cups 7, Swords 16, Cups 6, Pentacles 4.
One by one, you all throw the BoomBooms™, but as yours leaves your hand, you get a hard shove in the chest and have to sit down and figure out how to breathe. It takes a while, and you realize that you took a wild shot from one of the Sisters. You pry the missile out of your jacket - it's an explosive bullet, but it didn't go off, so it was just a big slow thing (for a bullet) that punched you. You'll have a murderous bruise.

Still, from the sound of it, the Sisters are done. You should have a free hand in the area, for a while at least.
Hand: Wands 8, Cups 5, Wands 2
Trace: Wands 20, Cups 16
Thal, you and Sly can now communicate freely without waiting for me to interpret. Also, Pain has made one of your Trace cards unavailable for a while.

Darth Rabbitt:
Opposition reveals Wands 7, Swords 10, Cups 14, Swords 4, Pentacles 6. You re-draw Wands 5, Cups 12, Pentacles 14.
The charges do their work, hurling men against stone, and shattering stone into deadly showers of shrapnel. The guards get off a few wild shots, and one of those sweeps across one of your allies, but the beam is half-scattered by a cloud of stone dust, and they do not seem too badly off. The guards, on the other hand, are all left dead or incapacitated. Faint groans are all they seem to be able to manage.

In your victory, you feel a sense of profound relief, as though a weight you had carried for far too long has been lifted from you.
Hand: Pentacles 14, Cups 12, Wands 5
Trace: Pentacles 12, Cups 8
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

So SlyJohnny is Sweet Pea, but I don't know that?

Loot the bodies.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Leave some for me," I say and head over to loot the bodies myself.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

"Everything's changed again. You were a sheriff and deputy before, right? Now you're some kind of underhive punks? And the people we killed changed, too."

I eye Jackoboy's apparent wound. "Well, I'll assume that's real. Let me see if there's more medical stuff, back there." l trust my comrades to secure the casualties, and head back in to search the control room.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Thaluikhain wrote:So SlyJohnny is Sweet Pea, but I don't know that?
Yes, although Sweet Pea's most recent speech is out of character for him. And seriously, feel free to respond to him out of the usual sequence.

SlyJohnny & Thaluikhain:
The BoomBooms™ have left very little to salvage. The Sisters' weapons are shattered, and their clothes shredded. Your victims are still alive, but bleeding badly from their wounds, unable to do more than twitch.

"P, did you just take one of everything this morning?" asks Slice.

The inside of the control room pumping station is a mess, with half-melted pipes leaking everywhere, making the sound of an entire primary school urinating at once. Still, absent the threat of death, something about the place tugs at your thoughts, like a forgotten chore or misremembered safety procedure.
Cups challenge to remember the thing.

Darth Rabbitt:
The demolition charges have left very little to salvage. Even the stone of the passage is cracked, and what's left of your enemies resembles an unfortunate meat sauce smeared down the corridor. One of your fellows strides through the mess, leaving red footprints, making for the far end of the corridor and whatever lies beyond.
If you follow your friend, you can make a Cups check to remember a thing. If you'd prefer to dredge the slurry for spoils or perform some other activity in the corridor, that's fine too.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I try to remember the thing. Cups 12 + the two trace cards (Pentacles is a non-opposed suit) is 32.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I concentrate very, very hard on this feeling as I assess the architecture of this place.

(Playing 20 Pentacles.)
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Try cups 16 to remember.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

SlyJohnny and Thaluikhain:
As you wander through the station, it comes to each of you, one by one; you know how to work the controls of this equipment. Jackoboy learned how to maneuver the Clean Cobra™ inpipe drones from a vocational program in juvie. Sweet Pea's mastery of elaborate novelty bongs has given him a good grasp of hydraulic mapping. Slice has been doing under-the-table plumbing for years, and can wrench what must be wrenched. You could shut down this station legit, then jack it expert-style, so it couldn't be unjacked.

Or you could, if half the stuff wasn't in total harsh realm.

"Hold up," says Slice. He's found a working terminal. "Can't do much from here, right? Not enough keys left. But there are keys close by. This place is set to take orders from an intake block. We can do it all from there. Trouble is, the block's outside. Outside outside. Still, any outlock will have emergency rad-gear, sure."
Darth Rabbitt:
The corridor leads you into a room very like the one you fled from earlier, the same glyphs, the same huge inhuman statues. But in this room, there is the sense of a guiding presence. You and each of your companions is drawn to a particular set of symbols, which glow softly at your approach, and you intuit that you can manipulate the symbols to do... something. It's almost as if you were being fed the knowledge telepathically.

Each of you works at your glyph set, and a new hidden passage opens. You know without comprehending that all the answers you've been seeking can be found at the end of it, if you have the courage.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

"Does any of this stuff actually do what you think it does, though? Right now, this looks like hydraulic controls to me. Before, I thought we were on a spaceship. I was sure I was an airship navigator, before that. There are consistent elements, so I think I've been in the same physical location each time, but I don't know why those people were trying to kill us, or what we should be doing to make them stop."

I look around for any medical supplies, trying to work out where the locker with the rifles was, before, and what's there now. I hope I can stabilise one of the guards and demand some answers.

I glance back at the controls. "Although... they were totally shooting those things up, right? They were before, anyway. They didn't want us to be here."

If there's no medical supplies to be found, I'll go and peer over Slice's shoulder, examining what he's seeing.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I'm going to see what there is to loot. Tools would be nice, random expensive electronics not bad, but a sturdy pipe to use as a club would be something.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I head down the hidden passage, hoping to finally figure out what's going on in this crazy place.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

SlyJohnny:
Your bars meet your words with awkward stony silence. There is no locker or locker-like compartment to be seen. You approach Slice's terminal as he leaves it, heading for the door with purpose in his stride. Jackoboy is stuffing odds and ends into his pockets.

The terminal displays a schematic of the local waterworks, covered in technical notations. It confirms Slice's statements: this station can be controlled from another location, one that is outside the city, in a radiation zone. Everything outside the city seems to be marked as a radiation zone.
Thaluikhain:
Pipes there are, and you put one in your pocket. Not as sweet as your longarm that shoots rockets, but quieter and handier in close quarters. A quick sweep turns up some auxiliary tools as well, cheap little things the length of your finger and half as thick, only good in a pinch.

Sweet Pea heads over to Slice's terminal. Slice heads for the door.

Examining the ruined stations, there are a few circuit-boards that look salvageable if you wanted to pry them out. Probably fetch a decent price at the pawn.
Darth Rabbitt:
You enter the passage and proceed cautiously forward, leaving bootprints in the deep dust. Your companions seem reluctant to follow. "Can we trust what we think we know?" asks one. "I've had so many different thoughts, and I don't know why we keep being attacked." The other is searching the chamber you've left, running his hands over the glyphs, pulling loose small objects here and there.

Ahead, the passage stretches onward, cluttered with stony debris.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"I have no idea," I admit to my companions, "but I'm not going to let that stop me from trying to find out what's going on here. Follow me or stay back as you see fit." That being said, I continue to head down the passageway.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

"Alright." I sigh, checking over my weapons, what they are now. I hurry over to join Slice, proferring him my map. I get touchy-feely in the way that worked before, trying to make him notice it. "Show me where we're going on the map."
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Do I have a "longarm that shoots rockets"? Actually, what else do I have? In any case, loot the circuit boards while the others work out where to go.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

SlyJohnny & Thaluikhain:
You take inventory. Besides some personal effects (including phones with no reception on this level), Jackoboy is carrying his pipe-club, a hypo of Liquid Courage™, a single BoomBoom™ and some sort of off-brand hardcore gyrojet rifle; and he's acquiring a few scavenged circuit boards. Sweet Pea has a similar hypo, grenade, and rifle, as well as a Switchblade™, a zipgun, a printed map, and some sort of datachip with official-looking markings.

Sweet Pea catches up with a muttering Slice, offering a view of the map. Jackoboy finishes his collecting, then follows.
Darth Rabbitt:
One of your companions jogs up to you. "Show me where we're going," he says, proffering a plaque of orange metal marked with a strange elaborate diagram. A moment of recognition, and you can see that the diagram is a map of the ruins. Your destination is plainly visible (at least to you), although the passage ahead has many turns and dead-end off-shoots.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"We're going over here," I reply, pointing to the destination on the map. "It might take a while to get there, though."